Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
GT class--buggy-based on road! >

GT class--buggy-based on road!

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Old 08-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
That’s cool, here’re some tips for your first race in GT.

Try to run as quick & as smooth as you can in qualifiers, without tearing it up before the mains. If you’re flying out of the gate and a top runner great, go for it!

If not, don’t sweat it over the “gotta get the TQ” guys; a lot of them will dnf in a 45 minute main due to overdriving, overheating, mechanicals, mistakes, rough driving, losing rubber and crashes. Try to focus on just getting the car ready smooth for the mains. Try to save your car/tires for the final 20 minutes of the 45, where the real fun begins! Lol

Good luck!
Well said Jspeed. great positive comments.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

There all positive comments Andy, just depends on whether or not you want to hear them and want others to hear them too.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Thank you all for your offer of help, advice and great tips.

Marcus ... I may just take you up on that offer.
Scott ... I will, providing I manage to get there, come see you. Even if only to say hello.
Thank you Juan ..... all help id greatly appreciated.
jspeed .... they are good tips and I will be keeping them in my head when I am there.
Andy .... thanks again on the tips concerning an engine and pipe.

Now ... back to work on the car.

Have a good evening all and thanks again.

Anthony (BM)
Old 08-08-2013, 07:45 PM
JSA
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It’s worse than that bro, it’s pretty fractured, no more room for the spec class mentality that started it all; it’s been virtually eliminated regionally, nationally and almost every trophy event there is in America.

Reports of racer attendance in decline, over buzz about soft rubber compounds that wear out way too fast. Tire changes in 30-45 minute mains………

I guess the “driving” forces of today never had a chance to experience, talk to or read about how fast the original “v-slicks” wore out in the beginning. Pretty nice grip, fast and gone after two qualifiers.

Been there, done that. What’s that old saying? Those that don’t know the past, will eventually realize they should have…. lol

Anyway, it’s already been decided today that we’re all going to belts eventually eventually. Lol

So saddle up bro, got Mika’s BMT/Sirio’s ready, let’s go! Lol
I wonder why all these "afford to pay" and "crazy for speed" racers like to stay in this GT class rather than jump over to race in 1/8th Onroad car - This class will give maximum satisfaction for speed......and good handling....... instead of upgrading a buggy base car chassis that have limitation for speed......

or may be they just don't know the existence of 1/8th Onroad i.c. Car........

just a little old infos, even in 1/8th onroad ....the world govern body - IFMAR is trying to reduce speed for this class......lower body height..no tires additives....low engine wear....a low nitro fuel from 25% TO 16%........

more infos here:

http://events.redrc.net/2011/04/futu...oad-discussed/

Last edited by JSA; 08-08-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JSA

just a little old infos, even in 1/8th onroad ....the world govern body - IFMAR is trying to reduce speed for this class......lower body height..no tires additives....low engine wear....a low nitro fuel from 25% TO 16%........

more infos here:

I think it must be because these are way too much fun to drive....

Interesting info, thanks for sharing.

One "new "rule"" I have been wondering about the GT class is when are we going to start running INS boxes? I know where I race, before GT died, there was a slight mention about it because of the noise levels.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mcsquish
I think it must be because these are way too much fun to drive....

Interesting info, thanks for sharing.

One "new "rule"" I have been wondering about the GT class is when are we going to start running INS boxes? I know where I race, before GT died, there was a slight mention about it because of the noise levels.
In know at a few races last year that had GT as a racing class, INS boxes were mandatory. The only thing I can tell you is to watch your engine temps. The INS box may block some of the airflow across the cooling fins because of the way the engine is mounted (inline with the chassis length). There are certain pipes that are "louder" than others and maybe we should look at running multi-chambered pipes as well (just thinking outside the box).
Old 08-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
In know at a few races last year that had GT as a racing class, INS boxes were mandatory. The only thing I can tell you is to watch your engine temps. The INS box may block some of the airflow across the cooling fins because of the way the engine is mounted (inline with the chassis length). There are certain pipes that are "louder" than others and maybe we should look at running multi-chambered pipes as well (just thinking outside the box).

I agree , pipes make more of a noise difference than the INS box.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

It always seemed quite silly to mandate INS boxes for GT cars during races, as the engines are not exposed like 1/8 scale on-road bodies and the body itself is like a giant INS box anyway; unless of course one was in the INS box making & selling business, then that makes a lot more sense.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JSA
I wonder why all these "afford to pay" and "crazy for speed" racers like to stay in this GT class rather than jump over to race in 1/8th Onroad car - This class will give maximum satisfaction for speed......and good handling....... instead of upgrading a buggy base car chassis that have limitation for speed......

more infos here:

It’s just about some “Pros” making products seem better than they might really be to boost sales.

Just imagine what would happen if “Lamberto Collari” raced a new "Lego" GT car and he whipped everyone’s butt with it.

Some impressionable racers would run away from what they’ve been racing until now and rush out to buy the new super “D” duper "Lego" GT race car. It's all about marketing and sales.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

It’s just about some “Pros” making products seem better than they might really be to boost sales.

Just imagine what would happen if “Lamberto Collari” raced a new "Lego" GT car and he whipped everyone’s butt with it.

Some impressionable racers would run away from what they’ve been racing until now and rush out to buy the new super “D” duper "Lego" GT race car. It's all about marketing and sales.
This is true .... like so many industries unfortunately.
Impressionable people,fueled by the attitudes of .......
"...... if its any good then the pros would use it" and ........
" ........ go see what the pro drivers use. You can't go wrong then.

People sometimes forget that RC racing is .... relatively, 80% driver input and skill and only 20% car.
This was really highlighted to me many times but once. A national champion was a good half lap in front of his peers. They had only 4 to 5 mins to go in thire 200 mm nitro national and he made a mystake and hit a barrier hard. Broke a wheel almost clean off !
The wheel was flopping around but still he was able go keep lap times high enough to stay in front for the final few minutes winning by less then a second.
That was just pure driving ability! With faster lap times on three wheels then us mere mortals were able to get with a fully functional car!

It helps having a good car thats easy to drive but its driver ability and feel thats the biggest contributer to winning a race.

My opinion and dribble .... but I believe it true. Advertising and sales is the way of the world. Is it any surprise to find it in this sport we love?

BM
Old 08-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

The INS Box rule has been mandatory at a couple GT races and the reasons for the mandatory rule was to be more in line with current IFMAR and Roar rules in an attempt to get the class sanctioned. Also to be more "Green" and environmentally friendly and many tracks have strict city codes for noise. Btw 200mm TC have engines fully enclosed as well. I am not against the rule and support it, keeps my air filter cleaner and effects engine performance in now way. I always run one and I don't makes INS Boxes.

I am also not sponsored or supported by any tire manufacturer.

I do make and design upgrade parts "LRP" LUNATIC RACING PRODUCTS for Cobra GT and have projects in the works.
These parts speak for themselves in actual tested races by racers. I also have parts in design that drastically reduce tire wear and improve handling on current Cobras to help and improve the class.

But these are only options available and NOT needed, one has the freedom to buy and choice whatever he or she choices.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by British Menace
This is true .... like so many industries unfortunately.
Impressionable people,fueled by the attitudes of .......
"...... if its any good then the pros would use it" and ........
" ........ go see what the pro drivers use. You can't go wrong then.

People sometimes forget that RC racing is .... relatively, 80% driver input and skill and only 20% car.
This was really highlighted to me many times but once. A national champion was a good half lap in front of his peers. They had only 4 to 5 mins to go in thire 200 mm nitro national and he made a mystake and hit a barrier hard. Broke a wheel almost clean off !
The wheel was flopping around but still he was able go keep lap times high enough to stay in front for the final few minutes winning by less then a second.
That was just pure driving ability! With faster lap times on three wheels then us mere mortals were able to get with a fully functional car!

It helps having a good car thats easy to drive but its driver ability and feel thats the biggest contributer to winning a race.

My opinion and dribble .... but I believe it true. Advertising and sales is the way of the world. Is it any surprise to find it in this sport we love?

BM
I agree, money makes the world go round.

But I much rather support a brand or company that supports their customers as well. Yes many Pros could out drive us simply based off pure talent. But many of those companies also spend a ton of money on R&D to make a better product for You the end user. Also at many races you have that support from those companies and drivers to help you unlike many others.

One has to be able to see both sides of the coin, before making an honest opinion.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Anybody ever try the RB speed .21? On road motor amain has on sale for $175!!! 7 port turbo. My 35plus21 gave out so I'm in the market but on a budget!!!

Tony I still have that p5xlt it's fast too!!!! Lol
Old 08-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Here’s a statement I made right after the 1st GT World Championships event ever held back in March of 2010.

Its great to see that so many had a great time at the Ipanema Sports 2010 GT World Championships.

I can see the Vultures circling our GT classes. They're trying to "get a piece of the action" because they're hungry. They've sucked the life out of their classes and will try to do the same with ours
I made that statement because a few days after the event, I received a phone call from a “respected” R/C industry professional and he stated the following:

“You did a great job proving everybody wrong about the GT class. The class is now a viable investment for me, so step aside because we’re taking it over.”

True story there people, like it or not, he knows what he said, he and several other new vultures have done plenty of damage GT racing since the highest attended GT race in earth’s history that attracted them to the class.

Look at GT racing across America alone, pitiful attendance numbers, constant infighting, threats of violence and intimidations for using the "wrong" brands.

Just a few weeks ago it was reported, a prominent North East GT racer had his body destroyed in the pit area when he wasn’t looking because he was running a little too well at that race and it was the “wrong” brand.

Last week there was an interesting & funny conversation over on the “Racing” section of rctech in the NYRCC thread starting on page 131. No doubt there’s some interesting reading over there and a possible insight of things to come, check it out, seems like some crows have come to roost over there.

Those that are the real problems in GT racing are sucking the life out of the class many of us worked hard to build.

I originally predicted the GT class would be become an on-road racing sensation in 2007 and I also predicted the 2010 GTWC would be the greatest GT race on earth; history has proven my predictions 100% correct on both counts.

Now I’ll make another “controversial” prediction...... The GT class has been poisoned.

If GT track racing doesn’t return to its sensible roots, with rules structure for two classes that allow all to play; GT track racing will continue to wither away until its only just the same small handful of sponsored & factory/distributor direct buyers racing in it and the class will eventually die

……… let’s see if my predictions of GT racing's future go perfect three for three, for the trifecta.

Last edited by Jspeed; 08-11-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling, lol
Old 08-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 1966ss
Anybody ever try the RB speed .21? On road motor amain has on sale for $175!!!
That's pretty inexpensive for an on-road engine, at that price it might be a great deal for no-rules GT racing. You could sent it to Murman for a work-over and fly on the cheap!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.