Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Originally Posted by lnc0321
Thanks man!!! The serpent looks great but I am not sure if I want to spend around 1k on a car to try a new class.
Serpent have a ready to run gt that will be release soon at a very good price, if you want to know more details of this car feel free to call Serpent America 305-677-3253.
Attached Thumbnails GT class--buggy-based on road!-image.jpg  
Old 12-02-2013, 03:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lnc0321
I am not sure if I want to spend around 1k on a car to try a new class.
Another option is to pick up a used Inferno GT and see if you like racing the class. If you're a good driver you'll still be competitive and be able to beat your share of other cars; regardless of brand. In the end, they're all buggies and you still have to drive. A lot of the "fast" guys won't be able to finish 45 minute A-mains anyway; so just drive smart, have fun, catch a bump-up if you have to and you're in.

Good luck!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jneg
I would suggest that you go with the Cobra GT. Its a great car and it is faster out of the box than the rest of the cars in the class. Yes, you can convert the RC8E but you would need many parts for it to be competitive. I have done this and even for electric GT you need a few of these.

You need a 150cc tank, tank mounts (not factory ones since the tank has to be relocated a few mm from stock). You will need a 2 speed transmition, I have done this with a DM-1 transmision and a Thunder tiger 2 speed. The TT 2 speed is better since the center shaft is the correct size and no mods are needed to mount it. If you go with DM1 2 speed the center mounts need to be relocated. The 2 speed clutch bell can be either one. The shock towers can be replaced with the SC8 towers and body mounts so you can hold the body. For the front bumper you can go with DM1 or Kyosho but you will have to fabricate a little piece to be able to mounted. I would suggest that you change to the optional diff gears since the stock 4.3:1 ratio is going to be good for short tracks but for long tracks the optional 3.30:1 diff ratio is much better. A new center top plate will have to be built depending on the 2 speed you decide to use. So it is more complicated than just putting on a body and slick tires. Like I said it can be done and it will be competitive but it is going to be expensive and time consuming. Your best bet is to go the Serpent route.

"it is faster out of the box than the rest of the cars in the class"

SAY WHAT ?, lol ... come on, lets recommend on OUR experience (wich is subjective for each one of us) or even personal preferences but stating that ... and not as "market reality".

Ive been doing GT for the last 4 years, and without mentioning any brand, i can assure that your statement is VERY wrong.

cya !!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tabushi
"it is faster out of the box than the rest of the cars in the class"

SAY WHAT ?, lol ... come on, lets recommend on OUR experience (wich is subjective for each one of us) or even personal preferences but stating that ... and not as "market reality".

Ive been doing GT for the last 4 years, and without mentioning any brand, i can assure that your statement is VERY wrong.

cya !!
See my friend I am talking from my EXPERIENCE, for your information I have been racing GT as well for 4 years maybe a little more (who cares), and racing RC cars for more than 24 years (again who cares). I first started racing GT with an OFNA DM1 then bought a Kyosho GT2, then I converted a SC8 to GT, then I got the Serpent, I have tested the Team C and the Mugen conversion that a friend made. With all of those the lap times where almost identical regardless of chassis except for the Serpent that was more than 1 second faster than the rest of the chassis. I was using the same motor, same body and the same brand and shore tires. If you have other experiences share but don't tell me that I'm wrong just out of your enourmous wisdom. I tell it how I see it, I'm not sponsored by anyone and use what ever I like.

I'm not saying anything bad against any other chassis and IN MY OPINION THE SERPENT IS FASTER OUT OF THE BOX AND IS A MORE COMPLETE PACKAGE. This does not mean that it will make a bad driver better but it does help. Maybe spending more time with each chassis would get me better times but Im telling from out of the box and first time using the car after the usual initial set up for my driving style. No 2 persons drive the same so maybe another driver can have different results. However after looking at some of the other comments posted buying a used GT chassis in good condition will be better just to test the waters. But if he is like me I fell in love with the class as soon as I drove one for the first time.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Another option is to pick up a used Inferno GT and see if you like racing the class. If you're a good driver you'll still be competitive and be able to beat your share of other cars; regardless of brand. In the end, they're all buggies and you still have to drive. A lot of the "fast" guys won't be able to finish 45 minute A-mains anyway; so just drive smart, have fun, catch a bump-up if you have to and you're in.

Good luck!
I AGREE WITH JSPEED AS THIS IS THE CHEAPEST OPTION TO "TEST THE WATER"...YOU CAN GO ON EBAY AND PICK UP A GOOD USED INFERNO GT WITH DESCENT UPGRADES FOR ABOUT $300 RTR...DRIVE THE THING, IF YOU LIKE IT, YOU CAN FURTHER UPGRADE THAT SAME CAR INTO A VERY COMPETITIVE CAR ...!!
Old 12-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Ferrari body for 1/8th scale gt

Originally Posted by jrz93
Sweet! Are those available in the states?
Yes, they are available from www.deltaplastikusa.com or on ebay

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/130953502032?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 12-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Good luck!

Totally agree !
Old 12-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Good luck!
+1.....
Old 12-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello gyuz!
I have old Kyosho MP777 buggy.
Now i want to get it second life as GT 1/8.
Is it possible?
Am i right that if i use short buggy chassis all i need (my buggy already have e-conversion) is:
KYOIGW005 - Kyosho SP Front Shock Stay
KYOIGW006 - Kyosho SP Rear Shock Stay
KYOIG002 - Kyosho Bumper
KYOTRW105 - Kyosho Big Bore Shock Set *2
and 2 set of springs?
Old 12-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Good luck!
I also AGREE with you on this.

Our "SPEC" and "Junior" Classes are really getting interest here now. The weather hasn't allowed much racing. But looks very promising for this next season.

Truth be told as I have mentioned to others, I have really enjoyed running my (long) "Spec" car even against the (short) chassis pros. The car is 100% bone stock with the"SPEC" motor package $300 motor and one piece pipe.

Its really an awesome feeling to just race, a throw down and have fun car and not have to spend a ton of cash to race and maintain it.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by maeg
Hello gyuz!
I have old Kyosho MP777 buggy.
Now i want to get it second life as GT 1/8.
Is it possible?
Am i right that if i use short buggy chassis all i need (my buggy already have e-conversion) is:
KYOIGW005 - Kyosho SP Front Shock Stay
KYOIGW006 - Kyosho SP Rear Shock Stay
KYOIG002 - Kyosho Bumper
KYOTRW105 - Kyosho Big Bore Shock Set *2
and 2 set of springs?
If you are going to leave it electric, that is pretty much it except the parts to hold the bumper and the body post mounting set. You don't necessarily need the big bore shocks and you can just get two more front shocks to use on the rear (since on the GT kit, they use 4 front shocks). I converted a Kyosho Inferno VE to an onroad electric car for about $70. That same car won the electric GT class at this past May's Fireball Classic in Nebraska (the rest of the car was out of box stock, including the ESC/motor). For most onroad tracks sizes, you will probably use a 16T to 21T pinion. Just watch your ESC and motor temps and put fans on them if needed.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JLock
If you are going to leave it electric, that is pretty much it except the parts to hold the bumper and the body post mounting set. You don't necessarily need the big bore shocks and you can just get two more front shocks to use on the rear (since on the GT kit, they use 4 front shocks). I converted a Kyosho Inferno VE to an onroad electric car for about $70. That same car won the electric GT class at this past May's Fireball Classic in Nebraska (the rest of the car was out of box stock, including the ESC/motor). For most onroad tracks sizes, you will probably use a 16T to 21T pinion. Just watch your ESC and motor temps and put fans on them if needed.
Thank you very much!
I'll try to do it for next on road season
Old 12-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Guys, do you know if IGTHobbies.com have any discount coupon active ?

thanks,
Old 12-04-2013, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by maeg
Thank you very much!
I'll try to do it for next on road season
Glad I can help. Mika from Finland is where I got my information for the GT conversion from. He was one of the first to convert an Inferno VE from offroad to onroad and tested the pinion gear range to run based upon the track size. He is a good source of information as far as conversions and parts choices for Kyosho products.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Anyone from here willing to attend this event on GT Class ? ...

cya !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.