Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
GT class--buggy-based on road! >

GT class--buggy-based on road!

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Old 11-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BiggDogg33
What I think he's trying to say is that how come the GT2 can run with the GT1's and the DM1spec but the DM1 1/7th scale cant, when the GT2 is a few mm short from the 1/7th scale DM1, being though that the word was that ofna made the DM-1spec to race with the IGT1's and the GT2's were made to race against the DM1 1/7th scale due to the new sizes from each company, that should make a little since!!! or better yet let all the GT class cars just race each other no-matter what dont single out one car. so if they only allow the GT2 and the GT1 and the DM1spec race each other so what the DM-1 1/7th scale is just for parking lots and bashing or are they suppose to race 1/5th scale!!!
biggdogg you are the only one i see to have some logical thinking about this gt class to many restriction can kill a class so folks lets have a open mind because 1/10 and 1/8 are here to stay and trying to be brand specific thats crazy i'm just dm-1 owner who wants to race
Old 11-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What I think he's trying to say is that how come the GT2 can run with the GT1's and the DM1spec but the DM1 1/7th scale cant, when the GT2 is a few mm short from the 1/7th scale DM1, being though that the word was that ofna made the DM-1spec to race with the IGT1's and the GT2's were made to race against the DM1 1/7th scale due to the new sizes from each company, that should make a little since!!! or better yet let all the GT class cars just race each other no-matter what dont single out one car. so if they only allow the GT2 and the GT1 and the DM1spec race each other so what the DM-1 1/7th scale is just for parking lots and bashing or are they suppose to race 1/5th scale!!!
If you own a DM-1 you are SOL, go run by yourself, us 1/8 scale guys don't like you and the 1/5 scale guys, well when we find some I will ask them. No one wants to play with you DM-1 owners, think you are so special that you guys can't obey the rules. If it isn't a kyohso, you can't play with us.... get the heck out of here you DM-1 owners... well actually we don't mind you DM-1 Spec owners but make sure you use the Kyosho engine .28 engine.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vadn1
If you own a DM-1 you are SOL, go run by yourself, us 1/8 scale guys don't like you and the 1/5 scale guys, well when we find some I will ask them. No one wants to play with you DM-1 owners, think you are so special that you guys can't obey the rules. If it isn't a kyohso, you can't play with us.... get the heck out of here you DM-1 owners... well actually we don't mind you DM-1 Spec owners but make sure you use the Kyosho engine .28 engine.

thats typical of someone who is afraid to open there mind you must live in a one room shack
Old 11-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tbo713
thats typical of someone who is afraid to open there mind you must live in a one room shack

TBO,
I ment it as a joke, you see the laughing faces after my post. I too own several DM-1's so I am in the same boat as you. It seems some racers are afraid of a car which is a little longer than the IGT2. I'm open minded, I prefer racing GT open class, I have been preching that since the discussion of GT class started. It doesnt matter to me who comes with the $800 engine, or $1000 sets of tires, or the $800 radio gear set up. I just want to race my car, run my 30 to 45 min main and do the best I can and most of all have fun.

I'm glad I'm racing this car in Houston, with open rules I have not heard of one complaint about too powerful of a motor or unfair advantage of foams and best of all the interest in the class is growing from week to week.

Last edited by vadn1; 11-16-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

The real deciding factor seems to be where you’re racing any of the GT cars.

Some places race a “Spec” class based on the IGT chassis because of rules that we’re adopted and yes, they are brand specific to Kyosho IGT cars. Limited mods are allowed, kind of an easy to tech the cars and it makes for very close racing; ala “IROC”. The great majority of organized “GT” racing in the USA and several countries around the world are based around this “IGT Spec” class concept.

Some tracks and/or races are open to all buggy based chassis regardless of manufacture, with little or no rules on mods to attract anyone with a GT car to race. This is certainly “the money war class”. Tech is light and almost anything goes. Hi-dollar engines, exhausts, clutches, foams or rubbers… a free for all. I bet the “Open” class cars are a ton of fun to drive, so I can understand where “Open” racers are coming from there.

Some Series programs, tracks & races seem to be trying to accomplish rules that are somewhere in between the two extremes. That's cool too.

Time will tell what types of rules develop over the next few months, there will need to be concessions from both sides of the GT arena, for it to attract & maintain the forward growth of “GT” racing.

It’s too bad that the 2 main GT car manufacturers/distributors didn’t seize the opportunity to work together over a year and a half ago when the “GT Spec” class concept was in it’s infancy and being developed.

Maybe racers of any of the “GT” chassis could have raced together everywhere in “Spec” & “Open” class without any of the bickering this whole 2008 race season.

But hey, hindsight is always “20/20” and everyone is a “Monday Morning Quarterback” these days too…lol

See ya'll at the races.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Jspeed,

Folks just don't get the fact that things can get out of hand with this Spec class if you start allowing different types/brands of cars and having too many cars with too many different specs (who is going to police it). When this class got started, I wanted to run the IGT Spec class (looked like tons of fun) so I bought the IGT car, plain and simple. I fear that this class will eventually get lost because when you start pushing the envelope with the cars, then it will be with the engines, the hop-ups, the custom parts that others can't get, tires that others can't get, etc, etc. This is how the "money war" gets started and you will then see the ones that can't afford to keep up eventually drop out, thus, killing the class in the long haul. Just my $0.02.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

Default just my 2 cents!!!

Originally Posted by JLock
Jspeed,

Folks just don't get the fact that things can get out of hand with this Spec class if you start allowing different types/brands of cars and having too many cars with too many different specs (who is going to police it). When this class got started, I wanted to run the IGT Spec class (looked like tons of fun) so I bought the IGT car, plain and simple. I fear that this class will eventually get lost because when you start pushing the envelope with the cars, then it will be with the engines, the hop-ups, the custom parts that others can't get, tires that others can't get, etc, etc. This is how the "money war" gets started and you will then see the ones that can't afford to keep up eventually drop out, thus, killing the class in the long haul. Just my $0.02.
Its alot of GT class racers out here who really love this class,and im one of them for sure,but honestly this how I feel for sure,and remember that this is my opinion only,I feel like there should be two classes for racing the GT's the open and the spec,nothing is wrong with that,but I feel like lets make it fair,by letting the IGT1 and the DM-1spec race together in either class spec or open only because the are close or same size,and let the IGT2's and the DM-1 1/7th scale race together since they are closer in size in either open or spec class, and that way everything is equal and if you buy a certain GT car you will know that you will have some competition to race against no-matter what, because if dont work this way then what about the people who buys DM-1's 1/7th scale and everybody else have IGT1,IGT2 and the DM-1spec, they will be racing against each other,and thats fine in all,but one of the purpose of racing is to see what company has the better product, having an ofna car beating another ofna car isnt so great really it will just show how good the driver can drive and thats it,but having an ofna car beating an kyosho is and sounds much better,maybe because the car setup better or the creation is better,I own 2 IGT1's one for spec and one for open,and I also own the GT2 but i didnt buy it to race against the gt1 or the dm-1spec i bought it to race against the DM-1 1/7th scale to give it some true pound per pound competition, not for its extended chasis, and why make the chasis bigger to still race with the smaller cars!!! My GT2 has every hopup on it thats available, shocks swaybars, etc... for open class but I wont enjoy racing it against the GT1 or dm-1spec but put me in there with the dm-1 1/7th scale and its on, because I feel like the race is equal rather its spec or open class!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

Default maybe the rules needs to be overlooked!!!

Originally Posted by Jspeed
The real deciding factor seems to be where you’re racing any of the GT cars.

Some places race a “Spec” class based on the IGT chassis because of rules that we’re adopted and yes, they are brand specific to Kyosho IGT cars. Limited mods are allowed, kind of an easy to tech the cars and it makes for very close racing; ala “IROC”. The great majority of organized “GT” racing in the USA and several countries around the world are based around this “IGT Spec” class concept.

Some tracks and/or races are open to all buggy based chassis regardless of manufacture, with little or no rules on mods to attract anyone with a GT car to race. This is certainly “the money war class”. Tech is light and almost anything goes. Hi-dollar engines, exhausts, clutches, foams or rubbers… a free for all. I bet the “Open” class cars are a ton of fun to drive, so I can understand where “Open” racers are coming from there.

Some Series programs, tracks & races seem to be trying to accomplish rules that are somewhere in between the two extremes. That's cool too.

Time will tell what types of rules develop over the next few months, there will need to be concessions from both sides of the GT arena, for it to attract & maintain the forward growth of “GT” racing.

It’s too bad that the 2 main GT car manufacturers/distributors didn’t seize the opportunity to work together over a year and a half ago when the “GT Spec” class concept was in it’s infancy and being developed.

Maybe racers of any of the “GT” chassis could have raced together everywhere in “Spec” & “Open” class without any of the bickering this whole 2008 race season.

But hey, hindsight is always “20/20” and everyone is a “Monday Morning Quarterback” these days too…lol

See ya'll at the races.
I understand what you are saying,but I feel like maybe the rules need to be review and up for discussion,where as though it dont hurt your pockets at all, by just letting the rules basically stay the same but just change the format a little about what cars should race against each other, but far as open and spec thats cool,but just let the GT2 and the DM-1 1/7th scale cars race together and the GT1's and the DM-1spec race together, so that there is competition for every car, and make the race still affordable and fun but balanced!!! far as car sizes!!! and without changing the rules to much everybody should be happy!!! so to say if I want to race against the bigger realistic styles cars ill either buy an GT2 or a DM-1 1/7th scale car or if I want to race the smaller realistic syle GT class ill buy a GT1 or DM-1spec!!! now really that sound fair!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

Real funny!!! Im glad you said you was joking because you probably wouldve really had some problems with this because you know how many people own DM-1's and I was thinking that maybe you was scared to run against a DM-1 with your IGT1 or 2 I hope thats not the case!!! But seriously lets try to get the GT class rather its spec or open popular like the on-road 1/8th and 1/10 scale class and lets work out these kinks to make sure this fun class continue to grow and stay fun!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Real funny!!! Im glad you said you was joking because you probably wouldve really had some problems with this because you know how many people own DM-1's and I was thinking that maybe you was scared to run against a DM-1 with your IGT1 or 2 I hope thats not the case!!! But seriously lets try to get the GT class rather its spec or open popular like the on-road 1/8th and 1/10 scale class and lets work out these kinks to make sure this fun class continue to grow and stay fun!!!
Biggdogg,
....I run a DM-1 myself so no IGT here....
Old 11-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Jspeed,

JLock,
Feel pretty much the same way as you. Planning on traveling a little next year, racing at facilities running “IGT Spec” events only, also thinking of checking out Mexico too.

What’s going to happen when the next manufacturer slaps a “Spec” sticker on an RTR box with a 7 port engine and front spool in their car?

Can hear it now?…. Why can’t I run my do-wa ditti “Spec” car or their “Ditty V03 Spec Kit” chassis?

But it says "Spec" in the box when I bought it, you guys just want to be "brand specific".
Old 11-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Biggdogg,
....I run a DM-1 myself so no IGT here....
Vad,

Not trying to rag on ya or bash on your brand OK, but how many races do you think you missed this year in Florida because you didn't get an IGT car to race in the "Spec" class back in November of 07?

"GT Open" is cool & all, but we raced a lot of very cool IGT club races & events in 2008.. It was a very good year!

Good luck out in Texas, hope you get your "GT Open" class going strong.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Its alot of GT class racers out here who really love this class,and im one of them for sure,but honestly this how I feel for sure,and remember that this is my opinion only,I feel like there should be two classes for racing the GT's the open and the spec,nothing is wrong with that,but I feel like lets make it fair,by letting the IGT1 and the DM-1spec race together in either class spec or open only because the are close or same size,and let the IGT2's and the DM-1 1/7th scale race together since they are closer in size in either open or spec class.

My GT2 has every hopup on it thats available, shocks swaybars, etc... for open class but I wont enjoy racing it against the GT1 or dm-1spec but put me in there with the dm-1 1/7th scale and its on, because I feel like the race is equal rather its spec or open class!!!
2 things to think about:

A. Kyosho only offers the IGT1 on the Ferrari anymore and they may not do it forever, so eventually they'll be none in the Spec class.

B. The IGT2's length is not hardly a big deal, it has the same width too.

Anyone care to chime in on the weight, width & overall length of the 1/7 scale chassis?
Old 11-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Jspeed,

Barry (Bvoltz) allowed the IGT2 to race with the IGT1 at his Bass Pro Series races this year and no one had a problem with it. In fact, we found out that the IGT2 has better turn-in and cornering speed than the IGT1. The win I got over at Bvoltz' Big Chill race two weeks ago, the two cars I had to fight off for the win were IGT2 (I raced my IGT1). So, in my opinion, running the IGT/IGT2 together is not a problem.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Tech Regular

Jspeed,

Barry (Bvoltz) allowed the IGT2 to race with the IGT1 at his Bass Pro Series races this year and no one had a problem with it. In fact, we found out that the IGT2 has better turn-in and cornering speed than the IGT1. The win I got over at Bvoltz' Big Chill race two weeks ago, the two cars I had to fight off for the win were IGT2 (I raced my IGT1). So, in my opinion, running the IGT/IGT2 together is not a problem.
OF COURSE ITS NOT A PROBLEM WHEN YOU ALL JUST RACING AGAINST WHAT WORKS, DOWN IN FLORIDA BUT YOU ALL ARE BEING ONE SIDED ABOUT THE GT CLASS, ITS NOT ALL ABOUT KYOSHO BECAUSE KYOSHO ISNT THE ONLY COMPANY THAT MAKES GT CLASS CARS,IS IT THAT YOU ALL ARE TRULY SCARED OF THE COMPETITION OR SOMETHING, DOES OFNA CARS SCARE YOU GUYS OR DOES OFNA CREATION OF THE AWESOME DM-1 1/7TH SCALE CAR PUT A HURTING ON YOU GT1 GUYS THATS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE BECAUSE YOU ALL GONNA SAY HOW MANY RACES YOU MISSED OUT BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE A GT1 OR GT2,THATS EVIDENCE YOU ALL KNOW ARE NOT COMPETITIVE RACERS YOU ALL ARE COMPANY MEN OR KYOSHO SPONSORS OR SOMETHING, BUT THE SAID THING ABOUT IT IS I LOVE KYOSHO PRODUCTS FOR SURE BUT ANY GIVEN DAY ILL RACE A 1/7TH SCALE DM-1 WITH MY GT2 IN OPEN CLASS ANYDAY AND WONT HESITATE AT ALL AND NO-EXCUSES EITHER, AND ILL RACE MY 350Z GT1 IN SPEC CLASS TOO DOESNT MATTER BECAUSE IM NOT SCARE AND ITS ALL ABOUT BEING A MAN AND DOING WHAT MEN DO TAKE ON CHALLENGES, GT CLASS SHOULD JUST BE LIKE 1/10TH AND 1/8TH DIFFERENT CAR MAKERS GOING AGAINST DIFFERENT CARS MAKERS BRANDS, JUST LIKE ME I LIKE THE 1/10 AND 1/8TH MUGEN SEIKI CARS OVER THE KYOSHO RRR OR M3 EVOLVA BUT RATHER HAVE THE KYOSHO BUGGY AND TRUGGY AND GT CAR!!! PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU ALLS NEXT RACE I WOULD LOVE TO ATTEND TO SEE IF I CAN GET SOME ACTION WITH MY GT2 IF YOU ALL CAN DEAL WITH IT AND ILL RACE SPEC OR OPEN YOU ALL CHOOSE!!!! PLEASE!!! ESPECIALLY FOR JPEED AND JLOCK!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.