R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #8806
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Dear lord Andy, I can't remember my first born, let alone how many sets of tires I've used over the last three years. I love what the Serpent guys have brought to the table, but I don't love sponsored guys throwing insane amounts of money at this class to sell product. Not saying they wouldn't win because of their driving skills anyways. This class was designed for us little guys with little check books and no sponsors. Missed ya this year

TomAHawk Racing - On-Time Services - XRay Racing - Sweep Racing - RoseCityScaleRacing.com -
T-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #8807
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Hawk View Post
Dear lord Andy, I can't remember my first born, let alone how many sets of tires I've used over the last three years. I love what the Serpent guys have brought to the table, but I don't love sponsored guys throwing insane amounts of money at this class to sell product. Not saying they wouldn't win because of their driving skills anyways. This class was designed for us little guys with little check books and no sponsors. Missed ya this year
Yes, I keep track of all my 1/8 GT expense for the entire year or I should say my Chief Financial Officer (my wife) forces me to keep track of my playing budget every year (how much I spend on engines, parts, tires, etc.,).

Same here Ryan, I missed all you guys up there this year at the Timezone!!! I enjoyed the videos of all the mains. Thank you for sharing with those of us that have very limited budget that can't travel to all the big races every year.
bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #8808
Tech Elite

Wow .... way to go Andy. Great job sir. You have had a great year and are a good ambassador for the class.

BM
Old 08-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #8809
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Wow .... way to go Andy. Great job sir. You have had a great year and are a good ambassador for the class.

BM
Thanks buddy. Man it is killing me inside right now that instead of working on my GT to get it ready for Novarossi Challenge at Blue Diamond race track this weekend I have to stay home and babysit my kids this weekend instead.................Don't get me wrong, I love my kids........However, I love racing these GT cars too.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #8810
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman2 View Post
Yes, I keep track of all my 1/8 GT expense for the entire year or I should say my Chief Financial Officer (my wife) forces me to keep track of my playing budget every year (how much I spend on engines, parts, tires, etc.,).

Same here Ryan, I missed all you guys up there this year at the Timezone!!! I enjoyed the videos of all the mains. Thank you for sharing with those of us that have very limited budget that can't travel to all the big races every year.
DO NOT LET MY WIFE KNOW HOW MUCH THIS SPORT COSTS!!!!! She is the sexy one in the green

TomAHawk Racing - On-Time Services - XRay Racing - Sweep Racing - RoseCityScaleRacing.com -

Last edited by T-Hawk; 11-19-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #8811
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Hawk View Post
DO NOT LET MY WIFE KNOW HOW MUCH THIS SPORT COSTS!!!!! She is the sexy one in the green
WHAT!!! You got your wife pitting for you.........Man, my wife can't even tell the difference between the fuel tank and the engine....LOL
Old 08-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #8812
Tech Elite

Quote:
WHAT!!! You got your wife pitting for you.........Man, my wife can't even tell the difference between the fuel tank and the engine....LOL
Mike Strack's wife was going to help me My wife decided to step in, I was a winner either way

Old 08-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #8813
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Hi Jeff

I still owe you a phone call, I remember racing GT in the beginning, I was one the few that ran it. Then I took 2 years off, and my first race was Byrons 2013. So most don't even know who I am.

I agree the cost is getting out of hand. But it is fun going fast I think the price needs to be fixed for the motors. Maybe like $300, keep the $500 mod motors out.

My 02
Authorized Dealer for /Agama / Tekno / Team Associated / Schelle / Hobbywing / PT Racing Shock & Diff oil / Serpent / Tekin / JConcepts / AKA / Proline / Savox / M2C / Picco / www.fiercercsolutions.com Like us on facebook www.facebook.com/FierceRCSolutions
FastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #8814
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Pete: I SO agree with you; but a lot of GT racing (particularly in my part of the Midwest) is pretty laid back. As a result, you'll never see anyone called out for a MOD engine simply because (in a lot of cases) you need to do a tear down to really know....

Lincoln, NE runs a great, laid back program that suits racers of all ability levels - and they are welcomed! The rule is for $300.00 maximum engine and I believe that these are what everyone is running. And, some of the 'fast guys' have entered the GT arena which has changed things up a little bit but not a lot.

Tire expense is going up sadly and (probably as much the fault of my set up as anything) I've been using up more tire this year than ever before... The solution??? Not sure because the 'fast guys' will always be fast without regard to which engine they run. The good news is that in this case, they are very helpful and supportive to those of us who are not going as fast - at least helping us to be as good as we possibly can. This has lead to a stable and enthusiastic GT class which continues to grow.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #8815
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks buddy. Man it is killing me inside right now that instead of working on my GT to get it ready for Novarossi Challenge at Blue Diamond race track this weekend I have to stay home and babysit my kids this weekend instead.................Don't get me wrong, I love my kids........However, I love racing these GT cars too.
I understand you Andy .... Its killing me too. I just got my first GT car last week.... so dying to get her built but can't get the time.
1. Working too much
2. Lots on the "Honey-Do-List" at the moment ... Grrr
3. A wife that doesn't understand why men need hobbies and want to race?!?!

But ... I want to get a race in this year with my new GT. Nexy year I should know the class and have more idea on setting up these cars.

Your car Andy ran very well at the Byrons this year.

BM
Old 08-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #8816
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

AAAAAAAAHHHH, everything is so peacefull again!

I agree with pretty much everything but there is a flip side in that limiting engines by cost is great for club racing but most of the guys who do that dont spend 700-1000 flying to races and compete nationally! I know that at least for me if I am traveling to a race to battle with the best I dont want to be limited really by anything. I am a sponsored guy like alot of us are so yes I have access to some pretty trick stuff and I am always testing products for companies as well as I make my own. As a guy that modifies engines trust me when i say that limiting a motor by cost is not making anyone slower. I know for a fact i can take a 250.00 engine and make it run like a 500.00 engine. So if you make a rule that states no modded engines well you have to write a novel on what dictates "modify" AND you have to find a way to police it which is probably more trouble than its worth.

I think the tire technology is evolving and here is my take on what is going on. the Alpha tires earlier this year wore REALLY fast, the latest batch are not the same and wear much better I think that at a national race you could probably get away with 2 but more than likely 3 sets (practice, qualify and a new set for the mains) so thats 150.00 for anyone that is not sponsored and cheaper or free for the sponsored guy. They are a fast tire for sure. Sweep tires last much longer but are not always as fast so you end up investing in multiple shores and they are very sensitive to track temps. They are working on new compounds as we speak , I actually tested some last week and they are basically , at least in my eyes, working on a compound that wears faster but not as fast as the Alphas and i think thats i good thing! I have had inserts wear out faster than Sweep tires!! So what everyone is witnessing is a MFg tire war! eventually both companies will end up with a tire that benefits both sides of the coin and we as consumers will be the beneficiary of the final product.

So two thing s that i want to get across is that one the class has two levels, club and national regardless of what the name is. If you can afford to fly around the nation competing, 150.00 on tires is a drop in the bucket. A club race is one day 4 or 5 hours , you only need one set of tires for that and they should last you a couple race weekends for Alphas about 2months for Sweeps.I am not sponsored by either and run which ever tire makes me faster PERIOD!!

Limiting engines in anyway will not change the outcome of an event but it will limit who shows up for the event. If Paolo or JR show up at a race do you really think your going to get any closer to them with running a 300.00 spec engine? The answer is no, so you can run your 300.00 engine and just be happy about it, no one is being forced to buy a 500.00 engine.Andy ran the 250.00 basic sport rally(un modified) for most of last year and this year and as you can tell by his results it didnt slow him down. I witness him show up with a brand new one, broke it in on the bench at the track and raced it the entire weekend and i think he finished 2nd or 3rd! so there you have it!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #8817
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

[QUOTE=MantisWorx;12410402]Limiting engines in anyway will not change the outcome of an event but it will limit who shows up for the event./QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Do not confuse creation and definition of rules and enforcement. For example, in the case of an engine rule...look to what 1:1 tracks across the country do - claim rule. As an example, if the limit is $300, then anyone that finished in the A can buy the winners engine for $300 at the end of the day.

Plenty of ways to skin that cat.
MRX4-X F180 Cobra Zipper Kart Yokomo BD Cup Racer FM1e Recoil M18 Pro Scalpel dNaNo Baja 5b SS 5T HB D8 Vorza ERevo Savage Flux SCX10 GT2 T4 Slash Ten SCTE Blitz ESE HB Cyclone D4 Mini ERevo Vendetta ST Mini T Micro T
TC_Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #8818
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

[QUOTE=TC_Tuner;12410459]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
Limiting engines in anyway will not change the outcome of an event but it will limit who shows up for the event./QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Do not confuse creation and definition of rules and enforcement. For example, in the case of an engine rule...look to what 1:1 tracks across the country do - claim rule. As an example, if the limit is $300, then anyone that finished in the A can buy the winners engine for $300 at the end of the day.

Plenty of ways to skin that cat.
LOL true! IMO i think its just too much drama to even go to that level and i dont think its that serious mainly because at the end of the day WE still have to drive these cars via a radio control so a faster engine cant make up for one marshalled mistake, flip over or flame out! that is the difference between 1:1 and RC

It so nice discussing the actual subject for once
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #8819
Tech Addict

Quote:
AAAAAAAAHHHH, everything is so peacefull again!
Limiting engines in anyway will not change the outcome of an event but it will limit who shows up for the event. If Paolo or JR show up at a race do you really think your going to get any closer to them with running a 300.00 spec engine? The answer is no, so you can run your 300.00 engine and just be happy about it, no one is being forced to buy a 500.00 engine.Andy ran the 250.00 basic sport rally(un modified) for most of last year and this year and as you can tell by his results it didnt slow him down. I witness him show up with a brand new one, broke it in on the bench at the track and raced it the entire weekend and i think he finished 2nd or 3rd! so there you have it!
Well said Marcus. Just to point out that 1/8 GT class is NOT just for beginners.......The beauty of this class is for RACERS of ALL LEVELS (from beginners to experts).

Again folks. Just focus on the followings:

1) Driving the car consistently and hitting the right line as often as you can everytime you put the car on the track

2) Learn from the faster drivers on basic setup and learning how to setup the car that suit your driving style

3) Learn the art of engine tuning!!! (as long as you have a good performing and reliable engine regardless how much the engines cost)

Trust me when I tell you this. If you racers out there can master all 3 points above then you will save so much money down the road and having so much fun driving these cars (regardless if you are a hard core racer or a weekend warrior). I myself is still working on how to improve from all 3 points that I mentioned above!!!!

I hate to sound harsh but ALL the rest is just BS.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #8820
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

[QUOTE=TC_Tuner;12410459]
Quote:
Limiting engines in anyway will not change the outcome of an event but it will limit who shows up for the event./QUOTE]
I have to disagree with this statement. When we started in Mississippi in 2008, we used only the box GXR engine and the class was fine, adding a racer or two each race that was held. When Bvoltz made the change to the engine list that he and I but together, the class actually grew bigger with GT surpassing the stock electric and 200mm nitro TC classes as far as participation. At the same time, MSRA in Memphis did not follow Bvoltz lead on the engine (keeping the GXR rule) and that was their biggest class in their racing program. Everyone here keeps talking about "modding" engines, but in the spec class we had, the rules was no modding of engines and if caught, you were banned from racing GT for one year. It was about engine tuning, car setup, and driving ability. Some of the best racing I participated in was spec racing at the Bass Pro Race program in Mississippi, MSRA in Memphis, TN, Ipanema's World Championship race at Homestead in 2010, Ipanema's US GT Nationals at Joliet in 2010, and when I helped to launch the GT class with the SWCS back in 2009. The guys in Mexico City spec'ed the OS 21vg as their only engine for the class and were many of the best GT spec racers to run against in 2010 and 2011 with David Ortiz and Victor Babani being the best of that group that came to the US to race.

The main reason why I got into GT and helped Bvoltz get the class started in 2008 was what he did at the end of the 2007 season. He allowed a couple of guys with this cars to run as an exhibition class just to showcase these cars (we have never seen or really heard of them at the time). The two guys that raced were having the most fun we had ever seen running a car (smiling and laughing on the drivers' stand). We also noticed that the cars could take the punishment of a "not so good" driver. So from that standpoint, we talked from the end of October through December about putting the class and rules together for racing it in the 2008 season.

A spec class in GT car be viable if the guys that want to run "all out" would just stay in the open class and not speak against the spec class. The "open" guys don't have any intentions of running spec and should respect that fact and the fact that there are some out their that don't want to spend top dollar to run GT, but like the cars because of their size and durability.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.

Last edited by JLock; 08-03-2013 at 08:25 AM.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote