R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #9166
Tech Master
 
burgboyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Da 'Burg
Posts: 1,247
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default Possible Starting Point for Sportsman Rules

Tony,
Here is what we have been racing under the past few years at the track in Lincoln, NE for the Heart of America Series. Thanks to Z for allowing me to copy and paste to post this info here as one possible starting point for the IGT8F Sportsman Rules.....

All brands of cars that fit into the following rules are permitted to compete in the GT class.

These rules allow for some "racer inovations" to flourish, but at the same time will maintain the spirit of the class.

Chassis:
Any 1/8 Buggy/Truggy based and shaft driven chassis GT nitro cars. (Any manufacture or off-road racer conversions are OK also.) Cars can only use commercially available production aluminum lower chassis plates. No carbon fiber lower chassis plates are permitted.
Body:
Any commercially available "GT" race car style/type body. Must look like a car that could actually be driven on the street with a passenger in real life or full scale. The engines cooling head fins can not be exposed from the top or the sides of the body. Rear wing or spoiler must be attached to the actual body. (No chassis mounted or "buggy/truggy" type wing mounts).
Tires:
Only commercially available rubber tires are allowed. Tires must fit under the car's body from overhead view. Adding "fender flairs" on the body to increase tire coverage is not allowed. No "foam" tires permitted.
Fuel Capacity:
All cars can have 1 fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 150cc.
Diffs:
Cars must be equipped with standard gear diffs only. No "TCD" type diffs are permitted.
Clutch:
No "adjustable" or "slider" type clutches allowed. Only 2, 3, or 4 shoe buggy based systems are allowed.
Engine:
Cars can use any .28 or smaller engine with a maximum cost (normal retail with no modifications is the intent) of $300.
__________________
Got Droop???
Speed Passion....Speed Power....Serpent America/Desoto Racing.
burgboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #9167
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,846
Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressure View Post
Great thread. I hope with all the classes we have the turnout. Tony thanks for stepping up and putting your neck out ..many will try to cut your head off but stand by your product (IGTF) and let it speak for itself. Quality events racer support will make all the negativity disappear. Some of the best GT racers in the country have cosigned your efforts so your already ahead of the curve. I'm definitely gonna make a trip to Texas next year see if I can get my Pro card....
Hell yea, i want the Pro card more than anything else!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by san. View Post
Just so I'm clear. There's Open, Spec and Sportsman? If so, this will fragment the class even more.

I was under the impression that long wheel base chassis falls under 1:7 scale. Ex: The long chassis for DM-1 Spec is the same part number as the DM1-Pro chassis, which is 1:7 scale. Sorry if I'm mistaken.
That particular DM is supposed to be 1:7 scale but all others are 1:8. i dont think there really is much of a difference but i have no experience with the DM's maybe Grenade can chime in on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgboyz View Post
Tony,
Here is what we have been racing under the past few years at the track in Lincoln, NE for the Heart of America Series. Thanks to Z for allowing me to copy and paste to post this info here as one possible starting point for the IGT8F Sportsman Rules.....

All brands of cars that fit into the following rules are permitted to compete in the GT class.

These rules allow for some "racer inovations" to flourish, but at the same time will maintain the spirit of the class.

Chassis:
Any 1/8 Buggy/Truggy based and shaft driven chassis GT nitro cars. (Any manufacture or off-road racer conversions are OK also.) Cars can only use commercially available production aluminum lower chassis plates. No carbon fiber lower chassis plates are permitted.
Body:
Any commercially available "GT" race car style/type body. Must look like a car that could actually be driven on the street with a passenger in real life or full scale. The engines cooling head fins can not be exposed from the top or the sides of the body. Rear wing or spoiler must be attached to the actual body. (No chassis mounted or "buggy/truggy" type wing mounts).
Tires:
Only commercially available rubber tires are allowed. Tires must fit under the car's body from overhead view. Adding "fender flairs" on the body to increase tire coverage is not allowed. No "foam" tires permitted.
Fuel Capacity:
All cars can have 1 fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 150cc.
Diffs:
Cars must be equipped with standard gear diffs only. No "TCD" type diffs are permitted.
Clutch:
No "adjustable" or "slider" type clutches allowed. Only 2, 3, or 4 shoe buggy based systems are allowed.
Engine:
Cars can use any .28 or smaller engine with a maximum cost (normal retail with no modifications is the intent) of $300.

Isnt that the same as what we have now? what separates this from open besides the 300.00 cap? I guess my question is, what keeps someone from me running it and what i mean by that is that sportsman by definition is for "novice" racers for the most part.
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #9168
Tech Elite
 
T-Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: La Center
Posts: 2,605
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgboyz View Post
Tony,
Here is what we have been racing under the past few years at the track in Lincoln, NE for the Heart of America Series. Thanks to Z for allowing me to copy and paste to post this info here as one possible starting point for the IGT8F Sportsman Rules.....

All brands of cars that fit into the following rules are permitted to compete in the GT class.

These rules allow for some "racer inovations" to flourish, but at the same time will maintain the spirit of the class.

Chassis:
Any 1/8 Buggy/Truggy based and shaft driven chassis GT nitro cars. (Any manufacture or off-road racer conversions are OK also.) Cars can only use commercially available production aluminum lower chassis plates. No carbon fiber lower chassis plates are permitted.
Body:
Any commercially available "GT" race car style/type body. Must look like a car that could actually be driven on the street with a passenger in real life or full scale. The engines cooling head fins can not be exposed from the top or the sides of the body. Rear wing or spoiler must be attached to the actual body. (No chassis mounted or "buggy/truggy" type wing mounts).
Tires:
Only commercially available rubber tires are allowed. Tires must fit under the car's body from overhead view. Adding "fender flairs" on the body to increase tire coverage is not allowed. No "foam" tires permitted.
Fuel Capacity:
All cars can have 1 fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 150cc.
Diffs:
Cars must be equipped with standard gear diffs only. No "TCD" type diffs are permitted.
Clutch:
No "adjustable" or "slider" type clutches allowed. Only 2, 3, or 4 shoe buggy based systems are allowed.
Engine:
Cars can use any .28 or smaller engine with a maximum cost (normal retail with no modifications is the intent) of $300.
I would like to see added to this is a 6mm restrictor and tires that have the same characteristics between brands. Alpha mediums, Sweep 50's, VP's, IP's and who ever else is in the GT Game.
__________________
-Ryan Newbury-

TomAHawk Racing - On-Time Services - XRay Racing - Sweep Racing - RoseCityScaleRacing.com -
T-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #9169
Tech Master
 
burgboyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Da 'Burg
Posts: 1,247
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

Last I looked, the Sportsman Class rules was TBD and Tony was requesting input to start a conversation.

Did I miss something?
__________________
Got Droop???
Speed Passion....Speed Power....Serpent America/Desoto Racing.
burgboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #9170
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,248
Default

I think as long as the wheelbase and track width dimesions are within the rules, it doesn't matter what label you put on it......

igt8f.com

BM
__________________
So enjoying building cars I sometimes forget to save some "man-time" to race them!?
British Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #9171
Tech Master
 
burgboyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Da 'Burg
Posts: 1,247
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

I don't mind a restrictor rule, but I'd like to keep the tires open with no brands or shore limitations. This is a big tuning tool that we need to let people experiment with and learn what works. This class is a step up from the Spec class and a stepping stone to running Open.
__________________
Got Droop???
Speed Passion....Speed Power....Serpent America/Desoto Racing.
burgboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #9172
Tech Elite
 
T-Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: La Center
Posts: 2,605
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgboyz View Post
I don't mind a restrictor rule, but I'd like to keep the tires open with no brands or shore limitations. This is a big tuning tool that we need to let people experiment with and learn what works. This class is a step up from the Spec class and a stepping stone to running Open.
Well Marcus is right, might as well run Open. Leave the Brands open, but limit the shores. Nothing like going to a race and you have to take 6 sets of tires with you.
__________________
-Ryan Newbury-

TomAHawk Racing - On-Time Services - XRay Racing - Sweep Racing - RoseCityScaleRacing.com -
T-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #9173
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,846
Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Hawk View Post
Well Marcus is right, might as well run Open. Leave the Brands open, but limit the shores. Nothing like going to a race and you have to take 6 sets of tires with you.
AMEN to that!! I hate choosing tire compounds, its nerve racking!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #9174
Tech Master
 
tonylunatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Seabrook, TX
Posts: 1,046
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgboyz View Post
Tony,
Here is what we have been racing under the past few years at the track in Lincoln, NE for the Heart of America Series. Thanks to Z for allowing me to copy and paste to post this info here as one possible starting point for the IGT8F Sportsman Rules.....

All brands of cars that fit into the following rules are permitted to compete in the GT class.

These rules allow for some "racer inovations" to flourish, but at the same time will maintain the spirit of the class.

Chassis:
Any 1/8 Buggy/Truggy based and shaft driven chassis GT nitro cars. (Any manufacture or off-road racer conversions are OK also.) Cars can only use commercially available production aluminum lower chassis plates. No carbon fiber lower chassis plates are permitted.
Body:
Any commercially available "GT" race car style/type body. Must look like a car that could actually be driven on the street with a passenger in real life or full scale. The engines cooling head fins can not be exposed from the top or the sides of the body. Rear wing or spoiler must be attached to the actual body. (No chassis mounted or "buggy/truggy" type wing mounts).
Tires:
Only commercially available rubber tires are allowed. Tires must fit under the car's body from overhead view. Adding "fender flairs" on the body to increase tire coverage is not allowed. No "foam" tires permitted.
Fuel Capacity:
All cars can have 1 fuel tank with a maximum capacity of 150cc.
Diffs:
Cars must be equipped with standard gear diffs only. No "TCD" type diffs are permitted.
Clutch:
No "adjustable" or "slider" type clutches allowed. Only 2, 3, or 4 shoe buggy based systems are allowed.
Engine:
Cars can use any .28 or smaller engine with a maximum cost (normal retail with no modifications is the intent) of $300.
First Thanks for someone finally stepping up for the "Sportsman" Class.(have NOT received one response till now)
As stated before this class is for you the racers and Desoto to submit your final set of rules.

Btw, Heart of America Series may soon be announced as IGT8F OFFICIAL Affiliates.

There is a deadline.
__________________
Serpent/Desoto Racing USA~Murnan Modified Motors~PTRC Racing Fluids~Flo-Control ~IGTHobbies.com
tonylunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #9175
Tech Master
 
burgboyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Da 'Burg
Posts: 1,247
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

1. Spec class is defined.
2. "Sportsman" (or whatever "label" it is when completed), is NOT defined.
3. Open/Pro class is defined.

A primary goal in the vision of IGT8F is to grow the class.

1. Spec allows an affordable, controlled entry into this hobby of GT racing.
2. "Sportsman" needs to be a logical next step up. Keep the spec roller or upgrade, (unless you have one already) upgrade the engine, servos, etc. after you have some experience under your belt and race!
3. Open/Pro....definition in the label.

This is how I interpret Tony's overall vision for the classes.
Hopefully he chimes in and responds.

-Jon Frandsen
__________________
Got Droop???
Speed Passion....Speed Power....Serpent America/Desoto Racing.
burgboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #9176
Tech Master
 
burgboyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Da 'Burg
Posts: 1,247
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
AMEN to that!! I hate choosing tire compounds, its nerve racking!
I know I am not a "Pro", yet, and I just do not want to have tires dictated for me if I do not want to run Sportsman or OPEN that race. Traction, track condition, and track temps vary in huge amounts depending on where you race.
__________________
Got Droop???
Speed Passion....Speed Power....Serpent America/Desoto Racing.

Last edited by burgboyz; 09-23-2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added "Sportsman"
burgboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #9177
Tech Master
 
tonylunatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Seabrook, TX
Posts: 1,046
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

On a Positive side.

I would like to Announce that the SouthWest Champion Series here in Texas are now Officially IGT8F AFFILIATES.
You will now have both IGT8F "SPEC & OPEN" Classes available at all SWCS races
__________________
Serpent/Desoto Racing USA~Murnan Modified Motors~PTRC Racing Fluids~Flo-Control ~IGTHobbies.com
tonylunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #9178
Tech Elite
 
san.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,303
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

There's barely enough to field 3 heats of <insert flavor here> GT at the 3 tracks near us (DE, NYC and NY), let alone creating three separate classes. What ever happened to allowing the system to sort everyone in their respective skill set. Isn't that why we have a Dmain, Cmain, Bmain and Amain's?

Is there spec or even sportman classes in other nitro genres? Ex: 1:10 Sedan, 1:8 Onroad, 1:8 Pan Car, etc.

All the work and communication happening here is great, don't get me wrong. But, I'm concern about what club, state or region this is going to help. Certainly, not ours.

Good luck to IGT8F and all its affiliates.
__________________
Awesomatix USA||Roche RC USA||Sanwa
san. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #9179
Tech Elite
 
T-Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: La Center
Posts: 2,605
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgboyz View Post
I know I am not a Pro, yet, and I just do not want to have tires dictated for me if I do not want to run OPEN that race. Traction, track condition, and track temps vary in huge amounts depending on where you race.
Everyone would be on the same playing field. Makes you tune your car to the track conditions. Tuning adjustments are mostly free, but tires cost you another $50+.
__________________
-Ryan Newbury-

TomAHawk Racing - On-Time Services - XRay Racing - Sweep Racing - RoseCityScaleRacing.com -
T-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #9180
Tech Master
 
tonylunatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Seabrook, TX
Posts: 1,046
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgboyz View Post
1. Spec class is defined.
2. "Sportsman" (or whatever "label" it is when completed), is NOT defined.
3. Open/Pro class is defined.

A primary goal in the vision of IGT8F is to grow the class.

1. Spec allows an affordable, controlled entry into this hobby of GT racing.
2. "Sportsman" needs to be a logical next step up. Keep the spec roller or upgrade, (unless you have one already) upgrade the engine, servos, etc. after you have some experience under your belt and race!
3. Open/Pro....definition in the label.

This is how I interpret Tony's overall vision for the classes.
Hopefully he chimes in and responds.

-Jon Frandsen
Thank you and Yes this is the Overall vision.

I personally don't agree with a "Sportsman" Class, but that's my personal choice.

IGT8F as stated is to promote racing.

If the "Sportsman" Rules are submitted by the DEADLINE, and has an Official Sponsor for the Class. It will be published in the class rules, and promoted.
If not it will be Deleted off site and will not be open for discussion till Rule change and Discussion time of year.

IGT8F will countinue to promote it's existing "SPEC & OPEN" Class as defined.

"SPEC" rules are Finalized and has its Official Sponsors.
"OPEN " rules are Finalized and is available for sponsorship.

" SPORTSMAN" rules needed to be submitted, and Requires a Sponsorship.
__________________
Serpent/Desoto Racing USA~Murnan Modified Motors~PTRC Racing Fluids~Flo-Control ~IGTHobbies.com

Last edited by tonylunatic; 09-23-2013 at 11:15 AM.
tonylunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GT class--buggy-based on road! duneland Nitro Off-Road 5 03-20-2012 11:03 AM
JRX-S based 4wd buggy?? Why was the idea scrapped? cpatel529 Electric Off-Road 33 12-08-2007 06:19 AM
WTB: .21 NovaRossi based on-road engine parts Speed_Racer R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 12-26-2006 11:40 AM
WTB: .21 NovaRossi based on-road engine parts Speed_Racer R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 13 09-30-2006 10:31 AM
WTB: .21 NovaRossi based on-road engine parts Speed_Racer R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 8 03-21-2006 01:05 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:34 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net