R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #1306
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
Alex,

That 3 shoe clutch looks good if you have a 3 pin flywheel.

I'd suggest trying the Kyosho KC45 2 shoe set-up first to see if it works as good for you on the track too.

The IGT2 RTR engine runs very well on 16 & 20% fuels with lower temps and faster top end than 30% fuels. The higher percentage fuels do give more bottom end grunt, but seem to make top end temps suffer too much for the added abuse than they're worth.

Miami,

Have you been running at Homestead's track?
Weight + horsepower + aerodynamics = speed
No i havent gone, ive talked to maxy and a few others and there is still no IGT cars out there so id litterally be the only one from what ive bein tolled, there is a serouse talk about another onroad track opening up and with that im sure the IGT class can grow because there is simply so many people with the inferno gt localy, only thing keeping the class from growning here in miami is the fact the homestead speedway is SO far away

Jspeed you got any idea about my questions towared the ROAR rules?
Old 10-19-2008, 02:45 PM   #1307
wwoodruff

Default How about this? RANTS and RAVES

Off road 1/8 scale buggy is the hottest class going right now. Do you wonder why? The Pro Series events have done what Roar could never or would never do. Local races and tracks don't follow roar rules and neither do the Pro Series guys. Local tracks usually force people to join for insurance purposes, not sure this is needed anymore (I am going to check this out further). Roar should be an Insurance company for RC racers and leave the rest alone. Roar was formed when races were put on by Local RC Clubs and tracks. Not Money making businesses and manufacturers. Roar offers no real value to racers anymore.

Pro Series races for 1/8 scale buggies have a intermediate, expert and pro class. Hobby shops with tracks love RC Pro races. Everyone is happy and the shop makes a few bucks from selling parts, fuel, etc.
There are no rules for what car you must run, other than obvious dimensional stuff. No engine rule, run what you want but realize there is a limited amount of tire available for all that horsepower hotshot,except for size, .21. The big difference is the driver classes! The pro class makes it even for the un-sponsored racer. If he is long on talent but short on budget he can race with the experts. Intermediate is for beginners(no one wants to be called a beginner). Once you win the Intermediate series, you will be moved into the expert class, no sandbagging allowed unless you get off on that sort of thing. If you win the Expert series you will probably end up sponsored, if you are not an arrogant jerk, the following year.

I got news for you, all those guys getting 1/2 off deals are not helping anyone but manufacturers. If you are not buying parts from the local hobby shop, he will be out of business soon because you did not buy the car there either.
No one races at the shops anymore, the owner can't afford to keep the track open because the shop does not sell enough of anything(why do you think he is in such a foul mood all the time). Manufacturers do not care about selling at 1/2 off, they are just eliminating the middle man in the distribution chain. But they still want shops to stock parts and buy minimums?
Like everything else these days, rc racers have developed a warped sense of fun. RC racing used to be a hobby. When did we get lost, what happened?

RockCrawling is THE other biggie, it's as close to what rc racing used to be like. No Roar (I think), no permanent track unless you want to build one in your back yard. Guys just having fun! When was the last time you scratch built a competition crawler.

Yeah I am older than most on this forum, and I have worked for the greediest (or smartest) I guess it depends on who you ask, RC manufacturer of all. We won't mention names, those who know me, know. But I just wanted to hurl before I grow up, stop reading all these useless, waste of time forums and get back to school work and start having fun with my collection of shelf queens. They are just toys after all, aren't they? Maybe golf with the father in law is not such a bad idea after all....
Old 10-19-2008, 02:57 PM   #1308
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Best post I have read in a long time.
Eperform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #1309
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwoodruff View Post
Off road 1/8 scale buggy is the hottest class going right now. Do you wonder why? The Pro Series events have done what Roar could never or would never do. Local races and tracks don't follow roar rules and neither do the Pro Series guys. Local tracks usually force people to join for insurance purposes, not sure this is needed anymore (I am going to check this out further). Roar should be an Insurance company for RC racers and leave the rest alone. Roar was formed when races were put on by Local RC Clubs and tracks. Not Money making businesses and manufacturers. Roar offers no real value to racers anymore.

Pro Series races for 1/8 scale buggies have a intermediate, expert and pro class. Hobby shops with tracks love RC Pro races. Everyone is happy and the shop makes a few bucks from selling parts, fuel, etc.
There are no rules for what car you must run, other than obvious dimensional stuff. No engine rule, run what you want but realize there is a limited amount of tire available for all that horsepower hotshot,except for size, .21. The big difference is the driver classes! The pro class makes it even for the un-sponsored racer. If he is long on talent but short on budget he can race with the experts. Intermediate is for beginners(no one wants to be called a beginner). Once you win the Intermediate series, you will be moved into the expert class, no sandbagging allowed unless you get off on that sort of thing. If you win the Expert series you will probably end up sponsored, if you are not an arrogant jerk, the following year.

I got news for you, all those guys getting 1/2 off deals are not helping anyone but manufacturers. If you are not buying parts from the local hobby shop, he will be out of business soon because you did not buy the car there either.
No one races at the shops anymore, the owner can't afford to keep the track open because the shop does not sell enough of anything(why do you think he is in such a foul mood all the time). Manufacturers do not care about selling at 1/2 off, they are just eliminating the middle man in the distribution chain. But they still want shops to stock parts and buy minimums?
Like everything else these days, rc racers have developed a warped sense of fun. RC racing used to be a hobby. When did we get lost, what happened?

RockCrawling is THE other biggie, it's as close to what rc racing used to be like. No Roar (I think), no permanent track unless you want to build one in your back yard. Guys just having fun! When was the last time you scratch built a competition crawler.

Yeah I am older than most on this forum, and I have worked for the greediest (or smartest) I guess it depends on who you ask, RC manufacturer of all. We won't mention names, those who know me, know. But I just wanted to hurl before I grow up, stop reading all these useless, waste of time forums and get back to school work and start having fun with my collection of shelf queens. They are just toys after all, aren't they? Maybe golf with the father in law is not such a bad idea after all....
I really dont under stand what all of this has to do with anything bein posted on this thread, yes youve made many valid points that i too agree with but what does it have to do with anything on this thread?? what made you wanna rant??
Old 10-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #1310
Tech Elite

I think “wwodruff” was expressing his concerns with how Roar is going about making rules for the GT class.

As more than just a racer in the American “GT Spec Class” arena, I’m also interested in learning who all is involved in “the careful development” of the rules that Roar is so working diligently on.

Time will tell what Roar decides to do with it’s rules governing their “GT Spec Class”. I do think it shouldn’t be “brand specific”, as it was from the start with “IGT” being the only game in town. I do however believe it should be stipulated that the chassis be truly “Buggy Based” as this thread we’re reading implies by it’s “title”.

At the risk of getting into another “politically charged” argument on this thread, I’d like to ask, are all the “GT” chassis really “buggy based” designs?

Are all of these "new" cars really “buggy based” chassis being raced on Off-Road tracks?

Something to think about.....
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:15 PM   #1311
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

So for short, what you are trying to say is that the OFNA DM-1/DM-1 SPEC can not be included in this GT class correct?
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #1312
Tech Elite

Not at all.

If a "GT" chassis is "buggy based" it should have an off-road version with the same chassis correct?
Old 10-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #1313
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Time will tell what Roar decides to do with it’s rules governing their “GT Spec Class”. I do think it shouldn’t be “brand specific”, as it was from the start with “IGT” being the only game in town. I do however believe it should be stipulated that the chassis be truly “Buggy Based” as this thread we’re reading implies by it’s “title”.
It seems to me that the simple solution is to have a wheelbase RANGE (short = original IGT/GTP and long = DM-1 or hyper 1/7) and stipulate shaft drive, 1 or 2 spd trans. Sedan body req'd. That pretty much makes things "even" and rules out the high end belt drive stuff.

Let the track sort out what works better, but open it up for as many as possible to grow the 1/8 GT class. If the rules are too tight it will just turn away people. Like wwoodruff mentioned, it's supposed to be fun. If you want a career go race 1/8 on-road.

It seems like a bigger question might be qualifying engine choices, but I've commented on that before (prefer a $$$ limit).
TA03R Cirtix 17.5 club spec
F109 Tekin 21.5
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:44 PM   #1314
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
It seems to me that the simple solution is to have a wheelbase RANGE (short = original IGT/GTP and long = DM-1 or hyper 1/7) and stipulate shaft drive, 1 or 2 spd trans. Sedan body req'd. That pretty much makes things "even" and rules out the high end belt drive stuff.

Let the track sort out what works better, but open it up for as many as possible to grow the 1/8 GT class. If the rules are too tight it will just turn away people. Like wwoodruff mentioned, it's supposed to be fun. If you want a career go race 1/8 on-road.

It seems like a bigger question might be qualifying engine choices, but I've commented on that before (prefer a $$$ limit).
A “Wheelbase length only requirement rule” does leave the door open for someone to produce a “GT” car that has close to the same weight an 1/8 scale with shaft drive, in kit form, for what ever price the market would yield. This could send everyone to one “brand” in order to have a shot at winning a race.

Gone would be the days where a racer could just walk into a store, buy an RTR “buggy based GT” car and be competitive in the “Spec” class from the get go.

It’s looking to me like we may wind up with another high priced on-road class if specific chassis details are not addressed, not exactly what the original architects of the “GT Spec” class intended, is it?
Old 10-19-2008, 10:24 PM   #1315
Tech Fanatic

Default PMT Tyres

Any one know were I can get PMT tyres for my GT with spoke rims not the dish rims?
Robert R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:27 PM   #1316
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert R View Post
Any one know were I can get PMT tyres for my GT with spoke rims not the dish rims?

You might be looking for this....

http://www.fgsupply.com/Manufacturer_s-PMT_Tires-1.html
vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:50 AM   #1317
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Not at all.

If a "GT" chassis is "buggy based" it should have an off-road version with the same chassis correct?
The only chassis you can be talking about is the DM-1. If you ran a DM-1 would you have brought up this point? Any way, the inference is that the car be buggy based not the chassis. The Jammin CR buggy is the basis for the DM-1. The diffs, diff housings, chassis braces, drive shafts and the optional pillow ball front suspension are derived from the Jammin buggy. I run my jammin buggy with the same suspension that is on the DM-1. So what if the chassis plate is different, the IGT 2 would have to be excluded with this idea since it is more based on the truggy, not the buggy.
crazysavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:20 AM   #1318
Tech Apprentice

so dm-1 better
E.Rocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:57 AM   #1319
Tech Master

So im guessing my question about ROAR wheel bases isnt gonig to get answered??? or no one has any idea??? LOL

either way as far as im conserned i only think the GT class should be regulated by the body,wheels,wheel base,must be shaft drive and engine under "X" price i was only asking becuase i feel the diffrence in chassis lengths between the GT1 and GT2 is to much for them to be in the same AMAIN at the same time you get me??? im just wondering how the rules will follow

yes not everytrack is governed by ROAR and not every track really cares about what ROAR SAYS but still to some point it does offer some kind of guidlines to make thing STANDARD which is a good thing

i got another GT2 question hopefully someone can help out on this one, i know the Gt2 shocks are REVISED but exactly what was changed internally?? any of you guys got picks of the GT2 shocks dissasambled???
also kidna find the GT2 manual online, can somone provided the part number for the GT2 chassis, i wanna compare it to the part number of the INFERNO US SPORTS truggy chassis
Old 10-20-2008, 09:31 AM   #1320
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Out of curiosity, How many of the cars, that are on the Amain 1,2,3 podium of the "Spec" class, are using the stock RTR radio and servos? I'm guessing these drivers have $200-300 invested on top of their initial IGT RTR purchase. We have no GT classes running in my neck of the woods, so I have to ask.
DogboneS is offline   Reply With Quote