Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigjez
Nice if you dont mind what did you use to cut it.
Dremel and a cutoff wheel.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrz93
nice gary!!
the only thing negative i can say is the pipe is too far out
hope to see it soon
Why do you think it's too far out, Jay? The tip just sticks through the body now - I can see the smoke trail for a change, and the left rear tire isn't covered in oil...sounds ok to me!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gary NJ
Why do you think it's too far out, Jay? The tip just sticks through the body now - I can see the smoke trail for a change, and the left rear tire isn't covered in oil...sounds ok to me!
I'd use one o those silicone stinger extentions instead I'm just thinking that with that long of a wire it would bend easier and also more close to and tap of boards or people running into you...
But I'm just trying to help...seriously as said in an earlier posts these conversions and how far u went with machining ur own chasis is awesome...I'm sure the building and thought was half the fun!!!! I aplogize to focus on the only negative I found we are racers helping wach other out..I never intended to diminish the talent u have...excellent job I'd like to see that in person! Great job!!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd use one o those silicone stinger extentions instead I'm just thinking that with that long of a wire it would bend easier and also more close to and tap of boards or people running into you...
But I'm just trying to help...seriously as said in an earlier posts these conversions and how far u went with machining ur own chasis is awesome...I'm sure the building and thought was half the fun!!!! I aplogize to focus on the only negative I found we are racers helping wach other out..I never intended to diminish the talent u have...excellent job I'd like to see that in person! Great job!!

I tought the same thing about the pipe. Its very likely to get hit from time to time... I use the silicon stinger and also a good idea to cut the body so that it helps prevent the smoke from going to the rear tire. During the Byron's race I got hit and my stinger came off but the way I cut the hole for the stinger helped prevent smoke from getting on the rear tire for the rest of the race.

It is great to see so many cool GT conversions!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jneg
What are you running? We can't help you if we don't know what you drive, plus it is great to see pics of each others cars.
Mugen MBX-6 eco

Old 06-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Tech Champion

I don' trust those silicon stingers. I think they rob power. I was also concerned about oil on my rear left tire, and tried the stinger. But I didn't like the sound. Maybe it's only sound and the performance difference is only perceived.. But I just don't like those things..
Old 06-30-2011, 06:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by s.l.c.
Mugen MBX-6 eco

Lets see it without the shell on.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Nothing to apologize about, Jay - I just wanted to hear what you thought, because you may have seen something I hadn't considered. One other negative of the way I mounted it is that it puts (a little) more weight towards the outside of the chassis - never good for handling.

Remember my original bumper at FBF - THAT idea didn't work out so good No matter how long I've been doing this, there is always something else to learn. And building iy WAS half the fun....

You missed a good race at Chaplin last Sunday.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gonzo RR
I tought the same thing about the pipe. Its very likely to get hit from time to time... I use the silicon stinger and also a good idea to cut the body so that it helps prevent the smoke from going to the rear tire. During the Byron's race I got hit and my stinger came off but the way I cut the hole for the stinger helped prevent smoke from getting on the rear tire for the rest of the race.

It is great to see so many cool GT conversions!
I don't use the stinger extensions, they do affect power output. I've also seen cars get hit too many times and tuck the extension inside the body which oils down the tire almost instantly. I cut a 30mm hole in the side of the body inline with the exhaust. I also make up a deflector from scrap lexan and attach it to the inside of the body with rivets. It's a simple L shape with tabs for the rivets. I make it wide enough so that the inner edge is approx. 10mm from the side of the pipe. This gets almost all of the exhaust out of the body and any that doesn't can't reach the rear tire.

Rick
Old 06-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Rick!
Here are some pics of the Byron Challenge Race! It was really nice seeing some new and old GT racers! We sure have the best of the best running at Leisure Hours.

Last edited by Gonzo RR; 06-30-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Great pics, GonzoRR!!! Man, it makes me wish that I could have attended!! I hope to make the Byron's race next year with GT, 200mm and 8th scale Lola in tow as well.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JLock
Great pics, GonzoRR!!! Man, it makes me wish that I could have attended!! I hope to make the Byron's race next year with GT, 200mm and 8th scale Lola in tow as well.
I had a great time! Perfect weather all weekend, lots of track time, great people to race with... what else can you ask for? You gotta make it next year!
Old 06-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Vessell
I don't use the stinger extensions, they do affect power output. I've also seen cars get hit too many times and tuck the extension inside the body which oils down the tire almost instantly. I cut a 30mm hole in the side of the body inline with the exhaust. I also make up a deflector from scrap lexan and attach it to the inside of the body with rivets. It's a simple L shape with tabs for the rivets. I make it wide enough so that the inner edge is approx. 10mm from the side of the pipe. This gets almost all of the exhaust out of the body and any that doesn't can't reach the rear tire.

Rick
Good idea...see I face my pipe towards the ground w/o that silicone...
Can u post pics of that deflector?
Old 06-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Good idea...see I face my pipe towards the ground w/o that silicone...
Can u post pics of that deflector?
jay the body i gave you had the deflectors hes talking about?
Old 06-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Gonzo RR
The best pic of them all ...I'll be there next time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.