R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   ??? about radio and battery pack (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/17075-about-radio-battery-pack.html)

alucard13 04-25-2003 07:56 PM

??? about radio and battery pack

I just bought a NTC3 kit and starter box from a friend of mine. the only things i need are:

1. a charger for the starter box. It an OFNA Racing super starter. the batteries that are in thier say: 3000 Nimh high Voltage stock Metal Hydride. What kind of charger should i get for it and where can i get it?

2. For the reciever batteries the kit instructions say i can use a battery harness, 5 cell hump pack or a flat 5 cell receiver pack. Which one would be best to use, and again where can i get one?

3. Last but certainly not least i need a radio and servos. I was looking at the XS3 RS300, but its about 239.00. A little too rich for my blood right now. Is thier anything else like that that is crystal free and good quality like the XS3 RS300? If so what is it called and where can i get it?

I know the first answer will be "check your lhs." I will check my lhs but if they dont have a good selection i would like a backup plan.

thanx for the help :)

RedScorp 04-25-2003 08:08 PM

Re: ??? about radio and battery pack

Originally posted by alucard13
I just bought a NTC3 kit and starter box from a friend of mine. the only things i need are:

1. a charger for the starter box. It an OFNA Racing super starter. the batteries that are in thier say: 3000 Nimh high Voltage stock Metal Hydride. What kind of charger should i get for it and where can i get it?

In all honesty, the cheapest way to go about this is to pick up a 13 dollar gell cell from your LHS and they should have lead battery wall chargers with alligator clips for somewhere around 12 bucks. I think that this would be easier as well, but I haven't seen the super starter so I'm not sure.

2. For the reciever batteries the kit instructions say i can use a battery harness, 5 cell hump pack or a flat 5 cell receiver pack. Which one would be best to use, and again where can i get one?

I recommend you get a flat pack and remove the battery brace thingy (that's my technical term) and zip tie the flat pack up off the chassis to the bottom of the radio tray. Trinity makes a blue shrinkwrapped 1100 mAH pack, but I use the generic yellow shrink wrapped 5 cell flat pack which works just fine.

3. Last but certainly not least i need a radio and servos. I was looking at the XS3 RS300, but its about 239.00. A little too rich for my blood right now. Is thier anything else like that that is crystal free and good quality like the XS3 RS300? If so what is it called and where can i get it?

You won't find any sythesised radios for less that $250 or so unless you buy one used. If it's synthesised I would recommend against buying used because you could get a "dirty" radio and not know it. I use the JR XR3, and it's just fine. I just purchased 2 Airtronics 357 servos off ebay in great condition for $140 bucks for both. That's a great deal. I will look up the guys name, he's in Singapore, I know he lists brand new Airtronics M8 radios and typically his auctions close at about 150 bucks and shipping was around 19 dollars.

I know the first answer will be "check your lhs." I will check my lhs but if they dont have a good selection i would like a backup plan.

thanx for the help :)

alucard13 04-25-2003 08:22 PM

no reply, just a quote?

EDIT:
nevermind, didnt see the bold answers....thats what happens when you use the cell phone too much.....DOH!! sorry bout that :)

RedScorp 04-25-2003 08:46 PM

Correction....not a gell cell, but a sealed Lead battery.

RedScorp 04-25-2003 08:48 PM

tqchallenger is the guy that I bought the servos from. He has also sold M8's. You'll see in his feedback. Hope this helps.

alucard13 04-25-2003 08:59 PM

yes, all the info helps alot. thanx again :)

XtremeMDX 04-25-2003 09:22 PM

NTC3

Receiver battery--5 cell flat pack. Get the radio, that package is excellent. I have an M8($200+) with the Novak Switch($114.00), teamed up with a Novak XXL($ 110.00). This is required to get this system totally crystal free. If you add it up the XS3 RS300 is a steal!! Do not hesitate to get this radio since in the long run this will save you tons of money, especially if you decide to get another car. The batteries in the Ofna starter box, just exactly what scorp said, if the battery is the motorcycle type of battery for about $ 25.00 and up you can get a motorcyle battery charger with a built in battery conditioner function, this is definitely the better alternative compared to the wall charger approach.

RedScorp 04-25-2003 09:24 PM

Hmm that's a good idea...I didn't even know they had motorcycle chargers like that. I'll have to look into that. Although I can get lead batteries through work for about 10 bucks, so the longevity of the battery...for me, isn't that much of a concern.

Good idea.

nitrosaurus 04-25-2003 09:56 PM

I got the xs3 for 165 on sale. No more, though. Great radio by the way, but they(digital) drain batteries quickly.

alucard13 04-26-2003 09:56 AM

i went ahead and got the XR3i JR radio. I wanted the crystal free, but 239 is a little too much for me right now. i got this one for 169. It looks like a good radio.