Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by WildBillMassey
Couple of reasons....

1. When I place my order from Ipanema, I have to wait two weeks before it ships, therefore my customer has to wait, and I don't like to treat my customers that way.
2. They are too expensive (my Cost & Shipping)
3. Sweeps Rock!
I can understand your first two points but the last one has me perplexed. I've raced against the Sweeps GT tires and the traction between them and the Ipanemas was not that different. I'm not trying to start anything but it seems everyone thinks that Sweeps Tires are the greatest thing since sliced bread! I like the option of mounted versus unmounted and the new wheels but other than that I don't see a what all the hoopla is all about.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I changed tires from Ipans to Sweeps with no other changes and consistantly knocked 3 seconds off my lap time, and the tires feel more consistent throughout the entire race. For me, Sweeps Rock! Mostly it could be what we race on the Sweeps work, and what you race on the Ipans work best. I didn't mean to offend anyone. Sorry.

Last edited by WildBillMassey; 09-26-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Tech Adept

No offense taken Bill, your cool!
Old 09-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kchamp
No offense taken Bill, your cool! __________________ Kevin Chamberlain
Kevin,

I think set up varies for different people. I ran ipanema for 2 years, could never get the rear end to hook up.. Tried every thing that every experienced driver advised and gave up.... switched backed to pmt and wondered why I ever stopped running them.

Ipanema offers a lot of shores, different inserts.. For a pro driver who can afford to have all the shores and inserts makes sense..

Me I'm just an average hobbyist, too many tuning variables are a headache for me.. So go with what works for me.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Tech Adept

I'd consider myself an average hobbiest too, I think the biggest reason I like the GT class is not alot of tuning and set up needed. As an example, it took me a whole season this year just to figure out that my tires weren't hooking up because I was running too low shore for the track conditions, duh!! The Ipanemas work great for me, but I'm glad there is more choices in tires out there!
Old 09-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You guys hit the nail on the head. At one time, there was not much as far as tire choices when racing GT. Now, there is at least a half dozen choices of tires for the GT community to use. Same holds true with the bodies. So, just go with what works for you and your setup and don't worry about what the next guy runs. No reason for any drama at all; just choose your weapons, hit the track running, and see you at the finishline.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:30 AM
Tech Adept

Its all good!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i have sweep on my gt1 and ipanema on gt2 i like them both but i really like d sweep. i have d non exp version. did any1 tried the exp yet?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I am running the EXP and they are great. I run on an un-prepped parking lot track and they hook up very well.

With that being said, I have not tried Ipanema's, so I may have to order some soon to compare.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default Cobra GT

Anyone know if the Serpent Cobra GT will be OEM with a centex (sp?) clutch???
Old 09-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Chris K
I think its going to be awhile before you see that car. Informed sources have told me it will require a new chassis(engine needed to be moved so it would fit with the 2 speed) and different diff gear ratios to start with.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Addict

Well I have used OFNA, Alpha, IMEX and Ipanema. The Sweeps here don't seem to work that well here. An experienced driver with
them was two laps behind in both qualifiers. He then switched to Ipamema and was competitive. This past race I used Ipanema tires and the Warrior body and got the TQ and 1st in the 45 minute A Main. The traction was great in both qualifiers and during the main.

As a side note for everyone that hasn't tried the Warrior just do it and you will feel how planted the car gets. The great thing is that the more you push the better it gets. Great job Ipanema!
Old 09-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Tech Regular

Where is here? Where did you get Alpha tires?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris K
Yes, exactly what WilliamW said. I saw the prototype that Desoto Jr was racing at the Ipanema GT Nats in Joliet, IL (Leisure Hours). They were still working on things as far as fit and finish (more modding was needed). However, once they get things worked out, it will be a force in the GT world. The prototype in the hands of Desoto Jr was one of the three fastest cars on the track and if everyone remembers, it placed second on the podium in the Open class. In my opinion, look for more info on it probably December 2010/January 2011.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Tech Addict

I'm in Puerto Rico. I got them from the local distributor, Pit Lane Hobby Shop. I don't know if they (Alpha) has a USA distributor yet, you can contact Tabushi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.