Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Belt Drive vs shaft drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Belt Drive vs shaft drive

What is the benefits of belt drive vs shaft drive ?
Old 11-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

A better weight distribution, I think. With a belt kit, the suspension geometry is more simetrical, no ?
Old 11-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

yay i love these threads1

all the top cars have belts. shaft drive is simple, tough, and buttery smooth, however belt drive seems to be the top choice for onroad since fouling of the belts is a non issue in onroad. but offroad 4wd cars use shaft drive cus its tough and sealed so it dosnt get very dirty.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Tech Lord

It is all about the power of the motor. Simple science formula: Action = reaction.

The power that the motor can produce will also create a negative action on the housing of the motor and so in the chassis,
Powering a shaftdrive will give a roll movement in the chassis and can cause an unbalanced/unpredicted steering movement also known as torque steer.

In a betltdrive the reaction power is converted in a way to push the rear end to the ground and so to create more grip which makes the car more stable and balanced in a corner.

Is it noticeable ?
Yes if you are an advanced driver driving the fastest laptimes and no/slightly if you are just driving for the hobby somewhere on the street.
As a parking driver it is wise to go for a shaft, belts are to sensitive for dirt and will give a lot of maintenance.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Both types of chassis's have advantages and disadvantages. At the moment, belt drive is the flavour of the month with manufacturers.

My advice to you is practice, practice & practice. Work on your driving ability and setup. At the end of the day it comes down to driving ability and your setup... ohh and some luck to stay out of trouble as well "To finish first, first you must finish!"

Best of luck!
Old 11-07-2007, 05:34 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by hooked_on
Both types of chassis's have advantages and disadvantages. At the moment, belt drive is the flavour of the month with manufacturers.

My advice to you is practice, practice & practice. Work on your driving ability and setup. At the end of the day it comes down to driving ability and your setup... ohh and some luck to stay out of trouble as well "To finish first, first you must finish!"

Best of luck!
yup, totally agree...

i've used my shaft car and beaten all my frd's belt cars. for now at least.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Is it difficult to replace broken belt ?

I wish to buy GS Vision touring car 1/10 which is belt drive.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vic88my
Is it difficult to replace broken belt ?

I wish to buy GS Vision touring car 1/10 which is belt drive.
It can be a tricky task depending on the car. I have always found it a challenge, but that might be because i am Noob... I have always liked drive shaft cars as they are easy to work on. Problem with a drive shaft car is the crown gear & pinion is the weakest spot on the car. Also becasue it is right with the diff the extra heat created can cause issues with the diff itself as well.

At the end of the day, it is your driving ability that counts. Get a car that you can get parts from your LHS though.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

all the cars that run and win at my local track including mine are belt driven, like anything at first it may be tricky to change your belt but over time you get better and quicker at changing it, also some cars have upgrade h/d belts which should last you a long time I have run my car about every week for about 10mths and it has 3 belts and none have broken yet.
hope this helps
Old 11-09-2007, 04:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

upgrade h/d belt ? what is that ?
Old 11-09-2007, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

upgrade to a tougher belt h/d heavy duty, I got my team magic g4s which came with stock TM belts and this car has the option to upgrade to kfactory belts better quality tougher belts.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

correct me if I am wrong but isnt it all about power delivery?better with belts than shaft??I think most of the top cars are belt drive=mugen seiki,kyosho V1RR,team magic g4S/+ any other ??xray??
Old 11-09-2007, 07:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

one major concern that hold me back from buying belt drive car is that everybody is saying that shaft drive is more durable. My place here got about 15% of sand and pebbles on the area.

Is it really that vulnerable as everyone is saying and advising ?

Actually, I want to buy GS Vision touring car. Everyone saying belt drive very sensitive to dust, sand and dirt.

Is it really that terrible for belt drive ?

I don want to spend a lot of money. Now buy belt drive and then next month having to buy another car which is shaft drive.

I don't want any stereotype or subjective opinions.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vic88my
one major concern that hold me back from buying belt drive car is that everybody is saying that shaft drive is more durable. My place here got about 15% of sand and pebbles on the area.

Is it really that vulnerable as everyone is saying and advising ?

Actually, I want to buy GS Vision touring car. Everyone saying belt drive very sensitive to dust, sand and dirt.

Is it really that terrible for belt drive ?

I don want to spend a lot of money. Now buy belt drive and then next month having to buy another car which is shaft drive.

I don't want any stereotype or subjective opinions.
I believe that FW05T+ is far better car than the GS Vision, and if you're saying that where you run there is a lot of sand/dust, FW05T+ is even better!
Go for it and you won't regreat!
Now there is a new FW06, that comes with a better radio and digital servos, plus some other upgrades. Consider this car too if you can find it.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Get the Kyosho FW05 or 06 or you'll be giving yourself the shaft.

You could also look at the Kyosho Inferno GT car and give everyone else the shaft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.