Wiki Posts
Search

engine dead maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Default engine dead maybe?

Hi ,

I have a Tamiya TG-10, which I have not used for about 8 months, every time I would walk past it, I pulled the cord to ensure the engine would not seize. Yesterday, I tried to start it and I just could not get it to go, even after I went and got new fuel and new starter batteries.

I pulled the plug out of it last night and the top of the piston was a browny colour like rust. Does this mean the engine is now no good. Would a new sleeve and piston fix it, or do I need a new motor.

I did the last sleeve and piston on my own, but now finding it hard to undo the 4 screws on top of the head, any suggestions on how to get these off.

If I need a new motor any suggestions on a good brand, (low price) as this is just a weekend play toy. Force? OS max-CV?, HPI savage? HoBao ? and will these engines fit?

Please help

Regards

James
Old 06-18-2007, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Go with an OS. My last OS lasted 12 gallons before I sold it and it still runs.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jim-bob
Hi ,

I pulled the plug out of it last night and the top of the piston was a browny colour like rust. Does this mean the engine is now no good. Would a new sleeve and piston fix it, or do I need a new motor.

I did the last sleeve and piston on my own, but now finding it hard to undo the 4 screws on top of the head, any suggestions on how to get these off.
...the piston will not rust, it's aluminum......your probably seeing varnish left over from combustion..........try a NEW glow plug.....
Old 06-19-2007, 04:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Ok, I took the plug out and dropped a couple of drops of fuel down the hole, put plug back in and started first pull. whats coming out the exhaust is pretty dirty and prob will be for a while, but the car seems to be running ok for the moment.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jim-bob
Ok, I took the plug out and dropped a couple of drops of fuel down the hole, put plug back in and started first pull. whats coming out the exhaust is pretty dirty and prob will be for a while, but the car seems to be running ok for the moment.
What might have happened if you had left any fuel in the carby , fuel lines or tank is that the fuel will evaperate and leave the oil which will glug up the fuel system and stop the fuel flow.
Whats coming out of the pipe will most likely be the gluggy left overs from what was left in the fuel system.