Midwest Series '08' 39th year!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Midwest Series '08' 39th year!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Tech Initiate

I agree Ray No foam tires. As for the Dm1 I just like the scale a little better than the kyosho, although the kyosho ready to run is a very good deal for the money. I would just like to know if there is any opposition to running this car in the GT series. It is a little bit bigger beign 1/7th scale.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RayJ
Rubber tires only. Foam tires are a very bad idea. Not only will the speeds go way up.....the playing field will not be level at all. People will have to invest money in all diffrent shores......have to true them down..... and on and on and on. They will also have to buy a tire truer.

I'm sure that there will be other buggys allowed.......but I am curious about the DM-1??
I also agree with Ray...No foam tires! Just Rubber.
Just a thought. If other manufacturers cars are involved, which I think they should, what make of tires will be allowed also?

Should we just keep it to Kyosho and Ofna with their tires o0nly for the first year? This would save messing around.....maybe?

British Menace
Old 01-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lazarsm
Perhaps this has had enough discussion already, but I'd like to offer my support to Eli and Mark's comments. This is an entry level class and trying to make it more complicated than necessary defeats the purpose. I have watched these cars run at Leisure in Joliet and the rules they have seem to work well. (Thanks to Bernie -

Kyosho Inferno GT Spec Class Rules:

Car Rules:
1. Upgrade brakes.
2. Upgrade radio gear (servos, linkage, receiver and radio).
3. Add sway bars (front and rear)
4. Shock and diff oils can be changed.
5. Any shock position, caster position, ect., provided by the car (no drilling holes).
6. You may use a starter box, but pull-start must remain intact and operational.
7. Clutch gearing may change (14-15 first gear, 17-18-19 second gear, kyosho only).
8. Replacing threaded links with turnbuckles.
9. Kyosho V-slick in any of the 3 compounds for tires.

Body Rules:
1. Body must be cut on the manufacturer line.
2. You may cut the rear of the body no higher than 1 1/8th” when sitting flat on a surface.
3. Side window may be cut open for fueling.
4. Front window may be cut, but no larger than 3”x3”.
5. Rear window may but cut, but no larger than 2”x2”.
6. You may cut a hole for the glow plug ignitor.

Final Rule - If it doesn’t say you can do it, you CAN’T DO IT.

I would suggest using them for the first year and seeing how it goes. These guys seem to have a lot of fun and there not overly serious. Let's encourage some new racers!

Just my thoughts... Steve Lazarus
This is a great starting off point as far as rules go. I don't think we would go far wrong using these for the first year.

British Menace
Old 01-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rodney01
I agree Ray No foam tires. As for the Dm1 I just like the scale a little better than the kyosho, although the kyosho ready to run is a very good deal for the money. I would just like to know if there is any opposition to running this car in the GT series. It is a little bit bigger beign 1/7th scale.
I'm going to show my ignorence to the full here...............
How much are these things anyway? The Ofna DM1 and the Kyosho GT ?

I understand the Ofna is a little more ?

British Menace
Old 01-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by British Menace
I'm going to show my ignorence to the full here...............
How much are these things anyway? The Ofna DM1 and the Kyosho GT ?

I understand the Ofna is a little more ?

British Menace
Nitrohouse sells the 1/8 Ofna GTP II for $320.00
Amain hobbies sells 1/8 Kyosho Inferno GT for $410.00

Nitrohouse sells 1/7 Ofna DM-1 for $450.00

these are all RTR versions. There may be better pricing available.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

Manditory pull starter on a race car?????? COME ON!!!!
If foams are not allowed then I hope any rubber tire would be legal.
I bet a person will spend just as much on different tire setups (trying different foam inserts)as they would just using foam tires.
The DM1 seems a little to big for the class.
I like the looks of the ofna ARR GTP.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

This class is NOT a spec Kyosho class. I want more variety, and since there is more than one brand manufactured, why disallow any particular brand?
As far as the DM1 goes, at first I was not for it's inclusion, because it deviates from the buggy-based platform. Scuttlebut has it that it offers no advantage over the IGT or the GTP, so it will be allowed (at least for the first season).
Rubber tires! Any rubber tire (for now).
Engines; I will work on a list of approved engines. Claiming rule is still under consideration. Max. displacement is .28 cu. I have serious doubts that the expensive on-road .21s would out-perform a decent .28 Truggy engine anyway. These things are quite a bit heavier than the .21 circuit engines were designed for. They may offer a some advantage at the end of the straight, but I think they would be a bit too soft in the infield. Probably burn up quick too. I ran a Mega-Nova MS.21 in one of my buggies. It was very impressive on the last half of the straight, but did not have nearly enough grunt in the infield. These GTPs and such, are quite a bit heavier than my buggy was... so I would expect similar performance comparison.
In my off-road experience, a GOOD .21 is pretty close in performance to an over-sized sport .28.
Anyhow, I am mulling over the engine details & will post my conclusions in the next week or two.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Question? Will rubber tires work on treated tracks using Castor as an additive for foam tire racing? The last time I witnessed this the rubber tire guys did not like what the foam guys liked. These cars look like a lot of fun, thanks for posting the vid.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Schuster
Question? Will rubber tires work on treated tracks using Castor as an additive for foam tire racing? The last time I witnessed this the rubber tire guys did not like what the foam guys liked. These cars look like a lot of fun, thanks for posting the vid.
John
At our track in Hamilton Ont we have 1/5 scale guys run on rubber tires and we use same traction compound as Toledo ( castor oil, pop syrup and methanol). The 1/5 scale use the softest rubber tire available and a set of tires last almost a FULL season!!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

At Leisure Hours' track, during the Byron Race, foam tire traction was pretty much perfect, and when Bernie and Mike brought out their IGTs with Kyosho rubber tires on them, they were hooked up pretty well. In fact, they had a traction rolling problem if anything (which I think could be tuned out if they tried).

I don't think there will be a problem with traction, and even if there were a problem, it's the same problem for everyone. As long as all the cars are reacting the same, I don't think it would matter if the traction was poor for a 'fun' spec class like this.

I've raced my IGT in light rain at Leisure Hours with slick Kyosho rubber tires on it and it was still a blast since the other guy out there was in the same pradicament. No traction at all, but the same for both of us, and therefore still a lot of fun.

Someone else mentioned it before: if there is a 'rain delay' during any of the Midwest Series races this year (but not a total down-pour, for the marshal's sake), the GT class can and probably should still run. At the very least, the GT classes can be run after the rain has stopped but before the track has had a chance to totally dry. A slick track can make these cars even more fun to drive.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for your replies. Sounds like a nice class. Hope it brings new rc racers to the hobby.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Hey guys
hows everyone. I have a question for the director and the 1/8th scale racers. I'm intrested in their opinion only.(guys that are currently running 1/8th on road) I'm putting together an 1/8th scale brushless lipo electric car. The reason I'm doing it is to prove that the concept is viable. How would everyone feel if I ran it in the MWS as a no points car. This is just so I can get some real race time on it. The target is one battery pack change during a main. (30 min)I think it can be done.

The question is how would everyone feel about this. Would you guys indulge me?

What I don't want to do is build the car to be a shelf queen. This is part of a larger vision to design a brushless conversion package for 1/8th on road scale cars.
Thanks D
Old 01-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Interested

Thanks for your replies. Sounds like a nice class. Hope it brings new rc racers to the hobby.
Have electric now, looking to get into nitro road. But after reading this it truely sounds like once the great racers finish running their important races, they are then going to turn around and run in my heat???????????

Hence, when you bring in new blood what are our chances of having FUN??????????????????
Old 01-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

chances are exceptional.
The midwest series is full of people who care about the guy who has shown up for the first time. Many times I know I have personally taken the engine out of my car and given it to an newcommer and placed in my backup in my car. Midwest guys will be there for you and if their not come see me. The midwest series is about great racing I'll give you that but its also about building friendships and anyone who says diffrent is wrong. I'll give you as much time as you need. You ask anyone here on RC tech if I'm telling the truth and you find that I am. Anyone who knows me will attest to that. You are as important as the big shoe in our series.

The MWS is about finishing laps.

Last edited by Motorman; 01-21-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Team Crash
.....after reading this it truely sounds like once the great racers finish running their important races, they are then going to turn around and run in my heat???????????

Hence, when you bring in new blood what are our chances of having FUN??????????????????
I feel there will be those who focus on 1/8 Open or Touring and will have the 1/8 GT as something fun to race. I plan on buying one only to try and support the class not only in the MWS but at our local club. If there aren't many that show up to run it isn't much fun...I will have one sitting to be a field filler if needed.

Doug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.