R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #8986
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleTy View Post
That video is awesome! The cars looked pretty hooked up and everyone was screaming around the track. Kudos to the Heli guy with the Quad, well done some of the best work I've seen for racing!

I'm buzzin! Wheres my bottle of nitro
Yeah excellent!!!
Old 09-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #8987
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpn View Post
The GTs are far from being the fastest car on a given track but the feel and set up reactions are very realistic. I love it...

In our local track, ever since we got GTs the other classes have died a very quick death...

We now have 2 classes SPEC & OPEN

For spec it is the motor, body and tires that are controlled
For open, only the tire brand is controlled...the rest are open....aside from the general rule of weight, wheelbase, etc....
Where did you say you race? That sounds good....

BM
Old 09-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #8988
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Actually .... I read your post incorrectly. Sorry. One of the down sides of trying to post with a phone ...... sometimes you don't read the posts right.
I think your mostly right in what you say .... I say mostly because of this. If a driver wins a race .... is not the driver AND the car the fastest on the day? The fastest car of the day is always the winning car ....
What will really make you think is ...... if you the winner swopped cars with the last placed drivers car and races against him again and wins with this car ....
Who h is the slower car?

BM
Not sure what you were trying to say but just being fast will not win you the race, I have seen the "fastest" car not make the podium many times. Pit stops lapped traffic flame outs lack of locktite etc.. are just a few reasons that the "fastest" car does not always win. (personal favorite is watching a wheel pass everyone on the straight)

If you are strong on maintenance, use quality products keep sharp driving skills with good fortune & that day you have put yourself in a position & winning is very obtainable.

See you at the track one day
ABSOLUTE HOBBYZ / Engines Modded by The Nitro Shop
*1speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #8989
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleTy View Post
With Tires here is how I see it. There are certain events in which a sponsor gives a great deal of support thus allowing the event to go forward. If that company is a tire company and they are the major contributor than I feel they have every right to spec their tire. Specing their tire creates exposure to the racers and will build a stronger customer base. So basically all the money and time they put in is for them to gain exposure to new customers and promote new products.

I don't mind using a spec tire but make sure you use the latest and greatest from them. That way we all get to use the new products and again the company gets the exposure.
Certainly see your point and I guess agree for a particular race, or particular track but not a spec tire from ROAR in OPEN across the board. Why?
Let the manufacturers compete and push one another and the racers will benefit is how I am looking for now.

If I want to attend a particular venue, I will abide by their rules of course.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #8990
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgboyz View Post
Certainly see your point and I guess agree for a particular race, or particular track but not a spec tire from ROAR in OPEN across the board. Why?
Let the manufacturers compete and push one another and the racers will benefit is how I am looking for now.

If I want to attend a particular venue, I will abide by their rules of course.
Oh I agree 100% I wasn't considering a ROAR ruling. ROAR should do some kind of dimensions min and max for wheels but only one current manufacturer would be in question there. Open should be open with a minimum weight and the standard .21-.28. I think there is some work being done on this down south, we shall see soon
TerribleTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #8991
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I think its pretty obvious ROAR is going to do nothing, and that is fine with me and most others.
The new rules that are coming together will for the most part leave the open and pro class with very few limitations, weight,.21/.28 and 150cc tanks etc etc there may be some wing height spec but nothing major. Its the SPEC class that will be highly restricted. It makes no sense to have the SPEC class anywhere near as quick as the open cars so with slower spec tires, a spec engine and some other details they should be around 1.5-2sec slower per lap.
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:50 AM   #8992
Tech Adept

I finally tried the Alphas up blue Diamond and they are the truth
tbo713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #8993
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbo713 View Post
I finally tried the Alphas up blue Diamond and they are the truth
Yup, they rule down here in the south!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #8994
Tech Elite

Hey All ....

A quick question.
Do the 1/8th scale on-road set up systems work on our GT cars?

Was thinking of getting one but wasn't sure if I would have to get one designed strictly for a Buggy or On-Road car?

Thanks for any info'

BM
Old 09-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #8995
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (98%+)

1/8 setup station will not work
you have to get a 1/8 offroad setup station and will be ok for GT (which is basically a converted 1/8 buggy)

hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Hey All ....

A quick question.
Do the 1/8th scale on-road set up systems work on our GT cars?

Was thinking of getting one but wasn't sure if I would have to get one designed strictly for a Buggy or On-Road car?

Thanks for any info'

BM
DRRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #8996
Tech Elite

ok. Thanks.

BM
Old 09-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #8997
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
I think its pretty obvious ROAR is going to do nothing, and that is fine with me and most others.
The new rules that are coming together will for the most part leave the open and pro class with very few limitations, weight,.21/.28 and 150cc tanks etc etc there may be some wing height spec but nothing major. Its the SPEC class that will be highly restricted. It makes no sense to have the SPEC class anywhere near as quick as the open cars so with slower spec tires, a spec engine and some other details they should be around 1.5-2sec slower per lap.
Seems to me that if you're assembing rules for a spec class, I would focus on three things. Cost, availablity, and enforcement...not lap times.
MRX4-X F180 Cobra Zipper Kart Yokomo BD Cup Racer FM1e Recoil M18 Pro Scalpel dNaNo Baja 5T HB D8 Vorza ERevo Savage Flux SCX10 GT2 T4 Slash Ten SCTE Blitz ESE HB Cyclone D4 Mini ERevo Vendetta ST Mini T Micro T
TC_Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #8998
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Tuner View Post
Seems to me that if you're assembing rules for a spec class, I would focus on three things. Cost, availablity, and enforcement...not lap times.
I think its pretty obvious that is all being covered, you missed my point! You cant give an in experienced driver a mega HP GT car, they will destroy it. Think of it like stock 17.5 TC, they are quick but not anywhere close to a mod TC. The SPEC cars need to be slower than open and pro or else what is the point?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #8999
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Honestly, I do not know of any examples of people complaining a spec class being too fast. A GT car with a hot motor is still like a school bus with a big block. They are not like a twitchy 10th scale TC.

To me and from what I understand, the bulk of what I read and hear, the motivation and reason to create a Spec class would be to create a level and even playing field. Limiting what equipment is allowed, limits the variables...which also limits spending.

Open or unlimited classes have a super high barrier for entry, and reduce the number of people that will either join the fun, or continue to participate in a class they once enjoyed.

Having limited equipment will in turn likely reduce speed and lap times...so you end up at the same place...just get there a different way.

I firmly believe that knowing all competitors are on a similar playing field encourages participation. To me, that would be the point.
MRX4-X F180 Cobra Zipper Kart Yokomo BD Cup Racer FM1e Recoil M18 Pro Scalpel dNaNo Baja 5T HB D8 Vorza ERevo Savage Flux SCX10 GT2 T4 Slash Ten SCTE Blitz ESE HB Cyclone D4 Mini ERevo Vendetta ST Mini T Micro T
TC_Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #9000
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The GT8 class has evolved to be a great class that is here to stay. Sadly there are many people that have “labeled” the GT8 class to be an “ENTRY” level class and that statement is far from the truth and that label really hurts the class.

IMO many new GT8 racers have been lied to or have lied to themselves thinking that this class should be inexpensive or entry level and now think that making a spec class this will solve their expense issues that are causing them not to have fun.

I have no problem with adding a spec class to GT8 but would like to point out a few things.

Realistically this class is as expensive as most any other class. Example--Cost of a new kit /engine / servos / radio / body / tires / etc..

By what I have observed 50% or so of the GT8 crowd that comes to the track is not really interested in doing a lot of maintenance. Basically they want to have fun racing but they do not want to put the work in or parts that it takes to put them in a position to do well, imo that’s why the attrition rate is at times high.

These were just some thoughts on GT8 I wanted to share, I am not trying to step on any ones toes just an observation to share. I enjoy this class more than any other that’s why I run this class and no other.

See ya at the races
ABSOLUTE HOBBYZ / Engines Modded by The Nitro Shop
*1speedy is offline   Reply With Quote