Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro crash course!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Nitro crash course!

Hi,

I'm coming from the electric side of RC cars and moving to gas powered.

Tell me everything there is to know about nitro RC car(basic crash course).

What I need, what to get, how to start and so on. I have no clue i how to start a nitro car so please explain he basics.

luismx123
Old 09-02-2007, 12:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

GO to the local track see what guys are running.. See what your LHS has to offer as far as part support.. Then look in you wallet and try and stay in your range because it is real easy to over spend in this hobby, I am not sure what cars are support in your area but our LHS's have serpent, mugen, kyosho parts all in stock on a regular and if not can get whats needed on a decent time line.

I would really suggest you set a budget unless your funds are unlimited , if they are like most of us we say we are on budgets but we do nothing but spend but to keep it real with you make sure you dont get anything that parts are not readily available for...
Old 09-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey,

Um I live in the Caribbean and there is no hobby store around. There is no track either. I'm moving to Europe next year and I'm trying to get one for there but untill then I want to make a good choice of what to buy. The only way to do this is if someone explains to me how nitro cars work and so on.

If you can help me please post.

luismx123
Old 09-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

with nitro u need to break in and tune your engine which can be frustrating to some people or some guys takes it as a challenge.but once u learn how to do this correctly youd love it.thats the only problem that a new guy in nitro could have..goodluck..
Old 09-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey,

How do you break-in to a nitro engine?

What do I need to start a Nitro engine?
Old 09-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by luismx123
Hey,

How do you break-in to a nitro engine?

What do I need to start a Nitro engine?
That's is easy part.

You need a pitman to help you start engine, refueling, and take care your car while you are driving. Do you have friend(s) that can be your pitman ?

For break in : lots of break in techinques.... Just search it.

For Starting Nitro Engine : You need a starter box. My suggestion : Buy starter box with Single Motor, Direct Drive (No Belt), Flat Bed Type, has Glow Plug panel, and can accept a 12V gell battery / accu.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Tech Addict

to start an engine ,u can do it by yourself .u didnt exactly need a pitman..thats if youre racing..if youre not racing there are engines that can be started by pullstart,rotostart/drill start or starterbox/bump start..
pullstart is the one you can use anytime coz u dont need no batts all u need is maybe a glove so u wont have blisters starting a tight engine..the rotostart/drillstart and starterbox are easiest but u have extra stuff to carry with you..when u buy a new engine or a rtr car youll find instructions on how to break in an engine..thats where the excitement starts..usually break in procedure is 3 tanks idle above ground and 2tanks 1/4throttle and so on..wgat car are u planning on getting?are u planning on getting a kit or a rtr?
Old 09-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi,

Well I had an electric TT01 which was fun but then I wanted it to go faster and decided tocheck for hop ups. Turns out that a good motor an speed controller are in the 150+US range and all the other parts are like 250+US for my car alone. That made me think that maybe I should get a nitro powered car. I did some research on Youtube and saw videos of Kyosho Fazers which seemed pretty good so I googled it and it turns out that they only cost 200US.
I don't know if the car is any good but for the price it seems to deliver pretty well reaching a max. speed of 65km/h.

Could you give me a few names of good cars in the cost area to research and to find out about.

I'm completely new to nitro cars so I have no clue what is good or bad and what is fast or slow.

What replacement parts are usualy needed and approx. how much do they cost?

luismx123
Old 09-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Tech Addict

i guess the parts would be the same in elec cars..usually axles,cvds arms stuff like that..for 1/10 onroad theres rs4 by hpi,nitro 4tech by traxxas,i think tc3 comes in nitro ..ive only had rs4 and my latest is the kyosho inferno gt which i bought for 369 but in ultimatehobbies.com some of theyre kits are around 200s..so u wanna checkk it out.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi,

Um I checked the other cars but none realy intrested me. I realy want the Kyosho Fazer but I still have no clue how to upgrade it and so on.
I'm moving to Austria soon and I only found 1 shop with RC stuff(www.conrad.com)
I don't think that they have any good upgrades for it but all that I want to do for now is backyard-bashing.

If anyone knows any other shops located in Austria please tell me.

In electric cars all the motors are the same size so there is nothing to wory about when purchasing but with nitros I have no clue what engine can go in what car. Can someone explain to me?

What would the best upgrades for a nitro car be?

luismx123
Old 09-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Tech Addict

1/10 scale cars use same size engines usually .12 to .18 engines fits..i think the kyosho cant use aftermarket engines without mods..the kyosho engines comes with a mount on the engine block..so u need to mod it in order to fit an aftermarket engine or find a mount that fits..the rs4 is a pretty decent car but im sure theres more out there but parts will be easy to find for the rs4..
Old 09-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey,

I'm thinking of getting an RS4 18ss as that it the only one my LHS has.
I've been reading about it and gone on the HPI site and saw th manula for the RS418ss. I'm only 15 and its kind of hard for me to understand the manual like the parts where you have to adjust the throttle and the screws for idle speed and so on.
It seems like a nice car and I will enjoy building it but to get everything correct will be a bit challenging.

mothertruckah ,you own an HPI RS4 right?
-Was it hard to build?
-Did you need to buy stuff for it like oils, greases, threadlocks and so on for the construction of the car or was it all included?
-How long did it take till you could finaly run it?

luismx123
Old 09-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For you it sounds like the Associated Nitro TC3 or the HPI RS4 you can get both of these cars RTR for under $300. Which is a lil higher than you would like to go if i read correctly, but on the other hand, you dont need a bump box to start either one, which the bump box alone for some of the other high end cars are $50-$100. I live in Oklahoma and i am always going to different hobby shops nearby and for the whole 3 years i have been in this hobby i have never seen a Mugen, Kyosho, or Serpent kit or part support. Hell i have never seen someone elses used Mugen, Kyosho, or serpent rig for that fact. However every one of the hobby shops i have been in around here do have all the parts in the world for Team Associated, HPI, Losi, and Traxxas. I have a feeling that over in europe you wont find much Traxxas products i could be wrong though.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Tech Addict

the rs4 i had was rtr so i didnt build it..tc3 is a good one too..
Old 09-03-2007, 06:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi,

Um I've made up my mind to purchase a HPI RS4 3 18ss.

I have a few questions about starting.
-I need a glow plug and gas right?
-How do you use the glow plug? Do you have to heat it or what?
-How long must the glow plug be in till you try to start the engine?
-Must you have the reciever and remote on before starting the car? In electrics if you left it off the car would shoot off uncontrolably.

luismx123

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.