R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-24-2007, 07:53 PM   #226
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ESWLFSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHETTOTEACHER View Post
Which ones are the medium compound? 45 shore or 55 shore Kyosho tires?
55s

Radio and brake disc can be changed but I think thats it. There are some class rules posted earlier in this thread.
ESWLFSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:02 PM   #227
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Only for the Vegas race:

Any 1/8th buggy based chassis
Any .28 or smaller engine
Rubber tires (no foams)
Sedan based body

If there is enough of a turnout, later races will adopt the more universal class configurations and more specific rules per other organizations. We just want to run on the big track and have fun in the meantime. I am already racing in a very controlled class (1/10th) ... this is more of a 'let's see who will play' class... and as I have mentioned before.... the 'rules' are ripe for exploitation.... But it will all be mute if we don't show Rich that we want to run them ..... get those registrations in ....
Zootcapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 02:23 AM   #228
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

As bill said, this class is just to have fun with while we are there.

Honestly, if it weren't for IGt class here in Utah, I would probably not even be doing onroad at all.

Mine is "hopped" up I guess you can say, but it really is not that big of a difference in performance. These cars are more driver talent oriented.

There are 5 or so of us guys from utah who are coming down. My registration will be in the mail day after christmas.

We just all have and thought it would be a blast to open these up on a big track since we'd already be there with our 10th scales.

The main upgrade is getting rubber for them.

A few minor, but not essentials, would be brake pads, air filter (stock is kinda restrictive), and maybe a steering servo.

And if its just the Ferrari body you are after.... Amain has them in stock for $55.
Kyosho Inferno GT RB C5 .21
Traxxass Slash.
Tamyia TT-01
Associated 18R
trt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 03:56 AM   #229
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

The Ferrari has the better gearing that is why I was looking for it, but thanks for the info.

I am set for electronics upgrades. I have plenty of servos and a few extra spektrum receivers around. I may get a set of the medium Kyosho slicks and maybe a set of medial pro tires, if I can find the right hardness. Brake pads and probably turnbuckles. Air filter will be an easy one also. I am going to see what Kyosho has on Wednesday and go from there.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:22 AM   #230
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
The Ferrari has the better gearing that is why I was looking for it, but thanks for the info.

I am set for electronics upgrades. I have plenty of servos and a few extra spektrum receivers around. I may get a set of the medium Kyosho slicks and maybe a set of medial pro tires, if I can find the right hardness. Brake pads and probably turnbuckles. Air filter will be an easy one also. I am going to see what Kyosho has on Wednesday and go from there.
Scott, I just checked the Kyosho site and they list the same gear ratio for all of the IGT cars. Am I missing something?

Lee
Winner's Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:59 AM   #231
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
There has been a push for years to attract new racers into the racing niche of the hobby. As most of us can attest, nitro cars attract more spectators to the track than the electric cars. People tend to gravitate to the sounds of the nitro cars and love to hear them shift gears and fly down straight-aways. With that said, I, being a long-time nitro racer, love the idea of an inexpensive, spec-type, entry-level class if it means getting more folks into the racing niche. The cars are big, durable, and somewhat easy to drive. I also love the rules in regards to a box-stock spec class (levels the playing field making driving and setup the key) and a SS class (for the experienced racer that likes the class but not in the same league as the beginner driver). The one thing that kills me about conversations like this are the racers that come in very negative with the “been there, done that”, “we have enough classes, why dilute the racing pool more”, or “it will never work” attitudes. Some of these type of guys forget that when they started racing, many of the experienced guys back then cursed under their breathes when your newbie butt was practicing/running on the track, wondering if you were going to take them out due to your lack of driving skills. I see the IGT class as a way for the newbie to get into nitro and get his feet wet, hopefully learning and developing skills along the way, and then graduating to the other classes if that is what they want to do. Also, it keeps them out of the way of the more experienced racers while the newbie is developing his driving skills. However, I see too many elitists that are only concerned with themselves and their clique’s self-interests at the expense of the hobby and racing in particular. The way I see it, today’s spectators are tomorrow’s racers. If you have 50 spectators watch your club races each time you run and you can attract 5-10 of them during the year into buying a car and coming out to race, then you are accomplishing the desired goal. These newbies have friends that they might be able to convince one into buying gear and coming out to race as well. I, for one, am tired of the “status-quo” racer that is satisfied with running with his clique and damn everyone else. It is this type of attitude that is killing on-road racing in many areas of the country. Let’s roll with the IGT/DTM (not forgetting OFNA which also has an equivalent car) and see what happens. If the class dies off due to non-participation by the newbie, then so be it. But we won’t know if it will work if we don’t give it a chance. Quit being a class snob (directed more toward the 1/8th scale on-road guys who think their class is the most important one in the r/c world and the r/c world revolves around them). What newbie has $1500 to $2000 to burn getting into the high-end 1/8th scale car that can only be run on a specific, traction-prepped surface when they can buy one that is less fragile, more affordable, and can be run almost anywhere (bash with it in between organized racing).

Juan
Extremely well said!!!!!
genesisG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 10:43 AM   #232
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winner's Circle View Post
Scott, I just checked the Kyosho site and they list the same gear ratio for all of the IGT cars. Am I missing something?

Lee
Hey Mr. M!
The Ferrari has a different gearing. It has a better top end.

Also, can you get the Kyosho 55 shore tires for me instead of the 45?
Old 12-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #233
Tech Elite

Down here at SS Speedway in Tampa Florida we’re having a blast racing the Kyosho Inferno GT cars.

We’re club racing them every weekend since our December 1 “Kyosho Nitrofest” event. The cars are getting faster each time out.

We have 9 guys that are all working on set-ups and we’re getting them to run lap times within 2 to 3 seconds of 200mm nitro sedans. My car currently holds the SS Speedway Kyosho Inferno GT “Spec” Class lap record of 15.655, most 200mm nitro sedans are in the 13 to 14 second lap zone, with the exception of a few “Team” racers that have managed to break into the 12’s.

The factory installed .28 engine in stock form is plenty fast for the IGT. I run mine with Werks Racing 16% nitro fuel, with 1 shim removed and it’s a powerhouse. I’ve gone thru 3 gallons of Werks fuel with the stock engine and my temps are always in the 230 to 260 degree range. Yes those numbers may be scary for some, but so far, my engine is fine. It must be the lubrication properties of the Werks Racing fuel.

The key to getting these IGT cars fast around the track is all in the tires, set-up & driver control. At this point, more HP is really a waist of time and money.

As far as the updated gearing is concerned, the 15/19 clutch bell gear set is available with most new cars now. The updated gear set comes in all “small box” IGT cars. The “large box” cars come with the 14/17 gears and they run very well too, I may try them to see how much, if any difference is seen in my lap times.

On the topic of tires, we’re all using the Kyosho V-Slick 55 shore tires. They work very well and remain consistent for our 20 & 30 minute main events. I “lap” the inside if the rubber with 2 layers of “duct” tape to belt them and they hook up great. Since we’re all racing in the RC Pro Series “Kyosho IGT Spec” class rules, these tires do provide a level playing field for all.

Sorry about the long post, here is a copy of my fastest “set-up” to date.
Good luck and Merry Christmas to all!

Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #234
Tech Elite

I think I am going to order one of these tomorrow to race the Airtronics race. This looks like it will be fun for a while... as long as the rules stay pretty rigid. I think I am going to get a truggy also...
Old 12-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #235
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
I think I am going to order one of these tomorrow to race the Airtronics race. This looks like it will be fun for a while... as long as the rules stay pretty rigid. I think I am going to get a truggy also...
Hi Scott......Merry Christmas!

Do you or anyone else know what the tire life is on these cars? Is it a set a week?

I might have to get one too.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Flack; 12-25-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Ted Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 01:56 PM   #236
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Flack View Post
Hi Scott......Merry Christmas!

Do you or anyone else know what the tire life is on these cars? Is a set a week?

I might have to get one too.

Ted
To quote SGT Schulz (you are old enough to know Hogans Heroes).

"I know nothing"
Old 12-25-2007, 03:52 PM   #237
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHETTOTEACHER View Post
Hey Mr. M!
The Ferrari has a different gearing. It has a better top end.

Also, can you get the Kyosho 55 shore tires for me instead of the 45?
Merry Christmas Mr. Simmons!! 55 tires it is!

Take a look at the Kyosho site for a comparison of gear ratios. I am almost certain that all the IGT cars are the same.

Lee
Winner's Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 04:12 PM   #238
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winner's Circle View Post
Merry Christmas Mr. Simmons!! 55 tires it is!

Take a look at the Kyosho site for a comparison of gear ratios. I am almost certain that all the IGT cars are the same.

Lee
All the gearing is not the same. The Ferrari is the newest version of the IGT. It has different gearing out of the box. I spoke to Kyosho on Thursday and they told me this. I believe that the new kits as they come in will have the updated stuff.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:34 PM   #239
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

From 5 months ago.

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/s...postcount=1186

So it's very possible to find other models with the upgraded gears. (its only a clutch bell and pinions)

And ultimate hobbies has the Ferrari in stock (according to there website)
Ed Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:08 PM   #240
Tech Adept

Thumbs up my gtp class on-road i hope i can use in the '08 MWS

nitrothugg is offline   Reply With Quote