GT class--buggy-based on road!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=Jspeed;12537593]Actually, your story proves my point.

If a talented racer was able to hold the lead to win on only three tires, with five minutes left in a main and nobody could catch him; he must have had a much faster car than everyone in the field.

Was it because the guy was “Superman” or did he have a fast car that allowed him to have already lapped the field a bazillion times before dropping a tire?

Were the rest of the drivers in the main of equal caliber or was it like a “dead-ringer” situation?

If two guys are running the same cars and both racers are of equal driving talent, the one with more horsepower will always have the upper hand.

Think of it this way, if you ever see an average Joe in a Hyundai Accent beat a pro racer in a Ferrari 458 on the race track, it’s because the guy in the Hyundai is God’s new gift to the auto racing world or because the Ferrari just broke or scored a DNF. [/QUOTE

The guy I was talking about actually had a well renowned slower car when in good shape ... had all four wheels. He had a S humacher R12 back then .... a mediocre car at best.
But being the talented driver he was .... was winning and won the National series in the slower car.
My story and previous post of him with only three wheels illustrates that he, in a slower car, lapping slower then the rest of the field was able go stay ahead of that illustrious field and win. In. comparrison to my meager talents he was ..... in a slower car ..... your point .... faster then me in a renowned faster car!

BM

Last edited by British Menace; 09-11-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (98%+)

It's called competition
If you want to race with same motors there is a spec class and if no restrictions an open class
This is what tony lunatic is trying to promote in his races
But just having a spec class is very restrictive to racers and it will not make the gt class grow
Old 09-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DRRC
It's called competition
If you want to race with same motors there is a spec class and if no restrictions an open class
This is what tony lunatic is trying to promote in his races
But just having a spec class is very restrictive to racers and it will not make the gt class grow
Amen .... totally agree with that.
An open class .... race with what equipment you like.
A "Spec" class. More restrictive rules.

I do think you still have to have some rules and regs even in the "Open". though.
Or do you think its ok to run a belt driven full race prep' on road 1/8th scale car with a GT body on and foam tires?

BM
Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

It has to be a gt class shaft driven car, no belt drive and no foams
The gt class with rubber tires feels like a real car cornering with physics of a real car not like the foam tires of 1/8 and 1/10
Tony is trying to promote the GT class and he has good ideas
I hope he can post some of his ideas here

Originally Posted by British Menace
Amen .... totally agree with that.
An open class .... race with what equipment you like.
A "Spec" class. More restrictive rules.

I do think you still have to have some rules and regs even in the "Open". though.
Or do you think its ok to run a belt driven full race prep' on road 1/8th scale car with a GT body on and foam tires?

BM
Old 09-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Let's end the damn engine debate on here guys. It is doing nothing to grow this class or the hobby as a whole!! We live in a free society and each track owner/director has the right to make his or her own rules for the betterment of their track...regardless of what ROAR says. I am in favor of having both/multiple classes even at large races if there is enough participation to support it.

Btw, I am fortunate enough to be able to purchase any rc engine on this earth and will buy(and have) them if I am going to a track/race that allows them. I will also abide by rules the directors have in place at the other tracks I attend just for the opportunity to race these cars. Currently, I drive 5hrs one way, once a month to race the Heart of America Series and I've attended the Byron's the last two years.

Furthermore, if I were to introduce a beginner to this class, I would not tell them to buy a "mod" engine just so they could go "fast". After all, we all know that speed runs are done with electricity!! But I would advise them to buy quality, and teach them to set up their car, and learn to drive... "faster".
(these GTs are probably the simplest to set up... and are very appealing to beginners!)

I plan to continue to play with these toy cars for years to come, whatever the "engine rule of the day" happens to be....Snail Derby or F1, I'm in it for the fun!
If we're not growing, we're dying!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by burgboyz
Let's end the damn engine debate on here guys. It is doing nothing to grow this class or the hobby as a whole!! We live in a free society and each track owner/director has the right to make his or her own rules for the betterment of their track...regardless of what ROAR says. I am in favor of having both/multiple classes even at large races if there is enough participation to support it.

Btw, I am fortunate enough to be able to purchase any rc engine on this earth and will buy(and have) them if I am going to a track/race that allows them. I will also abide by rules the directors have in place at the other tracks I attend just for the opportunity to race these cars. Currently, I drive 5hrs one way, once a month to race the Heart of America Series and I've attended the Byron's the last two years.

Furthermore, if I were to introduce a beginner to this class, I would not tell them to buy a "mod" engine just so they could go "fast". After all, we all know that speed runs are done with electricity!! But I would advise them to buy quality, and teach them to set up their car, and learn to drive... "faster".
(these GTs are probably the simplest to set up... and are very appealing to beginners!)

I plan to continue to play with these toy cars for years to come, whatever the "engine rule of the day" happens to be....Snail Derby or F1, I'm in it for the fun!
If we're not growing, we're dying!!!
+1
GT engine talks have basically turned into religion and politics! no way your going to convince someone to change their views on this subject. If you dont like the rules at the event just dont go its as simple as that, there are plenty of races spread out so you can pretty much race a national event every month! With that being said there is a new series on the horizon that should make everyone happy, announcement coming soon
Old 09-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
+1
If you dont like the rules at the event just dont go its as simple as that:

Judging by the low attendance levels of GT racers at most North American events this year alone pretty much proves that theory 100% correct.

Good to see you, Tony and the “no rules, run what ya brung guys” are starting to think about rule structure a little more for next season.

What would really be cool for us to see are those rules “the board” submitted to Roar, but failed to released to the rest of the International GT racing community learn from.

Has anyone tried truggy diffs for short track GT racing yet?
Old 09-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Judging by the low attendance levels of GT racers at most North American events this year alone pretty much proves that theory 100% correct.

Good to see you, Tony and the “no rules, run what ya brung guys” are starting to think about rule structure a little more for next season.

What would really be cool for us to see are those rules “the board” submitted to Roar, but failed to released to the rest of the International GT racing community learn from.

Has anyone tried truggy diffs for short track GT racing yet?
Careful there....Largest turnout ever at the Byron's race this year and some of the "keyboard racers" weren't even there as in past years. ...I know not everyone of us can make it to every race as this is an expensive hobby...Another reason we all need to concentrate on ways to grow this class. Period!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by burgboyz
Careful there....Largest turnout ever at the Byron's race this year and some of the "keyboard racers" weren't even there as in past years. ...I know not everyone of us can make it to every race as this is an expensive hobby...Another reason we all need to concentrate on ways to grow this class. Period!
Nothing to be careful about dude, I said most North American races.

The Byrons race is a very respected race and Leisure Hours crew in Joliet has been running GT races longer than anyone in America.

As a matter of fact Bernie aka “Bubba Cola” of Leisure Hours invented the class. Sorry for the history lesson.

What was the racer GT turn out at the other “big” races this year in North America?

Post some numbers, maybe more than just a podium shot, lets see those GT group pictures and stats from the races.

If we’re supposed to be all working together lets see those facts people.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

+1
GT engine talks have basically turned into religion and politics! no way your going to convince someone to change their views on this subject. If you dont like the rules at the event just dont go its as simple as that, there are plenty of races spread out so you can pretty much race a national event every month! With that being said there is a new series on the horizon that should make everyone happy, announcement coming soon
Now that I read these posts I understand what you mean
People will not let the class grow naturally they want artificial insemination of their views

I am waiting for that announcement guys
When will it be and where?
As I have said before, the ideas you guys have sounds good and will make the class grow
Let us know
Old 09-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

J the attendance really doesnt matter as the quality of the racers that do show up is much better than before AND there are more races thorough out the year than there was back in the earlier years.Most will find that its getting harder and harder to make the A main at any of the races this year. An event with 100 good drivers/3 really good drivers is not the same as an event that has 40 with more than half of them being upper tier sponsored racers, either way I am only fighting to get into the A so be it 10 or 150 makes no difference to me in my opinion.

Not sure what you mean about truggy difs, the TeamC uses the same difs for all 1/8th scale vehicles

As far as the new classes coming soon (yes Plural!!) when it gets announced I have a feeling your still not going to like it but nobody can make everybody happy all of the time!

I will let this small tidbit out though......Anyone that is serious about GT racing needs to make sure and put homestead on your travel list, there will be ALOT going on there and you dont want to miss out!! lot of confirmations have been made, lots of manufactures are involved already its just a matter of the legalities getting sorted out.......
Old 09-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

J

As far as the new classes coming soon (yes Plural!!) when it gets announced I have a feeling your still not going to like it.......

Marcus Williams
IPSUX
As far as your "new classes coming soon (yes Plural!!) when it gets announced I have a feeling your still not going to like it statement"

Why wouldn’t I like it?

I’ve been beating you “no rules, run what ya brung guys” to death about how your approach has been killing racer attendance for almost the past two years in North America.

The thought of you guys finally starting to realize the original GT multiple class formula is what attracted you and companies to the GT classes we helped build in the first place, so your realization is great news and very welcome.

Now, if you’re trying to say “you’re still not going to like it” because you’re writing exclusionary rules against the “IP” brand you so proudly hate in the “footer” of your forum posts, then that’s a different matter altogether isn’t it?

I’m proud of the GT rules I helped write with Bernie, Scott, Mike, Jlock, Jneg, Victor, Mika and yes Spooky. Many tracks/events/series around the world have used them as a base for their own rules because they were fair.

Now lets see your 1st set of GT rules.

As a matter of fact, where are those GT rules “the board” submitted to Roar almost two years ago?

Why weren’t they ever published so the International GT racing community could see them and learn from them too?

Just asking the questions that many GT racers not attending the "no rules, run what ya brung" events have been asking me in private for a while; thanks for your truthful, transparent and respectful replies to these questions.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

J the attendance really doesnt matter as the quality of the racers that do show up is much better than before
One more topic or “meme” needs some de-bunking Marcus.

In those historical GT races you’ve never attended, we seen many exceptionally fast GT racers in attendance.

We’ve had the pleasure of racing with Morganti, Desoto, Lyday, Schaedler, Ortiz and most all of the “fast“ guys you’re racing against now.

Below are pictures of three guys who could have kicked your butt all over the Homestead track in 2010, as well as now.

http://www.redrc.net/wp-content/uplo...nemaWorlds.jpg

Read about it here:

http://www.redrc.net/2010/03/joaquin...ema-gt-worlds/

So, that “meme” you keep spreading about how the quality of racers not being up to today’s standards is wrong at best and very disrespectful to all of them too. lol

Lets not forget these guys too, Marcus

Last edited by Jspeed; 09-12-2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Kill that "meme" lol
Old 09-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Numbers in every class of racing go up and down over the years. It applies to nitro and electric. The GT equipment is better than it has ever been with companies stepping up and making great products focused on our class. I concur that it is getting harder every year to stay in the "A". New talent and name drivers have added much credibility to this class. I am not opposed to seeing an entry level class develop for new racers coming in, but no racing is cheap and I have a hard time making races as far away as Miami. I believe growth starts at the local level and the focus should be there. Not to stir things , but Bernie did not invent GT racing. Kyosho put out the car and people started racing them all over as soon as they hit the shelf.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I should mention that here in Utah , we run a sportsman and open GT classes. Same car with no sponsored drivers in sportsman and you earn your way up form sportsman to open. This has worked well for us because it gives the new guy a place to start without feeling he is in over his head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.