R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Exclamation Need knowledge on Clutches and Diffrent tooth Gears? How they effect performance?

Just Ordered a Nitro Star T15 engine from Towerhobbies for my 1/10 scale, 4wd Shaft driven, Nitro buggy. Should be hear on Monday, hopefully sooner!! Anyway, I have this Drag/Track race coming up soon, Friend keeps talking trash on my car cuz he has a Tmaxx truck not even broken in yet, and a Savage X which is Much more...Beat'in Anyway, It's easy to say that He Has way more Power using the 3.3 in the Tmaxx and a Big block in the Savage. Me only having a .15 engine that cranks out 1.49 HP @29,000rpm, I have to get him in the gearing. I Have a 2 shoe clutch assembly on my Buggy now, with a factory tooth bell Crank.

Could i Go and Buy a Higher toothed Bell Crank, 3 or 4 shoe Clutch assembly, to boost my performance? I was thinking of going with a 14-18 tooth range.

What would this do for me?

I don't know much about Clutches or Gear tooth numbers, Can somone Send me some Pointers? So 2 weeks from now, i can go smoke my friends attitude out the window!!
Drifthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:36 AM   #2
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The clutch is mostly only helpful for the first 5 feet coming out of a corner, the rest is all gearing and torque. A larger pinion or smaller spur gear will help you here, it's hard to tell really how far is too far but usually 8th scale offroad cars start at 13t, and can be safely geared to 15t without problems for more top speed but you sacrifice a lot coming out of the corner but you could adjust the clutch to spool a little later.
brianhatesnitro is offline   Reply With Quote