R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-29-2010, 03:28 AM   #3346
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootcapri View Post
Body almost ready for the Vegas race.... almost....
Zoot, looks great, thanks for sharing your pics.

Good Luck!
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:33 AM   #3347
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't think a spec motor should be over $200. We need to keep cost down in the spec class. Need to choose motors that have cost and power in the same range as the stock kit motor. So if a Force motor sells for $150 and it is 2.5 hp a replacement should not be a $250, 3.5 hp motor. If a need for more power is needed when the open class is where the big buck high HP motor should run.

If Novrossi has a motor that fits in the cost and hp range then maybe it can be added to the list. but some testing should be done to make sure they would be a match.
Bubba Cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:19 AM   #3348
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Cola View Post
I don't think a spec motor should be over $200. We need to keep cost down in the spec class. Need to choose motors that have cost and power in the same range as the stock kit motor. So if a Force motor sells for $150 and it is 2.5 hp a replacement should not be a $250, 3.5 hp motor. If a need for more power is needed when the open class is where the big buck high HP motor should run.

If Novrossi has a motor that fits in the cost and hp range then maybe it can be added to the list. but some testing should be done to make sure they would be a match.
All of this is being taken into consideration. There are now a ton of engines in the .21 to .28 range to consider now from all types of manufacturers. Again, lists are being compiled and comparison evaluations are being done to ensure that the new engine listing for the Spec class will be fair across the board. Be patient, a new spec engine listing will be forthcoming soon.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #3349
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Body almost ready for the Vegas race.... almost....
Zoot .... where did you pick up the body? Let me know how it works. We have a work day to set up our track this weekend and first "Race" day on Sunday, but since I agreed to help dirrect the crew, I probably will not get much racing done this weekend. But just wait for the 16th!!!

Hey, you might think about coming over, as we are talking about doing a practice day on the 15th and race on the 16th. Getting ready for Nitro Nats in Lincoln (we have about the same layout, so good practice).

Mark
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #3350
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Cola View Post

+1

I personally feel that the selection of “Spec Approved” engines shouldn’t rely 100% on manufacturer “claimed” output or strictly on price alone. This could leave the door open for an engine to appear that would sell under cost, make huge “un-advertised” power figures and be made of low-quality materials.

Some might take advantage of this type of situation and use a new engine for each race, with no regard to the “GT Spec” class concept, because after the race it’ll be in a trash can anyway.

The “Spec” engine list should also be limited to a few easily identifiable power-plants, so tech is easier to accomplish. A “Spec” engine list of 50 power-plants would be a nightmare to enforce and guys could start cheating left & right. This is also a serious concern and the reason for an “approved” list in the first place.

Our good GT racing friends in Mexico have a very good “Spec-Engine” program that is super-easy to enforce and judging by the constant club attendance levels, it works well. In there program you can use the factory RTR engine or the OS .21 VG, that’s it, easy. The OS engine runs very well, has proven to be durable and offer value to the GT racers at their tracks. It may be a “mono-brand” rule, but it works great and keeps Victor’s “GT Spec” class growing strong.
I'm not saying we're headed in that direction, but it does work well.

I also welcome the idea of a few Italian engines into the consideration process for “Spec-Approval” in our “GT Spec” class. Indeed many may have a slightly higher purchase price, but they are typically very high quality products and over the “long-run” could save a “GT Spec” class racer a lot of money too.

Any new engines must be tested, manufacturer’s claims or pricing is not the deciding factor for “Spec” approval for our events, real-world race track testing is a much more accurate approach.

Novarossi has a great racing reputation and they are known for hi-quality too. If Novarossi has an engine that has similar power-output levels as the OS .21 VG, being used now, it should consider it too. It they could help with the promotions of our "GT Spec", it would also help a lot too.

The main thing is to make sure that the engine power levels are as close to equal as possible. None of us want to see our “GT Spec” class turn into an “Open” class, because the “GT Open” class already exists for us now.

Last edited by Jspeed; 04-29-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #3351
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
Zoot .... where did you pick up the body? Let me know how it works. We have a work day to set up our track this weekend and first "Race" day on Sunday, but since I agreed to help dirrect the crew, I probably will not get much racing done this weekend. But just wait for the 16th!!!

Hey, you might think about coming over, as we are talking about doing a practice day on the 15th and race on the 16th. Getting ready for Nitro Nats in Lincoln (we have about the same layout, so good practice).

Mark
A LHS... South Valley Hobbies got two and I had one in my hands moments later...

I will see how the newly acquired X runs for me. I loaned the R to another local to run against me.... Shows that I am not the sharpest tack in the box...

Are you in Denver? Co Springs? Help this old and rusty brain remember where your track is. I may be able to swing it...

Bill
Old 04-29-2010, 02:00 PM   #3352
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
A LHS... South Valley Hobbies got two and I had one in my hands moments later...

I will see how the newly acquired X runs for me. I loaned the R to another local to run against me.... Shows that I am not the sharpest tack in the box...

Are you in Denver? Co Springs? Help this old and rusty brain remember where your track is. I may be able to swing it...

Bill
I actually live in FC, Raced with MARCAR in the Springs, but helped start the CORRC club in Denver. So the track is in Denver.

Mark
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #3353
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Novarossis' equivalent to the O.S. .21VG

The Novarossi N21R-BF:

Specifications:
Displacement: 3.48
Maximum power: 2.00 hp
R.P.M. (M.P.): 28,000 rpm
Practical Range: 6,000 - 32,800 rpm
Bore: 16.42 mm
Stroke: 16.42 mm
Ports: 3
Piston type: Die-cast
Crankshaft: 13mm
Crankshaft Type: SG
Glow Plug Type: Standard
Exhaust Type: Rear
Carburetor: 8mm
Type: Slide
Material: Aluminum alloy
Adjustment: Single
Timmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:22 PM   #3354
Tech Regular

Yes I was looking at that motor it sells for $180 at a main.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #3355
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmo View Post
Novarossis' equivalent to the O.S. .21VG

The Novarossi N21R-BF:

Specifications:
Displacement: 3.48
Maximum power: 2.00 hp
R.P.M. (M.P.): 28,000 rpm
Practical Range: 6,000 - 32,800 rpm
Bore: 16.42 mm
Stroke: 16.42 mm
Ports: 3
Piston type: Die-cast
Crankshaft: 13mm
Crankshaft Type: SG
Glow Plug Type: Standard
Exhaust Type: Rear
Carburetor: 8mm
Type: Slide
Material: Aluminum alloy
Adjustment: Single
That motor is not made any more. Check www.novarossi.it

The list I posted before contained current 3 & 5 port Nova motors. (N21-3T, N21-5T, S21P3XL, S21P5XLT) 3 ports are about $219 and 5 ports are about $249. High quality, low cost.

info@desotoracing.com, www.serpentamerica.com
jdesoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:40 AM   #3356
Tech Regular

A-Main sells the s21p5xlt for 254.99.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #3357
Tech Regular

N21B09/RT is the one I was looking at for $184.99. It looks like a match for the VG
Old 04-30-2010, 07:20 AM   #3358
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
All of this is being taken into consideration. There are now a ton of engines in the .21 to .28 range to consider now from all types of manufacturers. Again, lists are being compiled and comparison evaluations are being done to ensure that the new engine listing for the Spec class will be fair across the board. Be patient, a new spec engine listing will be forthcoming soon.
It hard to be Patient. Our racing season is starting We will run with the list we have til next year. It would be foolish to change rules whenever someone gets a bug up their but.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #3359
Tech Adept

Anybody looking for a p5xlt let me know. I have them cheaper than amain. That is a great motor to run in spec class.
813-920-0428
Eperform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #3360
Suspended

The Ipanema Warrior bodies are now available at www.maxvelocityracing.comBodies are in stock ready to ship
Attached Thumbnails
GT class--buggy-based on road!-dsc_2866.jpg  
GT Speed Freak is offline   Reply With Quote