R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #7546
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleepp View Post
Hello gentlemen!

I have a few questions that are very important - to me anyway.

I'm trying to get up-to-date information on some of the chassis that are popular these days - to create a new race body. That PF-8 GT is getting long in the tooth - if ya know what I mean.

I had hoped that the GT2 cars (with the longer wheelbase) would eventually be popular for racing - however it seems that this is not happening.
WHY? Don't they handle as well? What's the reason that I don't see any in the photo's of winners on the podium? All I see is the shorter GT1/DM1 Spec type cars.

Do you think that there is a future for the longer wheelbase GR2 type format? I like the looks of them personally - because a racebody can be designed to look more realistic. (just my personal preference) Any thoughts to add?

I appreciate all your input. When responding, please let me know what country you are from.

THANKS! - Dale Epp - Protoform
so glad u posted on this thread 'cause we been looking for protoform to release a body for the gt2. i am from the NY city area and we race at floyd bennet field brooklyn (prepped track 150' straight) controlfreakz (site of this years nationals which i believe the straight is like 225') and blue diamond in delaware all where the gt2 is very popular this class is growing like wildfire with 2 to even 3 heats of gt cars and with the ipanema and alpha are the only 2 choices we have for the dm-1 and gt2 which are the 2 most popular cars...so please a choice like the p-37 or mazdaspeed 6 would be great!!
they work in tc and i believe they will work as well in gt
Old 12-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #7547
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
Thanks. Do you guys think the new chassis brace is from the inferno ve ?. Looks similar in the pic.
Here's the info on the revised kit

http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/r...duct_id=108454
Old 12-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #7548
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Nice job Kyosho good to see they stuck by there some platform which is already very good. Just wish they dump the Phillip heads.
nitrodash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #7549
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (98%+)

Quote:
Thanks, saw that. Anyone have links to larger pics ?. Kyosho uses the tinest pics ever.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #7550
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodash View Post
Nice job Kyosho good to see they stuck by there some platform which is already very good. Just wish they dump the Phillip heads.
The only worthwhile update is the 2 speed transmission. Most will pitch the radio and motor. All in all a weak update.. hopefully some new bodies will pursue.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #7551
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylunatic View Post
Can the host and promoter please confirm the dates for the IGT WORLDS event. I am in the process of booking my flight and place to stay. Thankyou.

Team IGTHobbies.com is considering on attending if all works out.
x2 = as well as the race fees and schedule. Is there a link someone could post with this info....please?
BIGCAT TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:36 PM   #7552
Tech Adept

Quote:
Hello gentlemen!

I have a few questions that are very important - to me anyway.

I'm trying to get up-to-date information on some of the chassis that are popular these days - to create a new race body. That PF-8 GT is getting long in the tooth - if ya know what I mean.

I had hoped that the GT2 cars (with the longer wheelbase) would eventually be popular for racing - however it seems that this is not happening.
WHY? Don't they handle as well? What's the reason that I don't see any in the photo's of winners on the podium? All I see is the shorter GT1/DM1 Spec type cars.

Do you think that there is a future for the longer wheelbase GR2 type format? I like the looks of them personally - because a racebody can be designed to look more realistic. (just my personal preference) Any thoughts to add?

I appreciate all your input. When responding, please let me know what country you are from.

THANKS! - Dale Epp - Protoform
More scaleish bodys in Long wheel base please,I'd buy another GT8, but waiting for more long wheel base scaleish bodys
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:26 AM   #7553
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
The only worthwhile update is the 2 speed transmission. Most will pitch the radio and motor. All in all a weak update.. hopefully some new bodies will pursue.
These updates appeal more to the Basher and not the racer but is good to see Kyosho still shows interest in there GT car.
nitrodash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #7554
Tech Addict

Quote:
Can the host and promoter please confirm the dates for the IGT WORLDS event. I am in the process of booking my flight and place to stay. Thankyou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGCAT TX View Post
x2 = as well as the race fees and schedule. Is there a link someone could post with this info....please?
The race will be held from March 21-25 at Barceloneta RC Speedway in Puerto Rico. The track is located about 45 minutes from the Luis Munoz Marin International Airport. The best hotels are about 25minutes from the track, look for hotels in the Dorado but you can stay in San Juan or in Isla Verde where there are many more hotels. There are a few Paradores (small hotels) near the track but they are not the cheapest hotels. As far as Nitro Fuel there are many brands available from Byron's, Sidewinder, O'Donnell, Power Master (VP Fuels), among others.

The track has 2 long straights, the smaller one is 175ft long and the longest one is about 225ft. The total racing line is from 950-1000ft total. The weather in march is very good with an 85F average. With the Humidity it can feel in the 90's. I hope this helps you guys out a little. I will try to answer any questions as soon as possible.

Here is a Google Earth picture of the Track:

There will be four categories open to anyone. These are; Gt Spec, Gt Open, Gt Electric, Gt Outlaw. The spec, open and electrics will use the same basic rules as the previous world championships (I will post them as soon as possible). The new class is the GT Outlaw where there are no limits on chassis, weight, etc. In the Outlaw class one can use belt driven cars like the European Rally Game Cars or one can use the shaft driven cars. The race fee and schedule are being work on right now but again as soon as I have something I will let you guys know.

Here is the official race site:
http://gtworldchampionships.com/default.aspx

Rules:
http://gtworldchampionships.com/GT1ClassRules.aspx

Last edited by jneg; 12-13-2011 at 08:09 AM.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #7555
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just another opinion on the short versus long wheelbase. I have run both and choose to run the short car on ALL tracks short and long. I don't feel you give up anything on a long track and your gain in handling on a shorter track is significant.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #7556
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky 1 View Post
Just another opinion on the short versus long wheelbase. I have run both and choose to run the short car on ALL tracks short and long. I don't feel you give up anything on a long track and your gain in handling on a shorter track is significant.
Agreed!
We race on a large permanent track, and parking lot tracks thoughout the season.. We can make the car "feel" long if we need too..
Old 12-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #7557
Tech Addict

You guys are GREAT!

THANKS a bunch for your comments and opinions! It give's me a degree of confidence when starting a labour intensive and fairly costly project.

Keep the information coming. It's more helpfull than you can ever imagine.

What I'm hearing so far is that there's a market for both the long and the short wheelbase bodies - but the hardcore racers still prefer to "race" with the shorter version of the bodies. I'm guessing the market's more than likely larger for the shorter IGT/DM-1 Spec bodies.

Dale - Protoform
daleepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #7558
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
You guys are GREAT!

THANKS a bunch for your comments and opinions! It give's me a degree of confidence when starting a labour intensive and fairly costly project.

Keep the information coming. It's more helpfull than you can ever imagine.

What I'm hearing so far is that there's a market for both the long and the short wheelbase bodies - but the hardcore racers still prefer to "race" with the shorter version of the bodies. I'm guessing the market's more than likely larger for the shorter IGT/DM-1 Spec bodies.

Dale - Protoform
Dale

I want to personally Thankyou for your interest in supporting your customers and the IGT class. I hope with your influence and interest for the IGT class to grow, it might push the official organizers to make IGT an offical sanctioned class at all the on-road events world wide.

Thankyou,
Tony Luna
Old 12-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #7559
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneg View Post
The race will be held from March 21-25 at Barceloneta RC Speedway in Puerto Rico. The track is located about 45 minutes from the Luis Munoz Marin International Airport. The best hotels are about 25minutes from the track, look for hotels in the Dorado but you can stay in San Juan or in Isla Verde where there are many more hotels. There are a few Paradores (small hotels) near the track but they are not the cheapest hotels. As far as Nitro Fuel there are many brands available from Byron's, Sidewinder, O'Donnell, Power Master (VP Fuels), among others.

The track has 2 long straights, the smaller one is 175ft long and the longest one is about 225ft. The total racing line is from 950-1000ft total. The weather in march is very good with an 85F average. With the Humidity it can feel in the 90's. I hope this helps you guys out a little. I will try to answer any questions as soon as possible.

Here is a Google Earth picture of the Track:

There will be four categories open to anyone. These are; Gt Spec, Gt Open, Gt Electric, Gt Outlaw. The spec, open and electrics will use the same basic rules as the previous world championships (I will post them as soon as possible). The new class is the GT Outlaw where there are no limits on chassis, weight, etc. In the Outlaw class one can use belt driven cars like the European Rally Game Cars or one can use the shaft driven cars. The race fee and schedule are being work on right now but again as soon as I have something I will let you guys know.

Here is the official race site:
http://gtworldchampionships.com/default.aspx

Rules:
http://gtworldchampionships.com/GT1ClassRules.aspx
+1

Also spoke with the event Race Director at the "GT WC Warm-up" and we're thinking of adding a "Novato - Kids" class to the event, so children can feel more welcome to run during the race.

Had a great time this weekend at the track in Barceloneta and look forward to racing there again real soon.
Thanks again!
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #7560
Tech Elite

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGCAT TX View Post
We had a great time racing on the 2012 Ipanema GTWC track this past weekend. Too bad none of your Texas crew made out to the race, you might have had some fun with us in Puerto Rico too.

The track is very technical and has lights for night racing; which was very cool, it added a new variable to the event and hope to race GT at night again there!

Last edited by Jspeed; 12-13-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote