GT class--buggy-based on road!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 357 (100%+)

I agree but i still want one
Old 08-21-2010, 05:38 AM
Tech Adept

Questions?? Serpent gt chassis

Do you guys think the serpent gt chassis can fit the IGT2 bodies?
Old 08-21-2010, 07:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by xenite400bhp
Do you guys think the serpent gt chassis can fit the IGT2 bodies?
No he said it has a short wheel base... buggy style,like the dm-1 igt-1.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TC_Tuner
While the new Serpent looks great, this car looks the beginning of the end for GT from where I sit. Before you flame me, hear me out.

The way I see GT, as a class, it has the ability to draw both new blood as well as seasoned veterans. Scale appearance, durability (strong and able to run on less than perfect tracks), extremely drivable, and relatively inexpensive (compared to any other complete onroad race setup). Compare these attributes to a competitive 1:10 TC or 1:8, and there is a clear difference.

Today, there are a few different brand offerings in the GT scene. While some may be slightly different from the other, they are pretty much on par and competitive in the hands of similar drivers.

I've raced plenty of 1:10 TC and 1:8 onroad. I currently own an entire inventory and am able to run both of these classes today. With less time for r/c, I've really enjoyed the simplicity (setup & maintenance), low cost, and close racing when running my Inferno GT in a 'stock' or 'spec' class. If I wanted, I could easily drop a hotter motor and I could run and compete with the 'open' class.

To me, the Serpent looks to have several significant performance differences from existing GT cars. In my opinion, this creates a 'have' and 'have not's'. Would a current GT 'open' car with the same engine be able to compete with this car (assuming same driving skill)? By the looks of it, I'd say no...and that's where my concern is.

I liken the GT class to what Vintage Trans AM created for themselves in 1:10 electric. VTA cars are not about going faster, they are more about creating an even playing field. This attracted people because they felt they could compete based on their tuning and driving skill, and not have to constantly spend money in attempt to keep up with 'The Jones'.

I totally understand (and agree with) the desire for more GT brands, and understand for the desire for technology...but I look at this car and feel it is the wrong direction for long term growth or sustainability for GT.

Hopefully I'm wrong. The Serpent looks cool, no doubt. Shit, I want one My passion is onroad racing, and I've watched it swiftly shrink in size. GT has been one of the most exciting additions, and I only hope is for it to continue to grow.

Regards-
Eric
Eric,

Anything is possible and what you say does make sense. Company like Serpent does bring prestige to the class and along with that prestige comes a higher priced car.

However a higher priced car in the hands of someone like me would not mean I am going to lap the rest the people on here, because at the end of the day, its my driving and set up skills that will matter. So the ace driver in the RTR with less expensive motor will still show me up and prove that I simply bought the more expensive car because I have money burning a hole in my pockets.

Now the higher priced car in the hands of a factory or seasoned driver will make a difference. That's where classes come into play and that driver should not be aloud in Spec / Novice class.

Also with clear motor guidelines in the spec class, the more expensive chassis will not outshine the less expensive ones... As is the case with electric VTA, RCGT, TCS etc.

Last edited by Raman; 08-21-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Timmo
Raman,it's okay.It's all in the name of fun.

You ever think about getting back into nitro.
Timmo: I still have a nitro 1/10 scale which I use from time to time. I get bored easily, so i'll get the .21 itch real soon..
Old 08-21-2010, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i did alittle browsing on amain & other sites...i kinda don't see Serpent going to be pricey car...i hope serpent make this car a kit or race roller
Old 08-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bigjez
No he said it has a short wheel base... buggy style,like the dm-1 igt-1.
i see, thanks! but i just wish they can change to longer wheelbase same like the IGT2. love the bodies
Old 08-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gonzo RR
Front and rear brake very nice indeed!
Oh no! If serpent comes out with the gt car that means I gotta have one....

Keep us posted
+1
Old 08-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

If the serpent comes with a "race ready" clutch and 2 speed and cost 150 bucks more your still money ahead to get the serpent. The junk engine, 2 speed, clutch, and brakes that the Kyosho comes with are a joke and does keep people from jumping into the class at my local track. That 450 dollar entry cost looks good but in fact thats just a starting point. If the serpent comes with usable parts out of the box I think it will only help the class grow! The other issue with the Kyosho is parts. My guess is serpent won't leave you on on the side lines for months at a time waiting for parts like Kyosho has.

I like my Kyosho GT2 so don't get me wrong its just I don't see the serpent as the end of the class but just another option for us all to choose from.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
If the serpent comes with a "race ready" clutch and 2 speed and cost 150 bucks more your still money ahead to get the serpent. The junk engine, 2 speed, clutch, and brakes that the Kyosho comes with are a joke and does keep people from jumping into the class at my local track. That 450 dollar entry cost looks good but in fact thats just a starting point. If the serpent comes with usable parts out of the box I think it will only help the class grow! The other issue with the Kyosho is parts. My guess is serpent won't leave you on on the side lines for months at a time waiting for parts like Kyosho has.

I like my Kyosho GT2 so don't get me wrong its just I don't see the serpent as the end of the class but just another option for us all to choose from.
+1
Old 08-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

+1 TC tuner
Anyone knows how much is this kit? If this around $300 like my dm-one im gonna get one, i hope this is not same price with 966, this is why i gave up my 1/8 on road
Old 08-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
If the serpent comes with a "race ready" clutch and 2 speed and cost 150 bucks more your still money ahead to get the serpent. The junk engine, 2 speed, clutch, and brakes that the Kyosho comes with are a joke and does keep people from jumping into the class at my local track. That 450 dollar entry cost looks good but in fact thats just a starting point. If the serpent comes with usable parts out of the box I think it will only help the class grow! The other issue with the Kyosho is parts. My guess is serpent won't leave you on on the side lines for months at a time waiting for parts like Kyosho has. I like my Kyosho GT2 so don't get me wrong its just I don't see the serpent as the end of the class but just another option for us all to choose from. __________________ Thanks to Ipanema for the help!!
Old 08-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

The Serpent team was at Homestead RC Raceway today with the prototype Cobra GT. The main purpose was to shake down the car and break in an engine for next weeks Great Lakes Challenge in Toledo.

I asked Joaquin how the car was after his son put several tanks of fuel through the engine. He said, "Everything went well, considering this is the first time the chassis has been on a track. We are pleased, the chassis seems to have a good balance, a very low center of gravity, plus the 2 speed and clutch from our 966 performed to our expectations. It looks like the Novarossi N21-3T that meets the GLC Rules, will be a nice power plant for the Cobra GT in this upcoming race."

Photos taken today at Homestead RC Raceway.
Attached Thumbnails GT class--buggy-based on road!-21-08-10_1559.jpg   GT class--buggy-based on road!-21-08-10_1600.jpg   GT class--buggy-based on road!-21-08-10_1601.jpg   GT class--buggy-based on road!-21-08-10_1604.jpg   GT class--buggy-based on road!-21-08-10_1606.jpg  

Old 08-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

looks pretty cool... maybe it helps the class grow,i think it will but i would imagine it cant be that much cheaper then the buggy ?
Old 08-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 357 (100%+)

Any issue with the throttle servo like the buggy?

Last edited by jmoneym; 08-21-2010 at 06:52 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.