Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
GT class--buggy-based on road! >

GT class--buggy-based on road!

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Old 11-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by modhobby
Congrats on a great showing first time out with that car.

When you say rocketship engines, are you meaning the class was run where you can run whatever? I thought the GT2 class was a spec class or am I misunderstanding something?
At the Paris Memorial in Vegas there (all GT races held in Vegas for that matter) we have four simple rules:

.28 engine or smaller
buggy based chassis
no open wheel bodies
rubber or foam tires (if this really counts as a rule)

That was/is it.

In most parts of the country there are seperate stock and modified classes. When we suggested this class to Rich Taylor he let use suggest rules and we kept them simple for the fun of it and growth of the class. I want it clear that I am not complaining. I knew they would be faster and it was fun to see their interest in these beasts. I had fun being in the A main via bump-up with a stocker. Forcing the Pro's to use the stock engines would probably kill their interest. Forcing us mere mortals to buy high dollar engines would chase participants away. We all knew that there was possibility for a wide interpetation and application of the rules... we all knew that going in and consequently...there was no room for complaint. I hope that the factory guys keep their interest in this class. It was a great show.

NR and Piccos were common.

Last edited by Zootcapri; 12-15-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zootcapri
I just got back from Vegas. I won the B main and transferred to the A (11th) had some luck passing and was mid pack when the engine stalled. I may have run out of fuel. It had started to rain and a LOT of wheel spin which would have used more fuel... dunno.... The A main had mostly factory type drivers with rocketship engines. I ran the GT2 that I bought Friday afternoon. I was never on the pace of the top drivers... but the car was great and respectable.. stock (except for tires and electronics).

GT A Main
1. Paul Coleman
2. Jeffery Lin
3. Brian Thomas
Congrats on running your car and im happy that you are happy with the GT2,kyosho puts out great products and the GT cars that kyosho created are great just need little work to them to make them track ready,and when my audi GT2 first arrived to me I won the I-95 race at 301 raceway in maryland,and I was very happy too and thats when I realized what needed to be done to make the GT2 more outstanding and perform even better,so next year im gonna dump a nice some of money into my GT2 and race GT class and im sure I should be very happy indeed,but all who races GT class needs to come to 301 raceway and have a ball and this track is awesome and it will really tell you if your set-up is bout it bout it,and when you visit 301 raceway I guarantee you will experience a real racing feeling and wont want to leave at all,301 raceway has plenty of GT class racers that just loves competition and we will race too,so come on and have a fantastic race with your GT at 301 raceway in brandywine maryland!!! This track is set up for all classes and drivers to see where you driving and setup skills are really at!!!!!!! Hope to see all GT class drivers here next year!!!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Tech Adept

PLEASE POST ANY BIG RACES FOR THE GT CLASS BECAUSE I'M WILLING TO TRAVEL FOR THIS CLASS BUT I ONLY RUN THE 1/7 DM-1 SO ANY OPEN CLASS DROP LINE ON THIS SITE AND ALSO WE HAVE C-WHIT AS OUR DIRECTOR NOW THE CLASS HERE AT 301 RACEWAY SHOULD GROW WITH MORE BIG NAME RACERS SO COME ON OUT NEXT
Old 11-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Does anyone know of any 1:8 scale Drift tires that would fit on the IGT. It would be fun to mess around with every once in a while.

I have looked a little but didn't see anything. Don't want to break the bank but 20$ or less for a few sets of PVC tires wouldn't be bad.
Thanks
Ryan
Old 11-11-2008, 06:05 AM
Tech Master

Zootcapri, awesome!
Was Paul Coleman driving GT2 ? (I think he was at some point at least based on ofna.com race results)
Old 11-11-2008, 06:32 AM
Tech Addict

I think he was in one of the Ofnas.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Paul was running a car that he built himself using parts from various Kyosho cars and some parts he made himself. He used the Kyosho Audi body and GQ tires.

This was the 3rd race in Vegas to feature a GT class. The numbers have grown each time and the cars have gotten faster and easier to drive each time.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:51 AM
Tech Addict

Cool... a Kyosho GT-PC
Old 11-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Tech Addict

Garen, you would know more about the engines run in the GT A-Main... could you fill us in on what was run?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Default 1ST at Kissimmee's Forgass Race #3

RONNIE SETSER WINS FORGASS #3

DM1 SPEC
FORCE 28 w/PS
17mMOUNTED SLICK TIRES
PF8 BODY
TECH FUEL 30%

KISSIMMEE RACEWAY (One of the longest straight-aways in the Forgass Series Races)

This is another big win for Ofna, after making history at Miami Homestead Forgass #1, with a TQ and a WIN.
Fort Myers Forgass Race #2, taking 3rd
and now 1ST at Kissimmee's Forgass Race #3

This could not be possible without all of the support from Ofna.
You guys are the greatest.
This is only the beginning, we have finished 3 races on top and have 5 to go.
This is going to be a great ending of the year, with "Ofna Nitrofest 2008" December 13 & 14. (right around the corner) followed by the start of 2009 race season. with Ofna DM1's

Thank You Ofna,
Sincerely,
Ronnie Setser
Old 11-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Tech Adept

Good job Ronnie! Congrats on your win!!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

I don't know what each and every driver used, and I might not be 100% correct in the ones I think I know....
I think Paul used one of the Axial engines
Jeffrey and some or most of the OFNA guys used the Picco .28 motor
I used a very old Novarossi .21 on road that has been sitting in my pit bag for a few years.

This was my first race with the DM-1S and I have to say it is a very nice car. What I found to be very interesting was the qualifiying result of the top 4 cars, which had 3 OFNA and 1 Kyosho. All 4 cars were quite different from each other in setup/design/engine/modifications. The top 4 qualified within 3 seconds of each other. Brian in 4th kept the stock shock configuration in his car (pushrod front), while both Jeffrey and I drilled holes in the front tower and mounted the shocks in a conventional manner. I made other mods to the suspension as well. Paul's car was the most 'different' of the four with a mix of GT/GT2/STR and handemade parts. I used a .21 and I think the others used a .28. On the track all 4 cars performed nearly the same.

An another note, everyone ran foam tires, a majority of the drivers using the GQ foam tires. I lent my GT car to Mike Braun and he drove it into the A main. He used 1 set of tires all weekend, including the main. The set he used had already been previously used by me at the GLARCRC track, and I estimate the total track time for that set of tires to be well over 2.5 hours, and they still can be used for practice.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Tech Addict

I will agree on the GQ tires. They held up very well and had great traction. I ran 40's on all corners and felt hooked.... until it rained...
Old 11-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

You should have tried rubber tires in the rain. I did after my engine flamed out a couple of times. The car was worse with rubber tires in the wet.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by D Starks
Good job Ronnie! Congrats on your win!!!!
THANKS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.