Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Great Race to attend all u GT racers! RCPro 2012 Nationals - APR 13, 14, 15th - Gulf Coast Raceway

Last edited by Pit-racer; 03-07-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Paolo is a great driver and great guy too ... is very open and friendly to share knowledge with anyone.

Cobra GT is quite a piece, at first i was expecting to see just a Cobra Buggy with GT body and 2 speed box, but the car have a lot of specially designed for GT class things ... suspension is amazing and suepr big bore shocks for sure will give you constant performance through the whole race, the transmision at the 2 speed box is based on 966 so its smooth and engagement point for 2nd is "always there" since the first lap. On FDR, Paolo mentioned that the diff case and internals are same as Buggy, but crown and pinion are specially designed for GT Onroad ...

OFNA DM1S still is a real contender, but considering this was the first race ever for Paolo on GT Class, and the way i saw the chassis performing at the track, with little more time for tuning will be unstopable, congrats to Serpent for this development. I hope that this Serpent development push other brands to develop more competitive GT cars, this class is great !!

cya !
Old 03-07-2012, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

I agree with the serpent car becoming the premier gt chassis. I probably go back to serpent after a long hiatus.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paolo M
Hello Guys, i'm back from Peru after a great weekend of racing.

This was my first time ever with a GT class car and i have to say that i had a lot of fun. Being used to drive other onroad classes, i was expecting a slow boring car, but actually i was very surprised by the traction, acceleration and agility of my Serpent Cobra GT.

I really had very little time to spend on setup improvement, since i was racing also another class. My car was really good and easy to drive from the get go my Novarossi Basic 21-7 Rally was rally good on power and reliability.

Regarding the race, this is the way it went for me.
The organizers had a Off Road type program, with qualys to seed semifinals but nobody going direct to the final. After the qualys i was in TQ, with 2 laps advantage over Pato, in 10 minutes qualifier.

In my semi, i start from the pole and i was able to get a comfortable lead when a tire came off. I was able to come back and finish 4th, which at the end was good enough to put my 6th in the grid of the Grand Final.

In the Final, i manage to gain positions and after a few laps battle with Pato, i was able to pass him to get the lead and start building some cushion when again a wheel came off. I lost around 7 laps in the process of fixing and come back out. At the end of the race i finish 2nd, 3 laps behind Pato. It was a shame but still a good result for the Cobra GT . Congrats to Pato for his victory.

All in all was a great experience. I really enjoy driving the Cobra GT and i am looking forward for my next event.

someone loosen your wheel nuts in the pits ? or did you really forget to tighten your wheel nuts 2 different times ? i have seen and heard of guys loosening other guys wheels in the pits......
Old 03-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

The wheel nut bandit has struck again!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jlopez
are you guys racing in the worlds?
I am planning on racing at the Ipanema GT Worlds in Barceloneta, PR in a couple of weeks. Tickets bought, cars almost ready, new engines almost broken in, and new lens for the camera ready. Six days in Puerto Rico racing, seeing some sites, and meeting new and interesting people, along with reconnecting with new friends there, priceless!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jlopez
are you guys racing in the worlds?
Team Serpent is going to attend the event. I am still not if i can personally go, but i am trying to figure out my schedule.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikaR
Paolo M, in my Inferno I use these type of wheel lock nuts in order to not to ruin my race day, the same has happened to me, too, with regular wheel nuts

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...mm-Wheel-Nut-4
Thanks for the tip. I was using serrated nuts

Originally Posted by Tabushi
As far as i know, Cobra GT car was using very nice/good serrated like wheel nuts ...

The car was very fast ... im seriously considering jump ship on this ...

regards,
Originally Posted by MikaR
Ok then, it must something else. Sounds like a fast car & driver, too!
Originally Posted by Maximo
someone loosen your wheel nuts in the pits ? or did you really forget to tighten your wheel nuts 2 different times ? i have seen and heard of guys loosening other guys wheels in the pits......
Originally Posted by Pit-racer
The wheel nut bandit has struck again!
No conspiracy here guys. Just user error. The first time that happen i change the rear wheel hub to test a different one and i forgot to thing the set screw that holds the pin.

The second time, after servicing the car for the main, again i forgot to tight the same set screw.

So it was completely my mistake both times.

I can't wait to run the car again... SO MUCH FUN!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pit-racer
Great Race to attend all u GT racers! RCPro 2012 Nationals - APR 13, 14, 15th - Gulf Coast Raceway
Mike, Jeremy and the crew always put on a great event. I will attend this one with my Cobra GT!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...l#post10435118 This might interest the Kyosho IGT/IGT2 owners
Old 03-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paolo M
Mike, Jeremy and the crew always put on a great event. I will attend this one with my Cobra GT!
The dates on the RCPRO Onroad National Championship flyer had been updated:

http://www.thirdcoastracing.com/uplo..._PRO_EVENT.pdf
Old 03-08-2012, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Well guys, this is my video of the GT Class A-Main from Copa del Pacifico.

My car is the front yellow/rear red ... and Cobra GT is the full orange one, i hope you enjoy this, 18 minutes out of 40 from the A-Main ... :

http://youtu.be/ZHdIJUphQnY

ps : - Check it in HD !

cya !
Old 03-08-2012, 04:58 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tabushi
Well guys, this is my video of the GT Class A-Main from Copa del Pacifico.

My car is the front yellow/rear red ... and Cobra GT is the full orange one, i hope you enjoy this, 18 minutes out of 40 from the A-Main ... :

http://youtu.be/ZHdIJUphQnY

ps : - Check it in HD !

cya !
all i can say is WOW , the track, car's setup and the competition between the two , now i got the word " fun to drive " .
Old 03-08-2012, 06:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Hello! I see that the top 3 racer in GT Class A-Main from Copa del Pacifico uses Alpha tires. Does somebody know how these tires perform compared to sweep and ipanema GT tires? I have Kyosho inferno GT2 and have used sweep tires in 2011. Thinking about to try the Ipanema tires this season but now i get confused.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sumpan77
Hello! I see that the top 3 racer in GT Class A-Main from Copa del Pacifico uses Alpha tires. Does somebody know how these tires perform compared to sweep and ipanema GT tires? I have Kyosho inferno GT2 and have used sweep tires in 2011. Thinking about to try the Ipanema tires this season but now i get confused.

On A-Main, 100% of the drivers used Alpha RC Tires. During practice days, we saw some drivers using other brands (will not mention to not hurt feelings) and even mixing other brands with our tires, but at least from 2nd qualify until A-Main, 100% of drivers choosed Alpha RC.

On compounds, we used "Qualifiers" for at least first qualify (special ultra soft compound ment to last only 15 minutes on a good traction surface), and then softs, ultra softs and mediums. Personally i used mediums all around on A-Main, Marcos Silva (factory owner) used mediums on front and softs on rear, Paolo on his Cobra GT i think used full soft all around. Esven (the german guy at 3rd place) used a mix of softs in front and mediums on rear.

In USA, national distributor is Max velocity Racing (www.maxvelocityracing.com) and i think IGT Hobbies have dealership for Alpha RC Tires and Bodies.

cya !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.