Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what starter box for 10th scale?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default what starter box for 10th scale?

im going to buy a mugen mtx 4r... but any starter box i know works

so which one do i buy?

if it matters, im going to buy a ninja .12

is there a reason to spend 100 bucks on a box, or is there something cheaper that will work?

i need more money for servos and all... so id rather not spend 100 bucks, but if theres a reason or need.... then i will
Old 07-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've been running the ofna boxes for years. Make sure that you get the starter box with a control panal. It has a built in glow ignitor that attached to the 12V battery that comes in handy.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Zac Project
I've been running the ofna boxes for years. Make sure that you get the starter box with a control panal. It has a built in glow ignitor that attached to the 12V battery that comes in handy.
thats cool! but when ur at the track starting that sounds like a pita, is the cord long?

if i do that, would i have to get a seperate glow starter?

im trying to get the best right off, i know that sometime in the near future i will wish i did this.... so im trying
Old 07-17-2007, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

whils this thread is here

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMN95&P=ML

the big hot shot, or

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXME72&P=ML

the smaller one, i used the lil one for 4 years... and idk where it is lol... started all my engines ALOT and lasted for lots and lots of charges

but which one? i know the main diff is 1500 mah vr's 5000... but what do ppl use?

i think i might do a start box and the glow plug ignitor, and then a small aa ignitor for the pit times and all so my engine doesnt die
Old 07-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Tech Rookie

I have just purchased a TM X5 starter box for my TM g4s. Just wondering whether there is a need to change the motor position. i intent to use 7.2v batteries. Any advise is appreciated.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Tech Champion

My advice :

Flat bed and direct drive ---> NO BELT.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Mugen on-road starter box is the best for MTX,MRX series cars. I have used them all. The ofna true start is nice too because you can use the piece of plastic that comes with your car to line it up.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

nice mugen box

i want that one lol

is it nice?
Old 07-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
nice mugen box

i want that one lol

is it nice?
Most people use two 6 cell stick packs to run the Mugen starter box. I don't think that it comes with any batteries like any other box. You will need a way to charge the 6 cell packs. The Mugen box is smaller and alot lighter then the Ofna box. Plenty of power to start the 1/8th scales also.

I use the Ofna box and like it because of the power panel that you can get for it extra. The power panel lets you know if you are low on charge and you plug the igniter cord into it and never have to worry where it is. No one steals it and it doesn't roll away, it's always with the starter box when you need it. The panel also lets you know if the glow plug is good or not. It uses a 12V sealed lead acid battery and you will need a 12V charger for it.

Either of these two are the top of the line boxes, you just need to make up you mind if you want to deal with the weight and size of the Ofna one. My 2 cents.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR
Most people use two 6 cell stick packs to run the Mugen starter box. I don't think that it comes with any batteries like any other box. You will need a way to charge the 6 cell packs. The Mugen box is smaller and alot lighter then the Ofna box. Plenty of power to start the 1/8th scales also.

I use the Ofna box and like it because of the power panel that you can get for it extra. The power panel lets you know if you are low on charge and you plug the igniter cord into it and never have to worry where it is. No one steals it and it doesn't roll away, it's always with the starter box when you need it. The panel also lets you know if the glow plug is good or not. It uses a 12V sealed lead acid battery and you will need a 12V charger for it.

Either of these two are the top of the line boxes, you just need to make up you mind if you want to deal with the weight and size of the Ofna one. My 2 cents.

how much starting time do u get on IB wce matched and zapped 4200's? i use these for racing my elec car... so if it isnt alot of run time, then thats crap

how much is a lead acid 12 volt batt? i can charge them on my super brain 989, so no prob there..... and how many MAH is the big ones? more then enuff for a whole day?

can i hook up a lead acid to a mugen box?
Old 07-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
how much starting time do u get on IB wce matched and zapped 4200's? i use these for racing my elec car... so if it isnt alot of run time, then thats crap

how much is a lead acid 12 volt batt? i can charge them on my super brain 989, so no prob there..... and how many MAH is the big ones? more then enuff for a whole day?

can i hook up a lead acid to a mugen box?
A lot of guys just use old 3800's or some other batteries that they have laying around. On a full charge they will last all day easily.

The lead acid batteries are about $35-$40 a Radio Shack.

Either way you go you need to charge them before each race day but they will last the whole day.

A lot of guys like to use my Ofna box each day so I bet that my box starts at least 40 cars each race day and the power panel still show that it is at full power. The battery in it is a 12Volt- 7.2 AH capacity battery. I usually need to replace it each year at the start of the gas season.

The lead acid batteries are to big to fit inside of the Mugen boxes and the 12V would be to high of voltage for the two motors in the Mugen box.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR
A lot of guys just use old 3800's or some other batteries that they have laying around. On a full charge they will last all day easily.

The lead acid batteries are about $35-$40 a Radio Shack.

Either way you go you need to charge them before each race day but they will last the whole day.

A lot of guys like to use my Ofna box each day so I bet that my box starts at least 40 cars each race day and the power panel still show that it is at full power. The battery in it is a 12Volt- 7.2 AH capacity battery. I usually need to replace it each year at the start of the gas season.

The lead acid batteries are to big to fit inside of the Mugen boxes and the 12V would be to high of voltage for the two motors in the Mugen box.
well if they will last a day, thats all i want! that would be awsome! and light... and one less thing i need to buy

nice, id like to do the big lead acid, but then its like, when u walk to the other side of the track and if the car die i have to run all the way back to the other side (not a big walk or anything) just would be esier to have where i can hual it around
Old 07-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

mugen.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

If you can find them, get an X5 (Part No: 111016)

Ask your LHS
I know we have some left at TMA

These boxes are great!

BM
Old 07-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
mugen.
i think so also

Originally Posted by British Menace
If you can find them, get an X5 (Part No: 111016)

Ask your LHS
I know we have some left at TMA

These boxes are great!

BM
i think mugen, fits my needs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.