Wiki Posts
Search

MRX4R vs. MRX4X... Toss Up: User Experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default MRX4R vs. MRX4X... Toss Up: User Experience

Guys: As a dedicated Mugen guy, I just wanted to share some recent experience I had with both my MRX4R and my buddies MRX4X - we set the two cars up about identically, for use at FBF and used my DX3.0 spektrum system:

Bottom Line: Both cars are WAY more than capable, and driver skill level will be MUCH more important that either car!

A few observations about handling and rotation: YES- the "x" car will tend to feel like it rotates quicker, due to the shortened arms and the changes in the rear end. Where as my MRX4R has a slight on-power PUSH, I find that despite this push, it also feels a little more solid and stable exiting the turn, allowing me to be on-power quicker upon exit. On the other hand, the X certainly rotates around quicker, but I guess I still need to spend time dialing in the rear camber (or SOMETHING) because despite the quicker rotation, it doesn't feel as planted exiting turns, in my opinion as the "R" - so i would get on power a little later, with the X kit.

BODIES: Lately I've been really digging 2 specific bodies: the central body is just the BOMB- except its expensive... and the ProtoForm FRIZBEE is a blast- it's very stable at speed, BUT can cause your car to push a bit- and not dig into corner entries...

Body + Car suggestions: If you're like me and found the X to be quick on the rotate, but harder to get on the gas quicker, I suggest using the FrizBee on the X car - we tried this and it kinda felt like we found a great middle-ground between the two cars: Keeping the central on the R made the car track solidly and also enter corners a bit more authoritatively, while the FrizBee on the X car actually helped make the rear come around more smoothly, allowing me to be on the power quicker than with the central.

Again- Either car is AWESOME. I myself am NOT fully convinced that going to an X kit is the answer yet. I may very much stay with my "R" for next year- I'm just not sure. I would NOT be surprised if you saw guys with LONGER tracks (with faster, longer straights) staying with the R, while guys on shorter tracks MAY opt for the X, since it lets the car's ass rotate around a little quicker, as said above.

Hope this helps- I know I've been going crazy trying to figure out which option would be the best for my tracks - Again, I'm still not sold on the X fully- there are things I still prefer better about the R - BUT, clearly the X's claim to fame thus far is its incredible turn in and mid-turn characteristics.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

I am going to copy and paste this on the MRX4-X thread and give you my opinion on there.

Good post.

Paul
Old 10-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Tech Addict

Scud man,

I too set up both of my cars the same, with one minor difference, the "R" has been shortened and it has about a year and a half of dialing in.

I dropped the R on Kissimmee this weekend and made some laps the car felt good, could have made some adjustments and it would have been fine.

I then switched my radio over to the X and threw it down, It was very good at speed, a little lazy going in, a little ass happy coming out.

I ran the X and had my fastest single lap at that track 18.4 I think
had lots of bad luck though ... new car blues.

We will be going back to Kissimmee in December so I plan to have all of my $%*t in one sock
Old 10-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

i've had the r and the x i converted and initially i was un happy. my r was very quick in and out of the corner and with the x i didnt have the feel of the car planted and itpushed. after a week of playing with it i notice a broken part went out again and still wasn't happy. after a talk with r.collins of mugan and disguesing how i got my r to work i made appropiate adjustment to the setup of the x. it became alot better. with the help mike strack at the track one more replacement and i got a car that was incrediblly aggressive. more than a match of the r. body of choice is the parma r11. this combo is great if you have alot of 180's i would got to the central. i did change the shockoil and it made the car set a lot better in the corners for me. i did how ever had to turn down the d/r. i planto try a couple of other thing to move it closer to my r but right now i am enjoying the performance. the x rotates a lot more than the r. but all can be adjust via set up. you have to give the car time. to figuire it out
Old 10-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default MRXRX

Originally Posted by new3
i've had the r and the x i converted and initially i was un happy. my r was very quick in and out of the corner and with the x i didnt have the feel of the car planted and itpushed. after a week of playing with it i notice a broken part went out again and still wasn't happy. after a talk with r.collins of mugan and disguesing how i got my r to work i made appropiate adjustment to the setup of the x. it became alot better. with the help mike strack at the track one more replacement and i got a car that was incrediblly aggressive. more than a match of the r. body of choice is the parma r11. this combo is great if you have alot of 180's i would got to the central. i did change the shockoil and it made the car set a lot better in the corners for me. i did how ever had to turn down the d/r. i planto try a couple of other thing to move it closer to my r but right now i am enjoying the performance. the x rotates a lot more than the r. but all can be adjust via set up. you have to give the car time. to figuire it out
Could you please post your final set-up?
thanks
Old 10-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Tech Lord

First of all I do not understand why the 4X is using a different chassisplate while only the battery tray is different. I know they have to sell stuff but these changes will do nothing to the car.

At the worlds I noticed Salemi was using the old MRX4 (bended) upper front wishbones, I am still wondering why.....

So far I know the rear geometry of a 4X is builded back to an old MRX4 but only with slight shortened arms and the dampers are also builded back to the old short ones. In a simple way you can say the 4X is almost the same as the 4 and so I can almost say the 4x must almost drive the same as the 4.

Building the old 4 rear geometry and dampers on a 4R is done a lot, it will give a more agrassive steering which is needed on a lot of tracks. I currently using this setup and must say the 4R is not driving a lot different as the 4 in a same setup, it is only a bit directer but that is the 4R front geometry.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

The X seems 2 have more corner speed than the Mrx4 and the Mrx4r. IMO. The chassis on the X is stronger than the older chassis. And those eccentrics make a big difference in the car. I like the x over the regular 4 and the R.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

Smile

Originally Posted by brc358
Could you please post your final set-up?
thanks
my set up is stock except for a couple of things they are as follows

shock oil 500 wt
rear adjustor ho188 to the option with point up
i am using 40 all the way around with medium biteor better 74 67
go down to 38 if bite goes down
track width 252, 262
rebound stop front +1
upper arm spacer is 3
use lipo battery and regulator this gives you more power to your servo on a more consistant basis it makes a big difference at least to me.
make sure you set your camber after you set your ride height
still playing with ackerman right now i am using a
gearing 16/20 49/45
asside from that everything else is off the setup page
and the parma r 11 body