R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #931
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneland View Post
Yes. If I am not mistaken, the GT2 will replace the current GT. The price may go up some, but should still be in line with the others mentioned. Unless it is priced well above current cars, it will be allowed in the MWS. OFNA GTP is now a GTP2. It is still in the same price range.
My main concern is keeping prices under control. At the GLC, one of the cars was a DM1 with a Ninja engine installed (don't know if it was buggy or on-road version, but either way it's pricey). His rig cost at least twice that of the other cars! Suppose he were dominating the race? An onlooker inquires as to cost of a car to compete in this class... Well, the winner has about a grand wrapped up in his.. and the prospective racer turns and walks away.
Another racer had an Italian on-road mill in his GTP. He blew by me on the straight like I was standing still. I drove by the carnage in the sweeper, but you get the idea. It didn't help him, but, if he were to win... same story as the other guy.
So, yes the GT2 will be run with the rest, UNLESS the price is elevated too much.
We are trying to get GT class racing started in SoCal at the Sun Valley track and it seems like the class needs to be somewhat open because many of the potential racers have modded their cars already. Maybe there needs to be a stock and modified class with some limits, such as no belt drive, no .21 on-road motors (but allow .28 off-road motors) or ??? to keep it reasonable.

I can see the purpose in trying to keep the cost down, but I for one, would not want to put my IGT back to stock just to compete. My current mods only consist of replacing the tranny with the Ofna 2spd, a Fioroni chassis (bent the original), brakes, a 150cc tank, and eventually a different motor. I could see keeping the stock motor as it's easy to drop back in, but I wouldn't want to go back to the stock tranny, period. I'd rather go single speed. I don't see most of my current mods affecting the overall speed potential very much. I think gearing should be open.

Just my thoughts as somebody who's in the position to start competing in a local GT class.
TA03R Cirtix 17.5 club spec
F109 Tekin 21.5
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:56 AM   #932
Tech Fanatic

Default 2 INFERNO GT'S

FYI There are 2 INFERNO GT'S FOR SALE on the For sale Forums!

later
Jeff Epperson
Blowin Smoke BBQ
Kevin Hutchinson
Big Jeff BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #933
Tech Elite

dankatchpel,

Your mods would not eliminate your car in my rules (MWS). As I have stated, my concern is cost. If you lunch your tranny and replace it with one that is more durable, you have not given yourself a 'track' advantage. You are probably saving money in the long run. A bent chassis needs to be replaced. If you put an aftermarket chassis under it, you have pretty much done the same as with your tranny swap. The guy next to you on the driver stand, should not feel he has to spend money to keep up with you. He would probably be happy to know of a chassis upgrade, if his were to get bent. Your chassis and tranny upgrade, will not allow you to blow by him on the straight! In my view, there is no reason to disallow such parts. If you were to stick a $600 engine in there, then I have a problem with that.
In promoting the class in your area, I would recomend a direct approach at rules making. If keeping the price of racing down is the goal, eliminate the cars that have selling prices above $500 RTR, and make an engine list that includes the RTR truggy engines; Axial .28, Force .28, Kyosho .28, Duratrax .27 etc. Most of these are available for around $135, perhaps a little more or less. Rubber tires, TC or sports car bodies. That's about it.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #934
Tech Regular

I think we're on the same page.

I did find this set of rules and it seems to make sense to me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Racing class rules by RC Pro.pdf (73.6 KB, 143 views)
TA03R Cirtix 17.5 club spec
F109 Tekin 21.5
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #935
Tech Adept

Default just race

why is there a problem with dm-1 and igt or gtp racing there is a new dm1s out it is the same wheel base as the igt etc. so will that be a problem as well i say that because when a new comer ask the price most likely he or she won't understand why the price is so much any way and if a new comer buy the fastest motor or the so called best car they need to know that it's more driving than anything
tbo713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #936
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbo713 View Post
why is there a problem with dm-1 and igt or gtp racing there is a new dm1s out it is the same wheel base as the igt etc. so will that be a problem as well i say that because when a new comer ask the price most likely he or she won't understand why the price is so much any way and if a new comer buy the fastest motor or the so called best car they need to know that it's more driving than anything
I agree, but you can't even tell seasoned veterans that they should aquire more skill before horse-power. Hence the new guy would definately not take that into consideration.

My 2 cents.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #937
Tech Elite

I've been a long time supporter of the IGT Spec class program, even helped write them rules too, but at this time, even I don't see any reason why all the GT RTR cars can't race together if their street prices and drive trains are configured clost to eachother.

I just waiting for someone to introduce the 1st $1,500 dollar RTR GT and expect it to pass as a Spec car.[/
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #938
Tech Adept

Default can i race

so will the new dm-1s be able to run in this class or what
tbo713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:31 AM   #939
Tech Elite

Not in the MWS. It is FAR too expensive. It is not a matter of wether it is unfair performance comparison, it's just a price thing. If it were to win, it would be very bad for the growth of the class. The whole reason for the popularity of the class, is it's low price tag.
The DM1s pro kit, will sell for around $500. By the time you get and engine, radio etc. You will have about twice as much invested, compaired to the others.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #940
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneland View Post
Not in the MWS. It is FAR too expensive. It is not a matter of wether it is unfair performance comparison, it's just a price thing. If it were to win, it would be very bad for the growth of the class. The whole reason for the popularity of the class, is it's low price tag.
The DM1s pro kit, will sell for around $500. By the time you get and engine, radio etc. You will have about twice as much invested, compaired to the others.
Dune, the ofna DM-1 RTR is now $470 at tower and falls into the price point for the IGT class. The chassis is 130mm longer than the IGT and 95mm longer than the IGT-2. The ofna GTP-2 is below the IGT at $389 and the same scale. I agree that the new ofna DM-1S kit will put you outside the price point but ofna will release a RTR version I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
I've been a long time supporter of the IGT Spec class program, even helped write them rules too, but at this time, even I don't see any reason why all the GT RTR cars can't race together if their street prices and drive trains are configured clost to eachother.

I just waiting for someone to introduce the 1st $1,500 dollar RTR GT and expect it to pass as a Spec car.[/
Jspeed, love all that you have done for the class keep up the good work!

I have both cars and I enjoy running / racing them and I want to see this class grow due to the easy of operation, maintenance and FUN!!!

My 2 cents
Old 08-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #941
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The one that I have noticed is that the ones that protest the loudest (or longest) are the ones that have some sort of competitive advantage and wants to keep it that way (found some secret that they don't want others to know). It is this type of attitude that has wrecked many of classes at many club venues. The main reason why I like the IGT class is that it keeps the cost of competing down, it levels the playing field (we all have to drive the same car), and it showcases who has the driving skills and who don't. Making classes a competition on who can outspend the next guy has been bad for this hobby and has driven away many of competitor, newbie and veteran alike. As far as allowing the OFNA GTP car in, I don't have a problem with it. The more competitors in the class, the better it would be in the long run and if that means creating an outlaw class for the ones that just "have" to modify the car to the hilt, so be it.

Last edited by JLock; 08-09-2008 at 07:18 AM.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:44 PM   #942
Tech Elite

I'm not upset about the IGT or the GTP2 because I have them both. I just priced out the DM-1S and the solution to that is parting out my GTP2.
When the IGT2 comes out, I'll do the same (you listening Lee???!!!).
Anyway, I do agree that this class should be the RTR based car class. There are more and more of these cars showing up to our track in specific classes. People love the pricing and the look of these big cars. Many of my friends that ran off road love these cars. Just like you said JLock, the more people out there the better! Stay tuned for electric conversions of the IGT/GTP2 cars coming soon. That is the next evolution of these cars. Anything new, let it come!!
Old 08-09-2008, 05:36 AM   #943
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (94%+)

When is the release date for the IGT2
SLASH BOX STOCK-
NITRO TC3 ROSSI .12
nitro psyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #944
Tech Adept

Default Online???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro psyco View Post
When is the release date for the IGT2
Nitro, good question someone please update; I would like to know as well?????

Old 08-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #945
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock View Post
Nitro, good question someone please update; I would like to know as well?????

I am getting conflicting info but I heard that one will be available the end of this month and the other one will come out in Sept. If anyone has any other info please post it.

Thanks,

Lee
Winner's Circle is offline   Reply With Quote