R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #5506
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBlazin View Post
thanks, i am more interested in the droop or lack of droop, i hear of "cranking springs" and setting ride height ...
When I raced my Kyosho IGT1 I used Droop F/R of 1mm/8-10 mm. I set ride height with the adj. screws on the shock body first. Then unhooked the shocks and used the droop screws to set the
suspension droop. Iused a droop gauge. After testing on the track, I would reduce the rear droop 1 or 2 mm to change stability under braking and corner exit.
You have to also account for suspension arm flex, so you may need to set a static droop lower to account for this characteristic.
I know that when using the droop screws to set your ride height,
the car has a pre-loaded, stiffer suspension. The droop will be influenced
by the spring tension acting on the suspension arms (because the arms will flex). But I have no chassis set up experience with this method. Hopefully another racer can share their experience with this method.

Hope this info helps.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #5507
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveTracer View Post
When I raced my Kyosho IGT1 I used Droop F/R of 1mm/8-10 mm. I set ride height with the adj. screws on the shock body first. Then unhooked the shocks and used the droop screws to set the
suspension droop. Iused a droop gauge. After testing on the track, I would reduce the rear droop 1 or 2 mm to change stability under braking and corner exit.
You have to also account for suspension arm flex, so you may need to set a static droop lower to account for this characteristic.
I know that when using the droop screws to set your ride height,
the car has a pre-loaded, stiffer suspension. The droop will be influenced
by the spring tension acting on the suspension arms (because the arms will flex). But I have no chassis set up experience with this method. Hopefully another racer can share their experience with this method.

Hope this info helps.
Can you please explain static droop? I know what static caster is and does, but never heard of static droop. Thanks
Old 04-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #5508
Tech Master

droop = outward suspension, it's the travel arms do when lifting the car from the ground (>= ride height)
Old 04-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #5509
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman2 View Post
I want this body anyone know where i can find one.
bigjez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #5510
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaR View Post
droop = outward suspension, it's the travel arms do when lifting the car from the ground (>= ride height)

Droop actually just limits suspension travel fwd/aft thats it. Droop has no effect on ride height and if you are trying to make ride height adjustments with droop your causing more upset to the car than good?
Old 04-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #5511
Tech Adept

Ipanema Warrior that won best paint in Mexico City.
Attached Thumbnails
GT class--buggy-based on road!-imag0036.jpg   GT class--buggy-based on road!-imag0037.jpg   GT class--buggy-based on road!-imag0039.jpg   GT class--buggy-based on road!-imag0041.jpg   GT class--buggy-based on road!-imag0042.jpg  

rcmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #5512
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjez View Post
I want this body anyone know where i can find one.
Contact IGT Hobbies: http://www.igthobbies.com/category_s/41.htm
bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #5513
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Cool

Hey Mike! Would you mind sharing your set up with us for the GT Worlds?
Xray NT1 '08 /'09 EC LRP12R / Serpent 720 '08 RB Concept V12, R3 RB mods, V12 Rody, Matrix RW / Serpent 733, 733TE RB T9 / EA RC8T OS .21 Vspec speed tuned / Kyosho Inferno GT, GT2 / EA SC10 / Serpent Cobra GT coming soon!
Gonzo RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #5514
Tech Champion

In stock
http://www.brucknerhobbies.com/Ipanema.htm
Old 04-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #5515
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo RR View Post
Hey Mike! Would you mind sharing your set up with us for the GT Worlds?
++++1 on that i would LOVE to see a recent setup ,thats the spirit. i will share alll info as i go along as well, matter of fact found a rear center cvd that fits when u use the new optional kyosho 2 2-speed system, its a duratrax part, its HEAVY THO ..i grinded the shaft from 6.5mm to 4mm no B.S. and the hub, i took off 2mm overall as well, i will post pix and part number,as im sure people with this newer 2-speed might wat to add a cvd in the center rear..if u dont care about the weight, go for it..but i also ordered a hong nor part from a x2 truggy its a center cvd, seems to be of better quality, this is not going to be the final solution as im not happy with the weight, and quality, but after 2 hours of hand modification it will work fine FOR NOW...we'll get these cars DIALED , i want to put these lap times in equal distance as 1/10th is to 1/8th!!! got work to do..mike please post setup, that would be helpfull and appreciated
Old 04-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #5516
Tech Adept

no problem Gonzo, i will get a setup sheet, fill it out and post it. i do know when i let someone drive my car they say it is hard to drive. my setup might not work for some people, driving style does determines setup. i have a shirt from Victor for you too.
rcmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #5517
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashuffer View Post

Droop actually just limits suspension travel fwd/aft thats it. Droop has no effect on ride height and if you are trying to make ride height adjustments with droop your causing more upset to the car than good?
I meant droop at minimum is the same as your ride height. In that case there's no movement in the A-arms when lifting the car from the ground.

But usually it's a bit more.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:32 AM   #5518
Tech Elite

I always follow this order in chassis set-up on my cars.

Ride height 1st, then camber, followed by toe settings, returning back to double check for any camber changes that might have been affected by toe changes and then finally putting the chassis up on blocks to set droop.

Droop must be set with sway bars and shocks disconnected to be accurate. Droop heights are set using the set screws on the arms that are actually down travel limiters.

Upon connecting the sway bars again, droop heights must be rechecked, as sometimes they may "hang-up" on side or the other; adjust sway bar end heights if needed.

After all that, I connect the shocks again. If its found that the droop settings have changed from the shocks, then there's something wrong with the shock lengths or maybe a bent shaft could be keeping the arms from extending to full droop.

Also be aware that when changing ride height after set-up, your droop will also be affected and you may have to start all over again.

Hope it helps.

BTW: Mike, your Warrior's paint job is insane!

Thanks for sharing it!
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #5519
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

that's a crazy cool paint job there mike. Looks fantastic.
briankstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #5520
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankstan View Post
that's a crazy cool paint job there mike. Looks fantastic.
+1 on that Brian!!! I think Mike has one of the best paint jobs out there for our GT cars.
bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote