Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Rick,

That's pretty much what I had in mind!
Old 10-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ron...1st off, congrat on being the race director of the 39th MWS....

2nd, great idea....made me want to pick up Eric's IGT...but I will wait till next season.

Since you know those nfr who made buggy/rally similar to this class...why don't you list the brand, model of the acceptalbe chassis that is allow to race in this class...? Ie. Kyosho IGT....OFNA DN1 (or DA1 or whatever that 1/7th giant on road..?)...etc.

Then...list the acceptable brand and model of the .28 off road type engine....may be ONLY pull start type engine allow but using starter box to start is acceptable (like Leisure rule)...Probably should have ports limitation (5 or less..may be?)

Then open on all options, brand and material....open on rubber tires (no foams)

Of course....car must be buggy/truggy base, that means....shaft type.

There must be some rules there, just make it short, simple and easy to ID..

Now....who has a IGT RTR for sale cheap?

I saw that picture above....how much is that thing cost..? $2000 without electronics plus $2000 on spare parts? LOL....
Old 10-10-2007, 03:18 AM
Tech Elite

Yea, that "Rally" car from Italy is pretty crazy.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Howard,

I may have something for you come springtime. This is the perfect class for you, low maintenance, low cost, easy to drive. No excuses for not making it to a track next year! Oh wait, you'll still need your hall pass from the wife.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Solara,

I want to keep the rules as easy to understand as possible, yet allow some variety. I am not in favor of the pull-start rule. I have allways urged my customers (of rtr vehicles) to eliminate the thing as soon as possible. Quite frankly, I think installing a pull-start, should be a criminal offense. Even if left unsused, they will create an air leak at the least. I would like to keep the engines on the inexpensive side. All the engines I have in mind, are available for $250 or less. Allowing .28 sport engines, will give respectable performance. But, I don't see the logic in requiring the pull-start be left in place.
An IGT that is 'legal' at Leisure, should be competetive in our class. Allowing other buggies to be converted, opens things up for more people to get involved.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JonnySocko
Howard,

I may have something for you come springtime. This is the perfect class for you, low maintenance, low cost, easy to drive. No excuses for not making it to a track next year! Oh wait, you'll still need your hall pass from the wife.
Sounds good....nothing better then support by GP/TOWER/FUTABA Team Driver...and yes, I think the only problem I have is getting the HALL pass. You can ask Eric and Walt about that, they know my situation very well...

Originally Posted by duneland
Solara,

I want to keep the rules as easy to understand as possible, yet allow some variety. I am not in favor of the pull-start rule. I have allways urged my customers (of rtr vehicles) to eliminate the thing as soon as possible. Quite frankly, I think installing a pull-start, should be a criminal offense. Even if left unsused, they will create an air leak at the least. I would like to keep the engines on the inexpensive side. All the engines I have in mind, are available for $250 or less. Allowing .28 sport engines, will give respectable performance. But, I don't see the logic in requiring the pull-start be left in place.
An IGT that is 'legal' at Leisure, should be competetive in our class. Allowing other buggies to be converted, opens things up for more people to get involved.
I mentioned pull-start cause that will limited to X-amount of engine in the market. Unlike the one on that picture above...ppl can still use a $500 heavily modified buggy engine that might spin as fast as a $300 on road engine. OR..like I said, name the brand, the model of THOSE specific engine and there will be no mistake. However, someone has to TEST OUT all these SPEC ENGINE before listing them on the rule book.........in this case, RON, you will be perfect....test these 20-30 engines out and give us a report..(LOL).
Old 10-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Howard,
Problem with that is, there are some high-end/high dollar pull start engines. There is an eleven port .28 or .27 Sirio with a pull start!
I suppose I will have to make a list of approved engines, or just run with no limits.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by duneland
Howard,
Problem with that is, there are some high-end/high dollar pull start engines. There is an eleven port .28 or .27 Sirio with a pull start!
I suppose I will have to make a list of approved engines, or just run with no limits.
Did you say 11 ports? Is that from XRAY?
Old 10-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darint
One thing that you might want to test for the GT cars with Rubber tires is the traction/grip on our race tracks. During one of races in Cincy we had 1/5 cars (with rubber tires) and the guys talked about how "traction compound" actually caused the rubber tires to lose grip (stated dirty parking lots were better). Basically, compound helped foam tires pick up traction and rubber tires lose traction..

Just a thought, since most tracks "spray" something to increase the grip for the foam group. That same compound may actually make rubber tires worse.
I have also tried rubber tires at a MWS race way back when, it was even at one of those rough surfaced parking lot tracks and the foam that's been put on the track balls up on the rubber tires, making it like driving on marbles. I highly doubt that the rubber tires will work at a MWS race for this reason.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bucknuts
I have also tried rubber tires at a MWS race way back when, it was even at one of those rough surfaced parking lot tracks and the foam that's been put on the track balls up on the rubber tires, making it like driving on marbles. I highly doubt that the rubber tires will work at a MWS race for this reason.
That's the spirit!
....tried rubber tires way back when......highly doubt that the rubber tires will work......

Sounds like an open and shut case, let's scrap the whole idea.

Where these rubber tires you tried "way back when" on a 1/8th scale offroad style buggy????
Old 10-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Tech Addict

I don't think he's trying to scrap the whole idea, just trying to add concern. Rubber tires and 1/10 sedans are one thing, rubber tires double the width, double the height, and double the weight of a sedan might make it work. Its worth a shot, as someone stated earlier, they are running these cars at leisure hours with fairly decent grip. It might take some experimenting initially with tires and setup, hopefully it'll work out.

There's plenty of choices of rubber tires to choose from, after doing some searching, these are what I've found.

PMT: 3 tread patterns, 10 compunds of tires. 4 standard compounds, 2 wet compounds, and 4 'super racing' compounds (standard compounds are available mounted:
http://www.pmt-tyres.it/epages/Store...3A8/RallyGames

GRP: 5 Rally Compounds, 1 tread pattern (4 dry, 1 wet) mounted only: xsoft, soft, medium, hard, rain
http://www.grpgandini.com/uk/1-8-offroad.asp

Ofna:
6 choices, slick, or treaded, w/ or w/o belts, street, and wide street. No hardness information provided:
http://www.ofna.com/tires-onroad.html

Kyosho: http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/optionp...ferno_gt_1.asp
V - Slick Tire
IGT002-45 (45-shore rating) Soft compound
IGT002-55 (55-shore rating) Medium compound
IGT002-60 (60-shore rating) Hard compound

Any others I should be mentioning?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Tech Regular

Slight change of subject. IMO we really do not need to have 6 MWS events per year. One per month should work fine. If we run 6 then start in April or end in Oct.

We have had 7 MWS event during a season and that was a little to much.

Alot has changed in the last decade. 10 Plus years ago, we only had the MWS races for our large races during the summer in the Middle of the country unless Cincy hosted the Nationals.

Now besides our MWS races, we also have many other large races to attend and only so many weekends to give up.

1995: Big races were Ft. Meyers-Feb, TX Biggie-May, Roar Nats- Labor Day and Paris Race in Vegas - Oct.

That meant we had all summer to run club races and the MWS once a month in our part of the world.

Now: Big races are Ft Meyers-Feb, Lincoln,Dallas and Ont. have special races on Memorial day, Capital Classis 301 MD in early June, Canadian Nationals-Ont July 1st, Byron in Joliet Early July, GLC early Aug., Tri-state 200 Cincy on Labor day, Mid-American in St Louis early Oct. Then throw in a couple of ROAR Nationals some time. Seems like 8 to 10 other big events to attend per year along with our MWS. Plus there are other races in Vegas and FL that racers may want to attend.

Nut shell, we only need one MWS race per month. That should get us better attendance at all the races. And as we know, if there is a good turn out then more racers will want to come, if the turn out is low then fewer racers will want to attend.

A nice East Track, west track, east Track, then west track and back to the east should work fine. If we start in the west, then just reverse the order.

I was kind of surprised that more ILL and Wis. racers did not make the trip to St. Louis to run on their permenant track last weekend. St Louis is interested in being a part of the Midwest Series. Not sure that works the best, but if we find the need to have 6 MWS races. Then St Louis could be the last MWS race of the season in Oct. and Hopefully we could talk the Heart of American Racers into also putting the same race on their schedule for a showdown event between the two groups.

Sorry, about being so wordy.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bucknuts
All those video on Youtube are running on rubber tires...and I really doubt they do something super special on their track to make rubber tires work. I do not know what will happen next year, but I have seen stock IGT running on the kyosho rubber tires for IGT @ Leisure Hour Raceway....not a single problem about traction. And LHR used the same spray like Toledo, Hamilton....that ran MWS as well.

I don't want to say FOAM is the answer, but I am sure Rubber tires will work...may be using rubber tires only will prevent ppl using some high-power engine.

I watched those video...those thing are plenty fast. At least, look a lot faster then those 1/5th that I have send before....
Old 10-11-2007, 04:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Agree with you Ted 4 races is enough, with 3 out four counting for points.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default MWS Races

Four races sounds good great idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.