Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GT Speed Freak
Whats up GT racers. Man that was a great event. Thanks again Jeff Vargas and Ipanema Sports, Doug and the Homestead Crew for making it happen. The track was great with its technical infield and mile long straight away.
I ended up blowing my engine in the last 30 seconds of the GT2 Spec Main and I wanted to put up some pictures of it. The engine is an OFNA Force 28 that I have had since GTs were racing in the Forgass Series (Hopefully the GT cars can get back into that series). The engine has had a few gallons through it but it still had great pop, top end, and good gas mileage. I had a choice to run the V-spec in the GT1 Class but the Force was just performing better. When I flamed out in the pits in the Open class I decided to just save the car from the abuse of trying to catch up to Joaquin.
By the way Joaquin Congrats on your win and it was great to meet you and your father. I look forward to talking with both of you more on promoting the class and cutting some weight off of your car. Congrats to David Ortiz (you are fast man) and I look forward to seeing you guys at the next event.
As far as the GT2 Spec A-Main the engine had consistent power the whole 45 min. It was great because the power was always there even up to the end.
Attached are the engine pics
With 30 seconds left in the race I hit the halfway point on the straight the engine just died. I thought I lost but luckily the engine gave me enough of a lead to hang on for the win.
I was running a R5 OS plug that still works. The head did not show signs of pitting which would signify running lean. By the look of the failure it was due to fatigue fracture at the location pointed out with the screwdriver.
The front bearing cover was melted but the front and rear bearings felt ok (not much play).
Anyway that was my best engine ever so its going on the mantle.
There will be a DVD available of the event. I would expect it out in a month and a half.
Huge thanks to Dave “Super Dave” Warr of ELITE PERFORMANCE. He was turning 4.5 second pit stops in the GT2 Spec A- Main. He supplied all of the Byron’s Fuel as well as parts for both cars. Thanks man.
Thanks to Ryan with Byron Fuel for supporting the event and making a racing winning fuel.
I will see you guys at the next race.
Paul Roberts
Congrats Paul! You ran a great race. I can hardly wait for the DVD to come out. If things go well maybe we will see you at the FORGASS events next season!
Old 03-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rinolino

Basic Rules like:

Minimum weight.
Maximum amount of ports for the engine and cc.
Approved bodies, and size for openings.
Maximum car width
Maximum CC for fuel tank.
Approved tires or minimum specs for tires.

Rinolino,

100% agree with you on rules.

This is a starting class, Jeff took the first step into making this class massive and known, THANKS FOR THAT and obviously all the drivers who attended the race made this possible too.

As far as my point of view, i think basic rulebook must include :

- Weight definition (minimum).
- Engine Class (i dont mind to mix .21's and .28's of 5 or 7 ports, as far as they are all "offroad" engines as this class have this class of engines as original concept). .21+ "onroad" engines are totally different animals, and i think they cant be mixed with offroad platform engines.
- Bodies.
- Basic measures.
- WEIGHT.
- Fuel tank capacity.
- Tires, but not much on measures or "approved models" but just saying "only rubber onroad tires approved", i think its enough.

Well ... this is starting to roll ... next steps ?

cya !
Old 03-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tabushi
Rinolino,

100% agree with you on rules.

This is a starting class, Jeff took the first step into making this class massive and known, THANKS FOR THAT and obviously all the drivers who attended the race made this possible too.

As far as my point of view, i think basic rulebook must include :

- Weight definition (minimum).
- Engine Class (i dont mind to mix .21's and .28's of 5 or 7 ports, as far as they are all "offroad" engines as this class have this class of engines as original concept). .21+ "onroad" engines are totally different animals, and i think they cant be mixed with offroad platform engines.
- Bodies.
- Basic measures.
- WEIGHT.
- Fuel tank capacity.
- Tires, but not much on measures or "approved models" but just saying "only rubber onroad tires approved", i think its enough.

Well ... this is starting to roll ... next steps ?

cya !
I like the ideas from you and Rino. Can you clarify how you would determine what is an off road engine and what is an on road engine?
Old 03-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Powerplant should not be a main concern in the open class."Open" should remain as per Ipanema rules,we do want to see these cars taken to there limits.And the only way to find out is to have a class with very few limitations.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

As for "Spec" class,limiting powerplants is a must.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Doug M
Victor, it was a pleasure meeting you. I am glad to know you made it back to your home safely.

Thank you so much for getting so many quality pilots from Mexico to come race at Homestead. Those guys are fast, and so are you!

I hope I can visit you in Mexico next year.
Doug the plesure was mine to meet you all at homestead, am looking forward to bring you all to the next race in our facilites.

Take care
Attached Thumbnails GT class--buggy-based on road!-kyosho-ajusco-mexico.jpg  
Old 03-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Doug M
I like the ideas from you and Rino. Can you clarify how you would determine what is an off road engine and what is an on road engine?

Im not an engine guru, but "commercially availables engines" are clearly created under a concept ... ONROAD or OFFROAD. So differentiation would be natural.

For SPEC, i think a limit of "commercial pricing" would be enough, let say, engines under US$ 200 or so ... i do think Jeff way for this event in spec was good. Stock RTR engines + some extra low budget ones approved under a list.

This kind of cars :

... are intended for using .21 high reving ONROAD engines, but our cars :

... NOT.

If i want to race high reving and "high dollars" .21 onroad engines, i would buy a 1/8th onrad car as Mugen MRX4, Serpent 966 or Kyosho Evolva ...

In my opinion, this is an important separation to be made, specially in order into not transform the GT Class on a WALLET RACE.

anyway, just my 2 cents ...

cya !!
Old 03-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm big on realistic production bodies, not sloped open cockpit bodies, or big scoops on the tail end types. I hope this will be a consideration.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Tech Adept

I believe that limiting the engines by price will probably become a nightmare in the long run, taking the 1/10 sedan as an example I think we can just go by the # of ports to keep it simple, and yes some guys will modify the engines but then they will have a hard time making 5 minutes if we put a rule to limt the fuel tank size.

Rino Lino
Xtreme Racing Fuel.
RPM Hobbies.
Serpent America.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Im not an engine guru, but "commercially availables engines" are clearly created under a concept ... ONROAD or OFFROAD. So differentiation would be natural.

For SPEC, i think a limit of "commercial pricing" would be enough, let say, engines under US$ 200 or so ... i do think Jeff way for this event in spec was good. Stock RTR engines + some extra low budget ones approved under a list.

This kind of cars :

... NOT.

If i want to race high reving and "high dollars" .21 onroad engines, i would buy a 1/8th onrad car as Mugen MRX4, Serpent 966 or Kyosho Evolva ...

In my opinion, this is an important separation to be made, specially in order into not transform the GT Class on a WALLET RACE.

cya !!
+1

I don't care if they are faster, I don't want to drive a doorstop!
Old 03-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

We here in Mexico will mantain a low cost class as it is now. so we will be on the Spec Side, otherwise the car will cost more than an EVOLVA and will not perform as we spect.

I will post our rules for our 2010 championship later this week i will try to translate them becuse they are in spanish, but basically is to keep our cars as stock as possible.

We haven't tried many motors but i can tell you the the stock engine form the IGT works fine for several races but its wear is very fast so instead of buying the parts to reconstruct the motor we upgrade to the O.S. .21VG engine, it runs cooler, faster, its more reliable. and its cheap, we can get the motor in Mexico for around $240 US dlls.

In Mexico we don`t have as many choices like the Americans or Asian guys, so we must focus on one product.

We have been racing the car now for almost 3 years in a row, and i can tell taht the class is perfect in many ways. and its because

The car is not expensive
the maintenance is minimal (depends on the driver)
all the cars have the same things so the class is flat, what counts is driving skills and setup
the cars looks very nice on the track and considering that the car is a heavy weight and its very durable an tough.

in this race at homestead we watch the open class closely and the cars where really fast but at what cost, the novarossi engine cost around 600 dlls in the US and its only one second faster than David Ortiz using the O.S. .21 engine.

We need to focus in order to get a very nice class, very competitive and fun to do and of course make it very simple so new hobbyist around the globe can enter the amazing world of Inferno GT Racing.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

This kind of cars :

... NOT.

cya !!
+2

Your post hit the nail on the head. If you want to throw money at your car, race the open class. But, the results of the Homestead race shows that you don't need to throw a ton of money into your IGT-type car to be competitive.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Rinolino,

Thanks for participating on the discussion.

Number of ports i dont know if its a good idea. As i stated im not a engine expert, but lets take this idea :

- Port Limit for OPEN Class : 7

I will take as example the brand of engine that i race in offroad, GO ENGINES. Im using on buggy the GO Engines .21 7 port engine. In offroad, it competes with other high level engine brands no problem, novarossis, rbs, os, etc in offroad field this 7 port engine its on par to others.

Now in ONROAD, lets take 2 engines on .21 ONROAD with 7 ports :

- OS 21XZ-R
- Novarossi KANGAROO .21SYDWC

Im PRETTY SURE the offroad engine even on 7 ports, will not bee able to keep up with this 7 ports onroad engines.

Now, from 6 ports and under ... i agree with you ...
Old 03-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

I do have one thing to add that will eventually need addressing: OS Engines is replacing the OS 21VG with the OS 25XZ. At my LHS, the distributor already shows it to be discontinued. So, will the engine rules reflect the change in powerplants or will the newer engines be added as the older ones are phased out (like my Sportwerks M26 which was discontinued 1.5 years ago)?
Old 03-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Rinolino,

Thanks for participating on the discussion.

Number of ports i dont know if its a good idea. As i stated im not a engine expert, but lets take this idea :

- Port Limit for OPEN Class : 7

I will take as example the brand of engine that i race in offroad, GO ENGINES. Im using on buggy the GO Engines .21 7 port engine. In offroad, it competes with other high level engine brands no problem, novarossis, rbs, os, etc in offroad field this 7 port engine its on par to others.

Now in ONROAD, lets take 2 engines on .21 ONROAD with 7 ports :

- OS 21XZ-R
- Novarossi KANGAROO .21SYDWC

Im PRETTY SURE the offroad engine even on 7 ports, will not bee able to keep up with this 7 ports onroad engines.

Now, from 6 ports and under ... i agree with you ...
In my opinion, maybe the cost ceiling should be raced to $250 USD over the current $200 USD for spec class engines. I can see some difficulty in trying to police engines as far as number of ports but it is easy to know what engines fall at/under the $250 USD street price. Someone can do a spec comparison on all the engines under that price ceiling and if there is one that stands well above the others, then a ruling on whether that engine is legal to use for spec class racing can be made by the ruling parties of said race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.