R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #8686
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Question

I've got a friend who runs GT. It's a good ride and handles very well, it's very fast....but he's not a big fan of the GT bodies. We were talking about it and wondering what it'd look like with a truck body on it, something like what Nascar has. Particuarly the Dodge body style, lots of access to the engine and so forth, and we think it'd make the GT class stand out more since 1/10 scale is running sedan style. Just wondering what other guys running GT think of this idea, I'm in talks to find someone to punch the bodies out for me, when we get some in and painted up I'll post pics and hope to get some feedback, be it positive or negative.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #8687
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcharide1 View Post
I've got a friend who runs GT. It's a good ride and handles very well, it's very fast....but he's not a big fan of the GT bodies. We were talking about it and wondering what it'd look like with a truck body on it, something like what Nascar has. Particuarly the Dodge body style, lots of access to the engine and so forth, and we think it'd make the GT class stand out more since 1/10 scale is running sedan style. Just wondering what other guys running GT think of this idea, I'm in talks to find someone to punch the bodies out for me, when we get some in and painted up I'll post pics and hope to get some feedback, be it positive or negative.
NASCAR Cup body would be great. It would make for a great class or sub-class.
desotoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #8688
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcharide1 View Post
How about something like this?

In action

This one uses a AE SC8 body that I did trim completely so it looks like it has aero body. If its a short wheelbase some short course bosies do fit.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #8689
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

The truck would look pretty different but it's like a brick aerodynamically. I'd rather see some American muscle. Like Camaro's, mustangs,and challengers. If you really want something different I'd do a GTO, or Chevelle!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #8690
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-milz View Post
The truck would look pretty different but it's like a brick aerodynamically. I'd rather see some American muscle. Like Camaro's, mustangs,and challengers. If you really want something different I'd do a GTO, or Chevelle!
It wouldn't be a brick, I can promise you that much. With the right spoiler/wing, it'd do the same as they do on a real track, but with the added advantage of engine access. I expect they will perform at least as well as a conventional GT body, but the other point is LOOKS. I like what Jneg has, that's not bad and the paint looks good...but I'm shooting for similar to what they actually run in Nascar, but adapted for our purposes. I can get better aero off a truck bed as well for down-force.....I just think it'd look better than what they're racing now.

On the flip side, I've got a 30 yr old Mustang Mach2 body for 1/8 scale that would fit a GT, it's got clean lines and looks like it was made for the thing, I may try to get some of those repopped later this year, I'll post here with pics of that as well when it's available.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #8691
Tech Adept

If performance was as good or better ok.....but I really doubt overall performance would be as good, so no.
Hobby Express - www.TheHobbyExpress.com
BIGCAT TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #8692
Tech Addict

Well I used this and almost did 13 laps with it, I did 12/5:05. So its not so bad, the last GT Worlds were held at our track and all the A main was at 13 laps. So not too much of a disadvantage. I normally use a warrior body and it is certanly better on the track. People seem to forget that the NASCAR trucks have more downforce than the cars have. This is one of my play GTs so I don't mind being a few ticks off of my normal pace. Plus it does look wicked at the track. I also use a Protoform wing on it to help at the rear. The main Idea for me doing this conversion was to let people know that they can race what ever they have and still have fun. This is a converted SC8 as in Short Course Truck. The only mods were stiffer springs and different diff fluids. Now its electric and again for the same purpose, to bring more people into our class. Now that we have some 40 or more GT nitro racers I dicided to let people see electric GT racing so now we are growing that class as well, as of now there are about 10 electric GTs.

Ohh and by the way most muscle cars are bricks aerodynamically speaking.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #8693
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

What about the JConcepts Scalpel?

Not exactly for me but it's still a truck.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #8694
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneg View Post
How about something like this?

This one uses a AE SC8 body that I did trim completely so it looks like it has aero body. If its a short wheelbase some short course bosies do fit.
Nice work, that looks sweet
H0LESH0T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #8695
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default F/S

Inferno GT2 racer for sale. Only needs your motor to win. Great condition performance and handle.

evolva transmission
JR hi voltage servo
O.S. 2060 pipe new
transponder
extra parts
alpha x soft tires
alpha body
ofna blue off road starter box
fully upgraded
lots more
$600
Attached Thumbnails
GT class--buggy-based on road!-20130514_005814.jpg   GT class--buggy-based on road!-20130514_005837.jpg   GT class--buggy-based on road!-20130514_005859.jpg   GT class--buggy-based on road!-20130514_010218.jpg   GT class--buggy-based on road!-20130514_010237.jpg  

facebook.com/Dashhobbies/shop
nitrodash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #8696
Tech Regular

Just some info to share with my fellow GT racers. OFNA's new GT V2 has 2 bodies which may be coming out in a month or so in clear lexan for the long wheelbase GT cars.
SWEEP Tires
Speyederjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #8697
Tech Master

Thanks but it's the same Team C that has been around for a while bodies included (at least information about them), isn't it
Old 05-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #8698
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

How long should one expect to get out of a set of tires?

Right now I seem to be getting about one race day before my sweep 45s are blown out (foam exposed & ripping apart). We run 3 7min qualifiers and a 7 min main.
D.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #8699
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.a.v.e View Post

Right now I seem to be getting about one race day before my sweep 45s are blown out (foam exposed & ripping apart). We run 3 7min qualifiers and a 7 min main.
Couple of questions here, are you using the new 45 compound and are you using the new inserts? I can easily get a few races days out of a set of the new EXP 40 on asphalt and so are other local drivers. Here its still relatively cool as we are getting average temps in the mid 70s for race days leaving track temps lower as well. This may be why we can run the 40s for so long. My current set of 40s has 3 local race days and alot of practice at the KOPROPO GP with life to spare. My 45s and 50s are holding up well also. If you do not have the new inserts, I prefer the soft GTLS, than you really should look into grabbing them for your next set. You could also look at a set of alphas if you aren't happy with the Sweeps.
TerribleTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #8700
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.a.v.e View Post

Are you running "EXP" or "GT" compound?

I can see if you running the "GT" natural rubber you might get that kind of wear, but still seems excessive. Especially if your track temps are hot, I am currently testing out the "GT" shores 45s and 50s.They due wear a bit faster then the "EXP", exps last me 2-3 full race days with practice.

Something seems a little off.. What kind of car,electric or nitro, camber, track temp? There are many variables to your fast wear. I understand that the electric GTs are hard on tires, but I have know actual testing on this subject. Just what I have been told.

Alphas usally last me only 1full race day and couple practice test and tune days.