Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Kyosho VoneR Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 07:18 PM
Tech Regular

this prolly could b the stupidest question i've ever asked but for starter boxes that need 12v batts, do the batts go in the starter box or do u have to carry around wit u outside of the starter box

Last edited by NitroNut; 03-07-2003 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2003, 12:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default batt for starter

most motor in starter boxes on the market required 2 x 7.2v batt packs. These 7.2v ni-mh batt pack (stick type) where 6 cells are connected/soldered vertically (2x3). These batt are quite compact in size and will fit most starter boxes.
Alternatively, you may buy a 12v Lead Acid Batt. (available in various sizes and capacity) where you need to get a set of cable to connect the batt and the starter box. Although this batt is much cheaper but it weights more (depending on what size the batt you get) Generally, smaller batt (capacity) of this type offers shorter time whereas larger such as (7 amp) offers longer usage time.
But as i mentioned if you are not goin to carry it all the times (on the track) then this is the batt to go b'cos its cheaper as compared to the stick type 7.2v batt where these batt. are much lighter but at a higher cost.
Due to their compact size, these 7.2v stick type batt can be fitted within the starter boxes itself and permit more freedom if you need to carry the starter around the track. Now you can even get these 7.2v batt ni-mh @ 3300 mah which will last you for around 40 starts for your motor.

Hope this helps...
Old 03-08-2003, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

AYE!!! thx that helped alot can u recommend me a good starter box, i saw this one on towerhobbies tell me what u think http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAXU5&P=7 is this one only for 12v batt?

also tell me what u think bout this batt charger also http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL357&P=7 also
Old 03-08-2003, 07:45 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by NitroNut
AYE!!! thx that helped alot can u recommend me a good starter box, i saw this one on towerhobbies tell me what u think http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAXU5&P=7 is this one only for 12v batt?

also tell me what u think bout this batt charger also http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL357&P=7 also
this starter box is super heavy duty and will eat up your packs quick.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:50 AM
Tech Champion

How about this?

Old 03-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Tech Regular

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCSZ5&P=7 isnt this same thing as that? it looks nice bah gotta find diff starter box then what bout the charger?
Old 03-08-2003, 08:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

i guess this starter box is on the market for quite some time already, and the motors are 540. Although this would do the same job starting your engine but if you dont mind it eats up your batt quickly, then go ahead...
another good thing about the X5 is that it allows you to mount the motor at different position either vertically or horizontally. This makes it much easier for you as you have no problems starting a NTC3, RR, MTX-3...etc..should you change your car next time without having to sell the starter...

Old 03-08-2003, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

fine i am getting this bad boy ty! eh.. batts recommendation brand or ne thing?
Old 03-08-2003, 12:30 PM
Tech Regular

Default Starter Box Batteries

One thing you will want to note is that if you go with the Sealed Lead Acid 12v, you will want to use a single cell 12V charger that has enough current to charge the battery. Some chargers on the market will charge a single cell, but can not push the currnet needed to charge it in a timely manner. I simply use an automotive car battery charger which seems to do the trick.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Default Starter Boxes

Guys;

I've recently purchased the Team Magic Alpha Starter Box and I love it. Plenty of power, small and lightweight. With two 3300GP packs, I can start all of our cars and still have some to spare.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

Default solid rear axles

i was thinking about trying out a solid rear axle.... is it worth it? has anyone had experiences with these ?
Old 03-08-2003, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

oh yeah jus remember if your tyres aren't trued what would happen what's benefits of trued tyres? y not just use like x pattern tyres or v or something but most of racers i see are trued tyres.

Last edited by NitroNut; 03-08-2003 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by NitroNut
fine i am getting this bad boy ty! eh.. batts recommendation brand or ne thing?
you can go for 3000mah Ni-mh / 3300mah Ni-mh batt by Sanyo/ Panasonic. I am using the Sanyo 3000mah Ni-mh 7.2v stick type.
These are high voltage batt cells and are extra durable. But make sure you know how to take care of them...i.e never overcharge these batt or they'll be ruined very quickly...
So, you need an average charger that has the basic function like the Auto-Cut off mode when the charger detects full charge of the batts. I use the Schulze Electronik Chamelon 330-d DC charger made in Germany. For me, this charger is good enough as it can take up to 30 cells. I use it to charge the Rx pack, Tx pack, 12v Lead Acid, 7.2v 3000 mah ni-mh stick type batt for starter box...etc...it has two output which allows me to charge my 7.2v batt and Rx pack simultaneously...
but there are plenty of good chargers out there...such as AC/ DC charger...AC charger is more convenient as you can plug right in and charge your batts, but DC charger requires a AC-DC power supply converter as you cannot draw the current right out from the power outlet/wall socket, so a power supply is needed to convert the current from the power outlet to 12v for use with the DC charger. However, DC charger can draw power from your 12v car battery when you are at the track where you have no access to power outlets. you might want to do some research before you make your decisions...

Last edited by RClover; 03-09-2003 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:16 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: solid rear axles

Originally posted by mitch179
i was thinking about trying out a solid rear axle.... is it worth it? has anyone had experiences with these ?
Well one of the many considerations for a solid rear axle is your track layout. I dont know if you are in Southern California or have seen the layout at revlation, but I would say the first consideration is whether or not you need one based on the layout of your local track. Basically you are setting up your sedan to be a 1/10th scale Fantom. A lot of onpower steering, depending in your suspension setup and motor. There are a lot of unknowns to your question.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

ANYONE HAVE A RUBBER TIRE SET UP ? THANKS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.