is this the new HPI PRO car?.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is this the new HPI PRO car?.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 11:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Last edited by nanjoutai; 11-09-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yes, the R&D guys have been testing it extensively with the Beetle Cup Racer, S-Class and F-150 bodies!
Old 05-14-2003, 12:51 PM
Tech Adept

Nice avatar Frank, and thank you for the PM on rcfiles. 254 mm wheelbase is going to require just a tad more modification. It is a shame I will not be able to participate or meet you in person this weekend in Lewisville, Texas.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Actually 254 is for the electrics, the Nitro cars are closer to 257. The R40 can go a little longer as well with the hingepin spacers (about another 4mm).

I cropped the avatar pic from some random yearbook pictures, here are more: http://www.frankmckinney.org/random/avatars.htm
Old 05-14-2003, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by AndrewtheRCman
well the hpi is too voneRRish, i mean atleast the LD3 looked different. all i see is a vonerr, big deal, theres about 3 others like it, nothing special

look at the ofna MBXR2, ive heard of people murdering infernos and Mugens with it

but is it a good buggy? not on its life
Andrew - you KNOW the LD3 looks nearly identical to the NTC3 - doesn't make it one, it only LOOKS like its twin brother. Nothing special!

Also - as I've said to you before - this is an ONROAD (that means we drive ON the road, not IN the mud) forum so comparing cars to buggies or even buggies to buggies is kinda dumb.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: LOOKS LIKE THAT, LOOKS LIKE THIS, YADA YADA YADA!!!!!

Originally posted by FREAKAH
They look like each other..............

SO WHAT!!!

Belt drive cars will almost alway look like other belt driven cars. The same goes for shaft driven cars.

The thing that is the most important(but most people dont notice!) is the suspension geometry and how well it works with the chassis overall. I admit I don't know all the differences in geometries between two different cars just by looking at them but thats what makes them different. Two different cars with the exact same springs, oil, ride height, etc. will have very different handling characteristics.

The "Copying" subject has been beaten to death. Enough already!!
Exactly (although I don't completely agree with the shaft cars needing to look all alike. . .compare the HPI dual shaft with the NTC3/LD3).

This car looks like an evolutionary development (hey, kinda like the LD3) of what has gone before - an improved (?) centax, a clutch type 2-speed (a la the NTC3 and I guess the new Serpents (?) - but sticking with a formula that they KNOW works (three belts and two decks).

Let's see HPI hit one out of the park! I'm rootin for 'em!
Old 05-14-2003, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: LOOKS LIKE THAT, LOOKS LIKE THIS, YADA YADA YADA!!!!!

Originally posted by Boomer
centax, a clutch type 2-speed (a la the NTC3 and I guess the new Serpents (?) - but sticking with a formula that they KNOW works (three belts and two decks).
Serpent was the first company to start using the 2-shoe style gearbox that I am aware of way back in the 80's. Thats why I am kinda surprised that more companies didnt catch on that it is better (more smooth) a lot sooner than the last couple of years.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

You guys should start seeing pictures of the actual car as early as later today or tomorrow on private websites of Shizuoka hobby show visitors, if not on HPI websites. Just keep your eyes open for links from people that live in Japan.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:07 AM
Tech Adept

Frank, why does Japan get the first jump on everything? Are we not good enough here in the US?
Old 05-15-2003, 08:31 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Frank, how are the parts material? Are they like Proceed material or NRS4 material?
Old 05-15-2003, 09:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

It's designed and made in Japan, that may be why it's being shown at Shizuoka first.

Parts plastic looks to be at or above the same quality as Mugen, Yoke, etc. cars. This is not a parking lot basher, this is a race car. That said, all we have right now is preproduction stuff so as the testing continues the specs will change I'm sure. Rest assured it will be put through its paces properly!
Old 05-15-2003, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Frank McKinney
You guys should start seeing pictures of the actual car as early as later today or tomorrow on private websites of Shizuoka hobby show visitors, if not on HPI websites. Just keep your eyes open for links from people that live in Japan.
Like these?

Old 05-15-2003, 03:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Old 05-15-2003, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hey..whats up with those rear body mounts..or is that thing gonna run the 'OUTLAW" suv class>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2003, 05:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

http://www.hpiracing.com/kits/r40/r40_main.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.