R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #1126
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

anyone running the ofna foams? i know wear would be an issue, i just never see anyone running them only rubber tires.
Serpent s120 LTR Hitec/??/??/??/??
GRP/Dynamite/Grafil/Punched RC/RC monster/AKA/DE racing/LFR
strodedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #1127
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

We use foam when we go to Crystal park, the trak is preped with VHT and rubber just doesn't get in to track for the grip, but when we go to Greater LA races we use rubber.
-R2- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #1128
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by -R2- View Post
We use foam when we go to Crystal park, the trak is preped with VHT and rubber just doesn't get in to track for the grip, but when we go to Greater LA races we use rubber.

I would like someone to clarify this whole rubber tires don’t work well with VHT deal.

Many years ago, in a previous life I drag raced real cars on tracks sprayed with VHT. I ran “M&H Race Master” Slicks screwed to the bead with inner-tubes. Traction was hardly ever a problem cause the front wheels of my Big Block “Box Nova” pulled clear off the ground.

How is it at all possible that a quality natural rubber R/C tire not work with a chemical track additive that is designed to work with rubber tires?

What kind of tire & shore have you used?

I’m asking because it makes no sense that VHT works with rubber tires in “the real world” but doesn’t work in our “little car world”.

Not “bashing”, just trying to understand the logic behind this theory, OK.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #1129
Tech Elite

well, we have tried several rubber compound tires because we want a rubber tire to race with but the track gets the tires overheated and slimy so the cars doesn't corner well, even at Svm track we had the same prob. when they laid down the VHT but I think because they cut the VHT, I would rather run rubber since you get lots of runs on rubber.
-R2- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #1130
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -R2- View Post
well, we have tried several rubber compound tires because we want a rubber tire to race with but the track gets the tires overheated and slimy so the cars doesn't corner well, even at Svm track we had the same prob. when they laid down the VHT but I think because they cut the VHT, I would rather run rubber since you get lots of runs on rubber.
I have run on VHT, sugar water and a natural clean asphalt surface and I like the natural surface the best. I like VHT the least because in the heat of the day the car would suddenly get loose in the middle of the turn when off-throttle. In order to make the car handle better on hot days on VHT, I changed diff fluids from 100,000 in front to 10,000 and from 30,000 in the rear to 7,000. The place that these changes are most noticeable is in the middle of the turn where the car used to be loose. The only down side to light diff fluids is that you can unload a wheel during hard braking and loose some brakes. This braking situation has been a minor issue and overall I am much happier with the car with light diff fluids.

Lee
Winner's Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #1131
Tech Elite

Lee,
I agree with the thinner diff oils. I’ve been running 50K front & 10K rear, while most of the other racers have run 100k & 30K set-up. The thicker oils seem to keep the GT cars from turning around the corners as well.

You may be onto something that could help us all.

DJ,

The way I understand it, not all rubber tires use natural rubber, but a plastic/rubber blend. I think those blends, mixed with different shore ratings, slicks vs. treaded, radial vs. non-radial designs and foam insert density values all add up to any given tire’s ability to perform.

Things like the heat of the day, track surface temperature, asphalt condition, race length and the actual track layout determine the perfect tire selection for each race.

If you have multiple shore tires to choose from that feature the same type of natural rubber & design, it’s a lot easier to find the best possible tire for a location. I’m very fortunate to have access to the same slick tires in 35, 40, 45, 50, 55 & 60 shore ratings at my disposal.

If I can’t get traction with an arsenal of tires like that, it’s not the tires, but a chassis set-up problem that’s making the car loose on the track. Which goes full circle to what Lee had discovered with the diff oils
Old 09-25-2008, 05:30 PM   #1132
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

DJ,
Have you or the other Ofna guys had the chance to run the Ipanema tires? I have had good results with Ipanema rubbers when compared to any other foam or rubber tire currently on the market. In the Forgass Series at Homestead, I was able to run two of the three qualifiers with the Ipanema 45 shore rubbers, both times that I used the rubber tires I had better qualifying results. The one race in which I used the 45 shore foams my qualifying results were slower by one lap.
vadn1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:24 PM   #1133
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadn1 View Post
DJ,
Have you or the other Ofna guys had the chance to run the Ipanema tires? I have had good results with Ipanema rubbers when compared to any other foam or rubber tire currently on the market. In the Forgass Series at Homestead, I was able to run two of the three qualifiers with the Ipanema 45 shore rubbers, both times that I used the rubber tires I had better qualifying results. The one race in which I used the 45 shore foams my qualifying results were slower by one lap.
Vad,

Racing R/C cars on rubber tires is a lot like real cars, air pressure & heat from friction play a huge factor in traction. That’s why you always see problems at the start of the green flag in NASCAR racing; tires need to “come in” for maximum grip before you can “lay it down”.

At Homestead that weekend the 50 shore were hooking up even better than the 45’s.

My guess is that the 55 shore tires would have been even faster from the 15 minute mark to the end of the 30 minute main with the heat being generated from the duration of the race.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:45 PM   #1134
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
Vad,

Racing R/C cars on rubber tires is a lot like real cars, air pressure & heat from friction play a huge factor in traction. That’s why you always see problems at the start of the green flag in NASCAR racing; tires need to “come in” for maximum grip before you can “lay it down”.

At Homestead that weekend the 50 shore were hooking up even better than the 45’s.

My guess is that the 55 shore tires would have been even faster from the 15 minute mark to the end of the 30 minute main with the heat being generated from the duration of the race.

Jeff,
I couldn't agree with you more. Have to warm up the tires. For the shorter qualifers I feel the 40s or the 45s would be great, but as you say the longer mains the 50s would be best.
vadn1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:16 PM   #1135
Tech Elite

Yea, its still too hot for the 40s, maybe when temps drop to the low 70's for a half hour main.

Miami, baby's got back, lol
Old 09-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #1136
Tech Apprentice

is anyone out there looking for a DM-1 Spec kit - Brand new, only opened to take a closer look.

shoot me a pm if interested.
louchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:05 AM   #1137
Tech Master

Gonna try this one, too, maybe ...

Last edited by MikaR; 09-27-2008 at 06:32 AM.
MikaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:53 PM   #1138
Tech Adept

The hobby shop by my house has 2 inferno gt 2 in stock the audi body
infernoman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:12 AM   #1139
Tech Elite

Mika,

Looking good!

Old 09-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #1140
Tech Master

Thanks Jeff! Painted it with 4 cans of Pactra spray colors..

Tried it on the track today (thank god of the warm fall after lousy wet summer) - worked very well, good aerodynamics must say, the reinforced front is also a big plus. I did one huge air when hitting a hose filled with sand (it divides the lanes) but I don't see any visible damage; luckily it landed on it's tires.. Great body.
MikaR is offline   Reply With Quote