Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
200mm nitro touring car hot again!!! >

200mm nitro touring car hot again!!!

200mm nitro touring car hot again!!!

Old 08-16-2007, 05:21 AM
Tech Elite

VA you hit on the head.
Also a problem we have is that guys are sold what they dont need and beyond there ability this is a pet peeve of mine.
RC has changed from a hobby to a business and sport.
We need more intermediate classes so that new and average guys have a platform to compete and have fun.
The RTR/sportsman classes needs to be developed and promoted more so you have good competition and dont have to spend big $$$.
Its like with our local EP racing, we wont have guys going up to stock and mod classes with out them learning the ins and outs in our Tamiya TT01 stock class.
also more manufacturer and distributor involvement to help developement of the sport.

Another big problem is internet shopping that has virtually killed the local hobby shops of being interested in promoting the sport if they are not supported by local racers.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey VA,

You said it. Also, if I may add, is also the people.
Track owner needs to undertand what customer service is. As far as I know, some track owners are very bad treating their customers. Racers are there having fun and getting experienced, but some track owner is just different. Believe me, I saw that. Over here at one of the local track, the owner literally ask the racer to leave because he was just asking a question. I also saw another racer throwing a frequency clip towards another fellow racers........Come on guys, we all have a bad day some how, but please.....

Well, that is just my 2 cents
Old 08-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by razzor
VA you hit on the head.
Also a problem we have is that guys are sold what they dont need and beyond there ability this is a pet peeve of mine.
RC has changed from a hobby to a business and sport.
We need more intermediate classes so that new and average guys have a platform to compete and have fun.
The RTR/sportsman classes needs to be developed and promoted more so you have good competition and dont have to spend big $$$.
Its like with our local EP racing, we wont have guys going up to stock and mod classes with out them learning the ins and outs in our Tamiya TT01 stock class.
also more manufacturer and distributor involvement to help developement of the sport.

Another big problem is internet shopping that has virtually killed the local hobby shops of being interested in promoting the sport if they are not supported by local racers.
I could not agree more with that last statement. We have to support those that help the sport grow and survive. And before the responses lampooning the "big box" hobby store where they know more about painting gnomes then 1/8 onroad kits, let it go. When you go into Barnes and Nobles you're not going to get the same personalized service as you do when you go to the local bookstore, run by the former english teacher. (Props to Brimmer's Bookstore in VA Beach )

I'm talking about the little guy, that independent hobby store. Those are the ones who really need our support. They are mostly run by guys/gals like us who love the hobby. Have I bought things online, yes. But the vast majority, and especially the high dollar items, I buy from my local shop. Why? Because without them there is no track, and without a track, I have $1200 Tonka toy.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by va_connoisseur
I could not agree more with that last statement. We have to support those that help the sport grow and survive. And before the responses lampooning the "big box" hobby store where they know more about painting gnomes then 1/8 onroad kits, let it go. When you go into Barnes and Nobles you're not going to get the same personalized service as you do when you go to the local bookstore, run by the former english teacher. (Props to Brimmer's Bookstore in VA Beach )

I'm talking about the little guy, that independent hobby store. Those are the ones who really need our support. They are mostly run by guys/gals like us who love the hobby. Have I bought things online, yes. But the vast majority, and especially the high dollar items, I buy from my local shop. Why? Because without them there is no track, and without a track, I have $1200 Tonka toy.
Thats very well put and I couldn't agree with that statement more. The Online arena has really killed the little guys and has pretty much killed the stores opportunity to keep itself running in alot of areas because taxes rent and utilities are going up and thanks to online stores product mark ups going down shutting down the local shops because its getting harder to make a little money. How the industries going for the little shop owners, u need to sell a $1000 worth a week to make $1000 dollars a month and that $1000 wont cover the costs to keep the doors open. (I only know from some experience in it and Im only using just throwing it out there numbers) So you lose the know how and places to go to help out the newbie just to save $10. Because we all got started learning from someone else.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:13 AM
Tech Lord

Problem with most RTR nitro touring cars is that they come wit a .15 engine which is not legal to race at a lot of clubs. To get people over from streetracing to the circuits they have to invest a lot. Beside the prices of real racingcars compared with their RTR cars a lot of these streetracing guys have no interest of driving the same laps knowing they are slower than others and driving by the rules.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
Problem with most RTR nitro touring cars is that they come wit a .15 engine which is not legal to race at a lot of clubs. To get people over from streetracing to the circuits they have to invest a lot. Beside the prices of real racingcars compared with their RTR cars a lot of these streetracing guys have no interest of driving the same laps knowing they are slower than others and driving by the rules.
This post right here is a good example of giving the new racer reasons not to even bother. Is this true at the track where you race? All the club races in my area let the novice class run almost anything. Heck, sometimes they run electric and nitro together. We all need to be welcoming and accepting of the new racer that brings his nitro 4TEC to a race with his treaded kit tires and help him have a fun day. Encourage him to just run clean and have a good time. The novice races are a lot of fun to watch. Just like a demolition derby. If you don't like the crashes, bump up to sportsman.

We are adults, playing with toy cars, having a good time. This is what keeps us racing.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:44 AM
Tech Lord

Ofcourse everyone is welcome but when you want to start with the clubcompetition then there are rules......

And yes, we even started RTR days for people who want to smell driving on a track and then even there are only a few to take a look. Over here in Holland streetracers are not realy interested in driving on a track, they know they are slow with their cars and do not want to invest in a better setup or even give it a try with their own cars, also they think a membership is to expensive (but they do buy a lot of bling for their cars) and most of the young guys do not want to travel for driving on a track.

It is not the question for them why to bother, it is more the question for the clubs who see the interest going less.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

Would the Big 3 (Mugen, Kyosho and Serpent) offering an RTR help? Team Magic has an RTR which is supposedly the kit car with a .15 engine and an FM radio. If that is the case, then transitioning from RTR bashing to full kit racing would be easy.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SMOKESHOW86
This season our track moved to a new location that is out in the public a lot more there for allowing people to see the racing.

This has had two effects overall:

1) Our track has been approched by a number of event organizers asking if the group would be interested in putting on races at their events.

and

2) Car counts are up, but not were you would think. We run a Tamyia Mini class, 19T touring class, and 200mm nitro. Most people would think that the 19T and Mini class were up in numbers due to the cost of nitro. Not so though, we have gone from 2-3 cars to 6-7 or more cars out weekly. Mind you some of the guys racing are 1/8th racers from Hamilton, but there are 2-3 new guys and more interested.

All of the above is just from being in a more public area were people are more likely to see the cars race.
Yep, I see the same thing with the Bass Pro Series...

You must get your racing in front of the public. We run once a month (heat premitting, in Jackson, MS) and we get 8,000 to 10,000 people watching our little race on Saturdays. When Nitro hits the track they come running to watch. We run Nitro first for that very reason. We hope they stay around to see Stock run, but after that class is done they start to leave. They are always aksing, when will the gas cars run again.

The Key is a public place... And most stores will agree to a "event" as long as it is no cost to them. The key is to have someone giving out marketing stuff (that includes Off-road also) to people that are interested, recommendation, she is young and pretty....
Old 08-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Yep, I see the same thing with the Bass Pro Series...

You must get your racing in front of the public. We run once a month (heat premitting, in Jackson, MS) and we get 8,000 to 10,000 people watching our little race on Saturdays. When Nitro hits the track they come running to watch. We run Nitro first for that very reason. We hope they stay around to see Stock run, but after that class is done they start to leave. They are always aksing, when will the gas cars run again.

The Key is a public place... And most stores will agree to a "event" as long as it is no cost to them. The key is to have someone giving out marketing stuff (that includes Off-road also) to people that are interested, recommendation, she is young and pretty....
You have 8,000 people watching your races? OK, you need to call ESPN, it's time to get Poker bumped...
Old 08-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by va_connoisseur
You have 8,000 people watching your races? OK, you need to call ESPN, it's time to get Poker bumped...
8000-10000 people ??? That's alot of freakin people man. If that's the case, the va_connoisseur is right !! I'd like to see a photo of 8000-10000 people watching r/c car racing on a saturday. That would be sahweeet !!
Old 08-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Tech Regular

8000-10000 people is an huge amount. when you think about it, how many of those would be motivated to goto a local hobby store and maybe not buy but at least look around. the problem is, is that an introductary nitro rc is a little difficult to produce. you can't just make a quality car, with an enexpensive price tag. the engine will not perform and the car wont last at all. newcomers need to be "educated" as to what there getting. from most of the people i know, they think its too expensive and would rather get some shit from radioshack... people need to know that they get what they pay for. i think the unjustified price is one of the turn offs to newbies.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Well guys, you mite a little taken back, but that is what this single store gets an average day in customers. We have a continuous flow of people watching, During the Nitro runs, 3 people deep all the way around the track. The problem is we do not have anything for them to set on, I have been on the look out for portable bleachers, but I have not found them. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. During the hot season here in Mississippi we do not as many watching because of the heat, on the cooler days, we do. In fact we increase the flow of people on the days we race for the store (Bass Pro). But the real issue is... NOT ONE LHS supports the race program at Bass Pro. So no one is really available to address questions, we do this between rounds. I put up all the money to have a portable track, scoring, etc. to run this program, because I feel this is the only way to grow R/C in Jackson MS. It all started with a single race (Nov of 2006), we increase the number of customers during that R/C event, so they gave us 10 more dates they wanted to us to race (once a month) for 2007. So take a look at your local town and if you have a Bass Pro, you to have a place to get BIG exposure!!!

It is hell of alot of work, but it is growing R/C...

On the Pictures, sorry but I just found someone to take pictures... It is really hard to run a race, race 2 classes and take pictures... Yes I have help, but we all racers and want to race also. Since I'm not a LHS, I'm racer, I'm going to race long before I'm going to take pictures....

But take a look, (www.rcracingxtreme.com) pictures on page the of the month and results are on. July, was so hot (Heat Index was around 105), you could not expect anyone to stand out there very long. As I run Nitro, and this is the time when the most people are out watching, it is hard to show you the crowd of people... But with the Sept race (ROAR Reg 6) is running at this track, I will try to get some crowd pictures for you.... Do not think they are standing the whole time to watch all races... They come and go as they have no place to set and watch.

If anyone has a contact at ESPN, I will be more then happy to call them.

Remember this is not my job this is my hobby....
Old 08-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by XNXIXTXRXOX
8000-10000 people is an huge amount. when you think about it, how many of those would be motivated to goto a local hobby store and maybe not buy but at least look around. the problem is, is that an introductary nitro rc is a little difficult to produce. you can't just make a quality car, with an enexpensive price tag. the engine will not perform and the car wont last at all. newcomers need to be "educated" as to what there getting. from most of the people i know, they think its too expensive and would rather get some shit from radioshack... people need to know that they get what they pay for. i think the unjustified price is one of the turn offs to newbies.
Well I would not recommend to any newbie to start in Nitro, unless the just have to do that and have few extra thousand setting around... What we just have developed and have not used it at Bass Pro at this point, is a new class, see the attachment... for 375.00 they can hit the track and they have there own class, and the support of the other racers...

Use any RTR... The car is not the point, it is the tires, motor and batteries... and a AC/DC charger... to get them started...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RTR Kit.pdf (60.9 KB, 148 views)
Old 08-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

as a new comer to the hobby recently buying an electric drifter to learn controll and cordination amoung others i know how expensive the hobby can be $260 au and since buying 2 weeks ago i have spent over 200 in parts. hitting a pole at 20k's sideways is not kind to any car. already looking into nitro mainly the hobao gpx4 which is rtr 2spd and aparently race legal with a hyper 12 and with a pro upgrade kit costing 200AU thus this car seems a good investment to me but at 600AU and the obvious time/ expense involved must consider the options seriously with the local track 1/2 an hour away. im seriously starting to consider trying to get the 4 lhs to get together and run racedays down near the beach in a very popular park with large event area. directly across the raod from a major shopping centre. my main drawback is the time effort and knowledge required and as a youngin would realy like to see higher publicity even if competing or running close to others is outa my reach affordability and convenience are what would sell me

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.