R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #9136
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,886
Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default

I wonder what would happen if Serpent had a long chassis?
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #9137
Tech Elite
 
Grenade10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 4,673
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman2 View Post
YOU HAVE MY SUPPORT as a racer.
Mine as well

I'm building a car that I can let others race if they want to give it a try. We need to grow the racer base, and I see this as the best option put forward and what I had thought GT8 would be able to give Nitro Onroad.

Mark
__________________
Darkside, Sweep, BSR, Fantom, IGT Hobbies and IGT8
Byrons Fuel, ProtoForm Bodies & Futaba Radio Gear by Choice
Founding Member of CORRC .... 5280raceway
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #9138
Tech Master
 
DRRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,505
Trader Rating: 57 (98%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
Mine as well

I'm building a car that I can let others race if they want to give it a try. We need to grow the racer base, and I see this as the best option put forward and what I had thought GT8 would be able to give Nitro Onroad.

Mark
Can I race my DM 1 with upright shock towers done by somebody we know
I think it should be allowed bec it is nothing special and it will not give an advantage
__________________
Team Wife
Mugen Seiki Racing
Mugenracing.com
DRRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #9139
Tech Fanatic
 
Joe Kimble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 872
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Joe Kimble
Default

I find all this very promising. I read constructive opinion exchanges and it looks like GT8 racing is going to grow even faster than it already is. It looks like a challenge but life is full of challenges isn't it... I would like to express some of my opinions on both strategic and technical sides.
On a strategic side I believe that on mid-long term experienced racers should not run this class because tuning and setup experience-ability makes too much of a difference. But I also believe that experienced racers should be available to help out the new comers to make sure their car can function properly. For example a tutoring program could be elaborated where each new comer would have an experienced racer helping him out on race day. I know that it makes a huge difference and I have seen a lot of new comers welcoming that kind of help.
On a technical note, I noticed that there were big differences in caracteristics between cars in their "stock" form. Here are a few examples:

-gearing: the Kyosho and DM1 are geared very tall out of the box and the OFNA GT/V2 is geared very short.
The consequence of that is that with the same 5 port engine the IGT and DM1 will be slow out of corners but will be super fast in sweeper sections and straights, large tracks. The OFNA GTV2 will have mucho punch out of the corners but will be slower on sweeper sections and straights, advantaged in very short tracks.
- durability: the kyosho stock bevel gears don't last and OFNA DM1 and GTV2 will last.

A way of making things even between these different cars using same engine and tires would be to hand out or email a short document with recommendations.
For example advising kyosho owners to get the straight gears for the bulkheads as well as the 3 shoe flywheel and the OFNA GTV2 owners to use the OFNA DM1 clutchbell with the bigger pinions... It would also be cool to offer those new comers help from an experienced racer to assist installing the proper items in the car.
__________________
Serpent America
Sweep USA
RCShox
Joe Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #9140
Tech Addict
 
bassman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UT/TX/IN/PA
Posts: 718
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Like I said before I am supportive of what the IGT8F is about. The one thing and the only thing that I wish the federation can adjust, is the naming of the "SPEC" class. Instead of calling it just SPEC class, based on the rules as it stands right now, it should really be more specific on naming the "SPEC" class (like "REDS SPEC", or something like that) to minimize confusion for the newbies.

If someone who decided to buy a long chassis RTR then this person will need to buy a new REDs motor, a new REDs pipe, a new REDs header...etc., I hope you are getting my point. Anyway, there is nothing wrong with what you are doing but just name the SPEC class more appropriately and thats all.

Again thank you Tony for making the effort along with others (lots of names in my mind) to make this GT8 class a better class.
__________________
Andy Liu "Flyin' Hawaiian"
2015 teams/sponsors:
Serpentamerica/Desoto Racing, Murnan Modified Motors, VP powermaster Fuel, Sweep Racing USA, Speed Passion, BUKU performance products
bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #9141
Tech Elite
 
T-Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: La Center
Posts: 2,629
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

This is why these forums are confusing. If we could all get on a conference call everything would be handled already. I woke up at 3 this morning, realizing finally Tonys' vision. Think of the Spec class as Tonys class, he came up with all the rules, put the leg work into contacting all the manufactures. He has made a class that can be teched in 30 seconds. WE DON'T HAVE TO RUN THIS CLASS!!!! He is giving us the opportunity to make up the rules for the Sportsman class. This is the class we will use for our Controlled racing. Say a list of 5-10 motors, certain shore of tires from different manufactures, ALL GT8 CHASSIS' Allowed! I know us in the NW will not be running Tonys Spec class but we will run SPORTSMAN. Quit the bickering and let's make the rules For the IGT8F Sportsman Class!!!

Ryan
__________________
-Ryan Newbury-

TomAHawk Racing - On-Time Services - XRay Racing - Sweep Racing - RoseCityScaleRacing.com -
T-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #9142
Tech Master
 
tonylunatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Seabrook, TX
Posts: 1,063
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kimble View Post
I find all this very promising. I read constructive opinion exchanges and it looks like GT8 racing is going to grow even faster than it already is. It looks like a challenge but life is full of challenges isn't it... I would like to express some of my opinions on both strategic and technical sides.
On a strategic side I believe that on mid-long term experienced racers should not run this class because tuning and setup experience-ability makes too much of a difference. But I also believe that experienced racers should be available to help out the new comers to make sure their car can function properly. For example a tutoring program could be elaborated where each new comer would have an experienced racer helping him out on race day. I know that it makes a huge difference and I have seen a lot of new comers welcoming that kind of help.
On a technical note, I noticed that there were big differences in caracteristics between cars in their "stock" form. Here are a few examples:

-gearing: the Kyosho and DM1 are geared very tall out of the box and the OFNA GT/V2 is geared very short.
The consequence of that is that with the same 5 port engine the IGT and DM1 will be slow out of corners but will be super fast in sweeper sections and straights, large tracks. The OFNA GTV2 will have mucho punch out of the corners but will be slower on sweeper sections and straights, advantaged in very short tracks.
- durability: the kyosho stock bevel gears don't last and OFNA DM1 and GTV2 will last.

A way of making things even between these different cars using same engine and tires would be to hand out or email a short document with recommendations.
For example advising kyosho owners to get the straight gears for the bulkheads as well as the 3 shoe flywheel and the OFNA GTV2 owners to use the OFNA DM1 clutchbell with the bigger pinions... It would also be cool to offer those new comers help from an experienced racer to assist installing the proper items in the car.
Everything and really everything you just pointed out, has been in the original plans. I even have ruff drafted a 12yr old and under version of IGT8F "SPEC". Were I and other experienced racers would tutor the prospects, for scheduled practice sessions. Have a practice seminar weeks prior to a large event so they would be prepared for the pressures of actual organized racing. So on race day they don't feel like they got hit by a truck and get discouraged to race anymore. With all the yelling for corner, flame outs, pits, hacks etc.

As for the DM stand up shock towers, this was a Grey area. But I had already decided to allow them. It only makes the car more linear in setup to the other cars and classes. There's already a semi finished list of what upgrades are allowed in IGT8F "SPEC". The list has not been posted to further confusion, but the list is compiled of parts that help the cars be more durable, easier to setup and drive and in others words needed to make the car work well. Not bling or light weight this or that, or upgrades that are not really needed (just wanted).. hence the original heavier weight is to detour prospects from buying unnecessary items.

As for the name "SPEC" IGT8F is my organization and it's called " IGT8F "SPEC" for that reason.
__________________
Serpent/Desoto Racing USA~Murnan Modified Motors~PTRC Racing Fluids~Flo-Control ~IGTHobbies.com

Last edited by tonylunatic; 09-22-2013 at 05:45 AM.
tonylunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #9143
Tech Addict
 
bassman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UT/TX/IN/PA
Posts: 718
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Hawk View Post
This is why these forums are confusing. If we could all get on a conference call everything would be handled already. I woke up at 3 this morning, realizing finally Tonys' vision. Think of the Spec class as Tonys class, he came up with all the rules, put the leg work into contacting all the manufactures. He has made a class that can be teched in 30 seconds. WE DON'T HAVE TO RUN THIS CLASS!!!! He is giving us the opportunity to make up the rules for the Sportsman class. This is the class we will use for our Controlled racing. Say a list of 5-10 motors, certain shore of tires from different manufactures, ALL GT8 CHASSIS' Allowed! I know us in the NW will not be running Tonys Spec class but we will run SPORTSMAN. Quit the bickering and let's make the rules For the IGT8F Sportsman Class!!!

Ryan
Ha..ha...ha. LOL! Ryan, I woke up this morning and I had 11 phone calls about this topic.......Yes a conference call might be better...ha..ha..ha..LOL.

Anyway, I am with you.

Tony and everyone in this class need inputs!!!

The IGT8F Sportsman Class rules are:

.....................
.....................
__________________
Andy Liu "Flyin' Hawaiian"
2015 teams/sponsors:
Serpentamerica/Desoto Racing, Murnan Modified Motors, VP powermaster Fuel, Sweep Racing USA, Speed Passion, BUKU performance products
bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #9144
Tech Master
 
tonylunatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Seabrook, TX
Posts: 1,063
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kimble View Post
I find all this very promising. I read constructive opinion exchanges and it looks like GT8 racing is going to grow even faster than it already is. It looks like a challenge but life is full of challenges isn't it... I would like to express some of my opinions on both strategic and technical sides.
On a strategic side I believe that on mid-long term experienced racers should not run this class because tuning and setup experience-ability makes too much of a difference. But I also believe that experienced racers should be available to help out the new comers to make sure their car can function properly. For example a tutoring program could be elaborated where each new comer would have an experienced racer helping him out on race day. I know that it makes a huge difference and I have seen a lot of new comers welcoming that kind of help.
On a technical note, I noticed that there were big differences in caracteristics between cars in their "stock" form. Here are a few examples:

-gearing: the Kyosho and DM1 are geared very tall out of the box and the OFNA GT/V2 is geared very short.
The consequence of that is that with the same 5 port engine the IGT and DM1 will be slow out of corners but will be super fast in sweeper sections and straights, large tracks. The OFNA GTV2 will have mucho punch out of the corners but will be slower on sweeper sections and straights, advantaged in very short tracks.
- durability: the kyosho stock bevel gears don't last and OFNA DM1 and GTV2 will last.

A way of making things even between these different cars using same engine and tires would be to hand out or email a short document with recommendations.
For example advising kyosho owners to get the straight gears for the bulkheads as well as the 3 shoe flywheel and the OFNA GTV2 owners to use the OFNA DM1 clutchbell with the bigger pinions... It would also be cool to offer those new comers help from an experienced racer to assist installing the proper items in the car.
Everything and really everything you just pointed out, has been in the original plans. I even have ruff drafted a 12yr old and under version of IGT8F "SPEC". Were I and other experienced racers would tutor the prospects, for scheduled practice sessions. Have a practice seminar weeks prior to a large event so they would be prepared for the pressures of actual organized racing. So on race day they don't feel like they got hit by a truck and get discouraged to race anymore. With all the yelling for corner, flame outs, pits, hacks etc.

As for the DM stand up shock towers, this was a Grey area. But I had already decided to allow them. It only makes the car more linear in setup to the other cars and classes. There's already a semi finished list of what upgrades are allowed in IGT8F "SPEC". The list has not been posted to further confusion, but the list is compiled of parts that help the cars be more durable, easier to setup and drive and in others words needed to make the car work well. Not bling or light weight this or that, or upgrades that are not really needed (just wanted).. hence the original heavier weight is to detour prospects from buying unnecessary items.

As for the name "SPEC" .... IGT8F is my organization and it's called " IGT8F "SPEC" for that reason. There are to many things in play already yo change that. That's SET IN STONE. "IGT8F SPEC"
__________________
Serpent/Desoto Racing USA~Murnan Modified Motors~PTRC Racing Fluids~Flo-Control ~IGTHobbies.com

Last edited by tonylunatic; 09-22-2013 at 05:48 AM.
tonylunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #9145
Tech Master
 
tonylunatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Seabrook, TX
Posts: 1,063
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman2 View Post
Ha..ha...ha. LOL! Ryan, I woke up this morning and I had 11 phone calls about this topic.......Yes a conference call might be better...ha..ha..ha..LOL.

Anyway, I am with you.

Tony and everyone in this class need inputs!!!

The IGT8F Sportsman Class rules are:

.....................
.....................
The "SPORTSMAN" Class is your(the racers, and other parties) to manage and set as you please. Only reason it's on my site was out of respect for what was requested of me. The truth be told not many local or national events currently have the numbers to support an Open & Sportsman class.

Personally if I were a (prospect) willing to Pony up to a Sportsman class car which is the same as Open from my point if view, based on equipment. I won't race Sportsman I would want to race Open. To get better quicker, know exactly were I stood in the pack, and push me to get better.

Again my view from experience. I started racing at the age of 12 on road Oval, times were different, technology and all and choices were very limited on everything. I was put in with everyone else, ya I sucked(probably still do), but it made me better for it, I practiced more not wanting to be in last. Even if I was one spot above the last guy I felt like a WINNER. I'm not the type person to be told your not good enough, so your race with these other guys.

This point of view is based on equipment, so don't get it twisted. To me there is no real difference between Sportsman and Open. Even if you say these X number of motors, X number of tires, restrictor on carb. Anyway you cut it you can race that exact same car in Open.

My number is always good and I always answer or get back fairly quick. Email or phone.
Today is not a good day for this, it's my Birthday.
__________________
Serpent/Desoto Racing USA~Murnan Modified Motors~PTRC Racing Fluids~Flo-Control ~IGTHobbies.com

Last edited by tonylunatic; 09-22-2013 at 05:50 AM.
tonylunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #9146
Tech Regular
 
DK McGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 285
Trader Rating: 36 (97%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
Speedy, the comment about "not making my pockets fat" was a direct attack on me but i cannot defend myself? I said nothing to him before that except for answered his question but now you think i sound like Jeff?? I mean no harm by this but please explain to me how I was in the wrong? maybe I am missing something. i could easily say you sound like Jeff by bringing up old rules but I did not do that.

"formula Ford,Mazda cup. SCCA spec RX7 etc etc ...............We are not running these classes as well we are running RC cars GT8 I run Open class but who is to say I would run both classes YET dont want to make your pockets fatter ? Hell this is a dead issue I hope your Spec class works out for the best see ya Oct 6 for some open."


Seriously what was meant by that? D I have helped you numerous times at the track, didnt even know your name, helped you with a tune issue and helped with what we though was a clutch issue but ended up being your dif gears also helped you with some chassis tuning tips. I even made those braces for you the morning you wanted them even though at that time they were not even released yet, i woke up at 6 that morning , changed the setup on my machine and made one set just for you because Tony said you really wanted them!! So i am somewhat confused by your aggressive statement. You asked me a question and i answered it honestly with no malice or ill intentions and then you turn around and say something like that? I feel that was completely uncalled for. And your follow up for editing is because "you dont want to rattle Marcus the great"? So from this point on i guess we have a problem with each other? Let me know now so i can move on with it.
Marcus I did word the one statment wrong (making your pockets Fatter) in all honesty I didnt mean to direct towards you . You have helped me in the past and I do thank you as for all. And there is no reason too bicker we race together. I think a spec class would be great it is that 1 Rule that would keep me away . And that would be motor rule. And the way I look at the rules Is it looks to be in You and Tony's favor and I think im not the only one. Of course I really should just stay out of the politics and just race ! Oct 6th
Dave
__________________
Marcos.J is an idiot along with his side kick's:flaming:

"And now I'm editing your signature and letting everyone know that you are permanently banned from " your truly Marcos.J aka the idiot
DK McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #9147
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,886
Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK McGee View Post
Marcus I did word the one statment wrong (making your pockets Fatter) in all honesty I didnt mean to direct towards you . You have helped me in the past and I do thank you as for all. And there is no reason too bicker we race together. I think a spec class would be great it is that 1 Rule that would keep me away . And that would be motor rule. And the way I look at the rules Is it looks to be in You and Tony's favor and I think im not the only one. Of course I really should just stay out of the politics and just race ! Oct 6th
Dave
No worries man, that's how I percieved it and if that was not your intention then that's good enough for me, bygones, let's move on! Cya on the 6th!

I have nothing to do with the choices and since Tony is the one putting this entire thing together he deserves the right to choose what he wants. He doesnt sell any of the components either so no financial gain for him at all. There are no finacial incentives,this I know for a fact. Engines combo is being sold for less than I can get them for, same with the tires!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #9148
Tech Regular
 
C-Trickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 320
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Tony, I really like this idea. I thoroughly enjoy watching 1:1 spec classes. All about set up and consistent driving! Takes out the guess of what engine/pipe, what tires, what everything! I'm thinking that I'll have to pony up once the Spec Engine set is available and build a Spec car for when I travel to races! 3 different class of GT8, I can roll with that! May end up being awesome, may end up not working out at all. Either way, I'm in to see where it goes!
C-Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #9149
Tech Master
 
DRRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,505
Trader Rating: 57 (98%+)
Default

I also want to try this kind of racing
Stock cars with 30 min mains nice
Got my dm1 with grenade towers and will get motor and tires and lets see how it goes

Can I convert my cobra to long chassis, just asking before I chop it up lol jk

Oh yeah happy birthday tony
Saw it in rcfiles

Keep up the good work
__________________
Team Wife
Mugen Seiki Racing
Mugenracing.com
DRRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #9150
Tech Regular
 
Jazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 425
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default From the Other Side

Hi Guy's

Firstly I'm not getting any kick backs, don't even know Tony, Marcus or any of you as I'm on the other side of the world.

But all I can say after reading the many pages of this thread is.........
I WISH we had someone prepared to put in so many hours of work (Tony)
into promoting, expanding, developing, nurturing GT racing in Australia.

A lot of you attacked the one person that is trying to make this class of racing so much better for everyone, all of you. Some have started to realise that was all Tony is trying to achieve.

Some of the things proposed may not quite work out & may need tweaking, fine tuning. But doesn't all forms of rules & procedures.

Give it a go, what doesn't work out.....fix it, change it, add or subtract what's needed to get it to work.

Come on give the guy some help, ideas but not negativity & attacks.
And Tony.......if they won't help you there in the US, ya more than welcome to come & live in the land down under.

Cheers Daz
__________________
Capricorn Lab Co3....Black Edition Co2
Kickass Racing OS Racing Engines RB TXR Engines
Capricorn Racing Tyres....Highest Servo's....VP Racing Fuels
Supporter of Capricorn Australia....Walters Hobbies....JPM Racing
Jazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GT class--buggy-based on road! duneland Nitro Off-Road 5 03-20-2012 11:03 AM
JRX-S based 4wd buggy?? Why was the idea scrapped? cpatel529 Electric Off-Road 33 12-08-2007 06:19 AM
WTB: .21 NovaRossi based on-road engine parts Speed_Racer R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 12-26-2006 11:40 AM
WTB: .21 NovaRossi based on-road engine parts Speed_Racer R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 13 09-30-2006 10:31 AM
WTB: .21 NovaRossi based on-road engine parts Speed_Racer R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 8 03-21-2006 01:05 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:57 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net