Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default Possible Starting Point for Sportsman Rules

Tony,
Here is what we have been racing under the past few years at the track in Lincoln, NE for the Heart of America Series. Thanks to Z for allowing me to copy and paste to post this info here as one possible starting point for the IGT8F Sportsman Rules.....

All brands of cars that fit into the following rules are permitted to compete in the GT class.

These rules allow for some "racer inovations" to flourish, but at the same time will maintain the spirit of the class.

Chassis:
Any 1/8 Buggy/Truggy based and shaft driven chassis GT nitro cars. (Any manufacture or off-road racer conversions are OK also.) Cars can only use commercially available production aluminum lower chassis plates. No carbon fiber lower chassis plates are permitted.
Body:
Any commercially available "GT" race car style/type body. Must look like a car that could actually be driven on the street with a passenger in real life or full scale. The engines cooling head fins can not be exposed from the top or the sides of the body. Rear wing or spoiler must be attached to the actual body. (No chassis mounted or "buggy/truggy" type wing mounts).
Tires:
Only commercially available rubber tires are allowed. Tires must fit under the car's body from overhead view. Adding "fender flairs" on the body to increase tire coverage is not allowed. No "foam" tires permitted.
Fuel Capacity:
All cars can have 1 fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 150cc.
Diffs:
Cars must be equipped with standard gear diffs only. No "TCD" type diffs are permitted.
Clutch:
No "adjustable" or "slider" type clutches allowed. Only 2, 3, or 4 shoe buggy based systems are allowed.
Engine:
Cars can use any .28 or smaller engine with a maximum cost (normal retail with no modifications is the intent) of $300.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by pressure
Great thread. I hope with all the classes we have the turnout. Tony thanks for stepping up and putting your neck out ..many will try to cut your head off but stand by your product (IGTF) and let it speak for itself. Quality events racer support will make all the negativity disappear. Some of the best GT racers in the country have cosigned your efforts so your already ahead of the curve. I'm definitely gonna make a trip to Texas next year see if I can get my Pro card....
Hell yea, i want the Pro card more than anything else!!

Originally Posted by san.
Just so I'm clear. There's Open, Spec and Sportsman? If so, this will fragment the class even more.

I was under the impression that long wheel base chassis falls under 1:7 scale. Ex: The long chassis for DM-1 Spec is the same part number as the DM1-Pro chassis, which is 1:7 scale. Sorry if I'm mistaken.
That particular DM is supposed to be 1:7 scale but all others are 1:8. i dont think there really is much of a difference but i have no experience with the DM's maybe Grenade can chime in on it.

Originally Posted by burgboyz
Tony,
Here is what we have been racing under the past few years at the track in Lincoln, NE for the Heart of America Series. Thanks to Z for allowing me to copy and paste to post this info here as one possible starting point for the IGT8F Sportsman Rules.....

All brands of cars that fit into the following rules are permitted to compete in the GT class.

These rules allow for some "racer inovations" to flourish, but at the same time will maintain the spirit of the class.

Chassis:
Any 1/8 Buggy/Truggy based and shaft driven chassis GT nitro cars. (Any manufacture or off-road racer conversions are OK also.) Cars can only use commercially available production aluminum lower chassis plates. No carbon fiber lower chassis plates are permitted.
Body:
Any commercially available "GT" race car style/type body. Must look like a car that could actually be driven on the street with a passenger in real life or full scale. The engines cooling head fins can not be exposed from the top or the sides of the body. Rear wing or spoiler must be attached to the actual body. (No chassis mounted or "buggy/truggy" type wing mounts).
Tires:
Only commercially available rubber tires are allowed. Tires must fit under the car's body from overhead view. Adding "fender flairs" on the body to increase tire coverage is not allowed. No "foam" tires permitted.
Fuel Capacity:
Diffs:
Cars must be equipped with standard gear diffs only. No "TCD" type diffs are permitted.
Clutch:
No "adjustable" or "slider" type clutches allowed. Only 2, 3, or 4 shoe buggy based systems are allowed.
Engine:
Cars can use any .28 or smaller engine with a maximum cost (normal retail with no modifications is the intent) of $300.

Isnt that the same as what we have now? what separates this from open besides the 300.00 cap? I guess my question is, what keeps someone from me running it and what i mean by that is that sportsman by definition is for "novice" racers for the most part.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tony,

Chassis:
Body:
Tires:
Fuel Capacity:
Diffs:
Clutch:
Engine:
I would like to see added to this is a 6mm restrictor and tires that have the same characteristics between brands. Alpha mediums, Sweep 50's, VP's, IP's and who ever else is in the GT Game.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Last I looked, the Sportsman Class rules was TBD and Tony was requesting input to start a conversation.

Did I miss something?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

I think as long as the wheelbase and track width dimesions are within the rules, it doesn't matter what label you put on it......

igt8f.com

BM
Old 09-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

I don't mind a restrictor rule, but I'd like to keep the tires open with no brands or shore limitations. This is a big tuning tool that we need to let people experiment with and learn what works. This class is a step up from the Spec class and a stepping stone to running Open.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

I don't mind a restrictor rule, but I'd like to keep the tires open with no brands or shore limitations. This is a big tuning tool that we need to let people experiment with and learn what works. This class is a step up from the Spec class and a stepping stone to running Open.
Well Marcus is right, might as well run Open. Leave the Brands open, but limit the shores. Nothing like going to a race and you have to take 6 sets of tires with you.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by T-Hawk
Well Marcus is right, might as well run Open. Leave the Brands open, but limit the shores. Nothing like going to a race and you have to take 6 sets of tires with you.
AMEN to that!! I hate choosing tire compounds, its nerve racking!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Tony,

Chassis:
Body:
Tires:
Fuel Capacity:
Diffs:
Clutch:
Engine:
First Thanks for someone finally stepping up for the "Sportsman" Class.(have NOT received one response till now)
As stated before this class is for you the racers and Desoto to submit your final set of rules.

Btw, Heart of America Series may soon be announced as IGT8F OFFICIAL Affiliates.

There is a deadline.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

1. Spec class is defined.
2. "Sportsman" (or whatever "label" it is when completed), is NOT defined.
3. Open/Pro class is defined.

A primary goal in the vision of IGT8F is to grow the class.

1. Spec allows an affordable, controlled entry into this hobby of GT racing.
2. "Sportsman" needs to be a logical next step up. Keep the spec roller or upgrade, (unless you have one already) upgrade the engine, servos, etc. after you have some experience under your belt and race!
3. Open/Pro....definition in the label.

This is how I interpret Tony's overall vision for the classes.
Hopefully he chimes in and responds.

-Jon Frandsen
Old 09-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
AMEN to that!! I hate choosing tire compounds, its nerve racking!
I know I am not a "Pro", yet, and I just do not want to have tires dictated for me if I do not want to run Sportsman or OPEN that race. Traction, track condition, and track temps vary in huge amounts depending on where you race.

Last edited by burgboyz; 09-23-2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added "Sportsman"
Old 09-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

On a Positive side.

I would like to Announce that the SouthWest Champion Series here in Texas are now Officially IGT8F AFFILIATES.
You will now have both IGT8F "SPEC & OPEN" Classes available at all SWCS races
Old 09-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

There's barely enough to field 3 heats of <insert flavor here> GT at the 3 tracks near us (DE, NYC and NY), let alone creating three separate classes. What ever happened to allowing the system to sort everyone in their respective skill set. Isn't that why we have a Dmain, Cmain, Bmain and Amain's?

Is there spec or even sportman classes in other nitro genres? Ex: 1:10 Sedan, 1:8 Onroad, 1:8 Pan Car, etc.

All the work and communication happening here is great, don't get me wrong. But, I'm concern about what club, state or region this is going to help. Certainly, not ours.

Good luck to IGT8F and all its affiliates.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

I know I am not a Pro, yet, and I just do not want to have tires dictated for me if I do not want to run OPEN that race. Traction, track condition, and track temps vary in huge amounts depending on where you race.
Everyone would be on the same playing field. Makes you tune your car to the track conditions. Tuning adjustments are mostly free, but tires cost you another $50+.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

1. Spec class is defined.
2. "Sportsman" (or whatever "label" it is when completed), is NOT defined.
3. Open/Pro class is defined.

A primary goal in the vision of IGT8F is to grow the class.

1. Spec allows an affordable, controlled entry into this hobby of GT racing.
2. "Sportsman" needs to be a logical next step up. Keep the spec roller or upgrade, (unless you have one already) upgrade the engine, servos, etc. after you have some experience under your belt and race!
3. Open/Pro....definition in the label.

This is how I interpret Tony's overall vision for the classes.
Hopefully he chimes in and responds.

-Jon Frandsen
Thank you and Yes this is the Overall vision.

I personally don't agree with a "Sportsman" Class, but that's my personal choice.

IGT8F as stated is to promote racing.

If the "Sportsman" Rules are submitted by the DEADLINE, and has an Official Sponsor for the Class. It will be published in the class rules, and promoted.
If not it will be Deleted off site and will not be open for discussion till Rule change and Discussion time of year.

IGT8F will countinue to promote it's existing "SPEC & OPEN" Class as defined.

"SPEC" rules are Finalized and has its Official Sponsors.
"OPEN " rules are Finalized and is available for sponsorship.

" SPORTSMAN" rules needed to be submitted, and Requires a Sponsorship.

Last edited by tonylunatic; 09-23-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.