Search

Kyosho Evolva M3

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:25 PM
occ
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aaron_buran
OCC, with the front wheel base short I put the front tire squarely in the cut out line on the Central, the same for the Parma. Taking a measurement off the bumper doesn't work too well IMO. The best way to measure, independent of the car is to use your calipers from the outside of the front of the body to the centerline of the axle. This how Ciccarrello and I compare our body position from his Mugen to my Kyosho, or vise/versa.
Thanks Aaron, I will use your method to line up the Central body.

Also, has anyone played around with the front oneway & the front & rear axle heights?

In what situations would you use different heights?
Old 04-03-2008, 04:10 AM
Tech Adept

Both Toso and I moved our front axle from the middle position to high at the winter nats, it seemed to make it steer more. On that track the change was marginal.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Aaron,

With the front axles in the upper position, are you able to carry more speed through the tight and twisties? The car is great all around with superior high speed transitional ability with a basic setup. Time to start trying different setups...

'NOTHER QUESTION!

What is YOUR all around starting setup???

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:35 AM
Tech Adept

Have you tried my setup from the winternats? I don't think it get's any twistier than that. What track are you running at?

I used to have a starting setup, I really don't use one any more. When going to a new track I usually take my car to the track based on whatever I ran last. And considering that I have only raced my M3 once, I will likely take it just like it came off the track in Ft. Myer's. I will be at 301 in 2 weeks, based on what I saw there last year, I expect what I did at the winternats to have alot of oversteer. I expect to have to make it more driveable, longer wheelbase, heavier oil, different front shock position, longer upper links front and back, and probably change the front axle height back to normal (some combination of that).

The thing that makes 301 tough is that it has both high speed sweeping corners and 180's, which makes it difficult to get a perfect setup, you will have to give up some stability in the high speed stuff to get it trough the 180's, much like Toledo. Once I have a starting point for 301, that is where I will start again for the Capitol Classic.

2 more weeks!

Originally Posted by NitroHead
Aaron,

With the front axles in the upper position, are you able to carry more speed through the tight and twisties? The car is great all around with superior high speed transitional ability with a basic setup. Time to start trying different setups...

'NOTHER QUESTION!

What is YOUR all around starting setup???

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

A, I will be running the car at Floyd Bennet Field in Brooklyn first. Its a medium to small track like Ft. Myers except not so many 180's. It does have esses that need focusing on when going thru them. It's a really fun track.

Like you however, I'm trying to get an idea of a good starting point for 301 as well. In fact, I will see make it a point to be there when you are.
Giving it some thought it really makes sense to go with the longer wheelbase alla Rick Davis style. Im asking guys like Scott, Rick, Jim Adkins and you to get a good starting point

Here's my '07 achilles heel... At 301... After the sweeper... There's the right hander that goes into a left hand mini sweeper into a right hander bringing you right in front of the pits/drivers stand... WHEW! (got a chubby thinking about it) With my '05 I would NAIL that right hand section in front of the pits full throttle, but with my '07 I couldn't.

The other section I could nail with my '05 but not my '07 was just after that...
Once you negotiate the next right hander in front of the pits, there's the left hander that I would nail even with the little bump that would upset other manufacturers chassis's (is that even a word?) Any how, I know I had a bad setup with my '07 then because at the GLC Mr. Davis gave me some great advice that I didn't follow until after I got back home...

Here it is:
Short wheel base? You run a wide track width...
Long wheel base? You run a narrow track width...

I had the short WB with a narrow rear track width. (259) I changed it to 262 and what a difference! My '07 is super dialed now and very easy to drive fast.

BTW:Where is your winnernats setup? And what Empire bar are you running on your M3?

Thanks again Mr. Buran!

Have you tried my setup from the winternats? I don't think it get's any twistier than that. What track are you running at?

I used to have a starting setup, I really don't use one any more. When going to a new track I usually take my car to the track based on whatever I ran last. And considering that I have only raced my M3 once, I will likely take it just like it came off the track in Ft. Myer's. I will be at 301 in 2 weeks, based on what I saw there last year, I expect what I did at the winternats to have alot of oversteer. I expect to have to make it more driveable, longer wheelbase, heavier oil, different front shock position, longer upper links front and back, and probably change the front axle height back to normal (some combination of that).

The thing that makes 301 tough is that it has both high speed sweeping corners and 180's, which makes it difficult to get a perfect setup, you will have to give up some stability in the high speed stuff to get it trough the 180's, much like Toledo. Once I have a starting point for 301, that is where I will start again for the Capitol Classic.

2 more weeks!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:11 AM
Tech Adept

With the car short, you should run it wider. 262 sounds correct with a SWB.

Are you running the zero degree steering blocks? If not, start there, that will help your high speed push.

Also try running more rear bar, that will also give you more steering by getting the car to rotate.

I am not running an empire bar, I don't have one yet that fits my M3. I ran the blade bar at Ft. Myer's, any where from 60 - 90 (straight up and down, alot of rear bar)

My winternats setup is on this thread, a few pages back.

Originally Posted by NitroHead
A, I will be running the car at Floyd Bennet Field in Brooklyn first. Its a medium to small track like Ft. Myers except not so many 180's. It does have esses that need focusing on when going thru them. It's a really fun track.

Like you however, I'm trying to get an idea of a good starting point for 301 as well. In fact, I will see make it a point to be there when you are.
Giving it some thought it really makes sense to go with the longer wheelbase alla Rick Davis style. Im asking guys like Scott, Rick, Jim Adkins and you to get a good starting point

Here's my '07 achilles heel... At 301... After the sweeper... There's the right hander that goes into a left hand mini sweeper into a right hander bringing you right in front of the pits/drivers stand... WHEW! (got a chubby thinking about it) With my '05 I would NAIL that right hand section in front of the pits full throttle, but with my '07 I couldn't.

The other section I could nail with my '05 but not my '07 was just after that...
Once you negotiate the next right hander in front of the pits, there's the left hander that I would nail even with the little bump that would upset other manufacturers chassis's (is that even a word?) Any how, I know I had a bad setup with my '07 then because at the GLC Mr. Davis gave me some great advice that I didn't follow until after I got back home...

Here it is:
Short wheel base? You run a wide track width...
Long wheel base? You run a narrow track width...

I had the short WB with a narrow rear track width. (259) I changed it to 262 and what a difference! My '07 is super dialed now and very easy to drive fast.

BTW:Where is your winnernats setup? And what Empire bar are you running on your M3?

Thanks again Mr. Buran!
Old 04-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Aaron, I will switch back to the zero degree blocks and feel her out.

BTW: Rick should have a batch of rear sway bar kits ready soon.

See you in two weeks, lunch is on me.

With the car short, you should run it wider. 262 sounds correct with a SWB.

Are you running the zero degree steering blocks? If not, start there, that will help your high speed push.

Also try running more rear bar, that will also give you more steering by getting the car to rotate.

I am not running an empire bar, I don't have one yet that fits my M3. I ran the blade bar at Ft. Myer's, any where from 60 - 90 (straight up and down, alot of rear bar)

My winternats setup is on this thread, a few pages back.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:16 AM
Tech Adept

The three versions you are reffering to represent the last 2 generations of the car. I see no reason to go with the M3, while the old cars were good, the new car provides many more tuning options that the old car does not have.

For a surface/track where you need max steering, I think that setup is pretty good. But keep in mind it was only based on one week at Ft. Myer's. As we run the car more, in the next 2 weeks, look for more information on this thread.

This is the best place for information, I would start be reading this thread, especially the last 3 - 4pages.

The only hop up that I think you need is the RRR brake pad set, which is mentioned. I also recommend partially tapping the plastic, it will save your wrist and make assembly / re-assembly much easier.

Originally Posted by K-DirtDobber
Ok fellas........

100% Green in 1/8th onroad, but always wanted the "F1 car" of onroad. I'm an experienced 1/8th offroad racer/builder, 50% Kyosho sponsored, been racing 1/8th offroad for about 8yrs. I asked my offroad contact at Kyosho for an email address of one of our onroad brothers, but in the meantime I was told to dig into this Forum by many.

I dibble-dabbled in onroad for a while (1/10th sedan & HPI Supernitros) so I am not 100% green in onroad itself. 301 Raceway, MD is in driving distance so I'd like to be able to race here and there and not take it as seriously as I do Offroad (that's how it starts, right?), BUT I do not believe in bullzhit equipment, I like the best so dont RTR me.

1) Kyosho all the way......no other considerations, but is there any reason I should even consider anything but the M3 or WC if cost is not the issue? I see there are 3-versions of the Evolva. Wussup with that?

2) aaron-buran; is your posted setup a good starting point? if not, who is the welcoming committee guru in these here parts?

3) where can I find complete build tips for the Evolva? Offroad is different, but if you told me you were getting a 777WC I could give u a list of must-have options and could mark-up the instructions with tips.........Any place to find that for onroad?

Just like offroad, I'm sure you guys answer these questions 1000 times a month..........please bear with me.

Newbie-with-tax-check.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

You must have the empire goodies, empirercracing.com covers everything. If your using a lipo rx pack go to ybslowinc.com for a brass battery tray.

......also, please help with some Must-Have onroad websites for info, hop-ups, etc.

Don't know much about RcTech, but is this the biggest Onroad Forum? I don't see many posts in SGRID. Trinity Techtalk any good for onroad? (don't assassinate me for that question).

Last edited by NitroHead; 04-09-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Try Kamikaze Racing for the brass tray, their prizes are good.

http://kamikazetoysandhobbies.com/home.htm
Old 04-09-2008, 07:04 AM
rjr
Tech Adept

I see no reason to go with the M3...
I think Aaron meant to say "I see no reason NOT to go with the M3..."

Last edited by rjr; 04-09-2008 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Tech Adept

Uh., yeah... sorry didn't have my cup of coffee yet.

Originally Posted by rjr
I think Aaron meant to say "I see no reason NOT to go with the M3..."
Old 04-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Adept

does anyone know if the serpent starter box can be used with the kyosho m3 and which bracket on the box fits. thanks

Last edited by FITO; 04-10-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

No, every four days
Old 04-09-2008, 08:25 PM
occ
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Extra parts needed.......
front bumper, all arms, belts ?!?!?

I figure there's probably something I need to get that only you guys would know from experience.

email me if you can, please; [email protected]

thanks.
With spares, I usually have a few sets of belts & gears for both clutch & gearbox in all sizes. A couple of bumpers & 1 set of front & rear bulk heads, all the arms & the rear body mount.

I guess the quantity spares kept depends on the budget & how quickly you can parts if you need to order.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.