R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   How do i calculate my stop speed? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/168958-how-do-i-calculate-my-stop-speed.html)

GunMetal 06-19-2007 08:12 PM

How do i calculate my stop speed?

Hello im new here and would like to say hello to everyone.I have a 2 speed clutchbell and 2 speed tranny which i will install in my car,but before i do i need to know what top speed i will get with this setup, if someone can calculate this speed that would be great

Clutchbell- small gear 12t
Big Gear is 17t

Transmission- Small Gear-44t
Big Gear-48t

I will be running standar 2.2 stadium truck tires
and I will be running a Vspec Engine 44,000 max rpm

Thanks in advance.

thunderbt3 06-20-2007 05:51 AM

You gotta find out your internal gear ratio from the gear reduction from the transmission/pulleys/diffs. Also, the RPM that OS provides you is the ideal MAX rpm the engine will pull. If tuned incorrectly, you wont see that RPM. Also, if you're using 2.2 truck tires, those expand alot when going fast. That changes your tire diameter thus fudging the calculation. So if you do go thru the calculation, you get the ideal max speed if the tires are not expanding. You are also excluding air resistance and hp loss thru the drive train.

Best way to find your top speed: find a cop with a radar gun, theyre always amazed with nitro rc's, well most of them anyways

roadrage 06-20-2007 01:36 PM

get a radar gun

thamjk 06-20-2007 06:48 PM

There is a speed simulation build by serpent for serpent 720. I can't remember the link but if you are interested please go and have a search. All you need here is enter all your pulley no. of teeth and engine RPM. There you should be able to see the speed display at the bottom of the screen.

hope it helps..

Marcos.J 06-20-2007 06:50 PM

:lol:

Originally Posted by roadrage (Post 3416356)
get a radar gun

lol

just run the car on the highway and drive your actual car behind it :lol:

team novarossi 06-21-2007 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by thunderbt3 (Post 3415307)
Best way to find your top speed: find a cop with a radar gun, theyre always amazed with nitro rc's, well most of them anyways

I did that once in Holland... hitting a stunning 114km/h on a countrylane with my vector (did it a few years back...) and the officer was indeed impressed..but after the speeding trip he kindly asked me not to do it again :P
At that time the limit of that road was 80...He could not believe his eyes that such a sweet screaming machine could rip the limit so easy, so he found it kinda dangerous.

today the dropped the limit even further back....to 60 km/h :(
good news is, that If I run my Motonica&359 there now I will do (almost) double the limit
:p

GunMetal 06-24-2007 09:05 AM

re

very nice,I looked into the serpent calculator and is giving me a top speed of about 50mph,i dont know if thats right, i have a 12/17 clutchbell and a 44/48 tranny with 2.2 inch tires.