R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #631
Tech Master

I've heard some complaints that rear (main) bearing of the GXR28 wouldn't last long. Has this been an issue for you? How have you solved it? Do you know if there are any ceramic bearings around?
MikaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #632
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No Problem with any of the two i have!

All i do is run Rocket Science Fuel and after every run i drench the motor with oil acting as after run oil !
Great luck so far ! I duno !
later
Jeff Epperson

Blowin Smoke BBQ
Kevin Hutchinson
Big Jeff BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #633
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Infiniti Tech Send a message via Yahoo to Infiniti Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaR View Post
I've heard some complaints that rear (main) bearing of the GXR28 wouldn't last long. Has this been an issue for you? How have you solved it? Do you know if there are any ceramic bearings around?
I've seen 1 at the track. The guy had broken the engine in properly and had about a quart of fuel through it and it acted like the pullstart was binding. He removed the head button and there was metal on top of the piston and when he pelled the backplate off, about 3/4 of the ball bearings were out of the rear main bearing.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:30 AM   #634
Tech Master

Thanks guys

I spoke with Kyosho - there are few things to prevent the failure:
not to use too much air filter oil, proper maintenance and inspecting the parts condition on regular basis, changing the front bearing after first gallon and then every gallon or two
MikaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:50 AM   #635
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Wow what a suprise,are you getting this Jspeed & Hummer 3
kmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:48 AM   #636
Tech Elite

Yea Bro, I get you.

I learned about the bearings after about 5 gallons thru mine before I started checking the endplay at the flywheel. The bearings are not expensive & easy to change out. Just heat it with a gun & they pop out. Freeze the bearings first and they slide right in, easy.

Even a Worlds Edition Sirio Collari monster .21 comes with new bearings & rod in the wooden box for how much money?

Some guys blew motors at the Kyosho US Open at Kissimee too, but who knows the condition the engines were in for that big track. I’m sure a few guys running Sedan hurt their cars there too. I bet a lot of guys running Sedan went to this race track with brand new big money .12 engines.

If any engine is not 100% right, it can blow up no matter what it is.

Mike, I still have a nasty Picco/Collari G1XP-PRO all done up with the big slide carb, but for what, to have the same crazy problems you had at the track the other day.

Luv ya bro, I don't need those kinda problems

It’s all good, run a “GT Open” or get a “Super Stock” class going, but be pre-paired for the money war with these cars too! It would be cool to see these cars running close to the 70mph range on bigger tracks.

Call me when you get that LRP to beat Paul at Ronnie's
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:52 AM   #637
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jeff BBQ View Post
No Problem with any of the two i have!

All i do is run Rocket Science Fuel and after every run i drench the motor with oil acting as after run oil !
Great luck so far ! I duno !
later
Jeff Epperson

Blowin Smoke BBQ
Waz up Big Jeff, how's the racing up in Georgia?
Old 05-02-2008, 07:44 AM   #638
Tech Master

Default To post #639

Your're right,but when the numbers are so high of problems when do say it's the engine,and I'm on year #2 with that nasty hot .12 engine of mine with 30% no worries that what I like the only thing I want to bake all the time is cookies can't you tell,LRp is will be fine that was the first run 1 tank and we know why hint hint
Old 05-02-2008, 08:08 AM   #639
Tech Elite

Jspeed,

Bvoltz and I have been talking about the many issues with the stock Kyosho engine as far as reliability. He has proposed that his series in Jackson, MS will include a "spec" engine. The engines of choice are the OS 21VG, Sportwerks .26 and Dynamite .26. (all have to be pullstart version). These engines are relatively inexpense (under $180). However, if a racer wants, they can still run the stock engine, so, a change is not mandatory. The pipe choice for the spec engines will probably be the Dynamite pipe (inexpensive as well). Give me your thoughts on this.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:16 AM   #640
Tech Master

Amen,see Jeffery it's not only me
Old 05-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #641
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmichael View Post
Amen,see Jeffery it's not only me
Well, I haven't had bearing issues (yet) but did blow up the original engine in the car. I did not know that 30% nitro was too high of a content for it (threw the rod through the piston, sleeve, and crankcase). Zootcapri and his buddy bailed me out with their slightly used engines. I had carb issues with the second engine and luckily had the carb from the destroyed engine to replace it. Others have had issues with the engine not holding carb settings, overheating (I have heard of temps over 325 degrees), and the listing is getting longer. Bvoltz decided to keep the rest of the rules the same, just lax them a bit for the engine concerns.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #642
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
Jspeed,

Bvoltz and I have been talking about the many issues with the stock Kyosho engine as far as reliability. He has proposed that his series in Jackson, MS will include a "spec" engine. The engines of choice are the OS 21VG, Sportwerks .26 and Dynamite .26. (all have to be pullstart version). These engines are relatively inexpense (under $180). However, if a racer wants, they can still run the stock engine, so, a change is not mandatory. The pipe choice for the spec engines will probably be the Dynamite pipe (inexpensive as well). Give me your thoughts on this.
Kmichael is a good friend, but he’s not telling everyone about the Centax clutch, header and other mods he wants to introduce in the class. Are you Mike?

I suppose equal types of replacement engines could work when product availability concerns are an issue, replacement engines could use the factory muffler to even things more & keep costs down too.

If racers with the stock IGT .28 engines check & replace bearings on a regular basis, they can enjoy a car that can win races without the added expense of aftermarket engines, engine mounts or clutches; not to mention whatever else you'll need once you open Pandora's box
Old 05-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #643
Tech Elite

Jspeed,

For now, I will keep my car box stock and see what happens as Bvoltz' Bass Pro Series develops. Even as some will most likely convert theirs to his new "spec" engine(s), nothing makes up for lack of good driving skills and understanding the track and track conditions. I won the second race in his series with probably the second slowest IGT on the track. My driving skills made up for the lack of speed and overdriving by my competition (carrying too much speed into corners, drag racing down the backstretch, overshooting corners, etc).
Old 05-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #644
Tech Master

Default Oh Jeff

Yes the centex is mine alone I was not sure about the stock shaft with the power but I could be wrong there,the stock header only fit that engine,but I'm using the stock muffer because it's a very good muffer,you on the other hand is trying your best to get kyosho to look at you but you doing it at other people expense,if you show a little knowledge and stop look the otherway maybe you get on the payroll,you said kyosho knows of the weak engine and their working on it so why should we keep changing the bearing and put time and money in it until its fixed,add up the time & money spent replacing bearing that often,once again I love my IGT car the engine is a weak link
Old 05-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #645
Tech Elite

Mike you got me all wrong.

Don't you go thru your engines after 1 to 2 galons of fuel?
I know I check my stuff every other club race and before every big race.

Dude, how many guys racing hard replace bearings & connecting rods after the break-in or before any big race?

Bearings cost like $30 dollars at Ronnie's, how much for a new engine, clutch, motor mounts......... People blow up the GXR engine when their bearings get sloopy. No sloppy bearings=no blown motors.

Like we always talk about, I have no problems so far with the stock IGT engine, you do, that's cool. We're racing a car that wasn't really intended for the abuse we give it. I think it does more than a good job for me.

Build your open car and have a good time with it.