R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #8821
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

[QUOTE=JLock;12410522]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Tuner View Post

I have to disagree with this statement. When we started in Mississippi in 2008, we used only the box GXR engine and the class was fine, adding a racer or two each race that was held. When Bvoltz made the change to the engine list that he and I but together, the class actually grew bigger with GT surpassing the stock electric and 200mm nitro TC classes as far as participation. At the same time, MSRA in Memphis did not follow Bvoltz lead on the engine (keeping the GXR rule) and that was their biggest class in their racing program. Everyone here keeps talking about "modding" engines, but in the spec class we had, the rules was no modding of engines and if caught, you were banned from racing GT for one year. It was about engine tuning, car setup, and driving ability. Some of the best racing I participated in was spec racing at the Bass Pro Race program in Mississippi, MSRA in Memphis, TN, Ipanema's World Championship race at Homestead in 2010, Ipanema's US GT Nationals at Joliet in 2010, and when I helped to launch the GT class with the SWCS back in 2009. The guys in Mexico City spec'ed the OS 21vg as their only engine for the class and were many of the best GT spec racers to run against in 2010 and 2011 with David Ortiz and Victor Babani being the best of that group that came to the US to race.
The class is not the same as it was in 2008 or even 2012. have you raced GT this year at all(please take no offense to that)? the reason i say this is because if you were to just read the forums and not actually attend the races i can see how you would feel that way but in reality the internet is only a small percentage of what is really going on. The top dawgs are now running onroad engines with offroad heads, set ups have evolved as well as tires and chassis. Things change man its as simple as that! I have attended pretty much all but one major event this year. Andy has been to just about all of them too.Hard to argue with experience and facts!When you were racing the competition level was not nearly as fast as it is now. Kinda like Football, its the same game but GEEEESH the athletes now are just incredible!! What the class was supposed to be and what the class is now are not the same, you cant go backwards. it is what it is. There will never be a national level GT class with spec engines Why? It would make no difference and the attendence would suffer. Club race? go for it makes perfect sense. national level aint gonna happen, Pandora's box has already been opened!!

To add to this and i mean this with all due respect but I for one dont care about what happened yesterday or 5 years ago in RC! When i go to a race I RACE, the tone goes off and i go as fast as i can for as long as i can. If the guy in front of me won the world championship 3 years ago or last year I am going to try and pass him just like anyone else. All of this respect for the past nonsense is irrelevent to what is happening now! This is not politics it RC RACING. Yes I applaud you and the rest of the fore fathers for what you did but thats as far as it goes. It doesnt change what is going to happen tomorrow or at the next race, history is just that .....HISTORY!!

TAKE NO OFFENSE PLEASE, INTERNET IS 2D!! ( need to make that my new sig!!)

Last edited by MantisWorx; 08-03-2013 at 08:51 AM.
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #8822
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post

A spec class in GT car be viable if the guys that want to run "all out" would just stay in the open class and not speak against the spec class. The "open" guys don't have any intentions of running spec and should respect that fact and the fact that there are some out their that don't want to spend top dollar to run GT, but like the cars because of their size and durability.
Very good point Juan. In terms of class EVOLUTION, I do see the class as a whole is evolving in the right direction on some parts of the country. For example, in Utah they now have both SPEC and OPEN for this awesome 1/8 GT class.

As long we can focus on the 3 points that I mentioned above and not get side tracked by other BSs then 1/8 GT class as a whole should and will grow positively with SPEC and OPEN.

Thus EVERYONE........I MEAN EVERYONE will come out as a WINNER!!!
bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #8823
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The only thing I will say is that without what was done in the past, there would be no present. Just like all the other classes, it took someone or some people to pioneer what we are doing today. When Mike Reedy passed away, many paid tribute to what he pioneered because without him, there probably would not be much in the way of organized r/c racing today.

Just because I have not raced GT much the last couple of years should not mean anything. I am still a GT participant whether I raced all races this year or just one and to try to keep discounting what was put into place before, that is now allowing you to participate in a class that no one in ROAR, IFMAR, EFRA, or any other r/c organization has thought to add to their racing roster is being disrespectful. Believe this or not, if it wasn't for people like Mika in Sweden, Victor in Mexico City, Bernie in Joliet/Chicago, Bvoltz in Mississippi, Jneg in Puerto Rico, and RC Pro and Jspeed in Florida, GT would not be a racing class today. Why? It is because many in the industry thought that the cars were toys and/or junk and laughed at the thought of these cars racing in an organized fashion. Those guys decided to start organizing the class in their areas and not wait on the major r/c organizations to do it.

With all that said, guys like you, Andy, et al can continue to run in the open class because that is what you want to do. However, I still feel that there should be a spec-type class for those that don't want to run in the open class, giving some that want to participate an alternative that won't break their bank but still allow them to participate in GT racing.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #8824
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
The only thing I will say is that without what was done in the past, there would be no present. Just like all the other classes, it took someone or some people to pioneer what we are doing today. When Mike Reedy passed away, many paid tribute to what he pioneered because without him, there probably would not be much in the way of organized r/c racing today.

Just because I have not raced GT much the last couple of years should not mean anything. I am still a GT participant whether I raced all races this year or just one and to try to keep discounting what was put into place before, that is now allowing you to participate in a class that no one in ROAR, IFMAR, EFRA, or any other r/c organization has thought to add to their racing roster is being disrespectful. Believe this or not, if it wasn't for people like Mika in Sweden, Victor in Mexico City, Bernie in Joliet/Chicago, Bvoltz in Mississippi, Jneg in Puerto Rico, and RC Pro and Jspeed in Florida, GT would not be a racing class today. Why? It is because many in the industry thought that the cars were toys and/or junk and laughed at the thought of these cars racing in an organized fashion. Those guys decided to start organizing the class in their areas and not wait on the major r/c organizations to do it.

With all that said, guys like you, Andy, et al can continue to run in the open class because that is what you want to do. However, I still feel that there should be a spec-type class for those that don't want to run in the open class, giving some that want to participate an alternative that won't break their bank but still allow them to participate in GT racing.

No argument there, i just dont think that every conversation needs to be a history lesson,we get it. Lets concentrate on the future not the past. With that being said i agree that two classes make sense but its unlikely that you will have a national type spec class, its never worked in nitro before and since there is no sanctioning body to at least put out some rules ( although I think that what we have now is great, let the class evolve) its unlikely that it will ever happen . So here is a scenario that might make some sense! lets say that there is a national event coming up in houston, nobody in houston is going to run a spec class so as a RD the decision should be made that we dont need a spec class for this event. So next month there is an event in FL and they already have a good following of guys that will run spec engine then by all means do it no harm done.

keep in mind that you have to police whatever spec rules you lay down. 1-3rd place needs to have the engines taken apart and inspected no matter what. you have to figure out how to mark the tires in a way that cant be duplicated since none of the tires we have now are marked different. People will cheat it the nature of racing , what you can t do is go by the "honor " system at a race track, that doesnt work at any type of racing. So Juan ask yourself how much time/manpower is it going to take out of a race weekend to get someone to handle these jobs? Its easy to stand on the side lines and make rules but enforcing them reliably is another story.

There has only been inspection at one race this entire year and that was homestead. No class has been checked for anything otherwise in any class at any other event!! At least not that i have seen or heard about and at all of these events we had nothing but FUN FUN FUN! There were no cars that were clearly cheating or had some sort of advantage. Why ruin it? it goes back to what i said earlier,we still have to drive the cars via remote!!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #8825
Tech Elite

I have no problems with policing a spec class if necessary. I did it when we kicked of the spec class with the SWCS back in 2009 so I won't have a problem stepping up to the plate again. And, if it means that I don't race as much because of it, so be it. I would rather see a bunch of guys race in a close, competitive, IROC-style way, having fun and hopefully adding more participants than to race it full time myself but still be involved with it.

As far as a spec class, I already know what will be requested from the participants (as far as rules are concerned), so it is not as "detailed" as far as what you put in your second paragraph. I am very familiar with the engines I have targeted for a spec class so checking for "cheating" won't be much of an issue. It is not as hard as some would have it.

Again, for those that are running in the open class, continue to do so. However, if there are some that want to run in a second, more controlled setting, don't be an obstacle to those racers. No one that is wanting a spec class is saying that there should not be an open class, so why are the open guys not wanting to have a spec class? The class won't affect open because there are guys that want to go "balls out" and spend to their heart's content. But, if someone doesn't want to go that route, why not have an avenue for them to still participate in GT that may fit how they can participate?

Last edited by JLock; 08-05-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #8826
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman2 View Post
Here is my short tenure of my A-Main accomplishments so far in the nitro onroad 1/8 GT class:

2013 Finished 3rd place at Byrons Onroad Challenge in Joliet, IL
(Engine used: Novarossi Basic Sport , ~$250. 3 sets of tires used total for practice, qualifiers and the main)

2013 Finished 4th place at Midwest Series Race 2 in Portage, IN
(Engine used: Novarossi stock 35 Plus .21, ~$350. 2 sets of tires used total for both qualifiers and the main, used old tires during practice).

2013 TQed and finished 1st place at Midwest Series Race 1 in Toledo, OH
(Engine used: Novarossi Basic Sport, ~$250. 2 sets of tires used total for both qualifiers and the main, used old tires during practice).

2013 Finished 3rd place at Novarossi Challenge in Porter, TX
(Engine used: Novarossi Basic Sport, ~$250. 2 sets of tires used total for both qualifiers and the main, used old tires during practice).

2013 Top Ten finisher (DNF) at 1/8 GT International Pan American Grand Prix in Homestead, FL
(Engine used: Novarossi Basic Sport, ~$250. 3 sets of tires used total for qualifiers/practice, and the main).

2012 TQed and finished 1st place at ROAR Region 9 Onroad Championship in Porter, TX

2012 Finished 2nd place in A-Main Expert class at GT8 Championship (Flyod Bennett Field, NY)
(Engine used: Novarossi stock 35 Plus .21, ~$350. 2 sets of tires used total for both qualifiers and the main, used old tires during practice).

2012 TQed and finished 1st place at SWCS Race #4 in Porter, TX

2012 Finished 2nd place at 35th Texas Biggie in Rendon, TX

2012 TQed and finished 1st place at SWCS Race #3 in Porter, TX

2012 Qualified 4th and finished 5th place at RCPRO Onroad National Championship in Porter, TX

2012 TQed and finished 1st place at SWCS Race #2 in Rendon, TX

2012 TQed and finished 1st place at SWCS Race #1 in Porter, TX

2011 1st Place winner overall for the Texas Nitro Winter Series(TNWS)

2011 TQ'ed and finished 2nd place at ROAR Region 9 Onroad Championship

2011 2nd Place winner overall for the SouthWest Championship Series(SWCS)

2011 TQed and finished 1st place at Gulf Coast Grand Prix in Porter, TX

2011 TQ'ed and finished 1st place at XRAY Challenge (final leg of SWCS race in Porter, TX)

2011 TQ'ed and DNF at Texas Biggie in Fort Worth, TX
(Engine used: Novarossi stock 35 Plus .21, ~$350. 2 sets of tires used total for both qualifiers and the main)

2011 TQ'ed and finished 1st place at SWCS Race #2 in Porter, TX
(Engine used: Novarossi stock 35 Plus .21, ~$350. 2 sets of tires used total for both qualifiers and the main)

2011 1st Place winner at SWCS Race #1 in Rendon, TX

2010 1st Place winner of Paris Memorial race in Las Vegas, NV
(Engine used: LRP Spec 3 .28 , less than $200. 2 sets of tires used total for both qualifiers and the main)

2010 1st Place winner of Utah GT State Championship (Open class)
(Engine used: LRP Spec 3 .28 , less than $200. 2 sets of tires used total for both qualifiers and the main)

2010 1st Place winner of Utah GT State Championship (Spec class)
(Engine used: Axial .28(green head), less than $200. 2 sets of tires used total for both qualifiers and the main)

2010 2nd Place winner of Rocky Mountain Challenge in Denver, CO
(Engine used: Axial .28(green head), less than $200. 2 sets of tires used total for both qualifiers and the main)

2009 2nd Place winner of Summer Sizzler in Salt Lake City, Utah

Also:

During 2009 and 2010 Ive replaced 5 engines(still learning the art of engine tuning at that time since I just started RC car racing in the summer of 2009).

During 2011 I used 2 engines for the entire season (one of them was a backup).

During 2012 I used 2 engines for the entire season (one of them was a backup).

So yes, as of 2013, 1/8 GT class is definitely NOT an expensive class if you dont want it to be. If everyone just stay away from all the BS and just focus on car setup, learning how to tune the engine properly, driving a good line consistently, be courteous to one another on the track and off the track and YOU WILL SAVE MONEY and having FUN doing it.
VERY IMPRESSIVE ANDY... I am just starting out myself in GT and 1/10 touring and its a big learning curve...I see you used the Basic Nova .21 and kicked ass with it !!...thats awesome winning on a budget.... Driving ability and setup/tuning as you said is the key to the equation....BTW, were you running a Kyosho Inferno GT1 in the early days of 2009 and 2010 ? Im running both cars GT1 and GT2 so Im keeping a leash on the budget...I spent enough on the NT1 already...
Old 08-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #8827
Tech Regular

I think the best thing is to split the class into clubman and PRO so the sponsored drivers will be open/unlimited and way faster than the clubman drivers...as the skill level of the clubman gets better then he/sher will be ready for the PRO/unlimited....this will keep new blood (like myself) turning up at events and won't feel intimidated by Paolo,Jr,Andy and Marcus just to name a few.. !!! lol... it really makes no sense for having new drivers on a learning curve running with the PRO's....just my .02 cents guys....LONG LIVE GT !
Old 08-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #8828
Tech Elite

I think thats the right idea .... and I think we are all right here in our ideas.
(So good to see all wanting to encourage the class and the racing!)

One thought though ....
When you think about it. When your at a "Race", and you start your qualifiers. Its you and your car against the clock...not anyone else!

So it doesn't really matter if "Joe Bloggs" has Aunt Fannys Modded by grandpa motor in. Your against the clock.

Then when it is time to race.... you are in the final that reflects not just your ability but also the car your driving.

Don't you think Paulo... JS ... Marcus and the likes would not be in the A main if we restricted motors or not ... or if we had two seperate classes or not?

It was just a thought....

British Menace
Old 08-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #8829
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yb2fast View Post
VERY IMPRESSIVE ANDY... I am just starting out myself in GT and 1/10 touring and its a big learning curve...I see you used the Basic Nova .21 and kicked ass with it !!...thats awesome winning on a budget.... Driving ability and setup/tuning as you said is the key to the equation....BTW, were you running a Kyosho Inferno GT1 in the early days of 2009 and 2010 ? Im running both cars GT1 and GT2 so Im keeping a leash on the budget...I spent enough on the NT1 already...
I ran the Kyosho GT1 from 2009 to fall of 2012, I liked the car. However, once I joined the "snake club" I've been very impressed with their car as well.
bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #8830
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post

The class is not the same as it was in 2008 or even 2012. TAKE NO OFFENSE PLEASE, INTERNET IS 2D!! ( need to make that my new sig!!)
Of course it not the same.

That would be the exact point of this entire review of the history of the GT class, where its gone, the problem it is experiencing now & why.

Then and only then, can we work together to get it growing well again. No arguments, no name calling, no threats of violence or murder, just real facts with proof to back them up and a willingness to be honest/transparent about it all.

What attracted you to the GT class?
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #8831
Tech Adept

Quote:

The body.
GT Lemans style
Sakura xi sport USGT
aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #8832
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post

durability knowing it was gonna take some hits after a 30 layoff from rc racing

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #8833
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman2 View Post
I ran the Kyosho GT1 from 2009 to fall of 2012, I liked the car. However, once I joined the "snake club" I've been very impressed with their car as well.
Wow...thats just awesome to know you won many races with a car that has been stuck in time from 2006 ! The Serpent GT and the Team C cars are awesome and I might buy them too when the "TIME IS RIGHT"....if you love the hobby, why not just own them all...I live in South FL and have met Paulo, Jr, Maxy etc at the local tracks and at Desoto Racing in Doral Miami, and they are just a great bunch of guys !! Keep up the good work Andy...
Old 08-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #8834
Tech Elite

I was attracted to the class because of the fun of the first two guys I saw running the car at an organized race as well as how durable the cars were. Plus I was asked to anchor the class when it was kicked off for the Bass Pro races that used to be held in Jackson, MS back in the early days of GT.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #8835
Tech Regular

Quote:
I was attracted to the class because of the fun of the first two guys I saw running the car at an organized race as well as how durable the cars were. Plus I was asked to anchor the class when it was kicked off for the Bass Pro races that used to be held in Jackson, MS back in the early days of GT.
JLOCK....I really hope Kyosho makes a new GT car from their winning MP9 buggy...It really doesnt make any logic why not ???.... especially they created the 1/8th GT car as we know it today...smh...STEP UP BIG K !!