R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-26-2010, 04:36 AM   #3166
Tech Fanatic

I agree - Picco engines run strong and they're reasonably priced, although I'm not sure they're quite up to pace in the on-road segment. The buggy engines, which are well suited to these cars due to weight, have very good bottom end for strong acceleration. I already have a selection of OS, Orion/Sirio, and Novarrossi to chose from, but I'll have to check out one of the latest Picco engines this season. I like the way they run.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:05 AM   #3167
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I agree - Picco engines run strong and they're reasonably priced, although I'm not sure they're quite up to pace in the on-road segment. The buggy engines, which are well suited to these cars due to weight, have very good bottom end for strong acceleration. I already have a selection of OS, Orion/Sirio, and Novarrossi to chose from, but I'll have to check out one of the latest Picco engines this season. I like the way they run.
Actually the JL is not made by Picco...it is made by Force...... it is a clone to the RB K9..... has a smoother powerband then a Picco, less bottom but more top....I sell a full mod version with a fitted piston for $250.00 or a mild mod with fitted piston for $210.00 ...with the fitted piston they almost need zero breakin..... these engines are actually really good ! I would never have though a Force could be so potent.....
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:43 AM   #3168
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Jeff,

Agree with you in 90% bro.

My "doubts" :

- Even with the higher mark of US$ 250 for a SPEC engine, will be a LIST of engines ?, wich criteria will be used to select ?, i would prefer only the pricing mark.

- For OPEN Class, i still would limit the usage of engines i dont know by money ? (US$ 450 ?) or by CLASS (only offroad). I do agree that a OPEN class its to show the best of the best and try to crossing limits, but ONROAD engines open a wallet war that personally i dont like, specially on this great GT Class.

just my 2 cents !!

cya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
+1

Here's some more rules that Ipanema Sports GT racing events will follow.

Engines Spec Class

1. Spec, 5 port max, as close in performance & pricing as possible. .21 & .28 only.
2. Any header/pipe.
3 Clutches, buggy type shoe design, non-adjustable only.
pull & non-pull start OK
5. Street price up to $250 USD, available from hobby shops or on-line.
4. List of approved "tech-able" engines, no internal mods permitted

Engines Open Class
1.Anything!

Transmissions Spec & Open
1. 1 or 2 speed units

Diffs Spec & Open
1. Spec: No TCD or Locking
2. Open: Anything

Tires Spec & Open
1. Commercially available rubber tires only.

Bodies Spec & Open

1. Must look like a real street car or one that could be legal street driven and registered for street use use real life; not just Licenced copies or "trailer queens". (There is an aftermarket industry that has been helping to support the GT class racers right now. PF8, Warrior..)
2. Engines can not protrude from body. (no "bubble" engine covers, lol)

Electronics Spec & Open

1. Anything you want,except no "Drift Boxes" or "Electronic Gyro-Assist" controls.

Chassis Material, Weight Spec & Open

1. Both Spec & Open Classes: 7 lbs- 4oz US or Equal Gram dry weight with body in.
2. Spec class: No Carbon lower chassis plates.
3. Open class = OK to use Carbon lower plates.

That's it, lets go GT racing............ again!

E-Mail : pato_concha@yahoo.com
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:48 AM   #3169
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Where can I find more info on these engines? I would also like some info on the straight cut gears SteveP.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:06 AM   #3170
Tech Elite

The selection of "Spec" engines should not just be about price, the engines on the approved list should be close in power/performance. It does NOT serves the "Spec" class to allow an engine that totally "blows away" the RTR engine that is "standard" in an RTR car.

If a racer shows up to a race with an RTR powered engine and is way under-powered it would put that racer at a serious disadvantage. This would force the racer to have to spend more money to be competitive, thus killing the whole "Spec" concept & spirit that has allowed the class to grow.

That's why I say the engines should be close in power/performance. A researched "Approved engine list" is manditory, or the class will fail.

As far as "Open" class engines, no restrictions should exist.

While I couldn't dedicate much of any time running my "Open" class car during our Championship event in Homestead, those that were at the track on Saturday night might have seen or heard my Sirio CL7R powered Blackhawk Warrior SR running.

It was super fast & fun to drive. This is the true essence of GT Open class racing. Ipanema Sports will never limit engine selections in the GT Open class
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:02 AM   #3171
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
The selection of "Spec" engines should not just be about price, the engines on the approved list should be close in power/performance. It does NOT serves the "Spec" class to allow an engine that totally "blows away" the RTR engine that is "standard" in an RTR car.

If a racer shows up to a race with an RTR powered engine and is way under-powered it would put that racer at a serious disadvantage. This would force the racer to have to spend more money to be competitive, thus killing the whole "Spec" concept & spirit that has allowed the class to grow.

That's why I say the engines should be close in power/performance. A researched "Approved engine list" is manditory, or the class will fail.

While I couldn't dedicate much of any time running my "Open" class car during our Championship event in Homestead, those that were at the track on Saturday night might have seen or heard my Sirio CL7R powered Blackhawk Warrior SR running.

It was super fast & fun to drive. This is the true essence of GT Open class racing. Ipanema Sports will never limit engine selections in the GT Open class

"Bravo"..
Well said Jspeed.Perfect..
Timmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #3172
Tech Elite

Tim, thanks, it just makes sense, price alone leaves too much to chance and "wiggle-room"

Victor, checking on airfare now.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #3173
Tech Elite

If you fellow racers need to stretch your legs next month.There's a race in Texas called the Texas Biggie. Apr 23 - 25 / Texas Biggie - SWCS #2 @ RCRCNT-Rendon, TX we will be attending. Just an idea
Old 03-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #3174
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Still only 99% agree man !! lol !!

I just dont see big wallet onroad engines on our class, will end killing it ... but its just my opinion,

cya !

Pato Concha
Chile - Southamerica

Quote:

Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:41 AM   #3175
Tech Elite

You gotta factor in the FUN, cause no fun no race. I like real car bodies in the purposed rules.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #3176
Tech Elite

Pato, No limits on engines in "Open" class is how Ipanema rolls.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:09 AM   #3177
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit-racer View Post
You gotta factor in the FUN, cause no fun no race. I like real car bodies in the purposed rules.
Thats fine & dandy, but are you suggesting to screw Dale at ProtoForm's PF8 or my Ipanema Blackhawk Warrior bodies that racers are using now?

Thats kinda stupid & a very ungratefull rule against the 2 companies that have worked hard to help grow this class. Both PF8 & Warriors look like cars that could be street driven.

What none of us GT racers want to see is a bunch of "door-stops" ruin our classes. We've all done a great job from keeping that from happening without any "devine intervention" from any sanctioning bodies.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #3178
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:

As a "spectator" I totally agree with this. Now I will butt out...
Old 03-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #3179
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Thats fine & dandy, but are you suggesting to screw Dale at ProtoForm's PF8 or my Ipanema Blackhawk Warrior bodies that racers are using now?

Thats kinda stupid & a very ungratefull rule against the 2 companies that have worked hard to help grow this class. Both PF8 & Warriors look like cars that could be street driven.

What none of us GT racers want to see is a bunch of "door-stops" ruin our classes. We've all done a great job from keeping that from happening without any "devine intervention" from any sanctioning bodies.
Easy, Jspeed, easy. Pit-racer is one of the guys spearheading IGT racing south of me in Austin, TX. I have been trying to get it going here in Texas the last year plus and am glad that there are some dedicated guys running in my state now (after a failed attempt by me last year). Pit-racer is on our side. Like Steve P said, it is hard for a class like this to flourish when you have so many r/c snobs populating this hobby/sport. Let us GT racers not fall into that category!!
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:22 AM   #3180
Tech Elite

Would you please be civil. I was only offering my opinion, last I remember is that we have a right to free speech in the USA. Please leave it at that and I have been racing 752 yrs. Thanks JLock