Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ALMS FAN
Let me first thank Jeff and all the guys at the Hometead Track for putting on a great race

Does anyone know where all the video that was taken at the GT Race will show up?????

Steve M
MARYLAND
Steve, the DVD should be out in about 1 1/2 months from what Paul told us in post 3088. Check on his website www.maxvelocityracing.com for more info.

Glad you had a good time in Homestead!
Old 03-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Doug
Old 03-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Jspeed;7184947]
Originally Posted by Timmo
Steve,
I apologize for my inconsiderate attitude towards this.I'm sure you have the best interest for this class.I will keep out of this discussion,but please keep the rules as simple as possible.

Best Regards,
Tim PhanidasakQUOTE]

Tim,

I have 100% total faith in Steve Pond, he is a cornerstone of our GT classes, our largest supporter, dedicated advocate for the GT and a good friend.

We are all very lucky to have Steve in our corner.

Thanks!
I feel alot better,thanks.

Originally Posted by Doug M
Tim, you raced and already have cars for this class. You have every right to express your opinions, whether I or anyone else agrees with you. This is a public forum for people who may not agree on everything. Do not be intimidated by a negative post about your opinions. I hope you continue to race and express yourself.
Thank you Doug,it's a pleasure having you as a friend.
Homestead RC speedway rocks!!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Timmo
Steve,
I apologize for my inconsiderate attitude towards this.I'm sure you have the best interest for this class.I will keep out of this discussion,but please keep the rules as simple as possible.
Fair enough Tim. Your reply shows me that the judgment of others about your character is correct. I probably had my fill of ROAR haters for the day and responded strongly as a result, so for that I apologize. We have some good guys that are trying to look our for the best interests of you guys and for the health of the class. I'll do my best to create some common sense rules that are consistent with keeping it cheap and fun.

I own and race GT cars. Does that mean I can have an opinion too?
Old 03-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tabushi
Joaquin,

Just a question ... in your opinion, which would be the ideal way to manage this class in the future ?, as you pointed out, there is such fine line between SPEC and OPEN.

This class its very fun and competitive, at a fraction of the cost that the 1/10 nitro or 1/8 nitro onroad classes ask to be competitive.

Now, on engine department, how you see it ?. 90% of the GT guys race with .21 offroad engines, that even when using high end ones, are very cheap compared to .21 1/8 onroad engines, and as far as i know faster guys at event were using onroad engines ... this lead me to think ... GT Class will stay low budget racing or will slowly start to turn into high end pockets racing ?

Hope to see more international events for this class of racing, cya !
Holla Pato,

Sorry for my late reply. I'm at the ROAR Carpet Nats until Sunday and have limited time.

My quick thoughts are:

Spec

$200 or less engines (street price)
$350 or less chassis
8 lbs minimum weight to prevent the expensive upgrades
2 tire sets per event: 1 set for qualy & 1 for the main

Open

Open engines
Open chassis & upgrades
7 lbs min weight

Rules for both:

rubber tires only
bodies must strongly look like a real car
Old 03-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SteveP
I can assume by your user name that you're his father. Nothing I posted was to take anything away from your son or from Novarossi. It was to give credit to everyone else who contributed to, or did well in the event. Your son, who turned in a great performance, had ample and EXCLUSIVE promotion in the press release that was published on RedRC, to the exclusion of the event organizers and the the other drivers who also turned in spectacular performances in the spec class like Paul Roberts, who won the Spec class, David Ortiz who TQed the class, Omar Horta who finished second and Victor Babani (score one for us old guys) who took the final spot on the podium. Victor is one of the biggest dealers in the world for GT cars and runs a very successful program in Mexico, and he brought a bunch of his crew to support this event, all sporting custom-made shirts for Team Mexico. All of these details were left out of the press release that was sent to RedRC. I'll assume that you provided the information or possibly sent the press release yourself given how one-sided it was. This event, however, is larger than you and your son, so it's fitting that a number of other people enjoy some recognition for their accomplishments. My post was to draw attention to these people that were left out of the RedRC story - to "set the story straight" as you implied.

As I understand it, Paul put his graphite shock towers and radio plate on his car. Not exactly a high-dollar machine. That wasn't to take credit away from your son, but to point out what a significant accomplishment it is to go faster than the open class winner, with less engine. I can't help that you read it that way and perhaps you're being a little cynical or selfish. I imagine how the press release would have read if your son did the exact same thing. The bottom line is, he got ample credit for his accomplishments on RedRC, I was simply giving recognition to everyone else that was left out of that story. It's that simple. Congrats to both of you for your victory, and to all the other drivers who did well and had fun. But most of all, congrats to Jeff and Doug for pulling off a great event with a skeleton crew.
Steve,

I'm not responsible for what RedRC publishes about an event. That is not my job. It seems you complain but did/do nothing to publish a report. If you are so concerned then you should have taken the time to publish a report with results...

I have only said positive things about all the racers that attended the event regardless of the class they race. I'll continue the positive and offer my support and help to promote this class.

Joaquin
Old 03-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Tech Regular

I would be in favor of a more reasonable limit on engines even in the open class. It stands to reason that you wouldn't really want to encourage the use of $600 to $800 engines when the cars are only $400 to $500. With the limited staff, I'm sure it was all that Jeff could do to leave it open and avoid having to tech the cars, but perhaps future events can change. As soon as the pro racers and teams become involved, the life and death of the class usually happens much quicker. I'd like to see it stay around for a while and learn from our (the entire hobby) past mistakes.
We need to be careful here. Example, which is better?

$120 engine that last 1 gallon or a $200-250 that last 5-10 gallons?

I personally saw many of the $120 engine blow up during the 3 days of racing. We need to make sure that people have a choice and that the better less costly engine is not excluded by rules that don't take the 'life cycle cost of ownership or operation' into effect.

Also, the open class should not be limited. Are we going to limit other add ons? Radios? We shouldn't. Some one in the open class should be able to run whatever engine, radio, carbon parts... that they want. That's why its called the 'Open' class.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Tech Addict

Talking Blue Torque Rod help

Does anyone have or know the part #s for the Kyo BLUE Speacial Torque rods for the GT2. Wish to upgrade the stock rods with these. I know A Main has for both F/R but just want to make sure before I order them with the parts needed to change the stock steering linkage from the servo horn to servo saver. Also hoping if someone knows the part #s for that as well.

Thanks again.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tabushi
Im not an engine guru, but "commercially availables engines" are clearly created under a concept ... ONROAD or OFFROAD. So differentiation would be natural.

For SPEC, i think a limit of "commercial pricing" would be enough, let say, engines under US$ 200 or so ... i do think Jeff way for this event in spec was good. Stock RTR engines + some extra low budget ones approved under a list.

This kind of cars :

... are intended for using .21 high reving ONROAD engines, but our cars :

... NOT.

If i want to race high reving and "high dollars" .21 onroad engines, i would buy a 1/8th onrad car as Mugen MRX4, Serpent 966 or Kyosho Evolva ...

In my opinion, this is an important separation to be made, specially in order into not transform the GT Class on a WALLET RACE.

anyway, just my 2 cents ...

cya !!
We should not exclude on-road engines. That would be a mistake. On-road engine are not all expensive. For example, Novarossi and Picco makes on-road engines staring at or under $200. The powerband of on-road engines fits these cars perfectly.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by vbabani
We here in Mexico will mantain a low cost class as it is now. so we will be on the Spec Side, otherwise the car will cost more than an EVOLVA and will not perform as we spect.

I will post our rules for our 2010 championship later this week i will try to translate them becuse they are in spanish, but basically is to keep our cars as stock as possible.

We haven't tried many motors but i can tell you the the stock engine form the IGT works fine for several races but its wear is very fast so instead of buying the parts to reconstruct the motor we upgrade to the O.S. .21VG engine, it runs cooler, faster, its more reliable. and its cheap, we can get the motor in Mexico for around $240 US dlls.

In Mexico we don`t have as many choices like the Americans or Asian guys, so we must focus on one product.

We have been racing the car now for almost 3 years in a row, and i can tell taht the class is perfect in many ways. and its because

The car is not expensive
the maintenance is minimal (depends on the driver)
all the cars have the same things so the class is flat, what counts is driving skills and setup
the cars looks very nice on the track and considering that the car is a heavy weight and its very durable an tough.

in this race at homestead we watch the open class closely and the cars where really fast but at what cost, the novarossi engine cost around 600 dlls in the US and its only one second faster than David Ortiz using the O.S. .21 engine.

We need to focus in order to get a very nice class, very competitive and fun to do and of course make it very simple so new hobbyist around the globe can enter the amazing world of Inferno GT Racing.
Exactly, for $200-250 you can get an affordable and high quality engine from several manufacturers. The Spec class should use $250 as a limit.

On the other hand, we should allow open to run better engines. They should also be allowed to upgrade their cars. People, clubs... can pick the class they want. Both will find support.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

+1

Here's some more rules that Ipanema Sports GT racing events will follow.

Engines Spec Class

1. Spec, 5 port max, as close in performance & pricing as possible. .21 & .28 only.
2. Any header/pipe.
3 Clutches, buggy type shoe design, non-adjustable only.
pull & non-pull start OK
5. Street price up to $250 USD, available from hobby shops or on-line.
4. List of approved "tech-able" engines, no internal mods permitted

Engines Open Class
1.Anything!

Transmissions Spec & Open
1. 1 or 2 speed units

Diffs Spec & Open
1. Spec: No TCD or Locking
2. Open: Anything

Tires Spec & Open
1. Commercially available rubber tires only.

Bodies Spec & Open

1. Must look like a real street car or one that could be legal street driven and registered for street use use real life; not just Licenced copies or "trailer queens". (There is an aftermarket industry that has been helping to support the GT class racers right now. PF8, Warrior..)
2. Engines can not protrude from body. (no "bubble" engine covers, lol)

Electronics Spec & Open

1. Anything you want,except no "Drift Boxes" or "Electronic Gyro-Assist" controls.

Chassis Material, Weight Spec & Open

1. Both Spec & Open Classes: 7 lbs- 4oz US or Equal Gram dry weight with body in.
2. Spec class: No Carbon lower chassis plates.
3. Open class = OK to use Carbon lower plates.

That's it, lets go GT racing............ again!
Old 03-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
+1

Here's some more rules that Ipanema Sports GT racing events will follow.

Engines Spec Class

1. Spec, 5 port max, as close in performance & pricing as possible. .21 & .28 only.
2. Any header/pipe.
3 Clutches, buggy type shoe design, non-adjustable only.
pull & non-pull start OK
5. Street price up to $250 USD, available from hobby shops or on-line.
4. List of approved "tech-able" engines, no internal mods permitted

Engines Open Class
1.Anything!

Transmissions Spec & Open
1. 1 or 2 speed units

Diffs Spec & Open
1. Spec: No TCD or Locking
2. Open: Anything

Tires Spec & Open
1. Commercially available rubber tires only.

Bodies Spec & Open

1. Must look like a real street car or one that could be legal street driven and registered for street use use real life; not just Licenced copies or "trailer queens". (There is an aftermarket industry that has been helping to support the GT class racers right now. PF8, Warrior..)
2. Engines can not protrude from body. (no "bubble" engine covers, lol)

Electronics Spec & Open

1. Anything you want,except no "Drift Boxes" or "Electronic Gyro-Assist" controls.

Chassis Material, Weight Spec & Open

1. Both Spec & Open Classes: 7 lbs- 4oz US or Equal Gram dry weight with body in.
2. Spec class: No Carbon lower chassis plates.
3. Open class = OK to use Carbon lower plates.

That's it, lets go GT racing............ again!
+1 Jeff... increasing the Spec class to $250 is a brilliant idea. It adds a lot more .21s into the mix!
Old 03-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I own and race GT cars. Does that mean I can have an opinion too?
Steve,

Where in California do you race GT cars? Im in Los Angeles and SV Speedway closed down, CP closed down and I'm left with GLARC, which is fine and all, but its not a permanent track where I can practice.. and practice is what I need a lot of!
Old 03-26-2010, 04:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Raman, I've run the GT cars at Crystal Park, but now it's closed as well. I have a GT2 that's got most of the drivetrain options like the straight cut gears, universals, etc. I also have the update shocks and aluminum shock towers. For now I'm running the stock engine, but I have a few choices as to what I'll stuff in there next. There's a shiny new JP Novarossi engine that I've been thinking about putting in there, but I've been too busy with work to stuff it in there. It's warming up quite well, so I'm going to see if there's a club here in Orange County or Northern San Diego County that runs them on a regular basis. Perhaps we can both look for a permanent track, because I could use a little more practice myself.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

guys you should check out the OFNA JL .21's for your cars.... it fits right into the budget and IMO will privide likely stronger performance then the other motors your currently running..... these are very powerful budget .21's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.