R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-13-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
Tech Regular
Default Comparing TM G4S, Xray NT1 and Serpent 720

All these 3 kits are easily avaliable at my LHS and so are their parts. but which one is best out of the box stock setup?

anyone can help?
xscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by xscape View Post
All these 3 kits are easily avaliable at my LHS and so are their parts. but which one is best out of the box stock setup?

anyone can help?
Xray no question is the best car among those three.I know its newer than the other two, but from what I have seen with reliability bar none its better and looks just as fast if not faster. The only other car I would consider is the RRR but your lhs doesnt carry so it wouldnt make any sense IMO.
watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xscape View Post

anyone can help?
My previous car was the G4S, and I now race the Xray. The Xray is good to go out of the box, though I think its a good idea to get front cvds and aluminum wheel hexes. That'll set you back around $90, though you could get by without them. My favorite thing about the Xray is its silky smooth drivetrain. It was obvious when I built it that it was very free, but the first time on the track I had a big smile on my face as the acceleration is awesome it just carries so much speed off throttle. It's also easy to wrench on.

The G4S includes the hexes and cvds, but I think overall the car is an older design though it still wins races. Looking back my favorite thing about the G4S was the UFO clutch. While the the thing I disliked on the G4S was that it was a pain to work on due the the radio tray design, and that some of the parts (ie. outdrives) seemed to show wear fairly quickly whereas the Xray shows virtually none after a good 6 weekends worth of racing. Hudy "Spring Steel" is good stuff.

I can't speak to the Serpent, but there are a few of them where I race, and they're right there in the hunt with the rest of them.

Xray NT1
RB Concepts R3
Nomadio React
royfan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

You're going to get a lot of opinions as for every driver they have their own personal preference. There will be similarities and there will be differences, but in capable hands any of the 3 or other vehicles out there can be a track weapon. So far lots of people have liked the NT1 and changed over from what they previously drove. I personally plan to stay with my MTX4 as I have no reason to leave it honestly. Just go for which ever car you have easy access for parts and which one you like most. Lots of people on here can give you tips and suggestions for any vehicle so help is available 24/7.
HarKonnenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I own a G4S and love the car! Like Roy said the radio tray was a pain. But over all the car handle great! I also own a MTX3 love the car. I switch over G4S because all the buddy switch other wise I would still stay with MTX3. All and all there are all good car! as long as you set it up properly.

although I would love to crack open a new kit and put it together!! LOL... I did bought an XRAY NT1 but, decided to hold off on it.
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

All 3 kits are solid choices but in my experience the NT1 suits a wider range of conditions.

I haven't run the 720 but from what I have heard from locals that have it or have tried it the car seems to adapt to a wide range of track conditions but lacks gearing options for conventional parking lot tracks.

I used to run a G4s and found the car to be very durable and extremely capable on med to high grip conditions. On sealed asphalt tracks with only a sugar water traction additive the limited tune ability of the car proved to be problem in getting to the front of the pack. Gearing in stock form is also too limited but there are easy and fairly inexpensive transmission mods that get you what you need.

After switching to the NT1 I can say with certainty that it is a better low grip car and capable of going just as fast in stickier conditions.

mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote