GT class--buggy-based on road!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Our reason for introducing the GT cars at RC Pro Series events is to promote the growth of our sport.

A Kyosho Inferno GT are much stronger than the 1/10 & 1/8 scale on-road RC car currently being raced in America today. GT racers will spend more time enjoying their new cars instead of replacing broken belts, arms, bulkheads or bent chassis

Its entry price as an RTR in the $400 dollar range won’t send spectators into a “comma” when they learn the start up cost like the 1/10 & 1/8 scale Nitro powered on-road cars currently raced in America today.

The GT cars are BIGGER, more visible & realistic looking than the 1/10 &1/8 scale cars currently raced in America today for spectators to see and want to get started racing.

The GT cars offer the spectator =turned “Newbie RC Racer” the ability to practice, learn and enjoy their new RC experience on just about any surface; including an dirty parking lot or street. Try doing that with the 1/10 &1/8 scale cars currently being raced in America.

Since the GT cars can run on less than “ideal” racing surfaces, temporary “Exhibition” tracks & races can be set up by “clubs” where there are actually crowds of people so our sport actually has a chance to promote itself & grow.

That is of course if they really want our sport to grow. ( I say that because there are some of us in RC cyberspace that don’t want or care if RC racing ever grows in popularity, right?)

But the best reason of all, if my 1/8 scale decides that it wants to become a “Kit” again, I can pick it up with a broom & dust pan and fire up my low buck, almost indestructible, trusty 50+mph “Bone Stock” Kyosho Inferno GT and keep on having RC fun.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What worked or didn't work in the past doesn't neccessarily mean it will work or not work now. We can learn from the past and realize that the things that were tried in the past and died off, died off for a reason. I feel something different has to be tried to help grow the sport and this seems like the ticket. The pros of this have already been discussed.

We have a club (parking lot) track that has had a lot of spectators and the sport 1:10 class didn't really "bring" people in. Most of the guys running sport had friend's running pro so they started out in sport. With the GT cars, I think an interested spectator will like what they see and may not run away screaming when they ask about price. They will see them bashing the boards and continue to run and they will also see the touring cars bump a board and watch the driver pull the car from the track.

As in all racing, the rules need to be followed and enforced. Anything would fail if this isn't done. I also think the incentive for "moving up" will be the need for speed. Consider it like this, Craftsman Truck to Busch to Nextel Cup. We can have GT cars, to touring, to 1:8 open. I'd like to move up to 1:8 because of the speed and challange but i'm waiting till I have more experience and wins with my touring car. When I got into RC racing, I didn't buy my first electric touring car and think, this is the only car and type of racing I will ever do. I always expected to "move up". I think most people would think the same thing. It's a good place to start.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Well said Jet MD.

GT racing is a good thing for our sport.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:53 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JetMD
............. Consider it like this, Craftsman Truck to Busch to Nextel Cup. We can have GT cars, to touring, to 1:8 open. I'd like to move up to 1:8 because of the speed and challange but i'm waiting till I have more experience and wins with my touring car. When I got into RC racing, I didn't buy my first electric touring car and think, this is the only car and type of racing I will ever do. I always expected to "move up". I think most people would think the same thing. It's a good place to start.

This is funny. IGT to Touring to 1/8 = Craftsman Truck to Busch to Nextel?? More like: Spec Yellow Cab to Busch to Nextel.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Hi, I'm Southern California so perhaps my opinions have no merit for your venue but on the subject of having or not having an IGT class, this is something you should open yourselves to for allowing entry level interest to join the hobby and maybe take the class even further.

From the other posts about going with 1/8 instead of investing with IGT, this all boils down to a preference. The fact is, 1/8 has always been there and will always be there with all its costs ($$$) and complexities. For those who can handle it or who want to take on the challenge thats great! However there are others who just want a little weekend fun without a lot of "rocket science"

After all these years the hobby has seen many fads and yet certain classes have remained, 1/8 nitro onroad, 1/8 nitro buggy, 1/12 electric onroad, 1/10 electric buggy.

The latest addition has been 1/10 touring in both nitro and electric and that has started the same way IGT is starting now. Converted offroad 4wd buggies with scale looking onroad bodies. More than 10years ago people thought of 1/10 touring as car to have fun with after the Tamiya F1 races. Ironically it has outlasted and surpassed F1

Soon Serpent will be releasing a nitro F1 car, will you be racing that over the IGT? Will you be rejecting IGT or any of its other forms to allow a more expensive less popular F1 nitro class to run just because its from Serpent?

Its your track guys. Run it how you want it be it like a clubhouse or frathouse its yours to choose. Just remember, to many others, this is just a hobby.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Just remember, to many others, this is just a hobby.
The above quote makes the most sense above all else that has been stated.

I like the idea of a GT class.
I would like it even more if the class was allowed to evolve on its own...meaning don't put any rules to it and let the people driving the cars figure out how they want to run.

When Monster trucks started as a racing option...it was pretty much a free for all, very relaxed and a lot of fun. People competed with each other and figured out what it took to win with there trucks. Over a few years, after the following for the class grew, rules were easily adopted to help "even up the racing".

Just because an "inexpensive" option for RC racing is availabe....doesn't mean the RC racing community will see a huge surgence in attendance.

There are the HARDCORE RC racer.
There are the RACE for Fun racer
There are the IT LOOKS COOL but I JUST DON'T HAVE A RACING INTEREST type person.

Who is this class geared to.

Doug
Old 11-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

The greatest appeal the IGT classes offers is to the racer that might want to have a low cost option to on-road and the millions of people in America that see RC racing as a crazy, expensive and difficult to justify pastime.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
...a low cost option to on-road and the millions of people in America that see RC racing as a crazy, expensive and difficult to justify pastime.
Hehehe. Just like fishing, hunting, cycling, skiing, golfing and almost every other grown-up hobby.

I like the iGT class idea, for sure. And unless I own one, I just don't want to be on the track at the same time.

doug
Old 11-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Well I can tell you that GT class here in Jackson is for the person that wants to have fun club racing... Not the gear head... And being on the track with them at the same time is not an issue, everyone is real respectfully.. and the GT is not any faster then stock and most likely slower because it designed for the new person wanting to take the step into R/C but with out taking the jump in to R/C. It is for the person that wants to come out on Saturday race and the not think about or touch the car all week, then do it again next weekend or in our case, one time per month. GT offers just that. We did start late in the season with this class, but the first time we had 2, the next time we had 8 and I know of many others that are purchasing cars and a good number of them are new, for next year. The bottom line, at the Bass Pro races (One time per month, and we expouse R/C to 8,000 to 10,000 people a day, we got very little interest in the 1/10th Sedan, even when we put together a package to get them started for around 400.00 RTR, Tires, Charger, the works... But the Nitro... All I can say is WOW!!!!! they come out of the wood work to watch and the GT class had the most watching... NOT 1/10th Nitro Sedan, but GT... I asked a few of the people watching, the reasons, they are slower, they are bigger and the look alot of fun. The Sedans are just too fast and the cost WAY to much just for a little fun.... I got this answer out of 90% people I asked about it.

Remember we race at Bass Pro to show off R/C... To get new people into RC... I dislike parking lot racing, because of the work, time and surface issues, but you have to take R/C to the people, because they don't come to your track to see it.

GT is a great place for people to start in Nitro...

What will happen with it in 4 years, who cares... I have seen 1/12th scale come and go in a single season. I have seen gas truck die in 3 months... And as far as the rules... People really think it matters, even when they are just learning to drive. Our goal is to stop the spending (wasting) of money and let you work on your skills. We had a Factory driver here and he took one of the GTs out, he ran the track in 18.7 seconds, the rest of the GT people ran it in 22 to 23 seconds... So do you really think that if we opened the rules up it would make a difference? I say no, but try to tell that to the people that are running GT... They want rules and they want the class teched... not the same Mod Sedan, 19T Sedan and Nitro Sedan... People really did not care to have a tech of the top 4... We did anyway....

Look, GT is not for the hard core racer... it is for the new person, or weekend racer. So please do not mix the two when you are thinking about GT.

Hope this helps what is happening with GT...

PS> I would like to see one set of standard rules, so people can travel meet others, and enjoy a great race... out of town...
Old 11-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JVStrat
This is funny. IGT to Touring to 1/8 = Craftsman Truck to Busch to Nextel?? More like: Spec Yellow Cab to Busch to Nextel.
Ok, how about go-carts to Busch to Nextel?
Old 11-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Tech Adept

I totally agree with what people are saying about accessibility. People need to be able to turn up, ask a few questions and then spend some money to be able to race the next month/week or whatever. Think about how much you spent on your first RC...

The further the rules stray away from what comes in an rtr box, the further the appeal will decrease. Racing is about fun, and the less of that there is, or percieved to be, the less people will be attracted to the hobby.

Keep it simple, stop thinking about what you want to race, and think about what new people will find cheap and easy.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bozla
I totally agree with what people are saying about accessibility. People need to be able to turn up, ask a few questions and then spend some money to be able to race the next month/week or whatever. Think about how much you spent on your first RC...

The further the rules stray away from what comes in an rtr box, the further the appeal will decrease. Racing is about fun, and the less of that there is, or percieved to be, the less people will be attracted to the hobby.

Keep it simple, stop thinking about what you want to race, and think about what new people will find cheap and easy.
Amen.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Default RC Pro Rally Car Racing Rules

[These Rally Car rules sent by the President of RC Pro.

RC Pro “Rally” Rules

These are new classes and as such the rules are being developed. Our goal with the spec class is to find a low cost entry class to get new racers interested in the onroad side of our sport.

Kyosho Inferno GT Spec Class Rules:
*If it doesn’t say you can do it, you CAN’T DO IT.

Car Rules
1. Upgrade brakes.
2. Upgrade radio gear (servos, linkage, receiver and radio).
3. Add sway bars (front and rear)
4. Shock and diff oils can be changed.
5. Any shock position, caster position, ect., provided by the car (no drilling holes).
6. You may use a starter box, but pull-start must remain intact and operational.
7. Clutch gearing may change (14-15 first gear, 17-18-19 second gear, kyosho only).
8. Replacing threaded links with turnbuckles.
9. Kyosho V-slick in any of the 3 compounds for tires. Treaded kit tires are allowed.
Tires must be fully covered by the body. Treaded kit tires may be used. Tires must be
rubber. NO foam tires. Tire must be used as produced by the manufacturer.

Body Rules
Must be a full body (GT, sedan etc no buggy, truck, suv bodies)
1. Body must be cut on the manufacturer line.
2. You may cut the rear of the body no higher than 1 1/8th” when sitting flat on a surface.
3. Side window may be cut open for fueling.
4. Front window may be cut, but no larger than 3”x3”.
5. Rear window may be cut, but no larger than 2”x2”.
6. You may cut a hole for the glow plug ignitor.
7. Fueling access may be cut but may not connect with other holes.
8. Wing must be attached to the body and not the chassis.

These are the only changes allowed to the vehicle from the box.

Kyosho Inferno GT SS Class Rules:

Car Rules
1. Must be Kyosho GT or Kyosho buggy converted to a GT car.
2. Engine may be changed to any .28 or smaller engine.
3. Pipe may be changed to any legal pipe. Exhaust pipe must be covered by the body.
Max Stinger diameter - 8mm
Max stinger length 15mm
Must meet standard decibel level rule. The maximum sound level is 85 decibels, measured at a ninety degree angle to the side of the car from a distance of 30 feet, 3 feet above the ground, with the car at maximum throttle and at all speeds.
4. Any chassis or suspension upgrade is legal providing the vehicle maintains the proper measurements as listed below..
5. Wheelbase
Minimum 270mm - Maximum 330mm
6. Minimum weight 112oz. (7lbs) Dry (no fuel).
7. Kyosho V-slick in any of the 3 compounds for tires. Tire must be used as produced by the manufacturer.
Maximum tire diameter - 3.6 in.
Maximum width - 1.9 in.
Tires must be fully covered by the body. Treaded kit tires may be used. Tires must be rubber. NO foam tires.
8. Fuel system- Maximum capacity 125cc this includes fuel tank, filter(s) and fuel line from tank to carb.
9. Center diff - may be solid spool or diff. Vehicle may be 1 or 2 speed.

Body Rules
2. You may cut the rear of the body no higher than 1 1/8th” when sitting flat on a surface.

1/8 Rally Open Rules:

Car Rules
1. May be any 1/8 buggy converted to run as a GT type car.
2. May use any engine .28 or smaller.
3. Pipe may be changed to any legal pipe. Exhaust pipe must be covered by the body.
Max Stinger diameter - 8mm
Max stinger length 15mm
Must meet standard decibel level rule. The maximum sound level is 85 decibels, measured at a ninety degree angle to the side of the car from a distance of 30 feet, 3 feet above the ground, with the car at maximum throttle and at all speeds.
4. Wheelbase
Minimum 270mm - Maximum 330mm
6. Minimum weight 112oz. (7lbs) Dry (no fuel).
7. Any tire built for 1/8 rally type racing. FOAM tires OK. Tire may be slick or treaded. No sectioning, narrowing or cutting of the tire carcass allowed. Grooving or sipping is allowed. Any inner foam is allowed.

Maximum tire diameter - 3.6 in.
Maximum width - 1.9 in.

Tires must be fully covered by the body.

8. Fuel system- Maximum capacity 125cc this includes fuel tank, filter(s) and fuel line
from tank to carb.

9. Center diff - may be solid spool or diff. Vehicle may be 1 or 2 speed.

Body Rules

These are new classes and as such the rules are being developed. Our goal with the spec class is to find a low cost entry class to get new racers interested in the onroad side of our sport.

The GT SS class is a step up from the spec class to allow for racers who want to go faster once they feel they are ready.

The Rally Open class is for those racers who have offroad buggies and want to try onroad for a reasonable price. A typical offroad buggy will need to change tires, install a front bumper under the body to help support the body and install a full body on the car. Roughly $100 to change a buggy over.

The SS & Rally Open class may be combined but scored separately at certain events depending on number of entries.

Races may be ran on all paved tracks or a combination of paved and dirt/grass tracks.

Qualifiers may be 5 minutes or more.
Mains may be 5 minutes or more.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What is the purpose of limiting the size of the rear window?
Old 11-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Tech Rookie

The inferno GT is a great car and introducing the GT class is a great idea but I think you should have a intro level with rules to keep the cost down and a expert level where you can modify as much as you want.

If you need alot of Inferno GT info look at this http://infernogt.proboards102.com/index.cgi

Kyosho is the way

Last edited by headhunter; 11-06-2007 at 03:55 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.