Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think they look trick, but damm they cost a lot, $40.00 at most shops.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I dont see the need for INS Boxes on GT Cars, its a +1 rule to people not race.

INS Boxes started their usage in Europe due to heavy EFRA (equivalent to ROAR) regulations over Db noice levels.

And about their performance effect, i do feel that they take power off ... why to complicate this on a class that is looking for it place to grow ?

Jeff, your proposal on tyre traction sauces i think its a very good idea ...

cya !
Old 04-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
After reading what happened in Homestead this week, our GT race rules will see a slight change to exclude the use of any chemical traction additives & a possible to include the use of "INS Boxes" for our race in Texas, but thats it, no other changes are needed for 2011.

Weight restrictions in GT Open class are not going to happen, minimum weight for GT Spec is 3500 grams.

To view more on the topic click here.

o boy? i have to weigh my car? is that set in stone yet, or is the open class ok with that? thanx, in respose to ins boxes, they dont hamper performance, novarossi and others have done ALOT of testing, and i assure they arent going to make a 900.00 motor and sell something to make it slower, i did my own testing years ago, 1/8 onroad, and saw no difference, i actually think like it says on the mugen ins box "BOOST" that they boost the performance, yep, boost, maybe because the filter is laying down with the wing hitting it? not sure, but i like em better, and team mugen seems to think it helps, as well as team tommy...LOL ..just my .02$ But i assure you i did ALOT of my own testing to confirm this as i also was weery of the idea myself, for 1/8 onroad, they also offer me more reliability of the filter not flying off, i havent run gt yet to tell my opinion if we need them for gt,or not, UNLESS the noise is to loud, but again the GT class runs 21+ size motors, .28 .30 etc etc...so maybe they do?...but i say screw em if its to loud!!! LOLOLLL..no offense to anyone just j/k'n
Old 04-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Patricio,
The reason we’re thinking about them for our GT Open class for the Texas race is because of a few reasons:

A lot of the “GT Open” racers are already running on-road .21 engines with the loudest pipes available (some of them are not legal to be used in IFAR, EFRA & ROAR), just like the 1/8 scales cars, but without INS boxes they’re very loud at the track we'll be running at.

The track at Mike’s has the pit area right up against the side of the track on both sides of the driver’s stand. The track is also sandwiched in between two buildings that trap a lot of noise.

After watching these short videos of a only a few GT cars running a qualifier there, you can hear how loud it was. Watch these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc7nN...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6T-m...eature=related

Now try to imagine three full days of hearing 10 to 12 “Non-INS” equipped GT Open class cars on the track at one time. If the sound didn’t bounce off the two buildings and the pit tables weren’t close to the track, it wouldn’t be much of an issue really.

Add those together and a heavy turnout of GT Open class racers and it could get ruff after a while for everyone.

Those are the reasons we’re considering INS boxes for GT Open only for our race in Texas this year. GT Spec class is fine without INS boxes. Like I said, we're talking about it.

Glad to see you agree about the “no sauce” rule Bro.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TommyBlazin
o boy? i have to weigh my car? is that set in stone yet, or is the open class ok with that? thanx
That 3500 gram weight is for GT Spec" class only, no weight restriction should exist in GT Open class; gotta leave room for GT Inovations.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

cool, because this is a race i plan to be at
Old 04-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Tech Addict

Jajaja I have one on my 1/8 pan car and didn't know how they were called. That goes to show how every day we can learn something new.

We only use these when we travel to major races because our track is located in a very open area noise is not a problem for us.

Tommy only Spec cars have a weight limit so us Open class guys can go crazy with the milling machine or the Dremmel.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

i got creative myself, but i didnt dremel anything to make it weaker, i thought "outside" the box, will try to weight tonight, i have to be pretty darn low by now...whats the lightest confirmed so far?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Tech Adept

Are you talking about adding the INS boxes to the SCRS series rules. I personally run a Werks B5 .21 w/ a JP3 pipe. There may have been one or two drivers running something that seemed louder. I have run in the 1/8 off-road at Mike's and I bet you it was way louder in the covered building than what we experienced out on the on-road track a few weeks ago. Sounds to me that the rules committee is made up of some electric guys. I wasn't aware they had a spec and an open class for the GT cars in the SCRS series.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TommyBlazin
i got creative myself, but i didnt dremel anything to make it weaker, i thought "outside" the box, will try to weight tonight, i have to be pretty darn low by now...whats the lightest confirmed so far?
Be careful what you cut, one good bump and you might have to try to finish our 45 to 60 minute A Main on three wheels,
Old 04-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chaderick
Are you talking about adding the INS boxes to the SCRS series rules. I personally run a Werks B5 .21 w/ a JP3 pipe. There may have been one or two drivers running something that seemed louder. I have run in the 1/8 off-road at Mike's and I bet you it was way louder in the covered building than what we experienced out on the on-road track a few weeks ago. Sounds to me that the rules committee is made up of some electric guys. I wasn't aware they had a spec and an open class for the GT cars in the SCRS series.
No, not SCRS rules, just the 2011 Ipanema US GT Nationals rules.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Be careful what you cut, one good bump and you might have to try to finish our 45 to 60 minute A Main on three wheels,

thats why i didnt "cut" anything away, rather move stuff around, and remove deck heavy items not needed...im a Slueth...O and the 3-wheel thing, wouldnt be the first time ive done that....
Old 04-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Adept

I know it is early but what kind of turn out do they have typically for the "open" and "spec" classes.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you are talking about the SWCS onroad series in Texas, there are rules for Spec and Open for GT racing. When we first ran in the series back in 2009, we had both Open and Spec racers and we ran LeMans style which made it very interesting running. This year, everyone is running Open class cars but if folks want to run Spec, rules are available as far as what is and isn't allowed on a Spec car.

As far as the onroad race at Mike's a few weeks back, there were a few in the pits around me that did not like how loud some of the GT cars were as compared to some others due to the pipes being used on the loud cars. Some of those racers brought up the idea of having the GT cars run with the INS box to help bring down the exhaust noise of the louder pipes. Nothing has been etched in stone about it, just something to consider, especially since 8th scale Lola and 200mm cars are now being required to use them at many sanctioned races. The INS box does help cut the decibel levels down in 8th scale Lola but really make the .12s in 200mm cars more quiet (sounds more like F-1 cars now).
Old 04-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

I know it is early but what kind of turn out do they have typically for the "open" and "spec" classes.
It is kind of early to know, really depends on the state of the economy next October. I do have a feeling our race in Texas might be pretty big since GT is getting more popular every day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.