Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great project Jeff ... at least for "fun".

For me, sadly, when people start going to "outlaw" classes they look for more performance and a pocket without end ... and in the case of GT, i think COST is one of the pillars of the class.

At the end, was has been seen in other countries who where avid racers of GT CLASS, all people will end racing Euro Rally Game like classes, belt driven high cost cars and big pocket engines ...so sad

just my $ .000000001

cya !
Old 12-21-2011, 06:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Tabushi

For me, sadly, when people start going to "outlaw" classes they look for more performance and a pocket without end ... and in the case of GT, i think COST is one of the pillars of the class.

At the end, was has been seen in other countries who where avid racers of GT CLASS, all people will end racing Euro Rally Game like classes, belt driven high cost cars and big pocket engines ...so sad

just my $ .000000001

cya !
Well said Pato, someone needs to come with a coherent set of rules, otherwise it will be imposible to unify the class. Thats what makes sedan and 1/8 onroad so popular and I believe GT has a big chance too.

Pato hope to see you in Peru next year, I am planing on taking the new Serpent GT.

Happy Holidays!!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Tabushi

just my $ .000000001

cya !
That is one sweet ride for sure! Modified classes are just a natural part of racing, spec or controlled classes are just the begining for all forms of rc racing. And eventually people will want to go faster.

I absolutely agree that a clear set of rules are needed for our class. I'm looking forward to the day when ROAR comes out of coma...lol! Personally I welcome the outlaw class and pushing the envelope.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Here's my scary new toy. Its the "Mika Edition" re-designed 2-speed Evolva transmission equipped version of the BMT Rally Game Beast!

The best of Rally Game and the best of GT, together in the insane fast & very radical 2012 Ipanema "GT Outlaw" racer class...... It was only just a matter of time fellas!
Like I said in my last post, that's one sweet ride! But I have a couple questions.
First what's the total running weight (battery/electronics installed), less fuel?
Second what's the size of the fuel tank?
Old 12-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rinolino
Well said Pato, someone needs to come with a coherent set of rules, otherwise it will be imposible to unify the class. Thats what makes sedan and 1/8 onroad so popular and I believe GT has a big chance too.

Pato hope to see you in Peru next year, I am planing on taking the new Serpent GT.

Happy Holidays!!
There are coherent rules already in place for much of GT racing. Their base was the rules that were established by Bernie & company from the Midwest Series way back in 2007. The RC Pro Series expanded on them a bit and then Ipanema expanded on them further. I read all those rules and based much of the rules for GT racing in Texas back in 2009 off those very same rules, tweeking them here and there as needed. However, the contingency that doesn't like those rules because of personal anemosity towards "certain" individuals is why there is always conflict in the class. I have put it to anyone to read the rules from the Midwest series and Ipanema and tell me what is not fair about those rules; no one has said much of anything other than ROAR needs to come out with rules for the class. So, it is not that the rules out there aren't fair, it is just because of those who had established said rules aren't like by those that argue against them. I have raced many races under the Midwest/Ipanema guidelines and have never heard anyone at those races complain about the rules. They are open to all car brands, tire brands, body brands, etc, with the only restrictions being established for Spec-class racing as to distinguish it from Open-class racing.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Got to say I really love it when people start preaching to me about the benefits of cost control and GT racing rules.

I really love it, lol It’s really funny since I don’t think anyone one earth had put up with more crap, from more people since page one of this GT thread because of my strong defense for the GT Spec class concept. Want to relive it all again? Start reading from PAGE ONE, lol!

I’m often amazed and amused when people who just enter into the GT racing arena, seem to want to convince themselves and others that no rules exist for our class.

For those that that know the history of our GT class, we all know that the birth of GT started with The Spec class. Many hard and often bloody battles were fought to build rules based on cost control, accessibility and a level playing field.

GT racing groups like our brothers from Chicago, Utah, Florida, Finland and Mexico City all understood & embraced the Spec class concept. The people that have organized the Byron’s, Mid-West Series, Great Lakes Challenge and Ipanema Sports events have rules that basically mirror each other for several years in the GT Spec class with very slight differences; based on engine limits.

Since the GT Spec class is secure in most regions, it was time for us GT racers to also embrace those of us in the hobby who preferred more freedom to experiment, so many of our racing brothers have included a GT Open class option and many love it. It’s a very fun class and it has a very strong following.

Next many of us understood the needs of Electric GT racers wanting to have fun too. Most of us “GT old timers” decided to offer our electric brothers the ability to race with us in their own separate class too. Although, they have yet to show up at any of the major GT events, the door is open to them should they wish to participate.

So, let’s recap ….. We’ve had rules for GT Spec since the dawn of the class. Then we began rules for the GT Open class and then we welcomed the Electric GT class. What about the European Exotica Rally Game Belt Drive cars?

The Rally Game racers in Europe and South America have been around for a while. Their much more advanced chassis designs have never quite fit into any of our GT racing classes over the years and yet they are basically part of the international GT racing community. Why should our events continue to exclude them from participation in our events anymore?

I mean, if they have their own class, what’s so wrong with saying?…… Hey, Rally Game guys of the world, come on down and race with us too!

So please…….. Please, in the spirit of Christmas if for nothing else, quit promoting the tired old lie that no rules for GT exist.

Please lets all try to quit “hating” on the GT classes that you might not want to race in, for whatever reason you have, be it philosophical or financial……

All of us GT/Rally Game racers should all appreciate each other’s choice of class to race in.

Sorry for the "mega-long" post, but this needed to be said again!

For more Ipanema Sports GT Only event info & class rules, feel free to visit www.gtworldchampionships.com

Last edited by Jspeed; 12-21-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Regular

Great pick-up J, im also looking into a euro-GT to import into the US. I was leaning towards the bmt pro since it was the cheapest of the bunch, but i figured during my research, if im gonna import a euro car, mine as well go all out and get the top end of the class. So at this point im waiting for the mz3 to come out or at the very least pick up either a blade rx1 evo w/ 2 speed or fast race gt r10 with a serpent 2speed.

enjoy the ride, cant wait to get mine!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Tech Adept

Here's a pic of my outlaw project, DM1 Pro Carbon..lol
Attached Thumbnails GT class--buggy-based on road!-dsc03449.jpg  
Old 12-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (98%+)

Just wanted to know what is the difference between the GT and the rally game rules?
The rally game cars are the 1/8 scale that uses foams but using rubber would limit the drift hence making them roll just like the GTs.
So IMHO rally game cars you are making a very efficient car run differently and with a GT you are maximizing what the car has
In the end the rally game cars will have the advantage but the GTs will be running to the cars' potential

Will having more classes help the GT? maybe
spec GT, Mod GT and outlaw GT would be ok for a GT specific race but what if it were an onroad nitro race, dont know if they can squeeze all of the classes in.
what am I rambling about.... I think spec GT will be the way to go.. the cars are fast enough with a .28 that costs less than $200, the 4 shoe clutch works well no need for centax and the tires are all rubber
this will be the entry class for more people to try
I have been bit by the GT bug and it is a fun class
Just my 2 cents
Attached Thumbnails GT class--buggy-based on road!-dm1.jpg  
Old 12-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Livewire121
How is the Carbon chassis holding up in nitro? I always thought that carbon chassis in nitro will over heat the engine because it does not dissipate heat like aluminum.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SNR Graphite
How is the Carbon chassis holding up in nitro? I always thought that carbon chassis in nitro will over heat the engine because it does not dissipate heat like aluminum.
Paul Roberts from Max Velocity Racing addressed that issue a few years ago with his own design “heat sinc” engine mounts.

Several hard-core guys I know have been using his carbon fiber chassis with nitro engines with great results in our 45 minute long Ipanema GT Open class mains with no problems I've ever heard of.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by VexVegaz
Great pick-up J, im also looking into a euro-GT to import into the US. I was leaning towards the bmt pro since it was the cheapest of the bunch, but i figured during my research, if im gonna import a euro car, mine as well go all out and get the top end of the class. So at this point im waiting for the mz3 to come out or at the very least pick up either a blade rx1 evo w/ 2 speed or fast race gt r10 with a serpent 2speed.

enjoy the ride, cant wait to get mine!
Well....... right now in North America you’ll be hard pressed to find a race that will permit the use of the hi-end Rally Game chassis, simply because they’re so advanced it wouldn’t be fair for them to compete with conventional shaft driven GT cars; especially when they’re equipped with 2-speeds.

So before you or anyone in North America invests in one of these wild “RG” belt-drive chassis, you have to accept that your opportunities to race such a beast at the present time might only be at an Ipanema GT Only event that is now supporting the GT Outlaw class concept.

If you pick one up, come to Puerto Rico for our Worlds in March and let’s go for it!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DRRC
Just wanted to know what is the difference between the GT and the rally game rules?

The rally game cars are the 1/8 scale that uses foams but using rubber would limit the drift hence making them roll just like the GTs.
So IMHO rally game cars you are making a very efficient car run differently and with a GT you are maximizing what the car has
In the end the rally game cars will have the advantage but the GTs will be running to the cars' potential

Will having more classes help the GT? maybe
spec GT, Mod GT and outlaw GT would be ok for a GT specific race but what if it were an onroad nitro race, dont know if they can squeeze all of the classes in.
what am I rambling about.... I think spec GT will be the way to go.. the cars are fast enough with a .28 that costs less than $200, the 4 shoe clutch works well no need for centax and the tires are all rubber
this will be the entry class for more people to try
I have been bit by the GT bug and it is a fun class
Just my 2 cents
The European Rally Game rules are extensive and very good. However, they basically have major restrictions regarding the use of 2-speed transmissions and max rear tire widths.

Our GT Only events are typically run on the largest tracks we can find, so the use of 2-speeds is pretty much needed.

We also offer the widest rear GT slick available to the market and fully understand the benefits for GT racers wishing to push their vehicles to the limits of all out racing competition; therefore our Ipanema and many other GT racing events around the world permit their use too.

European style Rally Game also runs buggy based chassis & belt-drive cars together in the same class. I’ve spoken several RG racers from Europe and the common consensus is that it isn’t working very well due to the unfair advantages some of the exotics offer some.

Our GT Only events recognize the need for separation of the different chassis designs and address this issue with separate classes for each.

We too love GT Spec class racing and dare anyone to say otherwise. We're just looking at the big international picture we're heavily involved in every day.

Last edited by Jspeed; 12-21-2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: oooopps! lol
Old 12-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Well....... right now in North America you’ll be hard pressed to find a race that will permit the use of the hi-end Rally Game chassis, simply because they’re so advanced it wouldn’t be fair for them to compete with conventional shaft driven GT cars; especially when they’re equipped with 2-speeds.

So before you or anyone in North America invests in one of these wild “RG” belt-drive chassis, you have to accept that your opportunities to race such a beast at the present time might only be at an Ipanema GT Only event that is now supporting the GT Outlaw class concept.

If you pick one up, come to Puerto Rico for our Worlds in March and let’s go for it!
considering it will cost me a little over $1000 for the kit alone, i have no plans on racing it at all and will stick to my gt2 if i want to race. a luxury belt driven gt car is something ive been wanting for a very long time.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Livewire121
Looking at your nice chassis picture, I would say your car might favor better in the GT Open class, but you’re more than welcome to try your hand in the GT Outlaw class, since our Ipanema GT Only event rules do permit it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.