Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by DRRC
Now that was funny Mark...
I know but I dont like how the 1/7 runs, i used to have 2 of those tanks
Just wanted to be in Spec but looks like it will just be open for me

Thats is kind of the point, they are slower!! weight is not an issue as much now because the minimum weight is also heavier. As with all forms of racing light weight is not always the quickest car, on loose conditions a heavier car is actually better and on your home track traction is not all that high, last time i was there my car was 3750g! As Tony stated SPEC is SPEC there will be no "grey" area. Unfortunately those that are already in the GT8 class and want to run go to spec are part of the "eggs" that need to be broken to make and omelette! there is just no simple way to make that work. The class is built and designed around that newcomer that wants to start organized GT racing. you can pick up a used Kyosho IGT for under 200 and DM1's cheaper than that. The DM1 platform cans still do well Grenade and Shawn Bucklin have proven that. Will the TeamC/OFNA chassis perform better? probably so but in the end no matter what chassis you have it has to be driven by a human!! Most of the upper tier sponsored racers will not be running SPEC so that means the class will more or less a sportsman type class on a local club level. but on the national level you will obviously have better drivers in the class, thing is, how many of your local guys travel to national races? very few so try and look at the big picture and where you race at the majority of the time. Everett you drive well enough to make a DM1 look good, in your case you already have a LWB Dm1 so nothing really changes you will need to get an engine and tires regardless and even if you do have to convert its only 1 CVD and a chassis which are easy to find , just holla at GRenade!
Old 09-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jaratr
Derp! I thought that was just legalese at the bottom. Didn't see it the first pass.

As to the whole thread; I love the debate going on. May not agree with everyone but it shows passion! It's good to see passion and an obvious desire for such a class. Heck passion for the hobby alone. Guess I'm going to have to face it, need to race again.
haha me too .... been out of this so long I have to figure out how to keep my beard out of the way

Really looking foreword to some GT racing soon or next season.

BM
Old 09-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

For the record, the "8" in GT8 stands for 8th Scale. Not 1:7 scale like this spec class that's being discussed.

I only know one person that runs a 1:7 scale GT. All rest are 1:8 scale. What country is 1:7 scale popular, again?
Old 09-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (98%+)

Originally Posted by T-Hawk
Everything is a step in the right direction. But I really don't believe in the "History Lesson" of the new guys starting off with a outdated long chassis. Let them use something they can grow into. That was the only way I could get guys to try scale spec, they could start off with SS then move up to 17.5 using the SAME CHASSIS, just change out the motor, tires and body.
My sentiments exactly
What if I plan to race both classes? I cant do it now because I dont have a long chassis.
Just like electric you can run MOD, 13.5, 17.5 and the only difference is the motor and maybe handout tires.
Let me say the corollary that there are long chassis in open and they were doing well like the GT2 and long chassis Team C.
Just my opinion

I know Tony and Marcus has planned this for a long time and there are growing pains in the new series. I do support it and it will be better for our class. Good luck guys
Old 09-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by san.
For the record, the "8" in GT8 stands for 8th Scale. Not 1:7 scale like this spec class that's being discussed.

I only know one person that runs a 1:7 scale GT. All rest are 1:8 scale. What country is 1:7 scale popular, again?
LOL, I know but IGT7-8F OR IGT78F would of made an ugly logo and confuse and ruffled even more feathers.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Tech Champion

Everything is a step in the right direction. But I really don't believe in the "History Lesson" of the new guys starting off with a outdated long chassis. Let them use something they can grow into. That was the only way I could get guys to try scale spec, they could start off with SS then move up to 17.5 using the SAME CHASSIS, just change out the motor, tires and body.

The TeamC and OFNA chassis are not outdated ,its what i run right now( i assume you already knew that)! the Kyosho and DM1 are grandfathered for that reason, i agree that IMO they should just all be the TeamC/OFNA chassis but there are lots of guys still running the older chassis, eventually it will evolve into just the newer style and to convert the long to short requires only a 25.00 center cvd and a 125.00 short chassis, much cheaper than purchasing an entire new kit! My kid will be rocking an IGT spec car to begin with since i already have it and it is legal. And one of those things lurking around in the underground is another new MFG has a long chassis car coming that is going to also be really good and will fit right in!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

I'm hoping to run in either class with the same car ....
Luckily for me it will only involve the changing of three parts to satisfy the rules .... I think.

Body, Chassis and rear drive shaft. Obviously tires too ....

BM
Old 09-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (98%+)

very true marcus the DM1 is easy to convert to long chassis
that is no problem and with input from grenade and shawn I should be ok
I have tried the long chassis available and team C and Kyosho GT2 are very competative, dont know about the DM1 1/7 bec I did not have success in trying to set it up.
I was just thinking out loud, instead of just wanting new racers(which is always good), what about the other GT racers (like me) who wants to run spec to even out the field. Most of us dont have long chassis (except Jaime LOL)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Thats is kind of the point, they are slower!! weight is not an issue as much now because the minimum weight is also heavier. As with all forms of racing light weight is not always the quickest car, on loose conditions a heavier car is actually better and on your home track traction is not all that high, last time i was there my car was 3750g! As Tony stated SPEC is SPEC there will be no "grey" area. Unfortunately those that are already in the GT8 class and want to run go to spec are part of the "eggs" that need to be broken to make and omelette! there is just no simple way to make that work. The class is built and designed around that newcomer that wants to start organized GT racing. you can pick up a used Kyosho IGT for under 200 and DM1's cheaper than that. The DM1 platform cans still do well Grenade and Shawn Bucklin have proven that. Will the TeamC/OFNA chassis perform better? probably so but in the end no matter what chassis you have it has to be driven by a human!! Most of the upper tier sponsored racers will not be running SPEC so that means the class will more or less a sportsman type class on a local club level. but on the national level you will obviously have better drivers in the class, thing is, how many of your local guys travel to national races? very few so try and look at the big picture and where you race at the majority of the time. Everett you drive well enough to make a DM1 look good, in your case you already have a LWB Dm1 so nothing really changes you will need to get an engine and tires regardless and even if you do have to convert its only 1 CVD and a chassis which are easy to find , just holla at GRenade!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Tech Champion

My sentiments exactly
What if I plan to race both classes? I cant do it now because I dont have a long chassis.
Just like electric you can run MOD, 13.5, 17.5 and the only difference is the motor and maybe handout tires.
Let me say the corollary that there are long chassis in open and they were doing well like the GT2 and long chassis Team C.
Just my opinion

I know Tony and Marcus has planned this for a long time and there are growing pains in the new series. I do support it and it will be better for our class. Good luck guys
On a local club level the long chassis may do well but not on a national level, trust me I have tried harder than anyone to try and make it work, its just not faster! I understand what you are saying and it does make sense but this is not electric and the maintenence at a race with two GT cars sounds great but in reality it would drive you crazy trying to keep up with it all, can you imagine tearing down two complete cars saturday night before the mains on sunday?? I am sure there are a few guys out there that can pull it off but thats not the norm for sure especially not a newbie! Everything will work out fine Tony is open for suggestions and once the actual racing takes place we will have data to look at and simply make change but you have to start somewhere first! At any rate thank you for your support, Tony and i will be heading your way in a few weeks to help out with the new track
Old 09-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

My sentiments exactly
Just my opinion

Just to clarify at the Big IGT8F Events it's only one Entry per racer.
As for you wanting to run 2 classes, You can run Open and Sportsman(if you like their rules) I have enough trouble getting one car to drive, let alone 2. To each his own.

But you should big one of the biggest supporters, one of your club members is investing a ton of $$$ to build you a permanent On Road and Off track a few miles from your front door!! This future facility is a Major IGT8F supporter.

Btw there is no pain, as stated it's your own choice to run or not run. But I waited more then 2yrs for anyone to produce anything productive..... I JUST WANT TO RACE!!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Tech Champion

very true marcus the DM1 is easy to convert to long chassis
that is no problem and with input from grenade and shawn I should be ok
I have tried the long chassis available and team C and Kyosho GT2 are very competative, dont know about the DM1 1/7 bec I did not have success in trying to set it up.
I was just thinking out loud, instead of just wanting new racers(which is always good), what about the other GT racers (like me) who wants to run spec to even out the field. Most of us dont have long chassis (except Jaime LOL)
There is really no easy way around it, but the rules are already there. either convert whatever car you have or purchase a new one, there will be no short chassis cars in the SPEC class. What car are you running now anyway, Still the DM?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Scary Jerry is loving this, "I got 4 Kyosho's sitting in my garage! woot! woot!" Love ya man
Old 09-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tonylunatic
Also when I ask for support from tracks, shops, Race Directors manufacturers, etc. to be affiliated with IGT8F its simply to UNITE us all on the same common goal or interest. To support the racers and customers, that already support YOU. Weather you decide to be affiliated or not be affiliated or offer support or not. That is your choice, BUT I PERSONALLY WILL ALWAYS AND COUNTINUE TO SUPPORT ANYONE THAT SUPPORT, GT8 RACING..... and Yes even Jeff Vargas

repost from Tony, he is on the road right now and wants everyone to understand . I dont agree with the Vargas statement though
Old 09-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

Scary Jerry is loving this, "I got 4 Kyosho's sitting in my garage! woot! woot!" Love ya man
Oh YEA!!! thats the kind of guy the grandfather clause it made for ( and not cus he is old!!) he lives and dies for IGT and now that car can win a SPEC class event! Perfect example!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Remember, all of us in the racing community are promoters for racing, or the lack luster word "salesmen". Everyone knows how hard it is to get someone to come out to a track, especially ours. The next thing is "Cool I wanna race, how much does it costs?" This is where you lose 80% of the people. The last thing I wanna tell somebody is you "Start out here (Spec) then when you want to move up you have to shell out another $1000, cause see that long wheelbase car you bought for Spec isn't a competitive platform for Pro racing, and you'll probably want to upgrade your motor too" I has been brought to my attention, if you want to make it slow, throw a $2 plastic restrictor in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.