Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You can also buy the upgrade taller gears seperately.
I just recently picked up a set from our LHS. I think they were around $23?

I could give you the part numbers off the packages if that would help?

We have done a little bit of offroad rallying with our IGT's here, so I have yet to install the tall gears.

You should talk a few other guys there into getting them and racing with us.

As far as this hobby goes, The IGT is about as much FUN as you can possibly have. You just can't help but grin driving one of these around.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ted , the GTP tires we are running last an entire season easy.
I have ran mine most every weekend and they are still good for a few more races, although Vegas might do them in due to the track size.

I am also curious on the life of the V-slick tires..... anyone who is running them??

It would be good to see how they compare to the GTP's.

The medial pro's look good, and similar to the GTP's. They come on 3 hardness ratings too, unlike the GTP's
Old 12-26-2007, 04:00 AM
Tech Regular

Default IGT Class

These things do look like a blast to run. With all the high speeds of 200mm and 1/8th scale, these look like they will be just fun to drive. I need another RC car like a hole in the head, but I might just get me one too!! The IGT I saw up close really looks like it needs just afew things. Ugraded servos, turnbuckles and maybe taller gears. With rubber tires, this seems like it could be a fun class. If they start running foam tires it will ruin the class. I hope they don't.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

The buggy on road class car is fun!! I kept my Serpent 835 for my fun class car, but that is now retired for my BIGAZZ GTP!! To be honest, if there was a race were bone stock GPTs and IGTs were out there, it would be very interesting! I don't know anybody who races, runs a bone stock car... We all make some modifications. I would like to see that we keep the mods to the electronics and suspention for stock class. This thing is a mutant compaired to my 960, Jammin truggy and 720!! I love it!!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GHETTOTEACHER
The buggy on road class car is fun!! I kept my Serpent 835 for my fun class car, but that is now retired for my BIGAZZ GTP!! To be honest, if there was a race were bone stock GPTs and IGTs were out there, it would be very interesting! I don't know anybody who races, runs a bone stock car... We all make some modifications. I would like to see that we keep the mods to the electronics and suspention for stock class. This thing is a mutant compaired to my 960, Jammin truggy and 720!! I love it!!
We're having a blast with them here at Tampa's SS Speedway. They're getting faster every weekend. I ran a few 15 second laps & a 15.6 last time out and most 200mm sedans are in the 13 to 14 second range; so they're not that far behind anymore here

We'll "school ya" on the IGT cars when you come down to Tampa
Old 12-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

On the subject of the Kyosho 55 shore V-Slick tire life, here’s my experience with them.

The rubber compound is the best I’ve tried out there so far. They’re sticky, have a super low sidewall and flat out work very well. The inner tire does need to be belted with duct tape all the way into the sidewalls because the foam insert doesn’t extend into the sidewalls. Once you’ve done that, the tires wear very good.

I rotate them after every run and I’m getting at least 2 weekends of racing out of them before they’re considered a practice set for me. We run 3 qualifiers (5mins) and 30 min mains at SS Speedway in Tampa.

Our track is 185’ X 85’ and we have a large right handed sweeper leading to our back straight that leads to another large sweeper before going into the infield area.

Since the track has a “dual” sweeper, the left front tires take the worst wear, but you have to consider the IGT cars are carrying a lot of speed thru those sweepers and just like real car racing, hard driving takes its toll on rubber.

The 60 Shore V-Slicks tires are working good too and they do last better than the 55s. If you like a little more “drift’ in your car then they will last for a good 3 or more race weekends at SS Speedway.

Like I said before, the Kyosho V-Slicks are working better than the other tires I’ve tried on my IGT. The Kyosho rubber is great quality.

When I compare the cost of racing my IGT to my 1/8 scale, the IGT wins hands down. It’s more fun too.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Can you please describe the "belting" process of the inner tire. If you have some pictures that would help quite a bit.

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Talking Schooled!!

Originally Posted by Jspeed
We'll "school ya" on the IGT cars when you come down to Tampa
Well I am a real teacher!! I'm game for being schooled! Show me what cha got!!! LOL Anyway, do you have any pictures of the track?
I also see that on your setup you are running 50K in your front diff. Isn't that cutting down on your steering and increasing tire wear?
I was gonna run for my initial runs 10K front 30K in the rear. Most tracks around here are technical with long straights though.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
Can you please describe the "belting" process of the inner tire.
I know that we belt tires so that they won't "pie cut" (tires stretching under acceleration) when we drive truggy. The most common way to belt tires is simple. Take a new tire and flip it inside out. After that, you take some duct tape and run a bead of tape around the inside of the tire. When you get around to the starting point, cut the tape and do not overlap more than a 1/4 inch. After your finished, flip the tire back and install the tire. The tape keeps the tire from pie cutting and has more of a contact patch with the ground.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Teacher, The IGT cars come from the factory with a paste in the front diff. The 50K silicon diff fluid is actually a little thinner than stock. I haven’t tried thinner oil in the front than in the rear because I like the way ‘spools’ drive on sedans on smaller tracks. You could try it and if it works let me know if it works for you.

Scott, The “belting” is just like in Off-Road. Take the tire and flip it inside out, trim the duct tape width so it covers the whole rubber and feeds into the inside of the sidewalls.

Run two layers of duct tape and flip the tire back the way they should be. Make sure you use the double sided take that comes with the Kyosho tires for the foam. The foam insert must be secured to the rim as per Kyosho instructions or the foam will wad up. Also make sure you wash & clean the rim & tire well so the CA glue sticks good. I also check the “bead after every run, sometimes they need a little more glue.

The IGT cars running the 55 shore V-Slicks get some serious traction, my car gets some major “wheel-hop” at some parts of the track. It reminds me of an old 60’s muscle car from back in the day.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trt3r
Ted , the GTP tires we are running last an entire season easy.
I have ran mine most every weekend and they are still good for a few more races, although Vegas might do them in due to the track size.

I am also curious on the life of the V-slick tires..... anyone who is running them??

It would be good to see how they compare to the GTP's.

The medial pro's look good, and similar to the GTP's. They come on 3 hardness ratings too, unlike the GTP's
One correction- The Medial Pro tires come in 4 compounds- 60 shore, 45 shore, 35 shore, and 25 shore. The shore ratings are for reference only, do not think of them like foam tire shore ratings. They are glued to a flat rim and have a super low profile. They do not use any sort of foam insert and do not require and belting or modification...other than maybe running a bead of glue to make sure they don't come undone. They have a molded-into the tire honeycomb insert. These tires last a long time.
I'll bring some to the Vegas race next month if anyone wants to pick some up.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Jspeed, I didn't think about the spool thing. My mistake. I'm so used to running a oneway! I see your point. I'm gonna open up these diffs and start cleaning. I hate messing with diffs....
I'll keep you posted with the 10K + 30K.. I'm heading to 301 this week for testing!
Old 12-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

JSpeed can you offer any tips for cleaning out the "paste" and refilling the diffs?
Old 12-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Teacher,

The Kyosho IGT comes with front brake only. Gotta think "spool" set-ups with this car. Good luck at 301, have some fun.

Eswlfse,

I just wipe out the paste, spray everything with WD40, wipe again, put it together, fill the diff about 7/8ths full with fluid, spin the gears to remove air bubbles and bolt it all together.

Make sure the spacer shim in the outdrive bearing goes into the same part of the diff housing( it sets pinion preload on the ring gear) Check it out before you pull the diff out of the front diff case.

Last edited by Jspeed; 12-26-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default F430

JUST NEED A CARBON WING
Attached Thumbnails GT class--buggy-based on road!-securedownload.jpeg   GT class--buggy-based on road!-securedownload-3.jpeg   GT class--buggy-based on road!-securedownload-4.jpeg   GT class--buggy-based on road!-securedownload-2.jpeg  

Last edited by pressure; 12-26-2007 at 07:30 PM. Reason: add pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.