R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2011, 04:59 AM   #6871
Tech Elite
 
j.d.roost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,071
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjez View Post
Nice if you dont mind what did you use to cut it.
Dremel and a cutoff wheel.
__________________
F1
Roche usa
R.I.P. Jon Williams
j.d.roost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:59 AM   #6872
Tech Master
 
Gary NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 1,151
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrz93 View Post
nice gary!!
the only thing negative i can say is the pipe is too far out
hope to see it soon
Why do you think it's too far out, Jay? The tip just sticks through the body now - I can see the smoke trail for a change, and the left rear tire isn't covered in oil...sounds ok to me!
__________________
Gary - GMK Supply
www.gmksupply.com
Great products. Goofy names.
Gary NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:04 PM   #6873
Tech Elite
 
jrz93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: jersey
Posts: 2,871
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary NJ View Post
Why do you think it's too far out, Jay? The tip just sticks through the body now - I can see the smoke trail for a change, and the left rear tire isn't covered in oil...sounds ok to me!
I'd use one o those silicone stinger extentions instead I'm just thinking that with that long of a wire it would bend easier and also more close to and tap of boards or people running into you...
But I'm just trying to help...seriously as said in an earlier posts these conversions and how far u went with machining ur own chasis is awesome...I'm sure the building and thought was half the fun!!!! I aplogize to focus on the only negative I found we are racers helping wach other out..I never intended to diminish the talent u have...excellent job I'd like to see that in person! Great job!!
__________________
---NEMO RACING USA--BULLITT--BETA TIRES--CRITTERS HOBBYSHOP--HOBBYWING--TRINITY--TOBAMEISTER PAINT--NYRT--GMK Supply--
--Critters Raceway--Barnstormers Raceway--360v2 Raceway
jrz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #6874
Tech Regular
 
Gonzo RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 367
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrz93 View Post
I'd use one o those silicone stinger extentions instead I'm just thinking that with that long of a wire it would bend easier and also more close to and tap of boards or people running into you...
But I'm just trying to help...seriously as said in an earlier posts these conversions and how far u went with machining ur own chasis is awesome...I'm sure the building and thought was half the fun!!!! I aplogize to focus on the only negative I found we are racers helping wach other out..I never intended to diminish the talent u have...excellent job I'd like to see that in person! Great job!!

I tought the same thing about the pipe. Its very likely to get hit from time to time... I use the silicon stinger and also a good idea to cut the body so that it helps prevent the smoke from going to the rear tire. During the Byron's race I got hit and my stinger came off but the way I cut the hole for the stinger helped prevent smoke from getting on the rear tire for the rest of the race.

It is great to see so many cool GT conversions!
__________________
Xray NT1 '08 /'09 EC LRP12R / Serpent 720 '08 RB Concept V12, R3 RB mods, V12 Rody, Matrix RW / Serpent 733, 733TE RB T9 / EA RC8T OS .21 Vspec speed tuned / Kyosho Inferno GT, GT2 / EA SC10 / Serpent Cobra GT coming soon!
Gonzo RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #6875
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 177
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneg View Post
What are you running? We can't help you if we don't know what you drive, plus it is great to see pics of each others cars.
Mugen MBX-6 eco

s.l.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #6876
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,831
Default

I don' trust those silicon stingers. I think they rob power. I was also concerned about oil on my rear left tire, and tried the stinger. But I didn't like the sound. Maybe it's only sound and the performance difference is only perceived.. But I just don't like those things..
__________________
-Team Associated RC8.2, RC8T CE, & SC8 with 1.) Argus A52/0801, 2.) RB Fire 11/2058 or 053, 3.) RB Blast V9/2045, 4.) Nosram RS.30RR/JP-4, & 5.) modded Nosram RS.21RR/086
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:11 AM   #6877
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 442
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.l.c. View Post
Mugen MBX-6 eco

Lets see it without the shell on.
williamw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:42 AM   #6878
Tech Master
 
Gary NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 1,151
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrz93 View Post
I'd use one o those silicone stinger extentions instead I'm just thinking that with that long of a wire it would bend easier and also more close to and tap of boards or people running into you...
But I'm just trying to help...seriously as said in an earlier posts these conversions and how far u went with machining ur own chasis is awesome...I'm sure the building and thought was half the fun!!!! I aplogize to focus on the only negative I found we are racers helping wach other out..I never intended to diminish the talent u have...excellent job I'd like to see that in person! Great job!!
Nothing to apologize about, Jay - I just wanted to hear what you thought, because you may have seen something I hadn't considered. One other negative of the way I mounted it is that it puts (a little) more weight towards the outside of the chassis - never good for handling.

Remember my original bumper at FBF - THAT idea didn't work out so good No matter how long I've been doing this, there is always something else to learn. And building iy WAS half the fun....

You missed a good race at Chaplin last Sunday.
__________________
Gary - GMK Supply
www.gmksupply.com
Great products. Goofy names.
Gary NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:17 AM   #6879
Tech Elite
 
Rick Vessell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mars
Posts: 2,248
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo RR View Post
I tought the same thing about the pipe. Its very likely to get hit from time to time... I use the silicon stinger and also a good idea to cut the body so that it helps prevent the smoke from going to the rear tire. During the Byron's race I got hit and my stinger came off but the way I cut the hole for the stinger helped prevent smoke from getting on the rear tire for the rest of the race.

It is great to see so many cool GT conversions!
I don't use the stinger extensions, they do affect power output. I've also seen cars get hit too many times and tuck the extension inside the body which oils down the tire almost instantly. I cut a 30mm hole in the side of the body inline with the exhaust. I also make up a deflector from scrap lexan and attach it to the inside of the body with rivets. It's a simple L shape with tabs for the rivets. I make it wide enough so that the inner edge is approx. 10mm from the side of the pipe. This gets almost all of the exhaust out of the body and any that doesn't can't reach the rear tire.

Rick
Rick Vessell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #6880
Tech Regular
 
Gonzo RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 367
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Rick!
Here are some pics of the Byron Challenge Race! It was really nice seeing some new and old GT racers! We sure have the best of the best running at Leisure Hours.

































__________________
Xray NT1 '08 /'09 EC LRP12R / Serpent 720 '08 RB Concept V12, R3 RB mods, V12 Rody, Matrix RW / Serpent 733, 733TE RB T9 / EA RC8T OS .21 Vspec speed tuned / Kyosho Inferno GT, GT2 / EA SC10 / Serpent Cobra GT coming soon!

Last edited by Gonzo RR; 06-30-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Gonzo RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #6881
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,365
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Great pics, GonzoRR!!! Man, it makes me wish that I could have attended!! I hope to make the Byron's race next year with GT, 200mm and 8th scale Lola in tow as well.
__________________
Texas 5
It's not what you know; it's what you can prove.
The only thing that is for sure is that nothing is for sure!!!
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #6882
Tech Regular
 
Gonzo RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 367
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
Great pics, GonzoRR!!! Man, it makes me wish that I could have attended!! I hope to make the Byron's race next year with GT, 200mm and 8th scale Lola in tow as well.
I had a great time! Perfect weather all weekend, lots of track time, great people to race with... what else can you ask for? You gotta make it next year!
__________________
Xray NT1 '08 /'09 EC LRP12R / Serpent 720 '08 RB Concept V12, R3 RB mods, V12 Rody, Matrix RW / Serpent 733, 733TE RB T9 / EA RC8T OS .21 Vspec speed tuned / Kyosho Inferno GT, GT2 / EA SC10 / Serpent Cobra GT coming soon!
Gonzo RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #6883
Tech Elite
 
jrz93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: jersey
Posts: 2,871
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Vessell View Post
I don't use the stinger extensions, they do affect power output. I've also seen cars get hit too many times and tuck the extension inside the body which oils down the tire almost instantly. I cut a 30mm hole in the side of the body inline with the exhaust. I also make up a deflector from scrap lexan and attach it to the inside of the body with rivets. It's a simple L shape with tabs for the rivets. I make it wide enough so that the inner edge is approx. 10mm from the side of the pipe. This gets almost all of the exhaust out of the body and any that doesn't can't reach the rear tire.

Rick
Good idea...see I face my pipe towards the ground w/o that silicone...
Can u post pics of that deflector?
__________________
---NEMO RACING USA--BULLITT--BETA TIRES--CRITTERS HOBBYSHOP--HOBBYWING--TRINITY--TOBAMEISTER PAINT--NYRT--GMK Supply--
--Critters Raceway--Barnstormers Raceway--360v2 Raceway
jrz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #6884
Tech Elite
 
TommyBlazin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: jersey
Posts: 2,580
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrz93 View Post
Good idea...see I face my pipe towards the ground w/o that silicone...
Can u post pics of that deflector?
jay the body i gave you had the deflectors hes talking about?
__________________
Thinking on maybe a Tekno 1/8 Nitro Buggy?
TommyBlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #6885
Tech Elite
 
Kitchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta GA.
Posts: 2,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo RR View Post
The best pic of them all ...I'll be there next time.
__________________
-T&L BOYZ-HORSHAM RC-Blue Diamond-Critters-M.B.R.C.-LCRC-
Jackson R/C*2 Solar Avenue Jackson, NJ 08527*
I survived The 24 Herues Du Jackson 2010 :.]
-- KITCHEN will return --
Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GT class--buggy-based on road! duneland Nitro Off-Road 5 03-20-2012 11:03 AM
JRX-S based 4wd buggy?? Why was the idea scrapped? cpatel529 Electric Off-Road 33 12-08-2007 06:19 AM
WTB: .21 NovaRossi based on-road engine parts Speed_Racer R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 12-26-2006 11:40 AM
WTB: .21 NovaRossi based on-road engine parts Speed_Racer R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 13 09-30-2006 10:31 AM
WTB: .21 NovaRossi based on-road engine parts Speed_Racer R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 8 03-21-2006 01:05 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:01 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net