R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #3391
Tech Elite

You have a point about decals turning out to be "banana peels" on the track, lol

Never thought about that.....
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #3392
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default GT Rules

SteveP,
Thanks for the work on the Provisional 1/8 Super GT ROAR rules.
I am having a difficult time understanding the focus on the "chassis kickup as derived from buggy/truck chassis" being a requirement.
Races are being won by both Kyosho and Ofna models.
My understanding was that the GT cars were intended to be "buggy" derived, which does not mean that every feature of a a buggy/Truck should be carried over to the GT platform.
We have models from two manufacturers running as pro kit or RTRs.
Ofna DM1, DM1 Spec, GT II GT 1
Kyosho IGT 1, IGT 2
Are ALL of these models intended to be covered by the ROAR GT class rules?
Ofna has always used a flat chassis ( the GT I used a front bumper with a kickup)
Kyosho has always used a chassis with a built-in kickup.
Why not write the rules to accommodate both chassis design approaches or just require the car have an aluminum chassis.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #3393
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What is the chassis like on the Tunder Tiger cars? Is it flat or does it have kick-up?

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #3394
Tech Champion

Also what would be allowed for cars that arent' currently made for on road? For example: say I get a two speed fitted into a Losi 8 without modifying the chassis. Would that be allowed in the GT classes?

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
Old 05-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #3395
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveTracer View Post
SteveP,
Thanks for the work on the Provisional 1/8 Super GT ROAR rules.
I am having a difficult time understanding the focus on the "chassis kickup as derived from buggy/truck chassis" being a requirement.
Races are being won by both Kyosho and Ofna models.
My understanding was that the GT cars were intended to be "buggy" derived, which does not mean that every feature of a a buggy/Truck should be carried over to the GT platform.
We have models from two manufacturers running as pro kit or RTRs.
Ofna DM1, DM1 Spec, GT II GT 1
Kyosho IGT 1, IGT 2
Are ALL of these models intended to be covered by the ROAR GT class rules?
Ofna has always used a flat chassis ( the GT I used a front bumper with a kickup)
Kyosho has always used a chassis with a built-in kickup.
Why not write the rules to accommodate both chassis design approaches or just require the car have an aluminum chassis.

I tend to think the current dm1s chassis should be "grandfathered" in, if for nothing else, all the racers that run them now; that's what I'm doing with Ipanema Sports events.

The main thing is to not just watch our North American "GT" class turn into a "Rally Game" class and lose what has made GT grow. (Nothing against "RG" but it's different from "GT1, GT2 and now "Super GT". )
Old 05-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #3396
Tech Fanatic

Jeff,

Yes, unfortunately they use REALLY strong adhesive to try their best to keep the decals in place, and it's exactly what makes them stick to the tires like flypaper. I've seen cars sustain 60 mph and they still couldn't shake that damn thing off the tire. Somehow it never seems to stick to the car that lost it - it always finds its way onto another racer's car. LOL

Curve - thanks for the comments. I'm with Jspeed - this is a single but large step towards what happened with the Rally Game category, and it represents an extra expense and additional unnecessary parts that every dealer must carry to support the product. To keep the barrier to entry as low as possible, it makes sense to choose the configuration that was both first, and the least expensive. I think it would be fair to let the current cars compete, but to require future revisions to conform. As you pointed out, they already have two cars that comply, and getting one or two more is a simple as taking a buggy (or a truck with buggy arms) and slapping a licensed body on it. But it's not about what's best for them, it's about what's best for the class, and I think we can all agree that if it only requires swapping a couple of parts that are ALREADY made for other popular vehicles, the parts supply is instantly available, the network is already saturated, and there will be more manufacturers willing to support the class. If everyone likes more vehicle choice and a level playing field, then this is certainly the most logical direction.

Air, I believe there should be a provision for converted cars. The leaning right now is they would run in the modified class. So, "yes" is the short answer to your question. It's the essence of how the class was founded, so I'm sure there will be a place for them.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #3397
Tech Elite

Does anybody have pictures from the Vegas race?
Old 05-05-2010, 07:09 AM   #3398
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Jspeed,

Would it be a bit much for Ipanema to develop another type of spoked rim to A) replace the dish rim and B) be nearly as durable, impact-wise, as the dish rim? Something that would look like a rim you find on real cars but tough enough for racing without breaking out the center hub or warping on first impact with something. Maybe it could be something online with the design of the current Twister/Kyosho/Serpent/RB Products style 200mm touring car rim currently on the market.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #3399
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
Jspeed,

Would it be a bit much for Ipanema to develop another type of spoked rim.
We’ve been working on ideas for another new “Worlds” edition wheel for the 2011 Ipanema Worlds at Victor’s track in Ajusco Mexico. We also just released our new dish wheel design a little over a month ago, so they’ll be legal at our races for a while.

When I’m on a driver’s stand, I always try to remember that if I was driving inside my RC car and crashed it, I could be hurt real bad.

It’s a pretty good way to look at driving you’re RC car during races. It has saved me on a lot of bent chassis and broken stuff. It also keeps me from breaking my friend’s cars too. Lol

Some might want to “flame” me for this, but….. my favorite Ipanema wheel is our 5-Stars, that some GT racers are scared of the most, lol.

It’s funny, because the GT racers that run them are all fast; some of them are waiting for us in Joliet, at Leisure Hours.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #3400
Tech Addict

Hello from France,

we're working on a similar project but with different rules.

- Stock Class:
shaft driven chassis - realistic bodies (Subaru, Ford WRC, Protoform PF8, Ferrari F360/430, Corvette....No Rally Game special bodies, no Super GT bodies....) - .21 engine is free - gearbox allowed if pullstart engine...
We can run free engine because we provide tyres during the race. We choose a hard compound so you don't need a big engine. And if an Offroader wants to play GT, he can drive his OffRoad car with his usual engine (like Toro Nero), but with the poor tyres he can't give the full power!!
7mn qualification (big engines can't do 7mn!!!)

- Unlilmited class:
shaft or belt chassis - bodies are free...

Good luck for your project.

Romuald Derenne
romuald31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #3401
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
We’ve been working on ideas for another new “Worlds” edition wheel for the 2011 Ipanema Worlds at Victor’s track in Ajusco Mexico. We also just released our new dish wheel design a little over a month ago, so they’ll be legal at our races for a while.

When I’m on a driver’s stand, I always try to remember that if I was driving inside my RC car and crashed it, I could be hurt real bad.

It’s a pretty good way to look at driving you’re RC car during races. It has saved me on a lot of bent chassis and broken stuff. It also keeps me from breaking my friend’s cars too. Lol

Some might want to “flame” me for this, but….. my favorite Ipanema wheel is our 5-Stars, that some GT racers are scared of the most, lol.

It’s funny, because the GT racers that run them are all fast; some of them are waiting for us in Joliet, at Leisure Hours.
Thanks bro, I knew that you would be on top of it now that we have a "sneak peak" of the ROAR rules!!! Many of us understand your "putting yourself in the car" analogy but sometimes, collisions on the track are unavoidable with some that are out of your control. Keep up the good work bringing us first class GT products.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #3402
Tech Elite

Jeff,

I noticed in a pic from the Motonica race, there was another Blackhawk Warrior body that podiumed!! Expecting to see more on podiums at GT races in the future. Is there a possibility of another Ipanema body on the horizon, maybe more sedan-like or coupe-like?
Old 05-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #3403
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
Jeff,

I noticed in a pic from the Motonica race, there was another Blackhawk Warrior body that podiumed!! Expecting to see more on podiums at GT races in the future. Is there a possibility of another Ipanema body on the horizon, maybe more sedan-like or coupe-like?
Coupe....
Sedan.....

Ipanema is a beautiful beach.
Blackhawk was a serious dude.
Warriors get the job done.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #3404
Tech Champion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8PsY...eature=related

Are these Euro hauler bodies mounted on buggy chassis? I would love to get one them as a show piece to surprise my buddies. LOL. About fell out of my chair when I saw this. Absolutely Awesome.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
Old 05-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #3405
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8PsY...eature=related

Are these Euro hauler bodies mounted on buggy chassis? I would love to get one them as a show piece to surprise my buddies. LOL. About fell out of my chair when I saw this. Absolutely Awesome.
Yokomo use to make them for 190mm and 200mm cars. I got one for my 200mm to drum up some interest but it never took off in my area. That body definitely means that you have to have a killer setup because aerodynamics are thrown out the window!! A Euro GT truck class, interesting concept.