Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Well guy's looks like ROAR is close to having the rules done for GT8 Racing. This was posted on the ROAR Forums from Steve Pond, President to Jim Rice, for the Winter Nationals:

Jim, I can get you the rules with the exception of the engine specifications, and the engines that are approved. That's the the last part, and the most detailed, that still needs to be completed. The dollar figure has been remotely effective, but it excludes higher quality engines that would also qualify performance-wise. We're looking to have a level playing field as far as performance, and the dollar figure isn't the proper solution. The engine rule will ultimately have set specifications, and the approved engines will be listed in the forum, with all the internals photographed in detail so anyone can log in at any time and know what the internals should look like, in the event there's any dispute. This is the part of the rules that's not finished yet, but I think I can get you the rest of the rules within this week. I'm going to be at the electric nats, so time may run short, but I'm pushing to have them ready for you.

Looks like they have something that does what we need, to keep the racing on a level field, and if the performance is equal, you can spend what you can afford / want to.

ROAR may just finally get a class right!!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Really? Spec Engines? "Approved" list of engines?

Another ROAR failure.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrakeTurnAccelerate

Another ROAR failure.

+1 YOU COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT ANY BETTER

What a shame,,,

Old 08-11-2012, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrakeTurnAccelerate

Another ROAR failure.

+2 ! ... pricing limit has been working for years ... now spec approved engines ?, come on !!

ROAR Fail

I still dont understand why ROAR has been delaying this so much ... rules are almost universal on america (Canada down to Chile), why reinvent the wheel ?
Old 08-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

roar's website sucks! where do you find the rules??????
Old 08-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 1966ss
roar's website sucks! where do you find the rules??????
Click Rules, Top of page link to 2010 rules which are current. GT8 class is not there, but should be there with the updates for 2013.

http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/..._Rule_Book.pdf
Old 08-13-2012, 08:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

I have to agree with Pato on the engine rules...

Pick a price point and let people buy what they want up to that price on or off road.

What made this class appealing to most was the reasonable cost to stay competitive. High price mills, centax clutches and the like will ruin this class. I stopped running 1/8 on-road years ago because the cost to stay competitive was on the verge of being obsurde. It would suck to see GT go down the same path because it truly is a fun class.

It's just not reasonable to believe the guy running the stock engine or a cheap mill is going to be on an even playing field with the guy running something like a Novarossi Keep-On or OS Speed.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you want to keep things simple and negate the advantage of expensive on road engines, why not just do three things? 1 - Keep the minimum weight up high enough that you need a torquier engine to move the car. 2 - Don't let the cars get too much traction - keep the rear tire width the same as the front. 3 - Make everyone run a 6.5mm (or 7.0) round carb restrictor. That will effectively limit the hp/rpm advantage the onroad engines by choking them off.

What we don't want is having to do engine teardowns and comparing pictures of engines to what the tech inspector is seeing. Even dollar limits are a slippery slope. Let everyone run what they brung and choke em down, take away the grip, and keep them at a reasonable weight.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gary NJ
If you want to keep things simple and negate the advantage of expensive on road engines, why not just do three things? 1 - Keep the minimum weight up high enough that you need a torquier engine to move the car. 2 - Don't let the cars get too much traction - keep the rear tire width the same as the front. 3 - Make everyone run a 6.5mm (or 7.0) round carb restrictor. That will effectively limit the hp/rpm advantage the onroad engines by choking them off.

What we don't want is having to do engine teardowns and comparing pictures of engines to what the tech inspector is seeing. Even dollar limits are a slippery slope. Let everyone run what they brung and choke em down, take away the grip, and keep them at a reasonable weight.
+1

3500 grams makes it tough to move a GT8 with an on road engine, you have to gear it down. Losing mileage, not so good for long mains. Boom, instant level playing field again.

With rubber tires, and standard width, these cars can only do so much for speed and power. So level playing field.

The carb restrictors I could go either way on. I think with the tire and weight rules, its pretty much fair game.

ROAR epic FAIL!
Old 08-16-2012, 07:25 AM
Tech Adept

Where we race its all about getting together & having fun. Engine we use are O.S, Werks, Nova & RB.
We are more concern about tires use. How to make them last longer.
U can have the fastest engine but if don't take care your Tire properly. There is no point.
In IMO!!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default 2nd Annual GT8 Championship 2012

Originally Posted by VexVegaz

Let the FUN begin!!!
Old 08-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bassman2
Let the FUN begin!!!
If you have a gt8 this is a race you dont want to miss
Old 08-20-2012, 05:59 AM
Tech Adept

Wow! I've never been to a big race like this one.
Um... We might go for trip next year.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Middle of the world cup 2012 - Ecuador

Well guys,

After 4 days of full racing in Ecuador and good attendance of GT Class, here is the podium :

1st : Paolo Morganti - Serpent GT / Novarossi .28 7T / Alpha RC R3 Body / Alpha RC Soft Tires
2nd : Pato Concha - Ofna DM1S / GO .25 6p / Alpha RC R3 Body / Alpha RC Medium Tires
3rd : Marcelo Echeverria - Ofna DM1S / GO .25 6p / Alpha RC R3 Body / Alpha RC Soft Tires

** Rino Lino XRAY GT Proto got 4th Place, small problems during A-Main but the car looks amazing !

Lots of serpents on the race, great to see people pumping up with new chassis in the market. 90% Alpha RC Bodies, 98% Alpha RC Tires.

Podium :

Not everybody but a good look of the environment :

Paolo Morganti and myself (Paolo's Car) :

My car before A-Main :

Partial View of Pit area and driver stand :

Some girls :

Me and my cars (got 5th place on 1/10th Nitro Sedan A-Main) :

My clutch after A-Main, amazed by performance (Thunder Innovations, already in USA) :

Me receiving my 2nd Place A-Main GT Trophy :

My GT Car during one of the qualifiers video : http://youtu.be/a967KB8zIzE

Great experience so far !!, lots of great people and great drivers ...

Last edited by Tabushi; 08-23-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Tabushi,

That facility looks fantastic!
Nice job and enjoyed the video!
Where are the results posted with lap times?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.